It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ok, this is pretty wild. Apparently there are multiple new Trek shows in early (very early might-not-happen-at-all) development, and that includes a The Next Generation sequel with Patrick Stewart returning as Picard.

Other stuff, like Starfleet Academy and a Khan prequel are also on the list.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about it. A TNG sequel sounds great, it would mean finally moving forward, into post-Nemesis future. And of course having Stewart on board (if he really would return for it) would be fantastic. On the other hand the last thing CBS gave us is Discovery, so it's probably best not to get too optimistic. It might easily not happen at all, or turn out another mess. I sure as hell don't want to see Worf come back with a Discovery-style makeover :P And yeah, Kurtzman at the helm does not exactly inspire tons of confidence.
Post edited June 19, 2018 by Breja
Surprised no one mentioned this...
tvline.com/2018/06/14/star-trek-discovery-season-2-showrunners-fired-gretchen-berg-aaron-harberts-alex-kurtzma n/
RWarehall: Surprised no one mentioned this...
tvline.com/2018/06/14/star-trek-discovery-season-2-showrunners-fired-gretchen-berg-aaron-harberts-alex-kurtzma n/
*shrug* I saw 5 minutes of Discovery, watched this spinning along the front to back axis space ship that makes my head hurt over the physics and never went back.
RWarehall: Surprised no one mentioned this...
drmike: *shrug* I saw 5 minutes of Discovery, watched this spinning along the front to back axis space ship that makes my head hurt over the physics and never went back.
At least they are acknowledging it was crap, even if the press release uses PR speak to claim it was successful. One does change showrunners like that if you truly believe it was working...
RWarehall: At least they are acknowledging it was crap, even if the press release uses PR speak to claim it was successful. One does change showrunners like that if you truly believe it was working...
So you're going to completely ignore the information in the article about them being overbudget and acting abusively towards the staff?
DaCostaBR: So you're going to completely ignore the information in the article about them being overbudget and acting abusively towards the staff?
Yes. Because that's called PR. They are overbudget because the ratings suck, but they don't want to publicly admit that season 1 failed to meet expectations. If they got the ratings expected, the budget would not have mattered nor would a little infighting on the set. So they spin it as something else. Or you can live in your little bubble world and believe that PR people never lie at all.

As TV Grim Reaper put it,
"#PRJedi: The show's doing great!
**showrunners fired** (not the first time)
#PRJedi: The show's doing great!"
RWarehall: Yes. Because that's called PR. They are overbudget because the ratings suck, but they don't want to publicly admit that season 1 failed to meet expectations. If they got the ratings expected, the budget would not have mattered nor would a little infighting on the set. So they spin it as something else. Or you can live in your little bubble world and believe that PR people never lie at all.

As TV Grim Reaper put it,
"#PRJedi: The show's doing great!
**showrunners fired** (not the first time)
#PRJedi: The show's doing great!"
Okay, just making it clear that you're going to substitute reality for a baseless conspiracy theory.
DaCostaBR: Okay, just making it clear that you're going to substitute reality for a baseless conspiracy theory.
Go ahead be insulting...but you don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about. And if you don't know who TV Grim Reaper is or anything about the TV industry or all the mags like EW or TVLine which write article after article repeating everything the PR people in the industry tell them...

All that matters are ratings. The fact that cast in-fighting wasn't made public means it didn't matter. Discovery didn't perform; cost too much, so heads had to roll somewhere. And they did.

It's not baseless at all, but you are too stupid to realize the truth and seem to believe everything you read even from magazines whose job is to make every show sound good and every network decision the right one.

You do realize the reason they are so overbudget in the first place is because they changed the showrunners the 1st time and had to re-write the whole thing right?
Post edited June 20, 2018 by RWarehall
The future of startrek? Nope, got no future now.

If it did, time cops would have turned up to stop Nero.... did they? No, ergo no future federation exists to create them.

although changes in the timeline that destroy the federation are exactly what the time cops are there to stop!! And they cannot decide the Nero timeline is better and leave it at that because it breeches the temporal prime directive.

The lore of the startrek universe dictates the time cops 'should' have stopped Nero. They only possible way they do not is if Startrek franchise chose to disown the entire Janeway and Archer series...... Ahhhhh yea, Earth cannot be around for Nero to attack if there were no time cops to help Archer safe earth centuries before... thats a GOTCHA
DaCostaBR: Okay, just making it clear that you're going to substitute reality for a baseless conspiracy theory.
RWarehall: Go ahead be insulting...
I know there's not much point in me joining in the conversation seeing how you both hate my guts (at least you have something in common, so don't be too harsh on each other!) but I'd just like to point out that there's a separate thread about Discovery I made precisely to avoid discussion about other upcoming Trek projects getting swamped by arguments over the ongoing show.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/star_trek_discovery

mystikmind2000: The future of startrek? Nope, got no future now.

