It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ganni1987: No hoops required, just a few limitations though: DX9 and 32bit client. it runs quite well though :-)
Pangaea666: Good to hear. Do you have some kind of recipe for how I go about it? Or a link to one? I looked up the game on playonlinux, but the 'approved' script is from 2012, so waaaaay out of date.

I'll try to get it working, but given my lack of skills with such things, there is a pretty good chance it won't work unless it works out-of-the-box.
Which distro are you running? I could upload you an "unzip and run" package that would take care of most configuration. All you'd to have to do is click the 'start.sh' file and the game will start downloading.

I don't use PoL, Lutris or any launchers, instead I wrote a few scripts for Windows games which take care of most of the common Wine settings.

I guess the best way to start is by launching the game with a clean 64bit prefix. Earlier this afternoon I ran the game from Wine Staging 3.9 with a clean prefix, it didn't need any overrides or complicated settings.
Post edited May 28, 2018 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: Which distro are you running? I could upload you an "unzip and run" package that would take care of most configuration. All you'd to have to do is click the 'start.sh' file and the game will start downloading.

I don't use PoL, Lutris or any launchers, instead I wrote a few scripts for Windows games which take care of most of the common Wine settings.

I guess the best way to start is by launching the game with a clean 64bit prefix. Earlier this afternoon I ran the game from Wine Staging 3.9 with a clean prefix, it didn't need any overrides or complicated settings.
I'm running on Linux Mint 18.2. Was going to ask about Lutris actually, because I hadn't heard about it until I started reading about getting the game running, and some people mentioned it. Is this a good thing, say for instance an upgrade on Playonlinux? From my brief look so far, it is basically the same idea, but hopefully better maintained.

Currently downloading the game after 'installing' it in a 64-bit 3.8-staging bottle. Hopefully it runs, but there appears to be some issues from what I've read, so running perfectly with no tinkering is probably hoping for too much.

For instance, I've seen various advice on 32 vs 64bit.

Edit: Finally got the whole 10GB downloaded. Got an error about DX11 when running the launcher, so it reverted to DX9. Any way to solve this? The weird thing is that when I click on "Configure Wine" in Playonlinux, there is the spinning wheel for a few seconds, but the normal window simply doesn't show up. Same with many of the other options in the "Wine" tab. It works for my other games there, though they are in 32-bit. For all I know, DX11 isn't even installed (it's not listed under "Install components"), or the Windows version is set to WinXP or something.

But at least the launcher launches, albeit in DX9 mode.
Post edited May 29, 2018 by Pangaea666
Pangaea666: I'm running on Linux Mint 18.2. Was going to ask about Lutris actually, because I hadn't heard about it until I started reading about getting the game running, and some people mentioned it. Is this a good thing, say for instance an upgrade on Playonlinux? From my brief look so far, it is basically the same idea, but hopefully better maintained.

Currently downloading the game after 'installing' it in a 64-bit 3.8-staging bottle. Hopefully it runs, but there appears to be some issues from what I've read, so running perfectly with no tinkering is probably hoping for too much.

For instance, I've seen various advice on 32 vs 64bit.

Edit: Finally got the whole 10GB downloaded. Got an error about DX11 when running the launcher, so it reverted to DX9. Any way to solve this? The weird thing is that when I click on "Configure Wine" in Playonlinux, there is the spinning wheel for a few seconds, but the normal window simply doesn't show up. Same with many of the other options in the "Wine" tab. It works for my other games there, though they are in 32-bit. For all I know, DX11 isn't even installed (it's not listed under "Install components"), or the Windows version is set to WinXP or something.

But at least the launcher launches, albeit in DX9 mode.
The game only works with the 32bit version of the client and in DX9, as far as I know the 64bit version of the game only supports DX11, such a shame it doesn't support DX9 too.
rampancy: The only problem is that fonts in the game are messed up; any capitalized letters are instead rendered as empty boxes. I've tried winetricks corefonts but that doesn't seem to help.
Do you have a screenshot of this?
Ganni1987: The game only works with the 32bit version of the client and in DX9, as far as I know the 64bit version of the game only supports DX11, such a shame it doesn't support DX9 too.
Are you sure about that? I've been playing the game in a AMD64 wine-staging 3.8 virtual drive. Upon launching the game I'm told DX11 doesn't work, so it reverts to DX9.

