It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JudasIscariot: What does the terminal spit out in the background? Maybe you are missing something?
blakstar: I probably am -- as for For the Glory, I did a standard Wine install, with it's own prefix, and after installation completed, I double-clicked on the desktop icon and the game ran just fine.

It's just rather annoying that the game it's actually based upon is not as accommodating. :-)
Right but what shows up in terminal? You got me curious :)

You can always link a pastebin of the terminal output if it's rather long :)

Also, I've noticed certain games behave differently when they are opened via double clicking on their icons Windows-style and when they are opened up in the terminal.

For example, The Ground Gives Way, a Windows-only roguelike, will NOT work when you attempt to run it via a terminal but it will work if you just double click on its executable file.
Post edited April 16, 2016 by JudasIscariot
blakstar: I probably am -- as for For the Glory, I did a standard Wine install, with it's own prefix, and after installation completed, I double-clicked on the desktop icon and the game ran just fine.

It's just rather annoying that the game it's actually based upon is not as accommodating. :-)
JudasIscariot: Right but what shows up in terminal? You got me curious :)
OK, given the time, and the fact that I'm currently on my tablet, I'll give it another try later today.

BTW As an aside, Crusader Kings Complete seems to work relatively well -- I just need to see if I can sort out some annoying screen-scrolling resolution issues during some of the menu screens.

EDIT: Crusader Kings bit is nothing to do with EU, just a further bit of info on Linux game compatibility! :-)
Post edited April 16, 2016 by blakstar
blakstar: OK, given the time, and the fact that I'm currently on my tablet, I'll give it another try later today.

BTW As an aside, Crusader Kings Complete seems to work relatively well -- I just need to see if I can sort out some annoying screen-scrolling resolution issues during some of the menu screens.
Screen scrolling resolution issues? May I ask what do you mean by that?
blakstar: OK, given the time, and the fact that I'm currently on my tablet, I'll give it another try later today.

JudasIscariot: Screen scrolling resolution issues? May I ask what do you mean by that?
OK -- bad description really.

Not sure if I can describe it properly, but I'll try. :-)

It's as if the game looks OK on certain screens, but it's really as if it were being shown on a large virtual out of native resolution screen -- I'm probably not making a whole lot of sense here, but at the moment I'm not sure how to describe it.

Anyway, after the initial menu screens it seems to work quite well.

You can always link a pastebin of the terminal output if it's rather long :)

Also, I've noticed certain games behave differently when they are opened via double clicking on their icons Windows-style and when they are opened up in the terminal.

For example, The Ground Gives Way, a Windows-only roguelike, will NOT work when you attempt to run it via a terminal but it will work if you just double click on its executable file.
Just a further heads-up regarding EU2 -- you got my inquisitive side working, so I just couldn't sleep without further investigation.

It seems that it's not EU2 itself causing the problem, but the video player (Bink?) -- after deleting the AVI directory the game seemed to work fine, albeit in a low resolution.

I tried running the EU2_Settings.exe file to see if there was any way to change the resolution, but the only output was "fixme:scrrun:textstream_ReadLine (0x2072f0)->(0x32f468): stub"

EDIT: Apparently, the only way to change the resolution is to edit and experiment with the "settings.cfg" file in order to find an in-game resolution that works for you.
Post edited April 16, 2016 by blakstar
On a more postive note, regarding my posts about Europa Universalis 2 before, I now feel safer posting this, since it seemed to be OK during testing:

For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
Ubuntu 14.04
Kernel: 3.13.0-85-generic
Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96
Installer files:
setup_for_the_glory_2.0.0.1.exe
Wine version 1.8.0. A few errors pop up at the end of installing the game, but these can be safely ignored. Froze once during tutorial, but other than that seemed to be very stable.

AppDB entry [db:old]
Post edited April 17, 2016 by blakstar
rampancy: I thought CrossOver was fine, as I've seen other test reports reporting on compatibility with that version of WINE as well.
Except CrossOver isn't just another Wine version or a Wine frontend. It includes a number of custom fixes, custom workarounds, early patches, and outright hacks. I'm happy to additionally include CrossOver reports. Besides adamhm always includes a stock Wine/Wine Staging test with his entries.
Gydion: I'm happy to additionally include CrossOver reports. Besides adamhm always includes a stock Wine/Wine Staging test with his entries.
Fine. I'll do the same as him going forward.
Gydion: I'm happy to additionally include CrossOver reports. Besides adamhm always includes a stock Wine/Wine Staging test with his entries.
rampancy: Fine. I'll do the same as him going forward.
I've installed the game as well, in Wine 1.8, after seeing your report.

Seems to be OK as far as I can tell, but then I've only tried playing for half an hour or so. Still crashes on exit though, as you noted.
rampancy: Fine. I'll do the same as him going forward.
blakstar: I've installed the game as well, in Wine 1.8, after seeing your report.

Seems to be OK as far as I can tell, but then I've only tried playing for half an hour or so. Still crashes on exit though, as you noted.
I'll amend my earlier post for Incubation, as well as for SWAT 3, but I can also say that Incubation works just as well in wine-staging 1.9.7 as it did in CrossOver (and CrossOver 15.x is based off of the WINE 1.8.x codebase). And yeah, the game still crashes on exit when running in 3Dfx mode. :/

I will ask one thing though: do you know how to start the game with the Wilderness Missions expansion? When installed under CrossOver, there is a shortcut automatically generated for The Wilderness Missions; when I installed it in WIneskin, there was no such shortcut seen.
rampancy: Anyone had a chance to try out Uprising: Join or Die?
Seems to work with 1.9.8
rampancy: Anyone had a chance to try out Uprising: Join or Die?
te_lanus: Seems to work with 1.9.8
Have you encountered the same mouse aiming issues seen with the previous post on Uprising?
blakstar: I've installed the game as well, in Wine 1.8, after seeing your report.

rampancy: I'll amend my earlier post for Incubation, as well as for SWAT 3, but I can also say that Incubation works just as well in wine-staging 1.9.7 as it did in CrossOver (and CrossOver 15.x is based off of the WINE 1.8.x codebase). And yeah, the game still crashes on exit when running in 3Dfx mode. :/

I will ask one thing though: do you know how to start the game with the Wilderness Missions expansion? When installed under CrossOver, there is a shortcut automatically generated for The Wilderness Missions; when I installed it in WIneskin, there was no such shortcut seen.
When I installed the game under Wine, I had a shortcut for the Wilderness Missions appear as well, but the command the shortcut runs appears to be wine <path to Incubation executable>\Launcher.exe -addon
rampancy: Have you encountered the same mouse aiming issues seen with the previous post on Uprising?
Seems to work perfectly
rampancy: Have you encountered the same mouse aiming issues seen with the previous post on Uprising?
te_lanus: Seems to work perfectly
I found the post where you first reported on Uprising here. So I guess 1.9.8 fixed the mouse aiming issue, huh?