It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

igrok: It still works in vanilla wine-4.0.2. Did you patch the game's dll files? Because I didn't patch anything and only changed winmm to native,builtin with winecfg. (I think patching dlls for winmm override was only necessary with old versions of wine and the changes which make this unnecessary must have been ported from crossover to wine by now). However, in vanilla wine I can't change game settings with olcfg.exe, because it crashes. Aside from that the game runs well.
I tried both with stock DLLs and patched ones (to avoid winmm.dll collision). It works in both cases (so patching isn't needed anymore indeed), but music is just too fast, unless I use staging.

I'm using Wine 5.0 series (rc in my case) for the reference.
Post edited January 21, 2020 by shmerl
So has anyone gotten the Windows DVD verson of Wing Commander IV to work in WINE? Last I checked there was some kind of media library issue that caused the game to crash on startup.
rampancy: So has anyone gotten the Windows DVD verson of Wing Commander IV to work in WINE? Last I checked there was some kind of media library issue that caused the game to crash on startup.
Is there a particular reason to use Windows version when there is one for DOS?
Just applied ddraw.dll hack for Outlaws, and it stopped changing resolution each time it enters the menu. Thanks for the hint @adamhm!
Game: Alder's Blood Prologue
Version: 1.0.12
Installer MD5: b80708dfc74dc31d85a791e33f4f28a5 setup_alders_blood_prologue_1.0.12_(35894).exe

Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 64-bit
Kernel version: 5.3.0-28-generic x86_64
Graphics card: Intel Haswell Mobile
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 5.1 64-bit
WineHQ AppDB link: no entry for this game

Install notes: Installs correctly. 4 traditional pop-up runtime errors' messages end the installation process, but with no further impact.
How well does it run: Works well. Forcing my cooling system significantly, but works with perfect performance. The game has not been completed, only a few scenes played.
Details: I'm using budget laptop with Intel Pentium CPU 3550M 2×2.30GHz + integrated Intel HD Graphics on board. I'm using PlayOnLinux (without their predefined scripts).
Trying King's Bounty: The Legend on WINE 5.0 I get very poor performances, cf. bug report on ./play.it issues tracker.

Anyone here has some experience to share with this game and WINE?
vv221: Trying King's Bounty: The Legend on WINE 5.0 I get very poor performances, cf. bug report on ./play.it issues tracker.

Did you try using dxvk, or it's not using d3d9?
Post edited February 19, 2020 by shmerl
shmerl: Did you try using dxvk, or it's not using d3d9?
I did a quick check, leading to a crash on game launch.
I plan to go back to dxvk for more tests.
vv221: Trying King's Bounty: The Legend on WINE 5.0 I get very poor performances, cf. bug report on ./play.it issues tracker.

I played KB: The Legend many years ago (Steam version; didn't know about GOG back then) with no issues, I'm assuming I was probably using a version of Wine in the 1.x range. More recently, King's Bounty Dark Side has very good performance using Wine 2.6.
vv221: Anyone here has some experience to share with this game and WINE?
I've had this problem for some time. I was thinking it was some issue with my system but it seems I am not the only one.
eric5h5: (…)
igrok: (…)
If the performance issues I get are related to this WINE bug, it would only affect The Legend, using WINE ≥ 2.11.
That’s what I’m trying to learn by gathering feedback, as for now I’m not absolutely sure this is indeed this bug I experienced.
Interesting, looks like the game programming is borked and bad performance is actually correct behavior for what the game is doing. Looks like it's worth having old versions of Wine around for edge cases like that, and that would explain why I didn't have any issues with 1.x.
eric5h5: Looks like it's worth having old versions of Wine around for edge cases like that
That’s exactly what PlayOnLinux do, but I never feel satisfied when I settle on doing this instead of finding a work-around for current WINE version ;)
I tried it quickly with Crossover 19. The combat is so sluggish that it is unplayable, however, installing DXVK makes it bearable. It is still kind of slow though, but not as bad.
igrok: (…)
Thanks, it would tend to confirm that dxvk is indeed the way to go with this game. I’ll focus on it for my next tests session.