It does lag a bit from time to time, which would be a probably on high difficulty (I'm only level 7), but for now it has been manageable, and I haven't seen any other weirdness while playing. The mini-map works, for instance, which I saw mentioned as a problem somewhere. I'm not sure what the different icons represent, but that's a rather different issue =)

Don't know what are wise settings, but this is what I currently have under [DISPLAY]
(Read somewhere it was recommended to turn off multi-threading, so I've done that)

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=false
directx_version=9Ex
dx11_antialias_mode=0
dx9_antialias_mode=0
dynamic_resolution_fps=30
fullscreen=true
global_illumination_detail=0
light_quality=1
max_PS_shader_model=ps_3_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_3_0
maximize_window=false
post_processing=true
resolution_height=1080
resolution_width=1920
screen_shake=true
shadow_type=hardware_7_samples
texture_filtering=2
texture_quality=0
use_dynamic_resolution=true
vsync=true
water_detail=1
[GENERAL]
enable_profanity_filter=true
engine_multithreading_mode=disabled

Edit: Attached a small picture from PlayOnLinux: notice the "64" in the left.
Attachments:
Post edited May 29, 2018 by Pangaea666
Pangaea666: Are you sure about that? I've been playing the game in a AMD64 wine-staging 3.8 virtual drive. Upon launching the game I'm told DX11 doesn't work, so it reverts to DX9.

It does lag a bit from time to time, which would be a probably on high difficulty (I'm only level 7), but for now it has been manageable, and I haven't seen any other weirdness while playing. The mini-map works, for instance, which I saw mentioned as a problem somewhere. I'm not sure what the different icons represent, but that's a rather different issue =)
The 64 you're seeing is the type of Wine prefix (using a 64bit Wine prefix for a 32bit game is perfectly fine in the majority of cases). The game has been running fine for me since the late 2.xxx Wine series.

About the ingame "Engine Multi-threading", in my tests I found it to lower the FPS in Wine.
Maybe this is the best place for this?

Updated Nvidia drivers via the repository from 384.111 to 384.130 (a security update, it said), and now PlayOnLinux is puking all over the carpet. Tried starting Path of Exile and the launcher just quits with no error message. When I try to start up POL I run into ominous error messages saying

PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32bits OpenGL libraries. You might encounter problems with your games.

It's then repeated with a 64bits message.

Surely this is why the game doesn't launch any more. How do I fix this? Either by somehow rolling back the driver update, or by fixing whatever it broke.

I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, using POL 4.2.12.
Oh gawd, I may be the dumbest person alive. Though I'd like to plead ignorance due to the excellence of Linux.

Unlike in the Windows days, I'm so used to never having to restart. Went into driver manager, swapped to an old Nvidia driver, then noticed a prompt to restart. Did that. Redid the process going back to 384.130 and restarted again. Games work fine now, no error messages, and Path of Exile and POL started up just fine. I'm sure I'd have had no issues had I restarted the PC after applying that update earlier.

Somewhere, a penguin is laughing right now.
Whatever was updated needs to restart for the update to take effect.
For the most part Path of Exile has worked well for me, but a handful of times the game has crashed with a whole load of error messages about Art/2D and font issues. I tried getting help in https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/193[/url], but looks like there isn't much activity in that thread now. Have any of you come across issues like this, and is there an easy fix?

Fairly frustrating when it happens, especially that one time when I was going through a portal after a long trek, and needing to redo a long level.

One error message is attached -- though most of them have mentioned 2D Art assets.
Attachments:
rampancy: So eden* works in WINE; quite well in fact.
Have you finished this then?

