It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
XzAr_79: As Heisenberg from Breaking Bad said: "you're goddamn right". We're close insanity thanks to media... We're living a very difficult situation but panic is the last thing we need and it seems they don't care because the important thing is increase ratings, I suppose...
This likely will sound "wrong", but bear with me a sec: Imo some people were going to panic at some point regardless, for some reason...that's sadly in our nature to some extent.

(Although I don't think people should intentionally try to spread fear as fact among the general population)

=========================================

SonicScientist1987: Hello people. We as gamers can help with covid-19 giving scientists more computing power:

https://www.pcgamer.com/join-pc-gamers-foldinghome-team-and-help-research-a-cure-for-covid-19/
I used to do BOINC back in the day(for SETI and such)....might do this as well at some point....thanks for the link.

=========================================================

ThorChild: Now if you personally are upset because this pandemic has upset your daily routine, well tough luck. Grow up and understand the reality of the situation we are all facing.
Dunno about others, but with me it's less the fact it disrupted me(it didn't, much), but me worrying if it will go beyond the needed time periods/that they'll use this to keep some/more such powers for an indefinite period.

ThorChild: Again the media are not to blame for covid-19, we will be to blame however by being too complacent over it. There are very few solutions to the problem it represents to us, and the smart money is in following the advice of the experts that understand the situation better than anyone (CDC, WHO etc).
The WHO/CDC? The same ones who dragged their feet on calling it a pandemic when they should've done so much earlier?

Yes, they provide some good info but I don't usually trust ANYONE in power 100% in general.

ThorChild: Covid-19 is a virus, a virus NEEDS new people to move into and infect. Remove that vector (or reduce it enough) and the virus dies out. That is about the only solution until we get a proper vaccine (a way off for the moment). It's just what the experts will tell you.
True, though as I have said: They should've done all this earlier.....now it'll likely not be as effective/take longer to pass by this and get it under control.

Also if they expect anyone to live under these conditions for as long as it might take to make a vaccine(over 12 months, some say) they have water on the brain, imo.
Post edited March 22, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
Random_Coffee: I have located the shipment of Ambrosia. After driving 120km, I have successfully bought bitter lemon tonic and Beefeater. It's time to self-medicate.
Is your brain augmented by alcohol yet? o.0 ;)
high rated
ANubody who still thinks this is a hoax or is being overhyped by the evil media is an idiot, frankly.

I avoided this thread because I knew it would be a cesspool, but the early pages were worse then I thought.
COnspiracy Thories, "It just the flu" crap, etc.
It has sobered up the last few pages thought.
Post edited March 22, 2020 by dudalb
low rated
I'm bored again, time to contribute.
ThorChild: We can't blame Covid-19 on the media.
Of course not, I feel however that some media contribute to some of the panic to some capacities. Not every piece of media of course, but IMHO this is not the time for pompous headlines and stuff like that. Memetic science is your keyword there. I think the panic is caused by memetical degradation. If many people hear something that is complicated and takes some time to understand people will fill up the gaps with nonsense, the original and thus pure information will gets lost. Its part of the reason why people worldwide show the same behavior in bunkering toilet paper.

As user GameRager stated, its the nature of some people to panic. There is always a small very extreme destribution of people which react to sensible situations in an extreme manner. The reasons why that is are very specific though.

ThorChild: Covid-19 is a virus (like Sars etc) and this one just happens to be incredibly contagious (like a common flu) with a range of symptoms that can often be mild, but when it is not it is very nasty, and both young and old are in danger if they catch it, with it obviously being more dangerous for the elderly.
Incorrect, the virus is not covid-19, thats how the illness is called. The virus is called SARS-CoV-2 (same nomenclature as SARS-CoV from 2003). You should also inform yourself about SARS and its origins to understand why that specific strain of coronavirus is fairly unique and dangerous and why we have to get it of it quick (besides the things that I wrote about of course).

ThorChild: The fallout of this virus has been predictable, in that it has damaged economic activity, and in this particular case those nations that have not stopped economic activity quickly (like they did in China) they have seen some of the worst problems associate with the virus.
Indeed, through the ripple effect is more significant than anticipated. I've predicted something like this was bound to happen in October last year between 2020 and 2022, because it was statistically overdue. Most scientists that actually are real virologists and work in the field (I'm not :>!) predicted this a decade, or even 12 years prior, with almost 100% accuracy when it would happen.

That nobody listened is simply because of hubris. Be prepared of what will happen between 2030-2035, thats where the next, most likely worse, pandemia will/must happen. Again, some healthy alarmism should be warranted. After all, being prepared and learning so the next time doesn't seem too severe should be of anybodies interests now.

