It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rampancy: I'd also like to add to that Super Time Force. I've read people on the Steam forums and on the Porting Kit forums have had success with running it in WINE and Crossover, but their details were frustratingly vague (they say to install Steam, but installing Steam via Winetricks didn't help the game run.
te_lanus: I always overkill :P install almost everything :D DX9 Corefonts (DX9 I normally do a full install, using Jun2010) and install all the redist that comes with the game.
I believe the newest winetricks uses the June 2010 version of DX9 when you use 'winetricks d3dx9" now. At least that's what I saw in terminal as winetricks was doing its thing :)
Thanks. Could I get you to add your system info like in this post? inxi -SG will return all the needed info.
niniendowarrior: $ winetricks d3dx10 d3dx9_26 d3dx9_28 d3dx9_31 d3dx9_35 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_39 d3dx9_42 d3dx9_43 d3dx9 directx9 physx vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun6sp6 vcrun6 wmp10 xact_jun2010 xact xinput
Run Assassin's Creed using the Direct3D 9 exe.
I'm guessing you don't actually need d3dx10 if you are running the DX9 exe?
Gydion: Thanks. Could I get you to add your system info like in this post? inxi -SG will return all the needed info.
niniendowarrior: $ winetricks d3dx10 d3dx9_26 d3dx9_28 d3dx9_31 d3dx9_35 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_39 d3dx9_42 d3dx9_43 d3dx9 directx9 physx vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun6sp6 vcrun6 wmp10 xact_jun2010 xact xinput
Run Assassin's Creed using the Direct3D 9 exe.
Gydion: I'm guessing you don't actually need d3dx10 if you are running the DX9 exe?
Yeah, that's probably a good catch. I didn't even see it until you pointed it out to me now. I'll go update the post with the inxi output.

In addition, I know that Judas™ doesn't really like Play On Linux, but I really love POL and its ability to download several different versions of WINE. Getting a game to run on a specific version of POL Wine is not hard at all.
Post edited March 07, 2016 by niniendowarrior
Gydion: Thanks. Could I get you to add your system info like in this post? inxi -SG will return all the needed info.

I'm guessing you don't actually need d3dx10 if you are running the DX9 exe?
niniendowarrior: Yeah, that's probably a good catch. I didn't even see it until you pointed it out to me now. I'll go update the post with the inxi output.

In addition, I know that Judas™ doesn't really like Play On Linux, but I really love POL and its ability to download several different versions of WINE. Getting a game to run on a specific version of POL Wine is not hard at all.
The only reasons why I dislike it is because a) I never had success running games via POL and b) it's not supported by WineHQ when reporting bugs :)
Frankly I don't put a lot of trust in these random install scripts written by random people on the Internet. Another problem is that they age. Someone just slaps on a "working" wine version, and the script insists on using that from there on, and nobody updates it, ever. With this approach you'll never know if a later version of Wine would run it better. And people get very lazy about reporting bugs and (especially important!) *regressions* upstream, so the likelihood of them getting fixed is lower. I wonder if these scripts are why wine's appdb is seeming so dead these days? There are lots of games whose test results are years old, but then you can find people using old PoL scripts.. which might be using old versions of wine along with hacks and fixes when a new version would run the game perfectly out of the box.

My ideal is that there ought to be one definite best version -- the latest version. But it takes work to get there, and people arbitrarily running old versions without ever bothering to test (and report back) on the current release doesn't help.
Post edited March 07, 2016 by clarry
clarry: Frankly I don't put a lot of trust in these random install scripts written by random people on the Internet. Another problem is that they age. Someone just slaps on a "working" wine version, and the script insists on using that from there on, and nobody updates it, ever. With this approach you'll never know if a later version of Wine would run it better. And people get very lazy about reporting bugs and (especially important!) *regressions* upstream, so the likelihood of them getting fixed is lower. I wonder if these scripts are why wine's appdb is seeming so dead these days? There are lots of games whose test results are years old, but then you can find people using old PoL scripts.. which might be using old versions of wine along with hacks and fixes when a new version would run the game perfectly out of the box.

My ideal is that there ought to be one definite best version -- the latest version. But it takes work to get there, and people arbitrarily running old versions without ever bothering to test (and report back) on the current release doesn't help.
I really like PoL, makes running games a lot easier, especially meeting each one's special requirements (if they need it). BTW I never use their install scripts as it's outdated.

(please note this might be a rant)
But the problem I have found with AppDB is that it's mods are sometimes very unhelpful, and there are stuff in my submit queue from beginning of February. Also found a mod or two that'll reject a submission without even giving the submission a cursory glance, I resubmitted a few in the last few months were the mod stated that I'm missing data (especially when giving it a gold rating), when the data is there in the original submission. Once had to change the rating from Gold to Platinum just because the mod was to lazy to read the submission: can't remember which game it was, but wrote that to make it work you need to run winetricks directx9 before you run the game, I had the submission rejected twice because I "didn't write how to make it work" (paraphrased), changed the rating to platinum just to bypass the "illiterate" mod. for another mod I wrote in CAPITALS to point to the fact that the info that's "missing" was there if he cared to read the submission. So ja, I don't doubt that dealing with mods that don't really care about moderating, that the AppDB is in the mess that it is
Post edited March 07, 2016 by te_lanus
clarry: Frankly I don't put a lot of trust in these random install scripts written by random people on the Internet. Another problem is that they age. Someone just slaps on a "working" wine version, and the script insists on using that from there on, and nobody updates it, ever. With this approach you'll never know if a later version of Wine would run it better. And people get very lazy about reporting bugs and (especially important!) *regressions* upstream, so the likelihood of them getting fixed is lower. I wonder if these scripts are why wine's appdb is seeming so dead these days? There are lots of games whose test results are years old, but then you can find people using old PoL scripts.. which might be using old versions of wine along with hacks and fixes when a new version would run the game perfectly out of the box.

te_lanus: I really like PoL, makes running games a lot easier, especially meeting each one's special requirements (if they need it). BTW I never use their install scripts as it's outdated.

