It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kai2: WHO has still not listed COVID-19 as a pandemic... even though it met their own definition long ago.
If you wait for the WHO you will get very little timely information.
The study:
https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463?searchresult=1
dr.schliemann: Thank you for sharing the article: it's very interesting even though it is still in an early stage. It says: «As previously noted, the data examined in this study are still very limited, and follow-up analyses of a larger set of data are needed to have a better understanding of the evolution and epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2. There is a strong need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with SARS-CoV-2.»
This is boiler plate language and expected on any research study organized and run within weeks / months of initial outbreak. But the conclusion is clear that there are indeed (at least) 2 current strains: COVID-19L and COVID-19S

The questions at this point are more... are there more strains... how often does it seem mutations appear... and where / when did the L or S variations appear?

Sadly, we are also seeing the most likely reason the WHO is not declaring a pandemic:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amiyatoshpurnanandam/2020/02/28/pandemic-bonds/#5d2481893b7e

The World Bank's $425 million in "Pandemic Bonds" mature June / July 2020. If the WHO declare a pandemic prior to June, that bond money is used toward the pandemic and investors lose their hedge investments. Not a good situation.
Post edited March 10, 2020 by kai2
low rated
kai2: The World Bank's $425 million in "Pandemic Bonds" mature June / July 2020. If the WHO declare a pandemic prior to June, that bond money is used toward the pandemic and investors lose their hedge investments. Not a good situation.
This sort of nonsense irks me to no end.....if money is given to help with pandemic aid/relief than imo it should be donated and not made as a "bet" of sorts as to whether or not such a thing will occur and be detrimental to humanity or not(hopefully my intent is clear enough....sometimes I have trouble finding the right words).
kai2: The World Bank's $425 million in "Pandemic Bonds" mature June / July 2020. If the WHO declare a pandemic prior to June, that bond money is used toward the pandemic and investors lose their hedge investments. Not a good situation.
GameRager: This sort of nonsense irks me to no end.....if money is given to help with pandemic aid/relief than imo it should be donated and not made as a "bet" of sorts as to whether or not such a thing will occur and be detrimental to humanity or not(hopefully my intent is clear enough....sometimes I have trouble finding the right words).
Yes, "Pandemic Bonds" -- or hedging against disasters via the World Bank -- was not allowed until 2017.
From article linked below:

"In 2017, the World Bank designed a new way to raise money: Pandemic Emergency Financing bonds. Over $425 million worth of such bonds, which bet against a global outbreak of infectious diseases and will default if WHO declares the coronavirus a pandemic, were sold by the World Bank in its first-ever issuance of catastrophe bonds. In the event of no pandemic, investors would be paid a healthy annualized return. Meanwhile, the World Bank could use the bonds to insure itself against the risk of a global outbreak. "

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/425m-in-world-bank-catastrophe-bonds-set-to-default-if-coronavirus-declared-a-pandemic-by-june

I'll refrain from posting more on Pandemic Bonds unless it becomes important to the current state of the virus' spread. But the disaster bond market Is important to know about (thank you ARUNDIR!). It's definitely a problem and could potentially have allowed the virus to spread without adequate warning and resources allocated early on.
Post edited March 10, 2020 by kai2
ChrisGamer300: The end of the world is coming ! the only response to this is to stock up on huge amount of food, barricade doors and windows then call in sick from work for a long time and stay inside at home for months.
Orkhepaj: That's how to ruin the economy then the civilization :P
Just go to work guys.
falloutttt: You forgot the toilet paper. Don't!!!!! Or else you'll end up using rocks and stones instead, like back in the good old days. :D
Orkhepaj: Hah toilet paper is so outdated , why need it when you can just use your hand?
KiNgBrAdLeY7: I knew where gaping open borders and playing ball with globalist elite scum, would lead all of us...
Orkhepaj: I hope if this flue gets serious at least it will end this stupid open border insanity.
exactly! and wipe your hand on the guy next to you.
Some graphs about the evolution of COVID-19 in Italy (updated 10 March).
Attachments:
deaths.png (22 Kb)
Post edited March 11, 2020 by dr.schliemann
low rated
kai2: "In 2017, the World Bank designed a new way to raise money: Pandemic Emergency Financing bonds. Over $425 million worth of such bonds, which bet against a global outbreak of infectious diseases and will default if WHO declares the coronavirus a pandemic, were sold by the World Bank in its first-ever issuance of catastrophe bonds. In the event of no pandemic, investors would be paid a healthy annualized return. Meanwhile, the World Bank could use the bonds to insure itself against the risk of a global outbreak. "
As I said, this kind of nonsense incentivizes the WHO and others to NOT declare such so investors can make a nice windfall......I still think if people donate money to such it should either pay out money after a set term, disaster or not(to make sure those in charge of such declarations don't have incentives to not declare such), or be just flat out donations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside/question to Kai2 and everyone else: Isn't 400 or so million still very low in the grand scheme of things, if one thinks about it? I mean most first world countries could likely blow through that in a short time during an outbreak/etc, couldn't they?
====================================================

