It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Game: Interstate '82
Installer MD5s:
e302b8006a50528d19af143caa7b2419 setup_interstate82_2.0.0.8.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: Retail
CodeWeavers link: none

Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop: Mate 1.12.1
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic i686 (32 bit)

GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.15 with CSMT via PlayOnLinux

Couldn't get it to run

EDIT: Got it running but used a previously installed prefix, it has the following installed that I can see, IE8 DX9 (seems to be full) & 10 mfc42, msxlm3, quartz, riched20, usp10, wininit, wintrust, xmllite, crypt32.

but I'm leaving my first test data, as I did try creating a new .wine and installing this but it still fails, so I'm missing something
Post edited August 06, 2016 by te_lanus
Gydion: So, Parkan: Iron Strategy or are you in the middle of a regression test?
Tried it, and I fail to get it running. Fails with:
X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 31 (X_GLXCreateWindow)
Serial number of failed request: 1050
Current serial number in output stream: 1051
JudasIscariot: ...
Gydion: So, Parkan: Iron Strategy or are you in the middle of a regression test?
I've actually gotten it to run perfectly, except for the movies, which I can't quite fully figure out. I tried just about everything (installing Indeo Video, wmp9, CCCP) but nothing seems to work. The problem is that the movies lead to wonkiness upon startup (on my system at least), with the game window minimizing and maximizing suddenly. I got around all of that by disabling the movies (by renaming their files).

The only reason why I haven't made an official listing for it is that the only thing that seems to work is either CrossOver, or CrossOver's current fork of WINE run within Wineskin. Both Vanilla and staging 1.9.15 only give a black screen, or suffer from severe flickering/graphical corruption issues.
Post edited August 06, 2016 by rampancy
JudasIscariot: ...
Actually, I am in the middle of running multiple UE4 games to see what bugs pop out since a new patch was introduced in this bug report :)

As for regression testing, I seriously need an ELI5 guide on this because I can do the following commands:

git good wine 1.8
git bad wine 1.9

It shows me some random commit and then what? In short, I need regression testing for dummies and I am not afraid to admit it.
rampancy: I've actually gotten it to run perfectly, except for the movies, which I can't quite fully figure out. I tried just about everything (installing Indeo Video, wmp9, CCCP) but nothing seems to work. The problem is that the movies lead to wonkiness upon startup (on my system at least), with the game window minimizing and maximizing suddenly. I got around all of that by disabling the movies (by renaming their files).

The only reason why I haven't made an official listing for it is that the only thing that seems to work is either CrossOver, or CrossOver's current fork of WINE run within Wineskin. Both Vanilla and staging 1.9.15 only give a black screen, or suffer from severe flickering/graphical corruption issues.
Have you tried amstream, devenum, and quartz for Parkan? What is the output in the terminal?
Post edited August 06, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: As for regression testing, I seriously need an ELI5 guide on this because I can do the following commands:

git good wine 1.8
git bad wine 1.9

It shows me some random commit and then what? In short, I need regression testing for dummies and I am not afraid to admit it.
start the bisecting with

git bisect start
git bisect good wine 1.8
git bisect bad wine 1.9

that will pick the commit exactly in the middle between 1.8 and 1.9
now compile, start the game and test if the regression is present
if yes type: git bisect bad << will pick a commit between this commit and 1.8
if not type: git bisect good << will pick a commit between this commit and 1.9

continue until you have it gives you the exact commit which produced the regression

there is a more detailed guide on the winehq wiki, it hink. Let me see if I can find it
//edit: https://wiki.winehq.org/Regression_Testing#A_Walkthrough
Post edited August 06, 2016 by immi101
JudasIscariot: As for regression testing, I seriously need an ELI5 guide on this because I can do the following commands:

git good wine 1.8
git bad wine 1.9

immi101: start the bisecting with

git bisect start
git bisect good wine 1.8
git bisect bad wine 1.9

continue until you have it gives you the exact commit which produced the regression

there is a more detailed guide on the winehq wiki, it hink. Let me see if I can find it
Alright but I would have to install the game with that version. I know that as long as I don't attempt to $make install this version of Wine, it won't interfere with my system Wine but how do I ensure I am able to install the game and then run it with that particular version of Wine?

