It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We can't blame Covid-19 on the media.

Covid-19 is a virus (like Sars etc) and this one just happens to be incredibly contagious (like a common flu) with a range of symptoms that can often be mild, but when it is not it is very nasty, and both young and old are in danger if they catch it, with it obviously being more dangerous for the elderly.

The fallout of this virus has been predictable, in that it has damaged economic activity, and in this particular case those nations that have not stopped economic activity quickly (like they did in China) they have seen some of the worst problems associate with the virus.

But again we can't blame any of this on the media. Sure you get good and bad media coverage, and really all i can say is if you don't like the coverage your particular media channel is doing, either don't watch it or change to a news source you feel better about. All the media is doing is let people know (or lie about the truth) what is going on in relation to this virus.

If you follow the media that suggests this is all a hoax or a myth for reasons xyz, then you simply are putting your life and the life of your friends and family at risk. Just look at China or Italy to understand the reality of covid-19. Could a whole country make this up as a joke? I think not.

Now if you personally are upset because this pandemic has upset your daily routine, well tough luck. Grow up and understand the reality of the situation we are all facing.

Again the media are not to blame for covid-19, we will be to blame however by being too complacent over it. There are very few solutions to the problem it represents to us, and the smart money is in following the advice of the experts that understand the situation better than anyone (CDC, WHO etc).

Covid-19 is a virus, a virus NEEDS new people to move into and infect. Remove that vector (or reduce it enough) and the virus dies out. That is about the only solution until we get a proper vaccine (a way off for the moment). It's just what the experts will tell you.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by ThorChild
Due to lockdown amid scares of coronavirus, I'm finally free!

Report from India
First day of total curfew is tomorrow after multiple days of calls for reduced crowding at public places and re-scheduling of important things like exams and religious events. All educational institutions are finally closed after universities refused to reschedule exams until 2 days ago. I'm not in the most affected state but one where there are a lot of cases of coronavirus compared to other states.

Local courts (where I go to work) still aren't completely closed and were hearing urgent matters until yesterday. Kinda seems like it was / is a huge risk now that everyone seems to be on such high alert. As of yesterday, buses were still crowded and less than 20% of people were wearing masks. Hand sanitizer and masks are in short supply or sold out everywhere. Still no empty streets like in Italy. Govt has fixed the price for hand sanitizer and face masks.

Don't know how far curfew may be taken so unsure about whether there's a need to stock up on food. First cases of people without foreign contact testing positive have been reported.

Situation is uncertain all round. How is everyone else holding up?
paladin181: But the flu has infected between 38,000,000 and 54,000,000 people since October, which, at the lowest estimated rate of the flu, is approximately 2,300 times more people than Coronavirus has infected in the US and the flu has killed between 23,000 and 59,000 since October (Source). The reason for panic is because the media isn't reporting every case of the flu that pops up and isn't telling you about every person dying from flu. The precautions to avoid the flu are the EXACT SAME as the precautions to avoid COVID-19. The difference is that they can't sell you on fear if you actually look at the numbers. This is why some people are largely unconcerned about the Coronavirus, and why it is compared to the flu. This thing is not the dangerous threat they are selling it as.
This was me (and basically my whole country) two weeks ago. It's painful to watch others make the same mistakes.

The problem is not the fatality rate. The problem is that, because of the way the virus spreads, it has the potential to overflow the medical system's capacity (long incubation period in which contagion is possible from asyntomatic patients, no existing immunity because a vaccine doesn't exist yet). At some point hospitals just can't take patients that need assistance. This is something that doesn't happen with the flu. Just take a look at what's happening currently in Italy and Spain (reports from medical professionals who are working right now to stop the epidemic).
paladin181: Did you know Coronavirus currently has a confirmed (approximately) 16,000 cases in the US? That's .000048% or roughly 1 in ever 20,000+ people (Source ). It has killed (or rather helped kill) 200 people. That is 1.25%. That is of confirmed reported cases. It is estimated that 80% of cases are unreported due to mild or no symptoms (Source ). 16,000 is 20% of 80,000 (which would be the total estimate of cases in the US, but cannot be confirmed), but if that number is remotely accurate the mortality rate is actually closer to 0.25% which is still higher than say the flu.