ThorChild: But again we can't blame any of this on the media. Sure you get good and bad media coverage, and really all i can say is if you don't like the coverage your particular media channel is doing, either don't watch it or change to a news source you feel better about. All the media is doing is let people know (or lie about the truth) what is going on in relation to this virus.
True, the population and the media must both be level headed now. Mistakes are common sense errors that everyone does. This sense of extreme retribution is primarily because social media and its baggage drives us around like dumb monkeys and a lot of peoples lives are directly controlled by it. It practically replaced medieval religious dogma. We became far too vindictive because of social media as well. People stopped seeing it as a tool and they let it became their life. The worst types of infection are those of the parasitic kind, where people believe they must depend on social media like their life is on the line without it (its a little bit more complicated as there are lots of careers made because they're famous due to social media, but thats besides the initial point).

ThorChild: If you follow the media that suggests this is all a hoax or a myth for reasons xyz, then you simply are putting your life and the life of your friends and family at risk. Just look at China or Italy to understand the reality of covid-19. Could a whole country make this up as a joke? I think not.
Italy is the better example to name now as their infrastructure is about to collapse. China was quite close but they managed to handle the crisis extremly well.

ThorChild: Now if you personally are upset because this pandemic has upset your daily routine, well tough luck. Grow up and understand the reality of the situation we are all facing.

Again the media are not to blame for covid-19, we will be to blame however by being too complacent over it. There are very few solutions to the problem it represents to us, and the smart money is in following the advice of the experts that understand the situation better than anyone (CDC, WHO etc).
Or talk to real virologists and practising doctors, or listen to podcasts where real doctors or virologists talk about stuff. I'm sure there exists some in your language (or maybe Italians doesn't have podcast culture, it would be strange but I have no idea).

ThorChild: Covid-19 is a virus, a virus NEEDS new people to move into and infect. Remove that vector (or reduce it enough) and the virus dies out. That is about the only solution until we get a proper vaccine (a way off for the moment). It's just what the experts will tell you.
Yeah, it will require some efforts to slow down infection rates vastly, in this case its best to distribute the virus smoothly and evenly to not overstrain the medical framework of anyones country.

Should things proceed I'm sure that within the next four months life can become "normal" again in most countries. I fear that many people became accustimized on the new lifestyle however and may show their own unique but extreme reactions once they're confronted again with normality (its a minority, but still worth of note).

EDIT:
GameRager: *snip*
GameRager quoteed so he knows I wrote of him in this post.

EDIT 2: Just checked the thread again and this post got low-rated that has contents such as "listen to podcasts where real virologists talk about the topic" in it. But whatever, you guys do you :>!
Post edited March 23, 2020 by Dray2k
low rated
Nice post overall...that said a small reply(gaming atm and had not much to post to the other bits atm) :

Dray2k: That nobody listened is simply because of hubris. Be prepared of what will happen between 2030-2035, thats where the next, most likely worse, pandemia will/must happen. Again, some healthy alarmism should be varranted. After all, being prepared and learning so the next time doesn't seem too severe should be of anybodies interests now.
My sad(yet likely correct and very sobering) prediction is that once this blows over people will become complacent again and pave the way for another similar situation long off into the future.

(Essentially not enough people listen to the "If one doesn't learn from history, they are doomed to repeat it" line/stance/etc)
thereald3bug: You are safer wearing a full face shield because that will prevent droplets from entering your mouth, or eyes... N95 masks DO filter out viruses... the standard paper masks do not... period... that was the point I was making. If you want a style of mask that will you are better off making your own with some cloth, and a HEPA filter which will capture the viruses by diffusion... as a side bonus you can do it with any print you like and be stylin' in your own custom EFFECTIVE mask... still need to protect the eys though with either a face shield or safety goggles (better still)
I think tremere was simply pointing out that your statement "typical masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission" was not exactly accurate. Yes, N95 masks are the only ones that can filter out viruses, but that's talking about airborne- i.e. you breathe in air with virus in it, and the mask will stop that. But the covid19 virus isn't airborne, it is transmitted through droplets, which can (to some extent) be blocked by "typical masks".
That's the entire actual purpose of surgical masks: they're meant to be worn by hospital personnel to prevent their droplets (e.g. from coughing and sneezing and speaking) from reaching and infecting their patients.

So yeah, in a world where everyone touches their face, everyone talks with inivisible droplets of spit flying out of their mouth, everyone ends up touching surfaces that other people touch: any sort of mask (or even face shield isn't going to make you immune to catching the disease. But it does definitely help prevent viral transmission.

ThorChild: Again the media are not to blame for covid-19, we will be to blame however by being too complacent over it. There are very few solutions to the problem it represents to us, and the smart money is in following the advice of the experts that understand the situation better than anyone (CDC, WHO etc).
GameRager: The WHO/CDC? The same ones who dragged their feet on calling it a pandemic when they should've done so much earlier?