(please note this might be a rant)
But the problem I have found with AppDB is that it's mods are sometimes very unhelpful, and there are stuff in my submit queue from beginning of February. Also found a mod or two that'll reject a submission without even giving the submission a cursory glance, I resubmitted a few in the last few months were the mod stated that I'm missing data (especially when giving it a gold rating), when the data is there in the original submission. Once had to change the rating from Gold to Platinum just because the mod was to lazy to read the submission: can't remember which game it was, but wrote that to make it work you need to run winetricks directx9 before you run the game, I had the submission rejected twice because I "didn't write how to make it work" (paraphrased), changed the rating to platinum just to bypass the "illiterate" mod. for another mod I wrote in CAPITALS to point to the fact that the info that's "missing" was there if he cared to read the submission. So ja, I don't doubt that dealing with mods that don't really care about moderating, that the AppDB is in the mess that it is
Did any of your submissions have anything to do at all with Play On Linux? I've submitted several games to the AppDB, including ones that have never been in the AppDB in the first place, and I have yet to see any of my submissions rejected. I will say that I've had a screenshot wait in queue forever and a day but never any actual AppDB submissions when it comes to actual games :)
JudasIscariot: Did any of your submissions have anything to do at all with Play On Linux? I've submitted several games to the AppDB, including ones that have never been in the AppDB in the first place, and I have yet to see any of my submissions rejected. I will say that I've had a screenshot wait in queue forever and a day but never any actual AppDB submissions when it comes to actual games :)
Nope. Normally install it using PoL (to get it to work, then repeat that steps on a clean wineprefix under vanilla wine that comes from the repo.

I'm not sure why I'm getting the short end :P just an example this: this was accepted as is, this [url=https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33320]one I had to resubmit at least once (with an all caps reply) the mod stated there was "no Additional Comments" yet I wrote it in my initial submission
niniendowarrior: Yeah, that's probably a good catch. I didn't even see it until you pointed it out to me now. I'll go update the post with the inxi output.

JudasIscariot: The only reasons why I dislike it is because a) I never had success running games via POL and b) it's not supported by WineHQ when reporting bugs :)
I don't really use the POL scripts. I do use POL to download vanilla Wine releases. I think that way, you'd still be eligible to reporting WineHQ bugs. Also, it's a nice way to do regression testing, no? :-)
JudasIscariot: The only reasons why I dislike it is because a) I never had success running games via POL and b) it's not supported by WineHQ when reporting bugs :)
niniendowarrior: I don't really use the POL scripts. I do use POL to download vanilla Wine releases. I think that way, you'd still be eligible to reporting WineHQ bugs. Also, it's a nice way to do regression testing, no? :-)
I think the WineHQ team think otherwise as far as regression testing goes :)
Regarding Lethis: Path of Progress:

After latest Wine 1.9.5 update game works without any issues on R9 270x (with latest AMD proprietary drivers) and OS Linux Mint 17.3. Previously it was stuck on the first loading screen before the menu and was unplayable. Now there are no issues. So new update for Wine (came online today) + new mono version installed (as always after wine update) and game is fluid (perhaps only a bit longer loading time then on windows).

From Winetricks I already had following installed: d3dx9_36 and vcrun 2010 - don't know if that was needed or not.

System info:
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Graphics: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao XT [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270X/370 OEM]
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
GLX Version: 4.5.13416 - CPC 15.302
Post edited March 09, 2016 by Matruchus
niniendowarrior: I don't really use the POL scripts. I do use POL to download vanilla Wine releases. I think that way, you'd still be eligible to reporting WineHQ bugs. Also, it's a nice way to do regression testing, no? :-)
JudasIscariot: I think the WineHQ team think otherwise as far as regression testing goes :)
:-) That is definitely true, but if you wanted a quick way to verify if an older version didn't have this problem, you could use POL to download the older releases (instead of git pulling and configure, make, and what not). This was how I identified Assassin's Creed over excited sunlight problem. It was bothering me quite a bit and I remembered that it didn't do that before. Don't get me wrong. That Wine Regression article is useful, but only after you know which git branch to look into. ;-)
Post edited March 08, 2016 by niniendowarrior
Great thanks. Don't suppose you want to stick that at the top? ;)
niniendowarrior: In addition, I know that Judas™ doesn't really like Play On Linux, but I really love POL and its ability to download several different versions of WINE. Getting a game to run on a specific version of POL Wine is not hard at all.
Uhh, sure? Guess I missed something, but speaking of trivially trying different Wine engines... I don't suppose you feel like trying the latest 1.9.x POL has re: the sunlight bug?
Matruchus: Regarding Lethis: Path of Progress:
Thanks. Could I get you to add your system info like in this post? inxi -SG will return all the needed info.
Matruchus: Regarding Lethis: Path of Progress:
Done.