It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Star Trek died in my eyes, many years ago. :( Well, at least Rogue One is an awesome movie so the Star Wars universe is still alive.
Post edited May 19, 2017 by macuahuitlgog
Well, if Star Trek is more and more becoming Star Wars with Phasers then maybe this might be more appropriate:
THE ORVILLE Official Trailer (2017) Star Trek Spoof, Seth MacFarlane Comedy Drama Series HD
viperfdl: Well, if Star Trek is more and more becoming Star Wars with Phasers then maybe this might be more appropriate:
THE ORVILLE Official Trailer (2017) Star Trek Spoof, Seth MacFarlane Comedy Drama Series HD
Yeah, I saw it a few days ago. I'm no big fan of MacFarlane, but I know he is a genuine fan of Trek, and love for the source material is one of the most important ingredients in making a good parody. And the trailer doesn't look half bad. The production values are surprisingly good, a couple of jokes did make me chuckle (the anti-banana ray for one), and I like Victor Garber (the admiral in the trailer) a lot.
Post edited May 21, 2017 by Breja
viperfdl: Well, if Star Trek is more and more becoming Star Wars with Phasers then maybe this might be more appropriate:
I might have to try to watch this one. It's got a bit of a "Galaxy Quest" vibe to it. Thanks for sharing the trailer. :)

As for my thoughts on the Discovery trailer, It wasn't that very good of a trailer. From what was shown, I couldn't really figure out what the premise of the show is besides just being set in a Star Trek universe. And those Klingons! Yikes! :O

I would like to point out though that from what I've noticed from watching trailers is that good trailers end up being bad movies/shows and bad trailers tend to be good movies/shows. I've still got faith this will be a good show.
BenKii: From what was shown, I couldn't really figure out what the premise of the show is besides just being set in a Star Trek universe.
That's no wonder, seeing as it's pretty obviously cut from just the pilot, and maybe not even that in it's entirety. I mean, we don't even actually see the ship Discovery in this Discovery trailer :P
Breja: That's no wonder, seeing as it's pretty obviously cut from just the pilot, and maybe not even that in it's entirety. I mean, we don't even actually see the ship Discovery in this Discovery trailer :P
That makes more sense if the scenes are just from the pilot episode. Every cable or online show I've seen so far starts out real slow. It doesn't really start until you've seen like 3 or 5 episodes and then gets really good and then the season is over and you got to wait another year for more.

That's why I just wait until shows are over and marathon them from start to finish but with Star Trek I'll have to make an exception and watch them as they come on which could be a bad thing if they take the same story telling approach as all the other cable shows.
Breja: we don't even actually see the ship Discovery in this Discovery trailer :P
Was it a sarcasm or you're just blind?
Attachments:
Breja: we don't even actually see the ship Discovery in this Discovery trailer :P
LootHunter: Was it a sarcasm or you're just blind?
That's U.S.S Shenzhou. The ship commanded by the character played by Michelle Yeoh. But nice try, thanks for playing.
Breja: That's U.S.S Shenzhou.
Funny how Treak manages to adapt to the "world order" or whatever in a simplistic way. I mean, there was Chekov back then and now that China pretty much is the world's croupier, well, a chinese character isn't so odd ;)
Breja: That's U.S.S Shenzhou.
vicklemos: Funny how Treak manages to adapt to the "world order" or whatever in a simplistic way. I mean, there was Chekov back then and now that China pretty much is the world's croupier, well, a chinese character isn't so odd ;)
Well, it's no secret Trek is all about diversity and since it's inception was always very much a product of it's time and political climate (or a response to it). Chekov was actually a "late addition" to the already deliberately diverse cast. It makes sense from a "in-universe" standpoint too though, if you're really trying to sell United Earth, that the crews should be such a mix of nationalities. If anything, it would make sesne for us to be seing a lot more chinese crewmembers. It's kind of a defining characteristic of the chinese that there's a lot of them;) So unless the Third World War hit them harder than the western countries, it would make sense for them to be represented in great numbers in Starfleet.
vicklemos: Funny how Treak manages to adapt to the "world order" or whatever in a simplistic way. I mean, there was Chekov back then and now that China pretty much is the world's croupier, well, a chinese character isn't so odd ;)
Breja: Well, it's no secret Trek is all about diversity and since it's inception was always very much a product of it's time and political climate (or a response to it). Chekov was actually a "late addition" to the already deliberately diverse cast. It makes sense from a "in-universe" standpoint too though, if you're really trying to sell United Earth, that the crews should be such a mix of nationalities. If anything, it would make sesne for us to be seing a lot more chinese crewmembers. It's kind of a defining characteristic of the chinese that there's a lot of them;) So unless the Third World War hit them harder than the western countries, it would make sense for them to be represented in great numbers in Starfleet.
I don't know. I don't think Kahn was very biased. I think he balanced his hate for humans equally ;)

It would make sense to have a diverse cast of mixed heritage humans in a show set in a future of an Earth which has been united for X amount of years/decades/centuries though.
Breja: So unless the Third World War hit them harder than the western countries, it would make sense for them to be represented in great numbers in Starfleet.
Heh. Hey, it's their (don't forget about India) century, afterall. Better start learning some mandarin asap ;)
And what's this WWIII thingy in Trek? I'm kinda unfamiliar with it!
Breja: So unless the Third World War hit them harder than the western countries, it would make sense for them to be represented in great numbers in Starfleet.
vicklemos: Heh. Hey, it's their (don't forget about India) century, afterall. Better start learning some mandarin asap ;)
iirc our history is basically already somewhat diverged from Star Trek's...Star Trek had the so-called "Eugenic wars" in the 1990s (that's where Khan and his genetically modified supermen came from). Then later, in the 21th century there was a third world war (that's supposedly when Colonel Green who is sometimes mentioned as an historical villain committed his genocidal crimes), though details have been left unclear. Earth was devastated by it and only slowly recovering when Cochran developed his warp drive in the 2060s.
Why I know all that nonsense? Well, I used to watch Star Trek. Not interested in the new series though, for me Star Trek died with Enterprise at the latest (Voyager was also already quite bad, and even TNG doesn't hold up that well when watched today imo). It should just be retired, hopefully the new series will kill off the franchise once and for all.
vicklemos: Heh. Hey, it's their (don't forget about India) century, afterall. Better start learning some mandarin asap ;)
Its the back-door explanation for why humanity works so well together for an utopian society in the trekverse. They got bombed nearly to extinction in WW3 so they decided to get rid of the major motivators (greed, religion) to became the good guys they have become by the time Trek plays in.
Post edited May 22, 2017 by anothername
Breja: Well, it's no secret Trek is all about diversity and since it's inception was always very much a product of it's time and political climate (or a response to it). ,
Star Trek's "diversity" is of the most superficial kind imaginable...basically everybody is some kind of liberal American. Just silly.
And while including Chinese characters makes sense given China's importance, I'd suspect it has rather more to do with marketing considerations than with any lofty ideals.