It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
GameRager: Imo this one comment I read online makes some sense and is very sobering:

"Let's protect the at risk population by ensuring they are quarantined and provide them with what they need until we have a solution. Shutting down the entire country for a small percentage that are at risk does FAR more damage. How many lives will be lost once folks money runs out? How many people will give up when the store they have owned and operated gets shut down and all business is lost?"
DadJoke007: Isn't that one of the main concerns people have repeated since day one?
Trump is getting behind UBI and issued a moratorium on foreclosure, which is shrewd, but IMO it isn't the answer to the financialization crisis, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing and should help with public health compliance.
low rated
scientiae: Secondly, do some research. Off the top of my head, the governments of Australia, Britain, and the USA have already announced they will be providing aid for those industries hardest hit, like airlines, tourism, hospitality and education to start with, as well as workers and small businesses. The UK has announced helicopter payments for workers up to 80% of their wages for as long as necessary.
That money won't last forever if they keep it up....and a good number will fall through the cracks or be overlooked.

To me, we will have to make a choice at some point....live our lives in fear and stay as we are for a somewhat long period of time to save some people(while possibly harming others in the process), or cut our losses(after a decent lockdown period, of course) and let people earn a living/live their lives.
==============================================================

morolf: imo that greatly underestimates the difficulty of isolating vulnerable groups (which are huge, given how many people in Western societies are over 70, also diabetics and others with medical conditions...and Covid-19-mortality is already somewhat elevated for those over 50 btw)...how is that supposed to work if the virus spreads through the entire rest of the population?
Possible idea: Keep them(at risk populations) in their homes/etc(like we're doing with near everyone already) and practice things like hand washing/distancing/etc until we develop a vaccine?

morolf: All this "let's isolate the weak, so the economy won't be hurt" is just wishful thinking imo, there are no good options now.
I somewhat agree that it is likely there aren't any overly good options....which is why I think that after a good enough period(maybe 3 months) people should be allowed to go back to their lives.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
paladin181: The reason for panic is because the media isn't reporting every case of the flu that pops up and isn't telling you about every person dying from flu. The precautions to avoid the flu are the EXACT SAME as the precautions to avoid COVID-19. The difference is that they can't sell you on fear if you actually look at the numbers. This is why some people are largely unconcerned about the Coronavirus, and why it is compared to the flu. This thing is not the dangerous threat they are selling it as.
While I think it is a bit more serious than you say, I also agree with some things you said in this post & think some(in the world) are worrying too much over this and blowing it out of proportion.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
Fender_178: […] Anything is possible with contracts.
scientiae: Factually incorrect. It is not possible to write a contract that contravenes common law.
GameRager: Imo this one comment I read online makes some sense and is very sobering:

"Let's protect the at risk population by ensuring they are quarantined and provide them with what they need until we have a solution. Shutting down the entire country for a small percentage that are at risk does FAR more damage. How many lives will be lost once folks money runs out? How many people will give up when the store they have owned and operated gets shut down and all business is lost?"
scientiae: You really need to stop making these comments.

Firstly, protecting the frail is not an option in a moral society.
Secondly, do some research. Off the top of my head, the governments of Australia, Britain, and the USA have already announced they will be providing aid for those industries hardest hit, like airlines, tourism, hospitality and education to start with, as well as workers and small businesses. The UK has announced helicopter payments for workers up to 80% of their wages for as long as necessary.
Capitalism is inherently *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that human society at present is moral?
richlind33: Capitalism is inherently *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that human society at present is moral?
Cooking toast is *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that there is a human society?
It is disgusting how media and some YouTube channels are intentionally spreading panic. I click on a video about "new information" about the virus and they start with some apocalyptic music and after 2 seconds show a person in hospital bed getting a seizure, and it is just some random footage from God knows where unrelated to corona, probably some old documentary or stock footage.
antrad88: It is disgusting how media and some YouTube channels are intentionally spreading panic. I click on a video about "new information" about the virus and they start with some apocalyptic music and after 2 seconds show a person in hospital bed getting a seizure, and it is just some random footage from God knows where unrelated to corona, probably some old documentary or stock footage.
I think it's quite hard to get into a Brescian (the city I live in) hospital right now, to take photos. I assure you they are not empty.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by OlivawR
low rated
richlind33: Capitalism is inherently *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that human society at present is moral?
wpegg: Cooking toast is *amoral*, so how do you arrive at the conclusion that there is a human society?
If your dying mum asks you for toast, making her toast isn't amoral -- unless you burn it.
GameRager: That money won't last forever if they keep it up....and a good number will fall through the cracks or be overlooked.
You seem very confident about the future. Do you rent your crystal ball out?

