It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
MaceyNeil: Well considering you can spread it while being asymptomatic; I hardly think it matters. If you're sick and it's covid you've already spread it to everyone you love by then so just get yourself to a doc and take the same standard precautions you should be taking with ANY cold or flu.
GameRager: I honestly think that even with everything in place(full lockdown type deals even) many more will get this.....which sucks(dunno a better word for this level of bad atm).
It's becoming just another flu; which means over the long term prevalence will go down; it will never be fully eradicated and the body count will even at maximum spread be under the world population growth rate.
I wouldn't be surprised if the economic impacts kill more people over the next half century.
Prices will go up, businesses will want to rush back in at the lowest possible fiscal liability & credit, all that risk will be pushed back onto workers which governments won't really stand behind because they'll desperately want the tax that they can only truly get from GDP.
You think covid preys on the weak and vulnerable? It targets the elderly and immune supressed.
Wait till todays failure to launch generations already pushed to the wall in debt become even more vulnerable under a powerless state in the iron grip of capitalist tweedism.
low rated
Flyingfluffypiglet: What they ARE doing is that the police is enforcing it. Hefting fines AND for those causing trouble as in insults and open defiance/refusal to adhere to directives -which of course has already happened- can be thrown in station's jails to teach them some 'manners'. Some actually given attitudes deserve a whole lot more than that, if hint here can be taken.
I agree some need to be taught the proper "lessons"(legally, I mean), but we(society) don't want/need to strain the police going after every single person as well.

Flyingfluffypiglet: I don't need to stress again what has already been pointed out: coupled with the cavalier/dismissive attitudes of the 'bah it'll die out and it's no more than the flu' we've heard including from some so-called experts, health care in Europe is near to collapse, when it has not done so already. Hence confinement decisions being made. So those thinking that directives don't apply to them for whatever reason should really think hard on that.
They should and should be mindful of others safety/health.....I just would rather they do it out of the kindness of their hearts(or not wanting to spread this to many others)...not because govts made them do it.

Flyingfluffypiglet: We are not as lucky as for example Taiwan and South Korea, where the former as already mentioned here had all contingencies in place and ready to be put in action to deal with something like this, and if the latter didn't go into confinement for they had the medical ability to deal with those infected, and had enacted nationwide testing, as well as other measure also in place.
Some countries were very on-the-ball with this.....and it's things like that that give me some amount of hope.
low rated
real.geizterfahr: The supermarket is ~1km away from my home and I've seen three police patrols on my way. On the way back I saw two guys standing at the corner of a street having a chat. The police approached them, said a few words (didn't hear anything, I just saw it from a distance) and the two guys went off in different directions immediately. You're not even allowed to say "Hi" to someone you just came across. When you're outside, you have to move.
GameRager: Hopefully this is temporary....if govts did this for many months id likely say "screw that" and go out anyways(to my yard/etc....and not to infect anyone, just to live life) even under threat of jail/etc.
Fines go from 600 Euro (~ $650) to 600.000 Euro if you really won't listen. I'm not sure about jail-time, but I think it was between 3 months and 1 year. Until now, the police is still pretty friendly, as you can see here:
https://www.facebook.com/552572878/videos/pcb.10157159362832879/10157159361462879
Post edited March 17, 2020 by real.geizterfahr
I asked my Chinese co-worker if her family was fine. She said yea things have calmed down, but life was far from normal.
It's been almost 4 months for them since the first case, I think. And even with pretty extreme isolation rules set in place, they're just now calming down.

I've read stories of many gatherings happening around the world despite, or possibly in spite of, the virus.
Like some smurf gathering in France? lol
And some college kids cause apparently YOLO.

I really hope people don't go back to their normal ways too soon after feeling ok. this shit could just start over again.

It's kinda crazy that this is happening.
low rated
real.geizterfahr: Fines go from 600 Euro (~ $650) to 600.000 Euro if you really won't listen.
Interesting to know.

Thing is, imo many likely wouldn't care about fines during all this....especially if the govts try to lock people down for more than a few months....people are social animals and don't like being essentially locked up in cages.

real.geizterfahr: I'm not sure about jail-time, but I think it was between 3 months and 1 year.
Same as with the above...and also how would they enforce it if a ton of people did such? Make new makeshift holding pens? Lock people up on a rotating basis?