Yes, they provide some good info but I don't usually trust ANYONE in power 100% in general.

GameRager: True, though as I have said: They should've done all this earlier.....now it'll likely not be as effective/take longer to pass by this and get it under control.

Also if they expect anyone to live under these conditions for as long as it might take to make a vaccine(over 12 months, some say) they have water on the brain, imo.
Claims that the WHO or CDC have anything resembling power or ability to overreach is hilarious. They're probably the most defanged and smashed up organisations ever (in no small part to constant budget cuts and personnel reductions by the people in power). But yeah, out of all the sources to get information about the disease, where people are using facebook posts, gog threads (I love you guys, but anyone who is using gog as their primary source for info on covid19 needs to get their head checked), conspiracy websites to get information (that is 99% of the time false, and very often harmful), it's hugely irresponsible to dilute the message that you should be only getting info from such bodies as the WHO or CDC. Who do you suggest getting info from otherwise?

PS: Nobody is expecting people to socially isolate and distance themselves for over 12 months. The virus has an incubation period of 1-14 days- theoretically, if people just kept to themselves and didn't infect others for that amount of time, the virus would be gone in a fortnight.
Practically, it probably won't be gone in a fortnight, because people just don't accept that they should practice social distancing, but hopefully it will slow the spread enough so that some degree of stability can be reached.
Post edited March 22, 2020 by babark
No entry or transit through Singapore for all short-term visitors.

All short-term visitors will no longer be allowed to enter or transit through Singapore from 11:59pm on Monday (March 23rd) in view of the heightened risks of importing coronavirus cases into the country.
Work pass holders and their dependants will be allowed to return to Singapore only if they work in sectors that provide essential services such as healthcare and transport.

The measures were announced a day after two patients - a 75-year-old Singaporean woman and a 64-year-old Indonesian man - died from Covid-19 due to complications. They were the first deaths the Republic has seen.

Condolences to the families.
Here in the US we have a shortage on surgical masks to the point of that hospital workers had to not wear one or reuse the same one. Thanks US government for being stupid and not being prepared.

thereald3bug: You are safer wearing a full face shield because that will prevent droplets from entering your mouth, or eyes... N95 masks DO filter out viruses... the standard paper masks do not... period... that was the point I was making. If you want a style of mask that will you are better off making your own with some cloth, and a HEPA filter which will capture the viruses by diffusion... as a side bonus you can do it with any print you like and be stylin' in your own custom EFFECTIVE mask... still need to protect the eys though with either a face shield or safety goggles (better still)
babark: I think tremere was simply pointing out that your statement "typical masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission" was not exactly accurate. Yes, N95 masks are the only ones that can filter out viruses, but that's talking about airborne- i.e. you breathe in air with virus in it, and the mask will stop that. But the covid19 virus isn't airborne, it is transmitted through droplets, which can (to some extent) be blocked by "typical masks".
That's the entire actual purpose of surgical masks: they're meant to be worn by hospital personnel to prevent their droplets (e.g. from coughing and sneezing and speaking) from reaching and infecting their patients.

So yeah, in a world where everyone touches their face, everyone talks with inivisible droplets of spit flying out of their mouth, everyone ends up touching surfaces that other people touch: any sort of mask (or even face shield isn't going to make you immune to catching the disease. But it does definitely help prevent viral transmission.

GameRager: The WHO/CDC? The same ones who dragged their feet on calling it a pandemic when they should've done so much earlier?

True, though as I have said: They should've done all this earlier.....now it'll likely not be as effective/take longer to pass by this and get it under control.

babark: Claims that the WHO or CDC have anything resembling power or ability to overreach is hilarious. They're probably the most defanged and smashed up organisations ever (in no small part to constant budget cuts and personnel reductions by the people in power). But yeah, out of all the sources to get information about the disease, where people are using facebook posts, gog threads (I love you guys, but anyone who is using gog as their primary source for info on covid19 needs to get their head checked), conspiracy websites to get information (that is 99% of the time false, and very often harmful), it's hugely irresponsible to dilute the message that you should be only getting info from such bodies as the WHO or CDC. Who do you suggest getting info from otherwise?

PS: Nobody is expecting people to socially isolate and distance themselves for over 12 months. The virus has an incubation period of 1-14 days- theoretically, if people just kept to themselves and didn't infect others for that amount of time, the virus would be gone in a fortnight.
Practically, it probably won't be gone in a fortnight, because people just don't accept that they should practice social distancing, but hopefully it will slow the spread enough so that some degree of stability can be reached.
Also sick people wearing masks also prevents the virus from spreading to people who are not sick.
Post edited March 22, 2020 by Fender_178
low rated
ThorChild: We can't blame Covid-19 on the media.