If it did, time cops would have turned up to stop Nero.... did they? No, ergo no future federation exists to create them.
1. You do realise this is not what the thread is about, right? :D
2. I don't remember the "time cops" showing up for like 99.9% of time travel related mess in any of the shows and movies. I don't think it's a concept we should put too much stock in.
Post edited June 20, 2018 by Breja
Breja: 1. You do realise this is not what the thread is about, right? :D
2. I don't remember the "time cops" showing up for like 99.9% of time travel related mess in any of the shows and movies. I don't think it's a concept we should put too much stock in.
Apart from Daniels on Archer's Enterprise. Those Time Agents, whose task it is explicitly to enforce the temporal accords and prevent incursions into the Federation timeline, should have stopped Nero... but then again logic and time-travel stories rarely mix.
Lifthrasil: Those Time Agents, whose task it is explicitly to enforce the temporal accords and prevent incursions into the Federation timeline, should have stopped Nero... but then again logic and time-travel stories rarely mix.
But really... should they? I mean, Nero's incursion worked different then time travel usually (but not always) did in Trek. It created a new timeline rather than alter the old one. So for the agents of the original timeline nothing has changed, and even if they could travel into that new timeline, do they have "jurisdiction" over other timelines? And agents from the new timeline can't stop him, as it would be a paradox. To stop him would be to prevent their entire timeline from existing, themselves included. How would anyone, from either timeline really stop Nero anyway? The new timeline is created the moment he arrives. Before he arrives there's no one to stop, and once he's there it's already too late.
Post edited June 20, 2018 by Breja
Lifthrasil: Those Time Agents, whose task it is explicitly to enforce the temporal accords and prevent incursions into the Federation timeline, should have stopped Nero... but then again logic and time-travel stories rarely mix.
Breja: But really... should they? I mean, Nero's incursion worked different then time travel usually (but not always) did in Trek. It created a new timeline rather than alter the old one. So for the agents of the original timeline nothing has changed, and even if they could travel into that new timeline, do they have "jurisdiction" over other timelines? And agents from the new timeline can't stop him, as it would be a paradox. To stop him would be to prevent their entire timeline from existing, themselves included. How would anyone, from either timeline really stop Nero anyway? The new timeline is created the moment he arrives. Before he arrives there's no one to stop, and once he's there it's already too late.
Actually that with the timelines is a good point. For some reason Nero's incursion works differently than all those before and yes, the new StarTrek movies just explore an alternate universe, while the old one is preserved. So I guess you are right and the Time Agents don't have jurisdiction or a reason to stop him.
I'm sure they could, if they chose to. Destroy Nero's ship the moment it comes out of the black hole before it destroys the Kelvin, for example. The time agency is created in the 31st century. So they have more advanced technology than Nero.

But all in all I don't like all this prequel-addiction of Hollywood. I would have liked the StarTrek universe (original time line) to be expanded after the Dominion war and Voyager. What does the future hold, after the Borg are gone? With the quantum slipstream drive finally mastered, the entire galaxy is open for exploration and maybe even other galaxies. But instead the writers re-visit the past again and again and again. So boring!
Lifthrasil: But all in all I don't like all this prequel-addiction of Hollywood. I would have liked the StarTrek universe (original time line) to be expanded after the Dominion war and Voyager. What does the future hold, after the Borg are gone? With the quantum slipstream drive finally mastered, the entire galaxy is open for exploration and maybe even other galaxies. But instead the writers re-visit the past again and again and again. So boring!
Exactly what appeals to me about that TNG sequel series they're supposedly working on.

Oh, and I don't believe the Borg are gone for a second. Whatever the damage to the collective, I'm sure they survived, adapted and rebuild. It's what they do.
Breja: Ok, this is pretty wild. Apparently there are multiple new Trek shows in early (very early might-not-happen-at-all) development, and that includes a The Next Generation sequel with Patrick Stewart returning as Picard.
Stewart is 77 and this is not even getting realised yet. I get a feeling that he could be a bit too old to be Starfleet captain in this one.
Don't get me wrong, I love him but would he be able to handle role of captain? I think he would have to have even bigger hands-off role than before.

Breja: ... It might easily not happen at all, or turn out another mess. I sure as hell don't want to see Worf come back with a Discovery-style makeover :P ...
Damn you! Now I am going to have nightmares.