It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

te_lanus: Game: 8-bit Armies
Winetricks Needed: Installed DX10 and DX11 dll's via winetricks
Specifically what winetricks verbs did you use (i.e. winetricks d3dcompiler_43 vcrun2013 dsound etc). That still doesn't tell me which ones.

Also, pretty sure the AppDB rating should be Gold as you needed some workarounds.

added btw
Post edited September 15, 2017 by Gydion
Game: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Installer MD5s:
dbf971c1acbad3648697c7c343f14aad setup_civilization4_complete_2.0.0.4-1.bin
8ddc5e0129d216cb397e8da5f95a8c92 setup_civilization4_complete_2.0.0.4.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10158

Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.13.0-32
Graphics card: AMD RX 480 8GB
Graphics driver & version: Open source, with Mesa 17.3.2 from Padoka's stable Mesa PPA
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 3.0 (with CSMT enabled)

Install notes: Requires msxml3 (to fix the world turning completely black or invisible after some time) and native d3dx9_31, d3dx9_32 and d3dx9_33 (to fix tile resource display in city/settler view and pink world map during diplomacy/trading etc.)
To fix the text rendering issues, copy "sylfaen.ttf" from "<gamedir>/Civ4/Assets/res/Fonts" to "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/Fonts"
Run the game from/create shortcuts for "Civilization4.exe", "Warlords.exe", "Civ4BeyondSword.exe" and "Civ4Colonization.exe".
How well does it run: Perfect
Details: Aside from one very minor issue (the first blue circle you see in the tutorial for moving the settlers to is coloured grey instead) this seems to run more or less perfectly, although I haven't tested this as thoroughly as it really needs given the scale of the game (have only played the tutorial & done some quick playthroughs of all except Colonization, which I played for a short time but far from a full game).

Multiplayer was not tested.

Wine wrapper
I have put together a Linux Wine wrapper for this game. For more information, see the release thread in the game's forum: https://www.gog.com/forum/sid_meiers_civilization_series/civilization_iv_for_linux

Edit: For Mac users, a report for this game was previously posted by rampancy. Added the font fix to my report as that works for Linux too :)
Post edited March 25, 2018 by adamhm
te_lanus: Thingy's are very powerful magic :P
I thought it was simpler, and maybe it is, but you can check the playonlinux.log file to see what exact components you installed. By default the virtual drives are under ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/. If you don't remember which drive you used: in POL select Application in the list, Configure, in the left pane select the virtual drive, Miscellaneous tab (right pane) and Open virtual drive's directory. It's the playonlinux.log in that folder. It's logging a bunch of things in there, but the following grep should give us what we want:
grep "Starting function" /path/to/virtualdrive/playonlinux.log
Assuming POL doesn't start overwriting that file at a certain size or something.
Post edited September 16, 2017 by Gydion
adamhm: Game: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Did you test this in fullscreen at all, and if not will you? I'm curious if that Fullscreen Cursor Fix is outdated or not.
Gydion: I thought it was simpler, and maybe it is, but you can check the playonlinux.log file to see what exact components you installed. By default the virtual drives are under ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/. If you don't remember which drive you used: in POL select Application in the list, Configure, in the left pane select the virtual drive, Miscellaneous tab (right pane) and Open virtual drive's directory. It's the playonlinux.log in that folder. It's logging a bunch of things in there, but the following grep should give us what we want: Assuming POL doesn't start overwriting that file at a certain size or something.
https://pastebin.com/rn44fgQ7
Gydion: Did you test this in fullscreen at all, and if not will you? I'm curious if that Fullscreen Cursor Fix is outdated or not.
Yes, in fullscreen. I don't remember ever having broken mouse cursors when I previously tried Civ4, although when I checked my wrapper on my system with Intel graphics the animated cursors looked ugly (still completely usable/not really a major problem though).

BTW, dxfullsetup is a function in PlayOnLinux that's basically a bulk installer for DirectX libraries: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-804-POL_Install_dxfullsetup.html
adamhm: BTW, dxfullsetup is a function in PlayOnLinux that's basically a bulk installer for DirectX libraries: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-804-POL_Install_dxfullsetup.html
Thanks. That's using the June2010 redistrib (wasn't quite sure what all DX10/11 dlls were). There is no direct winetricks equivalent for that. For added fun the POL component is bugged and only registers some of the XACT dlls.
te_lanus: Game: 8-bit Armies
Can you also install the POL xact component? That correctly calls regsvr32 on the xaudio DLLs unlike the POL_Install_dxfullsetup. Assuming it still works with that component that will simplify what you need to do under Wine to replicate what POL did.
Post edited September 18, 2017 by Gydion
With Wine-staging up to 2.17, how is the Witcher 3 situation?

How well does it run: Almost perfect
Details: This seems to run almost perfectly, although I haven't tested this as thoroughly as it really needs given the scale of the game (have only played the tutorial & done some quick playthroughs of all except Colonization, which I played for a short time but far from a full game). There are two issues that I've found: the first blue circle you see in the tutorial for moving the settlers to is coloured grey instead, and the resource icons shown in city/settler views are all "food" icons.