Covid-19 is a virus (like Sars etc) and this one just happens to be incredibly contagious (like a common flu) with a range of symptoms that can often be mild, but when it is not it is very nasty, and both young and old are in danger if they catch it, with it obviously being more dangerous for the elderly.

The fallout of this virus has been predictable, in that it has damaged economic activity, and in this particular case those nations that have not stopped economic activity quickly (like they did in China) they have seen some of the worst problems associate with the virus.

But again we can't blame any of this on the media. Sure you get good and bad media coverage, and really all i can say is if you don't like the coverage your particular media channel is doing, either don't watch it or change to a news source you feel better about. All the media is doing is let people know (or lie about the truth) what is going on in relation to this virus.

If you follow the media that suggests this is all a hoax or a myth for reasons xyz, then you simply are putting your life and the life of your friends and family at risk. Just look at China or Italy to understand the reality of covid-19. Could a whole country make this up as a joke? I think not.

Now if you personally are upset because this pandemic has upset your daily routine, well tough luck. Grow up and understand the reality of the situation we are all facing.

Again the media are not to blame for covid-19, we will be to blame however by being too complacent over it. There are very few solutions to the problem it represents to us, and the smart money is in following the advice of the experts that understand the situation better than anyone (CDC, WHO etc).

Covid-19 is a virus, a virus NEEDS new people to move into and infect. Remove that vector (or reduce it enough) and the virus dies out. That is about the only solution until we get a proper vaccine (a way off for the moment). It's just what the experts will tell you.
"Experts" are people who herd sheep, and sheep appreciate that very much and take offense when they aren't lavished with deference -- in spite of the fact that they are designated by the people who fleece and eat them.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it turned out that this virus could be killed by going to a sauna or sweat lodge, and there was no medical necessity for a ginormously profitable vaccine? lol
Post edited March 22, 2020 by richlind33
low rated
A lot to read, interesting
low rated
babark: ....it's hugely irresponsible to dilute the message that you should be only getting info from such bodies as the WHO or CDC. Who do you suggest getting info from otherwise?
Imo it's almost as bad(thought not as as bad) to blidnly trust state/govt sources as anything else without fact checking and common sense.

I suggest people read all non-joke sources and use common sense/checking with others in the know.

babark: PS: Nobody is expecting people to socially isolate and distance themselves for over 12 months. The virus has an incubation period of 1-14 days- theoretically, if people just kept to themselves and didn't infect others for that amount of time, the virus would be gone in a fortnight.
Supposedly they want to keep it going much longer, and that is what worries some of us if only a bit.
GameRager: Imo it's almost as bad(thought not as as bad) to blidnly trust state/govt sources as anything else without fact checking and common sense.

I suggest people read all non-joke sources and use common sense/checking with others in the know.
Science isn't "common sense". It isn't something you can "feel good about" and then accept. There's lots of information here (and on facebook, and twitter, and your memepages, and your uncle who knows a guy in the government) that isn't jokey, "makes sense" and is absolutely false- people telling other people to drink hot water as that kills the virus, to take antibiotics, to eat their vitamins and drink their orange juice to kill the virus, that's all very "common sense" information, that's absolutely completely false, and as a result, incredibly harmful in this situation (as in literally contributing to killing people).

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, and it's not a negative reflection on you or anyone else, but people who spend their lives studying this stuff know more about it than you.
Post edited March 22, 2020 by babark
From Russia with love...

Russia sends help to Italy as well. <3
richlind33: A hammer isn't an ideology. Capitalism has a profound impact on how human beings interact with each other. Nothing else has a comparable effect, which underscores why socio-economics is paramount.

Humans may or may not be moral, depending on how we live our lives. When we place ourselves in the service of those who are amoral, we are not moral beings. Not at all.
Would you guys stop discussing ontology of morality on corona virus thread? Ffs, philosophy, outside logic is completely meaningless.

Anyway, here in capital of Croatia we thought Covid-19 wasn't bad enough and with all of us being hardcore gamers of the game called "Real Life" decided to try surviving a medium strength earthquake during pandemic as well, just for that little bit of extra challenge.
My wife's a nurse and the weird thing to me is that both her hospitals are way UNDER their normal patient load. We live in a major Northeastern city too, not the middle of nowhere. She even got sent home the other day because there was nothing to do.

I'm not denying hospitals are struggling other places, like Italy and New York, but it's weird to me there aren't a flood of people at least wanting tested or freaking out over normal colds and flus. Her unit has 11 patients today and normally has 25-30. People staying home instead of getting checked out I guess.