Like I said, I need an actual ELI5 for this.
immi101: start the bisecting with

git bisect start
git bisect good wine 1.8
git bisect bad wine 1.9

JudasIscariot: Alright but I would have to install the game with that version. I know that as long as I don't attempt to $make install this version of Wine, it won't interfere with my system Wine but how do I ensure I am able to install the game and then run it with that particular version of Wine?
you can adjust the PATH variable to make sure that your self-built wine is picked up before the system wine.
run like this in the terminal:

PATH=/path/to/wine/build/dir:$PATH wine <cmd>

for convenience you can make yourself an alias:
open ~/.bashrc in a text editor
add at the end:
alias wine-git='PATH=/path/to/wine/build/dir:$PATH wine'

save & reload config with:
source ~/.bashrc (or open a new terminal)
then you can start your self-built wine with the command 'wine-git' and your system wine is still available under 'wine'

check and compare the output of wine --version <vs> wine-git --version to see if it is working

it gets a bit more complicated if you want to use winetricks with that though.

//edit:
replace /path/to/wine/build/dir with the actual path of course :p
Post edited August 06, 2016 by immi101
JudasIscariot: Have you tried amstream, devenum, and quartz for Parkan? What is the output in the terminal?
Yes, I have, with no luck. From the output in my WINE logs I'm tempted to believe it's a part of bug 9127.
JudasIscariot: Alright but I would have to install the game with that version. I know that as long as I don't attempt to $make install this version of Wine, it won't interfere with my system Wine but how do I ensure I am able to install the game and then run it with that particular version of Wine?
immi101: you can adjust the PATH variable to make sure that your self-built wine is picked up before the system wine.
run like this in the terminal:

PATH=/path/to/wine/build/dir:$PATH wine <cmd>

for convenience you can make yourself an alias:
open ~/.bashrc in a text editor
add at the end:
alias wine-git='PATH=/path/to/wine/build/dir:$PATH wine'

save & reload config with:
source ~/.bashrc (or open a new terminal)
then you can start your self-built wine with the command 'wine-git' and your system wine is still available under 'wine'

check and compare the output of wine --version <vs> wine-git --version to see if it is working

it gets a bit more complicated if you want to use winetricks with that though.

//edit:
replace /path/to/wine/build/dir with the actual path of course :p
OK, in any case I can always easily remove my system Wine and reinstall it if need be but the thing that gets me is the commits. They have long hash numbers so how am I supposed to tell git that a given commit is good/bad?

See, the problem I have is twofold:

1. The good/bad thing in git seems to pick a random commit so how can I avoid wasting my time compiling Wine over and over and over?

2. They have long hash numbers. How do I properly tag the seemingly random commits when they have hash numbers a mile long?

I wouldn't whine about this if there was a 5 step process like so:

1. Bisect
2. Git shows a commit
3. I guess compile at this point?
4. Tag commit as good/bad
5. Move on to the next one I guess

or something a little less arcane...
JudasIscariot: I wouldn't whine about this if there was a 5 step process like so:

1. Bisect
2. Git shows a commit
Whiner. :p That's actually what you essentially do. I would leave your system-wide Wine installed and simply run the Bisect Wine from the build directory (it's set up to "Just work"). Unless it's an install bug no need to reinstall with each test. Use the existing prefix. Regression test is all about compiling Wine over and over again. You can speed it up some.

Prerequisites:
Install ccache. Set env variable CCACHE_DIR to e.g. CCACHE_DIR="$HOME/.ccache-regress"
Have an updated & pristine git repo:
cd ~/code/wine
git reset --hard HEAD
git checkout master
git clean -ffd
git pull --rebase
Start Bisect (last known working:wine-1.7.55 and earliest broken:wine-1.9.14):
#Begins bisect
git bisect start

#Working version of Wine
git bisect good wine-1.7.55

#Broken version of Wine
git bisect bad wine-1.9.14

#Speed up compile times use CC="ccache gcc" CFLAGS="-g -O0"
#E.G. on Debian
CC="ccache gcc" CFLAGS="-g -O0" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig ./configure --verbose --disable-tests --without-pulse --prefix=~/sommelier/winebisect && make -j 4