GameRager: […] To me, we will have to make a choice at some point....live our lives in fear and stay as we are for a somewhat long period of time to save some people […].
Yes, “at some point” in the future, but not now. You are trying to triage before the fact.
The first priority is to prevent this contagion from spreading, and the best strategy now is to isolate people until the threat has passed. (There have been no new cases in Wuhan for days, for instance, and should this trend last for two weeks then the isolation can be relaxed.)
He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary.
― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

You are correct to ascribe no moral dimension to a tool, though I fail to see any benefit in the statement; one may as well say: Hammers are amoral.
Society is moral, on the other hand, because it is the combined creation of humans, who are each moral beings (the tiny fraction who are sociopathic, excepted).
my city has been shut down since monday. it's like the day after 9/11 but more desolate and a week long, with only more to come. a lot of people arent allowed to work and cant really do shit but get food and go home. also governor closed all the liquor stores because they're ran by PA. i expect crime to increase very soon.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by swsoboleski89
swsoboleski89: my city has been shut down since monday. it's like the day after 9/11 but more desolate and a week long, with only more to come. a lot of people arent allowed to work and cant really do shit but get food and go home. also governor closed all the liquor stores because they're ran by PA. i expect crime to increase very soon.
Why are the people across United States panic buying arms?

*firearms
Post edited March 21, 2020 by CervelloYM
high rated
swsoboleski89: my city has been shut down since monday. it's like the day after 9/11 but more desolate and a week long, with only more to come. a lot of people arent allowed to work and cant really do shit but get food and go home. also governor closed all the liquor stores because they're ran by PA. i expect crime to increase very soon.
CervelloYM: Why are the people across United States panic buying arms?

*firearms
It's the USA
CervelloYM: Why are the people across United States panic buying arms?

*firearms
actually we're buying more ammo than guns. and if it wasnt now, it would be the election but not this extreme. people are just preparing for a complete shutdown.
antrad88: It is disgusting how media and some YouTube channels are intentionally spreading panic. I click on a video about "new information" about the virus and they start with some apocalyptic music and after 2 seconds show a person in hospital bed getting a seizure, and it is just some random footage from God knows where unrelated to corona, probably some old documentary or stock footage.
As Heisenberg from Breaking Bad said: "you're goddamn right". We're close insanity thanks to media... We're living a very difficult situation but panic is the last thing we need and it seems they don't care because the important thing is increase ratings, I suppose...
I don't know if it's just me, but everyday I hear something new about covid-19 I discover that nobody (!) among people around me has verified on the official source (Ministry of Health) if it is true or not, but everybody are sure it is true: almost everyone watches news on tv, or fb, whatsup or everything else BUT very few people read news about covid-19 on the official site of Ministry of Health which is the only site with safe news about everything concerning covid-19.
Can I say that I'm very tired about this stupidity turned in fear thanks to media mainstream and also about some lack of critical thinking?
Sorry for the outburst but I can't stand certain situations anymore.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by XzAr_79
high rated
Hello people. We as gamers can help with covid-19 giving scientists more computing power:

https://www.pcgamer.com/join-pc-gamers-foldinghome-team-and-help-research-a-cure-for-covid-19/