But the flu has infected between 38,000,000 and 54,000,000 people since October, which, at the lowest estimated rate of the flu, is approximately 2,300 times more people than Coronavirus has infected in the US and the flu has killed between 23,000 and 59,000 since October (Source). The reason for panic is because the media isn't reporting every case of the flu that pops up and isn't telling you about every person dying from flu. The precautions to avoid the flu are the EXACT SAME as the precautions to avoid COVID-19. The difference is that they can't sell you on fear if you actually look at the numbers. This is why some people are largely unconcerned about the Coronavirus, and why it is compared to the flu. This thing is not the dangerous threat they are selling it as.
The main issue isn't that the coronavirus is particularly deadly as compared to the flu - it's that it's threatening to overwhelm our healthcare infrastructure. It doesn't help that it's occurring during a particularly deadly flu season. You have a large number of flu cases and throw coronavirus cases on top of it. If the illnesses were spread out or it was just the coronavirus getting people sick it wouldn't be much of an issue. As it stands the healthcare infrastructure is in danger of collapse. If that occurs deaths will skyrocket because hospitals can't treat life threatening conditions (and not just because of coronavirus/flu).

I DO blame the media for not making this clear why we need to quarantine. I blame them for the fear mongering leading to panic buying resulting in vulnerable people not getting the supplies they need.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by tremere110
Shadowstalker16: Due to lockdown amid scares of coronavirus, I'm finally free!

Report from India
First day of total curfew is tomorrow after multiple days of calls for reduced crowding at public places and re-scheduling of important things like exams and religious events. All educational institutions are finally closed after universities refused to reschedule exams until 2 days ago. I'm not in the most affected state but one where there are a lot of cases of coronavirus compared to other states.

Local courts (where I go to work) still aren't completely closed and were hearing urgent matters until yesterday. Kinda seems like it was / is a huge risk now that everyone seems to be on such high alert. As of yesterday, buses were still crowded and less than 20% of people were wearing masks. Hand sanitizer and masks are in short supply or sold out everywhere. Still no empty streets like in Italy. Govt has fixed the price for hand sanitizer and face masks.

Don't know how far curfew may be taken so unsure about whether there's a need to stock up on food. First cases of people without foreign contact testing positive have been reported.

I hate to break this to you, but the typical masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission. The ONLY mask that will help is the N95 type masks (with the respirator cartridge)... not the typical healthcare mask. Viruses go right through just fine. The best way to prevent transmission is through isolation, hygiene (particularly washing hands for a minimum of 20seconds, washing surfaces, etc... regular soap, anti-bacterial soap does absolutely nothing to viruses), and common sense practices.
I don't understand if you're referring to antrad's post or mine, but here's my answer. If not, well, don't consider it at all. ;)

ThorChild: We can't blame Covid-19 on the media.
That's not my entire point. What I blame is people which don't verify on official source like ministry of health site. The problem about the media is how they can spread panic. If I'm not wrong there are some other posts on this thread about they focus only on deaths and not on healings, for example.

ThorChild: Sure you get good and bad media coverage, and really all i can say is if you don't like the coverage your particular media channel is doing, either don't watch it or change to a news source you feel better about. All the media is doing is let people know (or lie about the truth) what is going on in relation to this virus.
If you follow the media that suggests this is all a hoax or a myth for reasons xyz, then you simply are putting your life and the life of your friends and family at risk.
In fact I don't watch media. I prefer to read news about virus on ministry of health site.

ThorChild: Just look at China or Italy to understand the reality of covid-19. Could a whole country make this up as a joke? I think not.
I live in Italy so I think I understand the reality of covid-19.

ThorChild: Now if you personally are upset because this pandemic has upset your daily routine, well tough luck. Grow up and understand the reality of the situation we are all facing.
I understand the reality of the situation but I don't understand this point and even your tone... Maybe i didn't write well what I had in mind. I'll try to explain better my thoughts: I'm upset about every not verified news assumed by people as true. For example today on ministry of health site there's a new page about not to protect from the virus... but from the fake news, and I can assure you that I talk to people who believed that some of these were surely true.
Here's the link http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioNotizieNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4276 It's in italian but you can use google translate if you'd like to read it.

