It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GOG GALAXY 2.0, the free application to bring together all your games and friends in one place is now available for everyone to test. Visit our GOG GALAXY page and join other gamers.

Let’s put an end to resource-heavy clients running all the time and us juggling between multiple apps to access our games and see what our friends are playing. GOG GALAXY 2.0 conveniently shows you all your games as one library and makes it easier than ever to stay in touch with your friends across PC and console platforms.

For the past few years, we’ve seen continuous fragmentation of our game collections and gaming friends lists, further proving the need for an application that unites them all,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “And I’m sure there are even more clients and launchers on the way,” Karwowski adds. “We’re amazed and thankful for the reaction from the community to the app and taking it even further by creating integrations with 20 gaming platforms – allowing everyone to see all their games and friends in GOG GALAXY 2.0.

The closed beta brought numerous big updates like seeing friends’ online status from different platforms in GOG GALAXY 2.0 or adding Global Search. The latter allows multiple options – finding games and friends, launching games with a single press of a key and giving the ability to manually add any game to the library.

We’re waiting for your feedback!

We can’t wait to see what you have to say about GOG GALAXY 2.0! Let us know what you think and want to see improved – share feedback via the in-app option, GOG GALAXY social media, and the official forum.

Learn about what you can do in GOG GALAXY 2.0

Download the app and connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with your other preferred platforms through 20 official and community-created integrations. Import and organize all your PC and console games in one library, install and launch PC titles, keep track of your progress and see your friends’ status, achievements and game time across all gaming platforms. The app is also the best way to run and update your DRM-free GOG.COM games library. Everything is designed with your privacy in mind – no spying, no sharing with third parties, and all your data belongs to you.

You can join the GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta now by downloading the app for Windows or Mac.
Works great! Really like the UI too. Only client that I still have without GOG galaxy is bnet, but maybe in the future even those games will be available. All in all great work gog team.
GOG.com: Let’s put an end to resource-heavy clients
Wait, I thought this thread was about introducing Galaxy 2.0, not about abandoning it...!?
Question: How long will GOG keep Galaxy 1.0? Patched and all so that it keeps working.
RabidGears: Am I the only Linux user that doesn't care if this is ported? I never used Galaxy when I used Windows and I have no plans to use it on Linux. Although, if it had proton support I'd consider it. Just keep it as optional and let me keep downloading the standalone installers and I'm happy.
not the only one I guess. I'm in similar situation, I won't be using galaxy 2.0 even if there's Linux port available (because of security concerns regarding integrations - I don't want to give full access to all of my gaming accounts to noname github developers). wine works with game installers (simple click, install, run - if your have proper wine prefix), I don't need steam's Proton either for this simple task.
Pretty happy with the Beta so far. It's just nice having one working platform from which I can browse, install and play games. I love not having to open up the horrible xbox game pass app.

I'd like to see additional ways to sort our libraries, clearer visual separation of games between clients and more customisation options.

...But for the love of god, PLEASE get rid of those awful forced arbitration and anti-class action provisions from your terms of service. Gog has always touted itself as a consumer-friendly operator and these provisions are about as anti-consumer as it gets!
So, still the short end of the stick for Linux users? What's the plan, will it get Linux client in Galaxy 2000?
Post edited December 10, 2019 by shmerl
petitmal: Has stopped working on my very old mac, that ran Galaxy blissfully, although I do not remember I did an update - which it kept requesting me to do?
Have you considered that if it has an Apple Logo, it literally isn't a gaming platform?
RabidGears: Am I the only Linux user that doesn't care if this is ported? I never used Galaxy when I used Windows and I have no plans to use it on Linux. Although, if it had proton support I'd consider it. Just keep it as optional and let me keep downloading the standalone installers and I'm happy.
I get your indifference, but if Galaxy 2.0 introduced things like proper delta installs and patches for Linux users; especially if it was cross compatible with multiple systems, it would be to say the least, far better than having to download all two gigabytes of a game over each time there was an update.

I'd be happy if Galaxy 2 for Linux was just a repo that you could connect to. (As long as they provided platform agnostic updates or went the full Monty and provided RPMs.)
Post edited December 10, 2019 by Darvond
I'm with you about not using the closed client, but there are few issues here, which should be resolved to benefit all Linux users on GOG:

1. Some Linux games don't make it to GOG at all, due to Galaxy client libraries missing (especially multiplayer ones). That's a problem regardless whether you plan to use the client itself or not. Others arrive here with functionality cut, due to lack of those Galaxy libs.

