It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

By the way, I experimented a bit. The Saboteur benefits from forced anisotropic filtering.

With Mesa and AMD, force it in your game launch script with:

export R600_TEX_ANISO=16

Example:

With filtering: https://i.imgur.com/cAyGIPc.jpg
Without filtering: https://i.imgur.com/7q7lHFs.jpg

Pay attention to black lines that go along the sidewalk, and also textures on the house walls in the far end of the street.
Post edited February 13, 2019 by shmerl
Tested Mafia in Wine. It works nicely with widescreen fix:
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/releases/tag/mafia
If you set provided d3d8.dll as native override.

I don't think it's needed for widescreen support, but it adds a very nice long distance view, so you can see buildings from far away. Basically a lot increased LOD.

Setting:

New Distance = 1200.0

works nicely.

Also, to restore music in the game, see this thread.
Post edited February 15, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: Tested Mafia in Wine. It works nicely with widescreen fix:
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/releases/tag/mafia
If you set provided d3d8.dll as native override.

I don't think it's needed for widescreen support, but it adds a very nice long distance view, so you can see buildings from far away. Basically a lot increased LOD.

Setting:

New Distance = 1200.0

works nicely.

Also, to restore music in the game, see this thread.
Do you have any idea how I could get anti aliasing to work in Mafia 1 via proprietary Nvidia driver?
Klumpen0815: Do you have any idea how I could get anti aliasing to work in Mafia 1 via proprietary Nvidia driver?
The game supports its own AA settings, via the setup tool. I.e. run setup.exe from the game to configure it. It doesn't work for you?
Wine 4.3 is using faudio. Does anyone know if it requires faudio packages to work? Debian still has them in the new queue only and they didn't enter unstable yet.

https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/faudio_19.02-1.html
Post edited March 03, 2019 by shmerl
Since I am playing it right now, I figure I would give some information about how well it runs:

Game: The Bard's Tale Trilogy (remaster)
Installer MD5: d86c7bc0d38967cfa24853ca55108426 setup_the_bards_tale_trilogy_3.23_(27726).exe

Distro: Debian 9 (with backports repository enabled)
Desktop: fluxbox
Kernel version: I *think* 4.9, but I don't remember for sure (it's the one in debian 9)
Graphics card: Intel GPU (a recent one, but it's on a Celeron CPU)
Wine version(s) tested: 4.0-1~bpo9+2 (from stretch-backports)

Install notes: Installs fine. To run the game, add -force-glcore to the command line (via the shortcut or just write a one-line shell script)

The game works fine, except for two issues of missing text:
* The names of the Legacy Mode options are not visible. However, moving the mouse over to one of them will make the help text visible, so you can still use that to select which options you want without having to memorize them.
* When casting SCSI or APAR from the Journal, on the screen where you have to choose who will cast the spell, the text is missing, so you have to choose blindly. (I believe the choices are ordered by character, but I don't know how it works with items in party inventory or that are equipped by someone who can cast it as a spell.)

(Note that, on a low-power GPU like the one in this laptop, you will probably want to disable shadows so that the game runs smoothly.)
dtgreene: Game: The Bard's Tale Trilogy (remaster)
You can also try without forcing glcore using dxvk.
Post edited March 03, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: Wine 4.3 is using faudio. Does anyone know if it requires faudio packages to work? Debian still has them in the new queue only and they dind't enter unstable yet.
It's an optional build dependency. So, yes it will "work" without it. Just without any builtin XAudio2 support. If the game works with native overrides that will still work (possibly needing more XAudio2 overrides).
No distros ship FAudio yet. As you noted it's making its way into Debian and presumably Arch & the like will have it soon enough. If you have a not old version SDL2 dev package (e.g. for Debian testing & up) it's simple enough to compile FAudio yourself in the meantime. It also needs cmake. E.G. in an i386 schroot or equivalent:
cd $HOME/code
git clone https://github.com/FNA-XNA/FAudio.git
cd FAudio/
git checkout 19.03
mkdir build32
mkdir build64
cd build32
cmake ../
make
I'm assuming for a WOW64 build you need to build it again under amd64. To use that if building Wine 4.3 yourself add FAUDIO_CFLAGS & FAUDIO_LIBS to your configure command, e.g.
CC="ccache gcc" FAUDIO_CFLAGS="-I$HOME/code/FAudio/include" FAUDIO_LIBS='-L$HOME/code/FAudio/build32 -lFAudio' ./configure --disable-tests --prefix="$HOME/sommelier/wine-4.3"
I'm not sure if that's technically CFLAGS vs LIBS, but it works under it regardless.