Pangaea666: For the most part Path of Exile has worked well for me, but a handful of times the game has crashed with a whole load of error messages about Art/2D and font issues.
Never tried it. The game crashed then and not Wine? You will want to give more info, e.g. the basics, for a better chance at useful advice. Did the Wine output have anything interesting while this happened. Reducing the graphics details may extend the time before the crashes if it's related to the one PoE bug.
Post edited June 01, 2018 by Gydion
Has someone tried Homeworld: Emergence? I'm tempted to get it during the sale, but I can't find on forum or through googling any mention of GOG version running/not running in Wine.
InkPanther: Has someone tried Homeworld: Emergence? I'm tempted to get it during the sale, but I can't find on forum or through googling any mention of GOG version running/not running in Wine.
It runs (Wine Staging v3.9), but only at the default 640x480x16bit resolution. Any attempt to change either the renderer or the resolution ends up with a black screen and the game freezing.

PS: The game used to be called Homeworld: Cataclysm, and there are a couple of (very old) entries for version 1.01 (the one provided by GOG) on WineHQ. I've tried the registry fixes from the most recent submission, but they didn't work.
muntdefems:
Thank you very much for checking.
Pangaea666: For the most part Path of Exile has worked well for me, but a handful of times the game has crashed with a whole load of error messages about Art/2D and font issues.
Gydion: Never tried it. The game crashed then and not Wine? You will want to give more info, e.g. the basics, for a better chance at useful advice. Did the Wine output have anything interesting while this happened. Reducing the graphics details may extend the time before the crashes if it's related to the one PoE bug.
For a time it went well with hardly any crashes (I disabled GLSL), but the last few days it has been crashing regularly again, usually on area transitions. Usual errors refer to fonts, 2D or "can't create thread". I've attached one picture. Sometimes the whole system crashes actually and I need to restart. Very unusual for Linux. But when the shortcut to kill a program doesn't work nor any input, I have to resort to restart X (I have it as Ctrl+Alt+Backspace).

One time I tried to use the debug feature in POL, but that led to a yuuuuuuuge logfile (12GB+) which filled out /home, so I had to delete it. Sure logs a lot! Looks to be the game itself crashing, and I hope the below (normal) logs will indicate what may be wrong.

Unfortunately there have been so many crashes now, and not all are recorded in the debug log it seems, so I'm not entirely sure what was reported by the game here (think it was the attached image, but maybe not). Often when the game crashes there are a lot of such error to "OK" away, like 50-100.

[06/05/18 05:41:12] - Running wine-3.8 PathOfExile.exe (Working directory : /home/pangaea/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/PathofExile/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
wine: Call from 0x7b454d8a to unimplemented function usp10.dll.ScriptBreak, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function usp10.dll.ScriptBreak called at address 0x7b454d8a (thread 000b), starting debugger...
0031:err:module:import_dll Loading library usp10.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\comctl32.dll") failed (error c000007b).
0031:err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx
wine: Call from 0x7b454d8a to unimplemented function comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx, aborting
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryCould not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
ALSA lib pcm.c:7966:(snd_pcm_recover) cannot recovery from underrun, prepare failed: Input/output error
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
after 197 requests (194 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
after 82508 requests (82304 known processed) with 1 events remaining.

-------------------

The below is reported with: inxi -Fxz

System: Host: thunderstruck Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.3 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: MSI model: Z87-G43 (MS-7816) v: 1.0
Bios: American Megatrends v: V1.11 date: 05/09/2015
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4670K (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27199
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 3799 MHz 2: 3799 MHz 3: 3799 MHz
4: 3799 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2560.5GB (90.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SH103S3 size: 240.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3320620AS size: 320.1GB
ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST2000VX000 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 11G (38%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 191G used: 156G (86%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:43C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 213 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 1828.4/7927.5MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

Sorry for this wall of text, but I hope some it can help find out what the problem is. If it's even possible to solve. The odd crash I can deal with, but when it happens so regularly the game becomes nigh on unplayable given I have to often replay big areas.