2. Some Linux users avoid GOG due to missing client, especially those who are too used to Steam style game management. So having a client will increase Linux user base here. Ironically, smaller user base is probably seen as an excuse by GOG not to work on the client. A usual catch 22.

3. It's not just the client, but even more so the server. Galaxy support means that backend can feed games through Galaxy APIs with all the updates and so on. So even if you can make a FOSS Galaxy client, it currently won't do anything for Linux versions, since GOG excludes them on the backend from all the Galaxy updater server features.

So all these better be resolved, regardless of whether we want to use the closed client itself or not.
Post edited December 10, 2019 by shmerl
I might hold out till the final version. For some reason, Galaxy tends to be finicky on my computer. I don't know why.
firstpastthepost: So in the thread full of people complaining that there is no Linux client you are claiming that a client is required or will be required for Linux support?
To clear things up a bit:
Multiple developers have stated the lack of Galaxy for Linux as the reason why their Linux ports on Steam don't arrive on GOG and those games are Windows only here, since they don't want to release anything without client specific functions available, usually daily challenges and multi-player support since not many seem to bother integrate the option for direct IP anymore.

So regardless whether they would use a client or not or whether they'd use dayli challenges and multi-player or not, it directly affects which Linux ports we don't get here.
Post edited December 10, 2019 by Klumpen0815
nightcraw1er.488: There are things which have changed. Offline installers now come with galaxy components such as galaxy.dll and will not run without it.
MarkoH01: As far as I know not all games do need these files to run - but agreed some or even several do in fact not start if those DLLs are absent. I don't see an actual problem here though because without the Galaxy service being running no Galaxy functions should work and therefore it would be like any other DLL which happens to be named Galaxy. But yes, those things changed ... but I never said nothing changed, I said that they never forced the Galaxy client or integrated actual DRM during Galaxy 1.

nightcraw1er.488: if people hadn’t panicked and protested we would only have galaxy installers, so why not panic and protest now, as you say, nothing has changed since then. I am not panicking, merely stating what is, like it or not.
MarkoH01: Maybe we would have Galaxy installers meaning installers which contained Galaxy but still did not require to install them.If I remember correctly it was set as an option to install Galaxy with the game or not - the files might have been mandatory to download (which was a really bad idea) but installation never was. And regarding the "like it or not" part: I am doing the same like you - just stating facts and pointing out arguments and logical behavior. I might disagree in some parts with your opinion buit that does not mean that I dislike it. Opinions imo are valid as long as they are reasonable.

nightcraw1er.488: As far as I am concerned galaxy is and always has been the worse thing from this store, and all that it brings, and it will become the defacto far sooner than we imagine.
MarkoH01: And that is your opinion - which I simply don't share at all.
As entertaining as this exchange has been, and it's INCREDIBLY entertaining, I have to remind you, Marko, that you're wasting time. You're debating with someone who just wants to spread FUD against a company that has done nothing to earn the ire. Some people just assume the worst, even if it takes giant leaps of logic and faith.
MarkoH01: ...DX12 which is Win10 only .....
Not any more:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/world-of-warcraft-uses-directx-12-running-on-windows-7/
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/DirectX-12-nun-auch-unter-Windows-7-World-of-Warcraft-als-Starttitel-4334450.html (German)
Linux does "support" DX12 too by now via vkd3d which seems to be used in Proton too by now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bn8a6x/vkd3d_dx12vk_can_now_run_metro_exodus/
I love the new look on tags! The only thing I haven't found yet is my profile.
Attachments:
gog.jpg (476 Kb)
petitmal: Has stopped working on my very old mac, that ran Galaxy blissfully, although I do not remember I did an update - which it kept requesting me to do?
Darvond: Have you considered that if it has an Apple Logo, it literally isn't a gaming platform?
On what non-Apple platform should I run Macintosh-exclusive games, then?
I mean, sure, EV Nova was ported to Windows, and had plugins built to run the scenarios of the two previous games, or I could run those under emulation, but it still feels more right to run Escape Velocity and EV Override on my Performa or Power Mac, under the OS for which they were released.

Then again, they're apparently working on a remake of Override for modern systems (not only macOS, but also Linux and Windows), and likely the first and third game, and are about to get a Kickstarter project going in January, so that's something to look forward to.
Post edited December 10, 2019 by Maighstir