dr.schliemann: Some graphs about the evolution of COVID-19 in Italy (updated 10 March).
Any numbers on re-infection rates/amounts or no?

Also thanks for all of these.
Post edited March 11, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
IDDQD - Did it work, damn it!
It seemingly took too long, but now it's official...

WHO finally labels COVID-19 a pandemic

The WHO press conference (live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvjtpgnnagE
Post edited March 11, 2020 by kai2
Wow, if you look at the infections and deaths all countries are proportional except Germany. Must be a damned good healthcare system there.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
NEWS:
World Health Organization declares COVID-19 pandemic.
kharille: Wow, if you look at the infections and deaths all countries are proportional except Germany. Must be a damned good healthcare system there.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
It could also depend on how authorities there are dealing with that kind of info: truly open or economical with the truth?

This has been very badly handled in Europe, practically no precautionary measures have been taken, just have to look at the situation in Italy now for example. There is also France, when you have massive stocks of masks and other necessities given as aid by the government to China, all very well and good except that now hospitals/pharmacies are left out in the cold as those necessities are now cruelly scarce. Don't know it it's poetic justice at work or what, but after going out of their way to say that there was nothing to worry about, 'we're ready' and blah blah blah, some members or government there are now infected.

You guys in Hong Kong could be safer than us in Europe, have a friend working/living there who's now more worried about me than he is for himself, given that he's applying the basis to keep and remain safe, and plenty of level headed people seem to do the same there.
Post edited March 11, 2020 by Flyingfluffypiglet
Flyingfluffypiglet: This has been very badly handled in Europe, practically no precautionary measures have been taken...
That's the sad reality of in this perverse optimism in technology where we have lived too convenient and padded lives, added with the mentality "nothing is going to happens us, just others", we got literally caught with our pants down.

Overpopulation combined with bad hygiene / cross-contamination and static mentality is a bad combo...

[url=Why new diseases keep appearing in China]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54[/url]
Journalist goes undercover at wet markets where the Coronavirus started
kharille: Wow, if you look at the infections and deaths all countries are proportional except Germany. Must be a damned good healthcare system there.

I guess that's mostly because we have on average way more hospiral beds than other countries (yesterday I read something like 30 beds per 100000 people, vs the US having 2 beds per 100000 people).

But, believe me, it will get worse. Sooo much worse. They have taken zero precautions so far, they will only close a place (schools, for example) down AFTER an infection is confirmed (ie. when it's too late) and the general populace has swallowed the "It's just a flu, bro!" narrative that the media continues to peddle hook line and sinker. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Germany ends up having a higher number of infections than Italy. The population doesn't give a shit and the politicians are doing zilch to contain it. PREVENTION is not in their vocabulary.
Some graphs about the evolution of COVID-19 in Italy (updated 11 March).
Attachments:
deaths.png (21 Kb)
Really appalling how this has been mishandled in Europe, whereas China seems to have brought it under control, Taiwan and Singapore didn't allow it to spread, and South Korea and Japan also seem to be doing relatively well.
I agree with fronzel, imo the situation in Germany will get really ugly.