It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ciemnogrodzianin: Game: Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death (Secrets of the Ark)
As game needs DirectX to run properly, directx9 package was also installed for Wine. Running the game without it results in black screen with sound only.
According to the bug linked against the Demo, this only needs native d3dcompiler_43 (POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43) to run. (Alternatively, d3dx9_36) I don't suppose you would retry with just that override versus the whole directx9 package?
Post edited August 07, 2018 by Gydion
Gydion: ...
Oh, no. I'm short of disc space and I removed the whole PoL virtual disc game yesterday :( I was waiting a bit with a few previous games just to be sure that there will be no questions from you, but this time I deleted immediately.

I'm always starting with plain Wine and adding packages as needed. As far as I remember I installed d3dx9_43 at first, but there was no effect, so I added a whole directx9. I think I won't surprise you if tell you that I have no idea what are the relations between these packages (I can see that directx9 contained many others, looked like some kind of metapackege) and I wasn't aware of the bug you mentioned. I don't even unnderstand why I can see so long list of d3dx9_* packages, when _36 and when _43 should be used, and what about all between. I was looking for some explanation here and there, asked even in this thread, but so far I haven't found a proper explanation. :/
ciemnogrodzianin: Oh, no. I'm short of disc space and I removed the whole PoL virtual disc game yesterday :( I was waiting a bit with a few previous games just to be sure that there will be no questions from you, but this time I deleted immediately.
That's unfortunate.
ciemnogrodzianin: I'm always starting with plain Wine and adding packages as needed. As far as I remember I installed d3dx9_43 at first, but there was no effect, so I added a whole directx9.
Well d3dx9_43 is not the correct override. It's d3dcompiler_43 which is a different .dll.
d3dx9_36 should also work instead of directx9.
te_lanus: Game: Forsaken Remastered
No longer needed: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_unannounced_addition_of_linux_and_macos_versions_thread/post281
Post edited August 09, 2018 by te_lanus
ciemnogrodzianin: I don't even unnderstand why I can see so long list of d3dx9_* packages, when _36 and when _43 should be used, and what about all between. I was looking for some explanation here and there, asked even in this thread, but so far I haven't found a proper explanation. :/
the list is that long due to the way Microsoft handled the release process. Instead of having one library and updating that one library continuously, the release each new update as a new library with a different name.
So they started out with d3dx9_24.dll and the next time they added/changed/updated something, they released it under the name d3dx9_25.dll, while keeping d3dx9_24.dll untouched.
That way they don't have to worry about breaking any existing applications when shipping a DirectX update.

Which of these these dlls you have to override depends on which dll your game actually uses.
So when you have a game that isn't working as it should, it is always a good first step to look at the dlls it is using.

if you run the game from the console with WINEDEBUG=+loaddll, you get a list of all dlls that are loaded by the process and you'll know exactly which d3dx9_* to override. (or which other overrides might be worth trying)
Post edited August 09, 2018 by immi101
immi101: ...
Thank you very much, that explains a lot!
If you ever wondered why WineHQ's test results are old or there is no results at all...

I reported results for Broken Sword: The Angel of Death a few days ago. In What works field I wrote:
Everything: gameplay on highest graphical options, intro, cut-scenes, outro, changing resolutions, saving and loading, switching between the game and different windows, keyboard and mouse controls.
Here's the answer I've received from WineHQ:
The test data you submitted for 'Broken Sword: The Angel of Death 1.1' has been rejected by Rob.
Reason given:
[i]Please don't use: "Everything...", "All works", etc. in test submissions.
Something like "Tested areas:" is more appropriate.
A short bullet-point list of tested areas is sufficient.[/i]
I started to make reports in WineHQ again only because Gydion asked me for it, but, sorry, that's just too much for me. I just hate their verification procedures, I hate wasting my time like that. OK, I'm an idiot or they're just f*cked up.
ciemnogrodzianin: If you ever wondered why WineHQ's test results are old or there is no results at all...

I started to make reports in WineHQ again only because Gydion asked me for it, but, sorry, that's just too much for me. I just hate their verification procedures, I hate wasting my time like that. OK, I'm an idiot or they're just f*cked up.
Their verification sux big time, I stopped a while ago to make repors, just because of this reasons.
immi101: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Thank you very much, that explains a lot!
you also can just install redistributable version of dx9, which, afaik, is sort of "compilation". Bloated, but fulfill all your needs
te_lanus: ...
Thanks. I was really thinking that it may be something wrong with me. Nice to know that I'm not alone at least. However I still use their database and it's really pitty that it works like that, I'd love to help to make it more up-to-date and reliable.

Gekko_Dekko: ...
That's exactly what I had done :) before I was explained here what should I do to avoid installing whole directx9. Thanks anyway - still quite probable that I'll end up with this solution next time! ;)
ciemnogrodzianin: I'm always starting with plain Wine and adding packages as needed. As far as I remember I installed d3dx9_43 at first, but there was no effect, so I added a whole directx9.
Gydion: Well d3dx9_43 is not the correct override. It's d3dcompiler_43 which is a different .dll.
Was that a typo or had you tried the wrong override? I'm trying to tell if d3dcompiler_43 didn't work for you for some reason.
No typo. I added d3dx9_43 (with no effect) and then added directx9 (which fixed the issue).
Added.
ciemnogrodzianin: Game: Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death (Secrets of the Ark)
As game needs DirectX to run properly, directx9 package was also installed for Wine. Running the game without it results in black screen with sound only.
If you could note here that this should work instead with just d3dcompiler_43 that would be great.
Noted.
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time works without major issues. I mean - there is some slowdown in cut scenes (probably was designed like that) and game doesnt recognize my gamepad, but aside from that its playable.

Managed to solve issue with controlling 2 characters simultaneously in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga by removing one of virtual devices in controller's list (out of box wine recognized my xbox360 wired gamepad as "js" and "event").

Raiden IV is broken - tried with both nvidia and intel gpus, but game's screen turn black after launch videos (game works - I can hear how I click menus and select things. But display stays pitch black)