ThorChild: Again the media are not to blame for covid-19
And again that's not my point. See the message above.

ThorChild: It's just what the experts will tell you.
This is my point. Many people consider every message on social media or every news on media mainstream as THE truth, even without reading what the only official source says about it.
This time I hope you can understand my point.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by XzAr_79
Shadowstalker16: Due to lockdown amid scares of coronavirus, I'm finally free!

Report from India

thereald3bug: I hate to break this to you, but the typical masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission. The ONLY mask that will help is the N95 type masks (with the respirator cartridge)... not the typical healthcare mask. Viruses go right through just fine. The best way to prevent transmission is through isolation, hygiene (particularly washing hands for a minimum of 20seconds, washing surfaces, etc... regular soap, anti-bacterial soap does absolutely nothing to viruses), and common sense practices.
Regular masks still offer protection - better than nothing at all. Coronavirus aren't airborne - they require droplets to spread so as long as your mask can block those it can help prevent infection - nowhere near as well as N95 masks though. If it was airborne like the measles then nothing you wear on your face aside from N95 masks would help.

Even N95 masks by themselves aren't a guarantee. A direct sneeze to the face will put the virus in your eyes which can then travel down your tearducts into your respiratory system.
thereald3bug: I hate to break this to you, but the typical masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission. The ONLY mask that will help is the N95 type masks (with the respirator cartridge)... not the typical healthcare mask. Viruses go right through just fine. The best way to prevent transmission is through isolation, hygiene (particularly washing hands for a minimum of 20seconds, washing surfaces, etc... regular soap, anti-bacterial soap does absolutely nothing to viruses), and common sense practices.
tremere110: Regular masks still offer protection - better than nothing at all. Coronavirus aren't airborne - they require droplets to spread so as long as your mask can block those it can help prevent infection - nowhere near as well as N95 masks though. If it was airborne like the measles then nothing you wear on your face aside from N95 masks would help.

Even N95 masks by themselves aren't a guarantee. A direct sneeze to the face will put the virus in your eyes which can then travel down your tearducts into your respiratory system.
Nothing will help you if you get a sneeze to the face other than a face shield... that is kind of obvious. The point I was making is healthcare masks do absolutely NOTHING to prevent the transmission of viruses. You are safer wearing a full face shield because that will prevent droplets from entering your mouth, or eyes... N95 masks DO filter out viruses... the standard paper masks do not... period... that was the point I was making. If you want a style of mask that will you are better off making your own with some cloth, and a HEPA filter which will capture the viruses by diffusion... as a side bonus you can do it with any print you like and be stylin' in your own custom EFFECTIVE mask... still need to protect the eys though with either a face shield or safety goggles (better still)
I have a friend who uses an activated carbon gas mask. I really doubt he changes the activated carbon filter regularly, and he took it off to have lunch with me. Its shocking how people think wearing a mask and inviting friends to a lunch is an acceptable behaviour if there was this risk of contracting the virus. Obviously he's not using any form of protection properly.

I was researching WHO and US CDC. surgical masks are the last resort but breathing through the sides of your face isn't much different from normal breathing anyway. Its primarily to shield you from people sneezing in your face, but thats pretty mucy like having someone spit in your face.

Irritated at the strange practices motivated by belief rather than actual good practice. I tell my friends to take off their masks and stop suggesting stupid gatherings. We'd do a lot of good by not hanging out and having lunch together.

Also I'm shocked that people haven't gotten into video calling. I bought a logitech full HD 920 webcam 5 years ago and the most I got out of that was a 1 hour skype conversation with a friend in London. Otherwise its pretty pointless and takes minutes to set up, much easier on my phone. Haven't even had a serious google duo call despite having that app installed in my phone of near 2 years.
I have located the shipment of Ambrosia. After driving 120km, I have successfully bought bitter lemon tonic and Beefeater. It's time to self-medicate.
low rated
richlind33: Capitalism is inherently *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that human society at present is moral?
scientiae: You are correct to ascribe no moral dimension to a tool, though I fail to see any benefit in the statement; one may as well say: Hammers are amoral.
Society is moral, on the other hand, because it is the combined creation of humans, who are each moral beings (the tiny fraction who are sociopathic, excepted).
A hammer isn't an ideology. Capitalism has a profound impact on how human beings interact with each other. Nothing else has a comparable effect, which underscores why socio-economics is paramount.