Anyone know of a good game to test this with?
Post edited March 03, 2019 by Gydion
shmerl: Wine 4.3 is using faudio. Does anyone know if it requires faudio packages to work? Debian still has them in the new queue only and they didn't enter unstable yet.
OK, so it's not in the official WineHQ build for Debian. It did make it in the Fedora packages.

As an aside Wine Staging 4.3 reverted the FAudio patches for now.
ciemnogrodzianin: Yup, that's the way I understood that and that's also the reason I thought "Pentium 3550M with integrated Intel HD Graphics" is enough (or at least I don't know more and don't know how to find out more).
Heh, OK. Apparently, Intel® HD Graphics is the official name for you iGPU. Genius Intel. "The processor graphics contains a generation 7.5 graphics core architecture." Which I guess makes sense as it's a Haswell. Looks like what you have been using is fine.

Gydion: Are there specific bugs you are working around with DXVK? I know Wine's DX11 is still significantly incomplete. I believe, possibly wrongly, that DX10 should be further along.
adamhm: At this point I'm just treating DXVK as a normal part of Wine; at present Wine's builtin D3D10/11 implementations usually perform too poorly to consider and often have other issues too.
I know D3D11 is incomplete, e.g. auto DXVK. I'm not as sure about D3D10. However no one else chimed in and as I don't know either for now D3D10 can also be auto DXVK.

The current plan is to catch up on the thread late Sunday.
Gydion: Anyone know of a good game to test this with?
https://www.gog.com/game/seven_the_days_long_gone_demo

The sound is horrible without XAudio overrides.
Ganni1987: The sound is horrible without XAudio overrides.
That's why I put Wine packages on hold, until Debian will get faudio.
Mafia is consistently crashing for me right after Peppe's Bar shooting. Is it working for anyone?

UPDATE: I managed to work around it by pressing space which skips the cutscene. You can watch the cutscene first, but then it will crash. Next time just cancel it.
Post edited March 04, 2019 by shmerl
Rixasha: Game: Fight'N Rage
ciemnogrodzianin: Game: Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey
Added thanks.

adamhm: Game: Call of Juarez
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 3.10
adamhm: Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 3.10
adamhm: I have since updated the wrapper to Wine 4.0 though.
This looks good for the DX 10 version. Given it took me so long to get to do you want this to go in with Wine 4.0 or Staging 3.10? Just curios what were the DX 9 rendering issues anyway?
Post edited March 04, 2019 by Gydion
Ganni1987: https://www.gog.com/game/seven_the_days_long_gone_demo

The sound is horrible without XAudio overrides.
My decrepit GPU is not DX 11 capable. Unless that falls back to DX 9, which I assume it doesn't, I can't test that one.
I actually wanted to first check against some that was previously working with Wine's old builtin implementation. Looking, XAudio2 came out 2008. Pretty sure I have something that uses it.

te_lanus: Game: Book of Demons
CodeWeavers link: none
This looks good except for the none TLD link. If you could remove that thanks.

adamhm: Game: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
Wine version(s) tested: Proton 3.16-4
adamhm: Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Wine version(s) tested: Proton 3.16-4
Thanks, but these two are invalid.
Post edited March 04, 2019 by Gydion