Tested with virtual desktop and CSMT enabled. Multiplayer was not tested.
The non-perfect status puzzled me, to be honest. I've played this game in Linux (with PlayOnLinux)... a LOT more than most. Easily thousands of hours. Once I got the MSXML3 issue fixed (it triggers with Calendar technology and Stonehenge(?) Wonder iirc, because those affect the world map/view).

Can't say I've noticed any issues post-XML3. I've played it with some mods, and competitively for the Hall of Fame. The game does tend to get sluggish in the modern eras, especially on big maps (many units), but that's a general issue with the way the game is made, not the Linux variant.

Do you have some screenshots or something of the errors? Not paid much attention to the blue circle to be honest, as it's generally bat-shit crazy (and if you move to it, it funnily tends to move somewhere else :D), but I've definitely not seen the only-food icons in city screens.

Admittedly I've only played the Beyond the Sword version, but if you have seen those slight niggles there too, then I haven't seen them.

Don't think I've played with CSMT (but I don't see that in the options?), and I prefer to play it in fullscreen mode. Works much better with edge-of-screen scrolling, and I "disappear" into the game world more effectively. Heh. Maybe not a good thing. I can play a single game for 50-100 hours.

Edit: Added two pictures from a random start in Beyond the Sword. Apparently I'm using Wine 2.0.1.
Also, I wrote a little bit about it here, when the game came to GOG: https://www.gog.com/forum/sid_meiers_civilization_series/to_play_on_linux
Attachments:
Post edited September 20, 2017 by Pangaea666
Pangaea666: The non-perfect status puzzled me, to be honest. I've played this game in Linux (with PlayOnLinux)... a LOT more than most. Easily thousands of hours. Once I got the MSXML3 issue fixed (it triggers with Calendar technology and Stonehenge(?) Wonder iirc, because those affect the world map/view).
Did you play the GOG version too? Maybe it depends on the game version. My disk version of Civilization IV also does not require any Wine tweaks other than msxml3 and plays very well with vanilla Wine.
Pangaea666: Do you have some screenshots or something of the errors? Not paid much attention to the blue circle to be honest, as it's generally bat-shit crazy (and if you move to it, it funnily tends to move somewhere else :D), but I've definitely not seen the only-food icons in city screens.
Thanks for posting about this; it looks like I missed some libraries as installing d3dx9_31 and d3dx9_32 fixes it. I'm not sure how I managed to miss those as I did test with the full set of d3dx9_## libraries while trying to solve the other issues, but oh well... it's fixed now at least :)

The grey circle in the tutorial persists, but that's not really a problem as it's very obvious what you're supposed to do at that point (setting UseGLSL=disabled fixes it but causes other problems with the main game so it's not worth doing).

I've attached a screenshot showing both issues anyway.

Pangaea666: Don't think I've played with CSMT (but I don't see that in the options?), and I prefer to play it in fullscreen mode. Works much better with edge-of-screen scrolling, and I "disappear" into the game world more effectively. Heh. Maybe not a good thing. I can play a single game for 50-100 hours.
You need a recent version of Wine. For regular versions of Wine you need to set the CSMT registry entry (https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys ) but these don't yet include the full CSMT patchset. In Wine Staging you simply open winecfg and check the box under the "Staging" tab to enable it. Wine Staging with CSMT enabled should offer much better performance.

I'm running the game fullscreen at 1920x1200, performance seems fine (can get a little stuttery in places but nothing really bad so far at least).
Attachments:
Pangaea666: With Wine-staging up to 2.17, how is the Witcher 3 situation?
It's good. Depending also on whether you use Mesa, you might need a special workaround for now for the Velen freeze.

See: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101731#c61

Wine patch is coming soon: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43273#c42
Post edited September 20, 2017 by shmerl
Has anyone tried Aarklash: Legacy with Wine? On WineHQ the GOG version is rated Bronze only because of the not working sound.

Same question for Lichdom: Battlemage. It has no WineHQ entry and requires DX10. As Wine has made a lot of progress with DX11 support lately, does that mean that the DX10 support also has improved? Or are these two completely different implementations?
Post edited September 23, 2017 by eiii
eiii: Has anyone tried Aarklash: Legacy with Wine? On WineHQ the GOG version is rated Bronze only because of the not working sound.

Same question for Lichdom: Battlemage. It has no WineHQ entry and requires DX10. As Wine has made a lot of progress with DX11 support lately, does that mean that the DX10 support also has improved? Or are these two completely different implementations?
For Lichdom, these two bugs are still current:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40046

and

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42368

In regular Wine, in my experience, you can now see the main menu and attempt to load the game but then it crashes while loading.

Way back when, the game wouldn't even show you anything other than a green screen...
Post edited September 23, 2017 by JudasIscariot
eiii: Has anyone tried Aarklash: Legacy with Wine? On WineHQ the GOG version is rated Bronze only because of the not working sound.
I seem to remember trying it with Wine Staging 2.16 with CSMT enabled and working out of the box. I only played the first tutorial level, though.