#Test build (different terminal)
cd /path/to/game
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/game" ~/code/wine/wine game.exe

#Still broken
git bisect bad

#Repeat
CC="ccache gcc" CFLAGS="-g -O0" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig ./configure --verbose --disable-tests --without-pulse --prefix=~/sommelier/winebisect && make -j 4
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/game" ~/code/wine/wine game.exe ##broken
git bisect bad
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/game" ~/code/wine/wine game.exe ##working
git bisect good
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/game" ~/code/wine/wine game.exe ##broken
git bisect bad
etc, etc, etc...
(Finished)
git bisect reset
The Bisect takes care of finding the commit for you. No need to tag them manually. It doesn't always take all that long. It is however rather tedious.
Post edited August 07, 2016 by Gydion
JudasIscariot: I wouldn't whine about this if there was a 5 step process like so:

1. Bisect
2. Git shows a commit
Gydion: Whiner. :p That's actually what you essentially do. I would leave your system-wide Wine installed and simply run the Bisect Wine from the build directory (it's set up to "Just work"). Unless it's an install bug no need to reinstall with each test. Use the existing prefix. Regression test is all about compiling Wine over and over again. You can speed it up some.
Thanks :P I actually took the risk and tried it but I am not sure if I did it right, though. Although, thank goodness ccache exists :D Made the whole thing a lot easier :D

One thing that worries me is that when I ran a regression test between wine-1.8 and wine-1.9.0, every commit was bad, that is, the bug showed up every single time (context: I was running a regression test for Worms 2 since it works on 1.8.3 but not on Wine-devel).
Post edited August 07, 2016 by JudasIscariot
So, it turns out that Worms 2 *will* work on Wine 1.9.16, one simply needs to have a symlink to an "nw2" directory in order to avoid the crash with the Visual C++ error.

The solution is in this comment by Bruno Jesus. The WINEDEBUG=+all output may have been a bit much but it helped find one culprit as to why the game appears to not work.
JudasIscariot: So, it turns out that Worms 2 *will* work on Wine 1.9.16, one simply needs to have a symlink to an "nw2" directory in order to avoid the crash with the Visual C++ error.

The solution is in this comment by Bruno Jesus. The WINEDEBUG=+all output may have been a bit much but it helped find one culprit as to why the game appears to not work.
i vaguely recall that the mentioned land.dat should get modified if you set up your game with the frontend.exe.
More precisely it calls another binary (landgen.exe) which writes the chosen level into land.dat.

if you run the frontend with WINDEBUG=+process you should see landgen.exe getting invoked.

if the land.dat is not getting changed (as it appears to be), then you should always see the same level regardless of what you set in frontend.exe.

still leaves the question whether it fails to execute landgen.exe or if landgen.exe fails for some reason
JudasIscariot: So, it turns out that Worms 2 *will* work on Wine 1.9.16, one simply needs to have a symlink to an "nw2" directory in order to avoid the crash with the Visual C++ error.

immi101: i vaguely recall that the mentioned land.dat should get modified if you set up your game with the frontend.exe.
More precisely it calls another binary (landgen.exe) which writes the chosen level into land.dat.

if you run the frontend with WINDEBUG=+process you should see landgen.exe getting invoked.

if the land.dat is not getting changed (as it appears to be), then you should always see the same level regardless of what you set in frontend.exe.

still leaves the question whether it fails to execute landgen.exe or if landgen.exe fails for some reason
So far I've been using the "Play quick game against the computer" option without delving into any settings whatsoever in the frontend.exe. Basically, I never picked a particular level to play.
Post edited August 08, 2016 by JudasIscariot
te_lanus: Tried it, and I fail to get it running. Fails with:

X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 31 (X_GLXCreateWindow)
Serial number of failed request: 1050
Current serial number in output stream: 1051
te_lanus:
That's bug 40767. They were just discussing a new patch for it this past week on wine-devel. Believe this may also be a race.
Post edited August 09, 2016 by Gydion