It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
richlind33: Please define "democracy", if you would. Thanks.
Dray2k: Using "" already shows that you don't seem to have a high opinion on how the modern state/modern democracy functions. Its ok, many people seem to be fed up about it. I don't have much of an opinion about this but I don't really know much about political science.

So to make things short, democracy is a system where you can vote for people every couple of years that will sell you several ideas first that you really like and after you've voted for them so they're in power they will further lie and act against your own interests instead :>!

EDIT: This will be the only post slightly touching anything political as I'd like to refrain to talk about anything about the modern political zeitgeist but I also don't want to derail this thread.
I think it's a term that means nothing of significance unless you take the time to articulate precisely what you mean, and it's rather telling that you are loathe to discuss it after you yourself made reference to it. But suit yourself. ;p
There is a video on Youtube worth watching if you are interested on a clearer picture of what COVID-19 is it and it effects the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtN-goy9VOY
low rated
Dray2k: What I mean is that I'm sure that people who're still outside because of their political leaning and because they're against certain rules would amount to significant spread of the virus, and that amount should be around 5-7% of the general population (more or less, but I'm certain its not the wrong amount of people). Note that I've packed those people in the same camp for simplicity even if they're not wholly affiliated with a certain political leaning.
A "nitpick": I would have added the words "if they don't practice proper preventative/safety measures" after the word virus in the bit I quote here, as if people practice such the spread shouldn't be as much of an issue(even if some go outside/etc).

Dray2k: Of course there are huge amounts of people who can't due to work, which is why just living your regular life with the least amount of people you can be around with is the best course of action.
This/agreed

Dray2k: This snowball effect is basically unstopable once it is within its public concious.
It already is.....that's the problem.
low rated
Exceptions include to get food/medicine/supplies, get gas, etc.

Also people can still thankfully take walks/jog/run outside if they maintain enough distance from others.
Well in my State which Is Pennsylvania were in lockdown mode which means majority of business are closed with the exceptions being
Anything involving the Medical field whether it is Human or Animal they are open.
Auto Parts
Gas Stations
Grocery Stores.
etc.

In my neck of the woods people are not only hoarding Toilet paper but cleaning supplies as well such as isopropyl/isopropanol alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. It was only recently that my Local Walmart finally got stocked back up so we finally got alcohol.

I work for an ISP/TV/Phone provider but due to the high risk and low reward that I am staying home in self quarantine. I also don't feel comfortable going to work either. Not sure if working from home is in the cards for me.

Vince McMahon and other Head honchos HHH Stephanie and Shane of WWE are crazy SOBs for still having Wrestling when the risk is not even worth it. He is even attempting to have Wrestlemania without a crowd which will never work because of how the wrestlers feed off of the crowd. Plus they are risking a wrongful death lawsuit if there are any deaths from COVID19. I guess that the Owen Hart lawsuit did't teach them anything as far as wrongful death suits go. Also Vince himself if he is still traveling with other WWE staff is very high risk because of his age.

The last time that I have ever witnessed shit as serious as this was 9/11. I don't even remember SARS at all because of it effecting only 8 people in the US.

Also certain stores in my area have a limit on how much TP you can purchase.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by Fender_178
low rated
Fender_178: Plus they are risking a wrongful death lawsuit if there are any deaths from COVID19.
What if they had all participants sign waivers?
Fender_178: Plus they are risking a wrongful death lawsuit if there are any deaths from COVID19.
GameRager: What if they had all participants sign waivers?
I mean it could be possible that such a waiver exist in their contract. Anything is possible with contracts.
low rated
Fender_178: I mean it could be possible that such a waiver exist in their contract. Anything is possible with contracts.
I was asking more if they could have them sign such now(of those who were going to participate), but that too.

Also then just have all of them self isolate for 2 weeks afterwards as well, perhaps, and all should be fine(barring unusual circumstances, I guess).
low rated
Imo this one comment I read online makes some sense and is very sobering:

"Let's protect the at risk population by ensuring they are quarantined and provide them with what they need until we have a solution. Shutting down the entire country for a small percentage that are at risk does FAR more damage. How many lives will be lost once folks money runs out? How many people will give up when the store they have owned and operated gets shut down and all business is lost?"
GameRager: Imo this one comment I read online makes some sense and is very sobering:

"Let's protect the at risk population by ensuring they are quarantined and provide them with what they need until we have a solution. Shutting down the entire country for a small percentage that are at risk does FAR more damage. How many lives will be lost once folks money runs out? How many people will give up when the store they have owned and operated gets shut down and all business is lost?"
Isn't that one of the main concerns people have repeated since day one?
GameRager: A somewhat good post, but could I ask one thing of you if it's not asking too much?

