It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

discountbuyer: This is all China's fault.
Yes you are correct. However China's isn't to blame for how the US government has treated this and how slow acting they are. The US had experts who knew since November of 2019. So the US as a country should have been better prepared for this.
A study has been conducted looking at the surface stability and aerosol stability.

"Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1"

"SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air."

"SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces (Figure 1A), although the virus titer was greatly reduced (from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter of medium after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). "

"On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours"

"On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

Now we know, why masks are a thing in Asia. China confirmed aerosol transmission along the way in February, if I remember it right, but the western countries never picked it up and are sill saying that it is transmitted by "droplet infection". Which is not wrong, but also not everything.
Post edited March 23, 2020 by Arundir
amok: heh. this is good advice to stay healthy, yes. has nothing specific to do with COVID-19, but eating fresh fruit, going for a walk, exercising, drinking in moderation, not smoking are all good advice for general health. (UV is a myth, though... need to be careful as it can give skin cancer)

edit: also -
"3. The lemon juice myth
Misleading information about other ways to prevent the virus has also been circulating on social media.

This includes a researcher said to be from Zanjan University in China, saying you should take as much vitamin C as possible to protect yourself from the virus. This was published in a news portal known as Viralmagazine.it, whose metrics say their article has been viewed over 576,000 times and gathered over 30,000 shares. The post also quotes a "Professor Chen Horin CEO of the Beijing Military Hospital" as saying that a hot drink with lemon can curb the spread of the virus.

But there are several things that are not right:

- the Chinese name of the researcher looks fake as it translates into English as "what is your name"

- Zanjan University does not exist in China

- the professor referred to has appeared before in misleading health advice about cancer

- And to be clear - there's no evidence at all that lemon juice or large doses of vitamin C will stop the virus."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51819624
falloutttt: Lemon juice is good for your immune system.

UV light is used in hospitals. It's a disinfection method.

You believe or not in what I said, honestly, I don't really give a flying ****. I simply shared what I was informed of by people working in the hospitals.
aye, fresh fruit is good for your health, and vitamin c is essential also. However, this is general advice to be healthy, and not specifically against COVID-19. For the immune system in general, you need vitamin D, though, not vitamin C. Vitamin D is produced in the skin under sunlight , so that's why a walk is good for your health as well, but again - this is general well-being advice and not specific against COVID-19.

UV is indeed used for disinfection... of materiel.... not of people.... do not sit in UV light over a length of time.
(https://www.skincancer.org/risk-factors/uv-radiation/)
Post edited March 23, 2020 by amok
Fender_178: Well GameStop is batting a 1000. They are staying open despite the quarantine by stating they are an essential business
No, that's old news. They're closed.
when the police show up they have some kind of documentation stating they are above the law
They never had anything like that.
Fender_178: Well GameStop is batting a 1000. They are staying open despite the quarantine by stating they are an essential business
eric5h5: No, that's old news. They're closed.

when the police show up they have some kind of documentation stating they are above the law
eric5h5: They never had anything like that.
That's good. That they got that crap shut down.
discountbuyer: This is all China's fault.
Fender_178: Yes you are correct. However China's isn't to blame for how the US government has treated this and how slow acting they are. The US had experts who knew since November of 2019. So the US as a country should have been better prepared for this.
To a degree, yes it's China's fault. However, the United States and other countries knew this was coming and should have been better prepared. The US was definitely caught with its pants down. In live in the state of VA. As of now:
schools are closed for the rest of the academic year
restaurants are open for curbside, delivery, and takeout
recreational facilities are closed (that should have been done already)
nonessential businesses are closed

These measures are in place for the next 30 days. I think people who live in my state (and the rest of the US, for that matter) need to be prepared for a harsh reality: life is not going back to normal any time soon, if it ever does. We also need to realize that for social distancing to work it has to be practiced.

A friend and I were talking the other day about what is going to happen as this drags on. There's a possibility in the US that people could be asked to hunker down until August or September. My friend's opinion: reopen everything now and let the virus work its way through. Let nature take its course. Otherwise, we're just prolonging the misery and destroying the economy. That's his opinion. I don't necessarily agree. However, if you're going to be serious about social distancing and reducing the spread, then you can't take half-hearted measures, which is essentially what the US is doing. You can't ask people to shelter in place, then leave beaches, parks, and gyms open. You need to be prepared to enforce these measures.

(Sorry for the rant)
Post edited March 23, 2020 by docbear1975
Arundir: A study has been conducted looking at the surface stability and aerosol stability.

"Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1"

"SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air."

"SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces (Figure 1A), although the virus titer was greatly reduced (from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter of medium after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). "

"On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours"

"On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

Now we know, why masks are a thing in Asia. China confirmed aerosol transmission along the way in February, if I remember it right, but the western countries never picked it up and are sill saying that it is transmitted by "droplet infection". Which is not wrong, but also not everything.
So what do I do? I can wear gloves to get groceries but if I get Corona on them during my visit and I whip out my card to pay at the end the card itself would be infected wouldn't it? (which i usually put back in my pocket).

Not to mention washing all the groceries wrapped in plastic (everything these days)? (or parking them for 3 days)
South Africa on lockdown for 3 weeks. Getting more and more concerned by the minute. I think it's pretty much inevitable at this point that the hospital system will be overwhelmed. Too many very, very low income households (in areas with extremely high pop density) living day to day that cannot afford to miss a single day's work. A large portion of this demographic also rely on stupidly overcrowded minibus taxis to get to work, and that wont stop. It's going to spread like wildfire.
DadJoke007: I'm criticizing those who don't read or can't understand studies properly and instead fall back on appealing to authority and blind faith in those authorities.
100% agree. Because of my poor English, I won't try to explain how easy it is to do false researches at present with little chance of being recognized. To even start with, it should be explained first how research are proceeding and like I said, I'm not able to do it.

But simple "midway" examples.

You take hundred 60-year-old men and hundred 30-year-old women, but you declare that they are 100 random men, 100 random women. You give them same tasks to prove that women are stronger and smarter than men.

You take hundred adults grew up in rich families after divorce and hundred adults grew up in poor but stable families but you declare that was 100 random people from divorced homes and 100 random people from "normal" families. You compare them to prove that divorce make better chance to future success of children.

You can do something like that in every kind of science, even mathematical sciences (but it's hard to do it deliberately).

Do you understand what I mean? Scientists are just people, some of them are greedy, some think only about their individual profit or try to make people to think the same way they do etc. etc. Professors in most cases are just people of science who has money or connections that allows them to make publications and books.
low rated
deleted
Post edited March 26, 2020 by Fender_178
DadJoke007: You probably misunderstood me, I don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm criticizing those who don't read or can't understand studies properly and instead fall back on appealing to authority and blind faith in those authorities.

The thing those who appeal to authority has in common with religious fanatics is that they have chosen an authority to believe blindly since they don't understand it themselves, thus making them vulnerable to a bad interpretation of studies or downright lying. The only thing that differentiates these people from religious fanatics is that religious nuts believe blindly in priests on the basis of authority, while people who "believe in science" believe in their priests (professors). If it had been 80 years ago, these people would have shunned those who went against the priest instead of those that went against scientific authorities.

If you just accept something on the basis of authority, you're doing a leap of faith no matter if you choose a professor or a priest. The professor is probably right more often than not, but nobody is above bias or lying for personal gain.

So I'm not against science, quite the opposite, I'm just saying that people should be humble enough to admit they don't know when they truly don't know. :)
But what else can they do? If they aren't scientists then they must take a source of information. The advantage of the science vs religion is that science can be challenged by those that do know about it. It's easy, and frankly arrogant to just state that the sheep are fools, but it's not useful unless you give that guy that got a D in his science class an alternative.

For all you know you're as big a fool, someone taught you the science and someone is giving you the information on what science is being reported. You're taking you reference material from somewhere and you're basing assumptions on prior research that it's impossible for you to have fully verified. We are all dependent on scientific authority to some extent.
low rated
morolf: Politicians in Germany are playing stupid political games as well, there have been rows between the minister presidents of Bavaria and North-Rhine-Westphalia over how to proceed (they both probably want to succeed Merkel as chancellor, so there's a rivalry who comes across as the better crisis manager). Pretty pathetic imo.
Yeah, over here they(dems this time) blocked the payouts for those who need it for some dumb reason or other.....imo if the president can he should go over their heads(national emergency, etc) and push it through(the current form of the bill).

Some here(especially the ones let go from their jobs, homeless, etc) need the aid, not bickering in DC.

morolf: One problem of course is that so much medical equipment and drugs are manufactured in China nowadays, more needs to be done to ramp up emergency production capabilities in western countries.
As said, many of our larger corporations could switch over to help make some things, and the president could order them to....dunno why he isn't doing so by now, tbh.

(Also I heard Merkel might have it/has it......all I can do is go "ha ha" and point like Nelson from the simpsons.....I wonder, does that make me a bad guy? :|)

===================================================

Fender_178: Well GameStop is batting a 1000. They are staying open despite the quarantine by stating they are an essential business and when the police show up they have some kind of documentation stating they are above the law and they can stay open. I can understand why they are doing it which is because they are doing so poor financially if they closed for a couple of weeks they will never reopen. But I don't agree with what they are doing.
That's old news........at least where i'm at.

