It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
kohlrak: Am i the only one that finds quoting Gabe on the site strange?
Hilarious, even. And the quote is a total killer too. Because the wildly invasive 'social media' copy protection/customer loyalty schemes that Mr. Newell is so damn proud of plague us even more than the traditional forms of DRM, and it's exactly the direction GOG is going.

Redefine that anti-privacy super social customer loyalty bollocks as clear cut DRM, give the installer exes their old prominent place back in my account, and THEN I'm with the FCK DRM initiative.
somberfox: In truth, it was only a side affect of the site's original focus of being about old classic games that came from a time period where DRM didn't really exist.
kdgog: There was definitely DRM in the early games. In fact, many of the games I played on my C64 had DRM in to either stop you copying them/backing them up, or to stop you playing them if you didn't own the manual/code disk. The original games for many of the 8 bit computers on tape would likely be unplayable nowadays.
As for old games on tape, they used to manufacture them with so bad recording quality that any copies made with double deck cassette players as a straight deck-to-deck audio copy would have so much noise that the copy couldn't be read by a cassette drive.

As an unfortunate side effect of this DRM, even the factory made genuine copies often failed to load. To make loading work better, Commodore even introduced a special Load-It cassette drive where you could adjust the head according to indicator lights to get the best possible read from the tape.

So yeah, DRM really goes further than PC games which started GOG.
Vainamoinen: Hilarious, even. And the quote is a total killer too. Because the wildly invasive 'social media' copy protection/customer loyalty schemes that Mr. Newell is so damn proud of plague us even more than the traditional forms of DRM, and it's exactly the direction GOG is going.

Redefine that anti-privacy super social customer loyalty bollocks as clear cut DRM, give the installer exes their old prominent place back in my account, and THEN I'm with the FCK DRM initiative.
That's what scares me about this announcement and site: it's almost like it's overcompensating for something.
No. Quoting Gabe as anti-DRM is a bit like quoting Hugh Hefner as anti-sex.
It was for me too.

Btw.. oops, at first i downrepped and reported your post by mistake, sorry. O_o'
The site works horribly on phones and I cannot zoom on elements without the bar blocking everything :\
Post edited August 21, 2018 by phaolo
In this case I think it's quite a good strategy. If they went at this without that "endorsement" then they would immediately hit the legion of steam fans that go raving mad if something ever in any way threatens their tribe. This way it's an instant blocker to that fanboism, which is all that's needed for them to just switch off, or to keep reading but keep believing Steam isn't DRM. Either way, it's giving the campaign a much more gentle launch rather than letting it get swamped with hate.
Have to agree with some who have mentioned that the foul language is unnecessary and juvenile.
Still, kudos for the initiative and fighting the good fight for consumer rights and quality games!
Waiting for crack monster hunter world. I bought the game, but when I saw Denuvo I did a refund :)
(sorry for my bad english)
I found it very strange, given he is the man that made DRM popular...
Btw, 7digital closed its EU and worldwide stores and killed all accounts on them, so I don't trust it very much now..
Post edited August 21, 2018 by phaolo
high rated
Kanashe: Oh, I know it didn't. I'm just saying for all this DRM-Free talk, it doesn't exactly stop people pirating their stuff either. So, I always find it funny when I see people talk about DRM-Free stuff as this some sort of holy grail.
Well it stops people like me from pirating it. People who enjoy spending money for their hobby as long as it is a fair offer. And apperently there are enough of us for GoG still being in buisiness...
amok: the list of DRM free games neither. Fireflower games, for example.
Yeah, I didn't want to point to that, because I kinda understand why GOG wouldn't want to advertise for a competitor.

The book section is also not complete, etc.
Maybe they expand their lists later on...
Great Initiative! Keep up the good work!
richlind33: Is this supposed to make up for getting cucked by VG24/7? lol
fronzelneekburm: VG24/7 AND some whiny French-Canadian bitch who threw a tantrum and pulled his game.

And they don't even have a nice Tuesday release to show for...
You know what they say....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
amok: the list of DRM free games neither. Fireflower games, for example.
BreOl72: Yeah, I didn't want to point to that, because I kinda understand why GOG wouldn't want to advertise for a competitor.
If GOG is trying to be properly altruistic about DRM free, then it should be mentioning the competition, because it should be about the bigger picture, not just a publicity stunt.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by ReynardFox