I agree some amount of isolation is a very good idea, though...I just dislike it when it's under threat of govt force to such degrees for very long periods.

real.geizterfahr: Until now, the police is still pretty friendly, as you can see here:
https://www.facebook.com/552572878/videos/pcb.10157159362832879/10157159361462879
Seems so, at least in that one case(I remain optimistic that they will be like that in most cases, though).
This is good practice for the world. Hopefully we can learn from all the mistakes we have made so far. It's not impossible that one day a far more deadly virus will show up.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by Cambrey
Cambrey: This is good practice for the world. Hopefully we can learn from all the mistakes we have made so far. It's not impossible that one day a far more deadly virus will show up.
That's a scary thought considering the epic fail of governments around the world to contain just a "flu pandemic".
low rated
Wishmaster777: A daily dose of liberal, antifascist paranoia. Where are the news about other hysterical topics such as war in Syria, Greta Thunberg, the so-called "global warming", endangered women, orange man bad, "poor helpless illegal immigrants"... nothing is happening anymore, only corona exists now.
Please do keep in mind -and this is not meant in a wrong way- that this is a topic on the virus, and that political issues are not looked on too kindly on by Mods. I think it's safe to say that those of us active in this topic would rather no seeing locked issues such as those you described hijacking the topic.
I suppose it has been a while since there was anything new. I still remember getting tuberculosis six needles on my wrist, polio sugar cubes and something called a booster which meant everyone had that scar on their left ... bicep I think you call it. I also got MMR.

Does anyone remember their last tetanis shots? I know I got one when I had a wound infection / cellulitis around 2005, but you're supposed to get that renewed after 10 years.

Got chickenpox in 2001, convinced I had it before but I don't recall. In HK we have hepatitus B which is transmitted only by intimate contact. I went out of my way to get the shot and to let a certain girl know that I did. Didn't get to make use of it though.
Cambrey: This is good practice for the world. Hopefully we can learn from all the mistakes we have made so far. It's not impossible that one day a far more deadly virus will show up.
This. Same with the overuse of antibiotics (which effectively also kills the gut flora and can create more resistant bacteria) - we sometimes forget that technology (at least not yet) isn't always going to help us in the long run, and it is sometimes vital that we do get exposed to certain strains.

And we can't always run from them no matter how much we try. That's always going to be a risk (whether it's man-made or evolution). Certain viruses/bacteria can lay dormant for some time (some scientists aren't exactly positive about what lies under the ice up north).

I hope perverse thoughts like having open-area work spaces are going to be heavily reduced after this.

So yes, handling outbreaks like this is a good practice for all of us... This will happen from time to time.
My and my kids stay at home for a week now. I can work remotely and my wife switched to a remote work just from yesterday. It's quite hard I'm really tired. I would gladly go to my office but I guess it'll be ok if I'm able to do this on May.

BTW - how is the opinion in your country on virus in terms of economy? In Poland banks are introducing installments prolongation program - not only for people but also for companies. Small companies (restaurants, barbers, events organisation, people transportation etc) are cut from income and will have hard months. If school year will be prolonged for july/august - it will hurt seriously also holiday business. I expect my own company will cut my salary (I'm self employed) for at say 3 months.
low rated
richlind33: You're missing something very important: there is food, and there is food production. Without local production, under local control, we are slaves, at the mercy of people who all too frequently behave like monsters.
DadJoke007: Nothing with what I said ruled out what you just said, unless you just wanted to use it as a springboard to highlight the importance of local self-sufficiency. And with that, I absolutely agree, centralization and lack of control over production is a recipe for tyranny. Secession to the tiniest possible geographical area would be preferred, autonomy for everyone and so on.

Now you can barely produce food of any kind yourself and sell it to your neighbor without regulations getting in the way. Even worse if you want to try your luck at a local market. Not being able to trade however we wish without the government interfering makes us slaves and puts us at the mercy of our rulers.
Our "public servants" have decimated local commerce, while promoting trade and labor policies that have set the stage for deadly pandemics, which will reduce the strain on our underfunded social safety nets, so that the financial elite can continue to grow their wealth. Pandemics are like neutron bombs. And the masses think they're being "protected". How's that for irony? o.O
Post edited March 17, 2020 by richlind33
low rated
who else has trouble to get their hands on toilet paper?
Other positive things that have led us to be confined at home have been the signs of support every afternoon at eight o'clock, going out to the balcony to applaud, not only the doctors and nurses, but also the supermarket cashiers, truckers , the police, the army, etc., or the samples of solidarity between the neighbors.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by argamasa
Food rationing :-(