Some here have closed due to being in malls/etc that shut down, and it's likely the cops will make any others close down if they don't comply(only actual essentials are now allowed open as of sunday in NY state).

================================================

Nice points in this post-the email it is quoting....as for this bit:

Zoltan999: "Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. #flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.”
Eh, i'd rather people be cautious but not afraid too much.....don't want people to panic(more), after all.
Post edited March 23, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
babark: Would you follow the information in the facebook post or gog post, or would you follow the information from the CDC or WHO? Would you propagate the information that the CDC or WHO released, or that from the facebook post.
Whichever has the best, most accurate & helpful information, obviously....no matter where it came from.

Saying or inferring that ONLY "official" sources are good/informative & other sources are all/nearly all bad/uninformative is a fallacy in and of itself.

babark: Which one would you post the information of if you saw the other being propagated? Which would you chide people for propagating?
I'd post anything reasonably reliable WHILE NOTING SOURCE and telling people to use common sense when reading/processing what said info said.

I also wouldn't chide anything but obviously false/bad info.

babark: It's all very well to say "Oh, I would do my due diligence and research the topic", but the vast majority of people are not equipped for that sort of research. The vast majority of people don't care about that research. Many people just want to hear their own voice, so they're willing to spread whatever mis/information comes their way, and can lead it to becoming viral.
Then they need to DO SAID RESEARCH and not be lazy about it....if they choose not to then it's somewhat on them for not taking this seriously enough to do some research(or ask others who can do so) during all this.

=========================================

amok: this is good advice to stay healthy, yes. has nothing specific to do with COVID-19, but eating fresh fruit, going for a walk, exercising, drinking in moderation, not smoking are all good advice for general health. (UV is a myth, though... need to be careful as it can give skin cancer)
Lemon juice/etc WILL keep people healthy and help them possibly avoid getting other problems during their isolation, and UV light is bad for people but good(afaik) for "disinfecting" other things(small objects one must touch often, etc)....of course one has to be very careful when handling such light(don't shine it in anyone's eyes, or expose one's self to it while using it on other objects, etc).

=======================================

Dray2k: Besides, science, or simple deductive observations from the data points made through logical conclusion we have established is basically the only thing that matters regarding this entire subject. Also science is the reason you were able to post this in the first place my good friend :>! Science might be slow (as in, it takes time to come up with solutions), but it is by far not only different but more accurate than many religious perspectives, simply because the focus of religion and spirituality is very much different then modern hard epistemology. And that comes from someone who actually is quite a religious person. You can't compare the two, doing so is nonsense.
I disagree somewhat.......for example, some(in those fields or the common man) will often take what a scientist they trust says as "gospel", and some scientists are shunned due to having unpopular(even if correct) stances/theories/etc.
=======================================

eric5h5: They never had anything like that.
Yes, they did....it was an official memo/letterhead sent out to some(maybe most) stores...at least in the US.
========================================

docbear1975: I think people who live in my state (and the rest of the US, for that matter) need to be prepared for a harsh reality: life is not going back to normal any time soon, if it ever does.
People(once the lockdowns are lifted) need to live their lives & not let fear rule over them(easier said than done, I know).

docbear1975: There's a possibility in the US that people could be asked to hunker down until August or September. My friend's opinion: reopen everything now and let the virus work its way through. Let nature take its course.
I think we should wait 1-2 months then re-open stuff bit by bit.....but I also believe that long is "overkill"....if 1-2 months of EVERYONE being locked down doesn't stem the tide of this a few extra months beyond that likely won't do so.

docbear1975: Otherwise, we're just prolonging the misery and destroying the economy. That's his opinion.
He's right....businesses will suffer and people have already been laid off....if we don't get back to work at some point many more will be let go, run out of money/food/etc and more will suffer and possibly die due to the lockdowns(if too long).

docbear1975: IHowever, if you're going to be serious about social distancing and reducing the spread, then you can't take half-hearted measures, which is essentially what the US is doing. You can't ask people to shelter in place, then leave beaches, parks, and gyms open. You need to be prepared to enforce these measures.
Agreed/well said
Post edited March 23, 2020 by GameRager
Pheace: Not to mention washing all the groceries wrapped in plastic (everything these days)? (or parking them for 3 days)
I did that today with plastic-wrapped groceries who come into the fridge (cheese, milk etc.), in water with some detergent (supposedly kills viruses)...my reasoning was that the virus can survive longer in colder temperatures. With other groceries I just "park" them for a few days which should be safe enough.
Interesting video about this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQUHc8wbRc
zstrastwa: Media and governments are enjoying the hell out of this.
Gee, ever stop and consider this is NOT a good time for cool, edgy, "Fuck The Establishment" ranting?