If so, please try to avoid focusing(negatively OR positively) on any system(capitalism or any other system).....it doesn't really help things, and it's more people's actions that are to blame than what system they follow/like.
I tried to answer in a few lines to your request. I'm about 70 lines and half an hour typing : it's still not half how what I have to answer to be complete on your assertion that "it's more people's actions that are to blame than what system they follow/like."

So, 1st as I'm not able to refrain myself, this will be my last post on the subject (and please GameRager don't take it as personnal : YOU ARE RIGHT when you say "it doesn't really help things", at least for the present situation)

I will only write here the introduction of what I planned to send :

[i]I understand your point of view, and I confess I'm unable to do as you would like.
First and most important : I don't believe that, whatever I say, think, whatever facts I can show, will change anything in people who BELIEVE in any economic ideology. I even think - and we will soon have the proof of it - that a crisis like Covid can make the slightiest shift in the way of thinking of people that BELIEVE in free market or in capitalism. So I BELIEVE that we are in deep shit concerning climate change, which is a coming disaster 1000 times bigger than Covid may be at its worse. I feel important to say that, because to really understand me, one has to know what are my biggest concerns.[/i]

and give some links without comments of myself :

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/mathematics-inequality
https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf

As a conclusion, to everybody :
Take care of yourself and your family, a BIG love to Italy, you are showing us your bravery in a catastrophic situation, and I hope that your warnings will help us all in the world see this is so serious, and that the lives you already lost will help us save people everywhere. I'm not religious, so I won't pray for people who have lost or will lost loved ones, but I think of you with the deepest of my heart.

Franck Steel, Off
low rated
Fender_178: […] Anything is possible with contracts.
Factually incorrect. It is not possible to write a contract that contravenes common law.
GameRager: Imo this one comment I read online makes some sense and is very sobering:

You really need to stop making these comments.

Firstly, protecting the frail is not an option in a moral society.
Secondly, do some research. Off the top of my head, the governments of Australia, Britain, and the USA have already announced they will be providing aid for those industries hardest hit, like airlines, tourism, hospitality and education to start with, as well as workers and small businesses. The UK has announced helicopter payments for workers up to 80% of their wages for as long as necessary.
low rated

imo that greatly underestimates the difficulty of isolating vulnerable groups (which are huge, given how many people in Western societies are over 70, also diabetics and others with medical conditions...and Covid-19-mortality is already somewhat elevated for those over 50 btw)...how is that supposed to work if the virus spreads through the entire rest of the population?
And if most of the population gets it, this will also mean a not totally negligible number of deaths in younger age groups.
All this "let's isolate the weak, so the economy won't be hurt" is just wishful thinking imo, there are no good options now.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by morolf
low rated
DadJoke007: Isn't that one of the main concerns people have repeated since day one?
Likely so.....I just saw it and felt it said something I agree with/have been thinking about for some time now(and in a better way then I could think to express it), so I decided to post it rather than try saying it in my own words.
===================================

francksteel: So, 1st as I'm not able to refrain myself, this will be my last post on the subject (and please GameRager don't take it as personnal : YOU ARE RIGHT when you say "it doesn't really help things", at least for the present situation)
Thanks for posting a reply, and being civil about it, at the very least.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by GameRager
Did you know Coronavirus currently has a confirmed (approximately) 16,000 cases in the US? That's .000048% or roughly 1 in ever 20,000+ people (Source ). It has killed (or rather helped kill) 200 people. That is 1.25%. That is of confirmed reported cases. It is estimated that 80% of cases are unreported due to mild or no symptoms (Source ). 16,000 is 20% of 80,000 (which would be the total estimate of cases in the US, but cannot be confirmed), but if that number is remotely accurate the mortality rate is actually closer to 0.25% which is still higher than say the flu.

But the flu has infected between 38,000,000 and 54,000,000 people since October, which, at the lowest estimated rate of the flu, is approximately 2,300 times more people than Coronavirus has infected in the US and the flu has killed between 23,000 and 59,000 since October (Source). The reason for panic is because the media isn't reporting every case of the flu that pops up and isn't telling you about every person dying from flu. The precautions to avoid the flu are the EXACT SAME as the precautions to avoid COVID-19. The difference is that they can't sell you on fear if you actually look at the numbers. This is why some people are largely unconcerned about the Coronavirus, and why it is compared to the flu. This thing is not the dangerous threat they are selling it as.
Post edited March 21, 2020 by paladin181