Humans may or may not be moral, depending on how we live our lives. When we place ourselves in the service of those who are amoral, we are not moral beings. Not at all.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by richlind33
paladin181: Did you know Coronavirus currently has a confirmed (approximately) 16,000 cases in the US? That's .000048% or roughly 1 in ever 20,000+ people (Source ). It has killed (or rather helped kill) 200 people. That is 1.25%. That is of confirmed reported cases. It is estimated that 80% of cases are unreported due to mild or no symptoms (Source ). 16,000 is 20% of 80,000 (which would be the total estimate of cases in the US, but cannot be confirmed), but if that number is remotely accurate the mortality rate is actually closer to 0.25% which is still higher than say the flu.

But the flu has infected between 38,000,000 and 54,000,000 people since October, which, at the lowest estimated rate of the flu, is approximately 2,300 times more people than Coronavirus has infected in the US and the flu has killed between 23,000 and 59,000 since October (Source). The reason for panic is because the media isn't reporting every case of the flu that pops up and isn't telling you about every person dying from flu. The precautions to avoid the flu are the EXACT SAME as the precautions to avoid COVID-19. The difference is that they can't sell you on fear if you actually look at the numbers. This is why some people are largely unconcerned about the Coronavirus, and why it is compared to the flu. This thing is not the dangerous threat they are selling it as.
Interesting but still wrong analysis: other users already clarified above the reasons why COVID-19 shouldn't be underestimated and I'm going to add some simple data.
During the week from 9 to 16 March, there has been a total of 330 deaths in the city of Bergamo (northen Italy, population around 120K). During the same week of the past year, there had been 23 deaths in Bergamo.
330 is more than 14 times higher than 23. I think we all know what the cause of this difference is.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by dr.schliemann
dr.schliemann: Interesting but still wrong analysis: other users already clarified above the reasons why COVID-19 shouldn't be underestimated and I'm going to add some simple data.
During the week from 9 to 16 March, there has been a total of 330 deaths in the city of Bergamo (northen Italy, population around 120K). During the same week of the past year, there had been 23 deaths in Bergamo.
330 is more than 14 times higher than 23. I think we all know what the cause of this difference is.
And during the last 48 hours you had 1400 deaths in Italy. That number says everything. No need for further discussions. Anyone who still compares Covid 19 with the flu is an i... isn't very smart.
low rated
scientiae: You seem very confident about the future. Do you rent your crystal ball out?
That should have been stated more as my take on what might happen, not fact....sorry for that.

scientiae: Yes, “at some point” in the future, but not now. You are trying to triage before the fact.
I worry too much in general, sadly.

Also I don't like getting caught with my pants down, so to speak(I had some small amount of supplies stocked up for ANY emergency MONTHS before any of this happened(though not nearly enough as I should've).

scientiae: The first priority is to prevent this contagion from spreading, and the best strategy now is to isolate people until the threat has passed. (There have been no new cases in Wuhan for days, for instance, and should this trend last for two weeks then the isolation can be relaxed.)
It should be, but then they should've done it when we heard of it in China(blocked all flights ANYWHERE, quarantined anyone coming in on planes still in flights, etc......this stuff now is much less effective then it likely could've been had we acted from "day one".

Also feel free to call me a pessimist/worrying ahead of time/etc, but I worry a bit about the govts dropping these measures in a decent period of time.

IMO(not sure, though) they'll either worry and keep them in place for FAR longer than needed, or they'll keep them there for their own ends(again citing public health and safety).

=========================================

CervelloYM: Why are the people across United States panic buying arms?

*firearms
Probably worry(likely unfounded in most cases) of looters(especially with the police in many areas only coming out now for serious matters).

Or with some it might be fear of confiscations/being told they cannot buy any(if they don't have one already) in some places**.

(**They already banned new gun sales in a few towns/cities across the US....so it's not an entirely unfounded fear, imo)
Post edited March 22, 2020 by GameRager
PRO TIP: Keep your immune system up by drinking fresh lime juice and water first thing early in the morning.