It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

babark: Would Canabalt be available for the taking by me?
zeogold: Granted.
Thanks, and thank you Matruchus for your donation!
Hi! May I request Chivalry: Medieval Warfare if it is still available? It's one of those games I've always wanted to play but never actually got to. And now I'm fearful that it has not aged well, which makes me not rather keen on buying it instead of another game. I'm a fan of the Mount and Blades series as well.

Chivalry was free about a month ago and that was a chance I'd never miss. However, my face and mind was deeply burried within the studies and preparation of a grand physic-exam, an effort which proved beneficial. Therefore, I missed my chance to even hear of the news of that giveaway, as I decided that day to be completely free from the internet (in order to focus).

So, I hope this chance of finally grabbing the sword like a holy diver, won't elude me.
Your threads like these carries the spirit of a noble heart.
Post edited May 22, 2017 by Erikspilivink
REDVWIN: ¡Gracias, AMIGOS! (sergeant_citrus & Zeogold)

REDVWIN
Enjoy XCOM, and watch out for those *REDACTED*
Erikspilivink: Hi! May I request Chivalry: Medieval Warfare if it is still available? It's one of those games I've always wanted to play but never actually got to. And now I'm fearful that it has not aged well, which makes me not rather keen on buying it instead of another game. I'm a fan of the Mount and Blades series as well.

Chivalry was free about a month ago and that was a chance I'd never miss. However, my face and mind was deeply burried within the studies and preparation of a grand physic-exam, an effort which proved beneficial. Therefore, I missed my chance to even hear of the news of that giveaway, as I decided that day to be completely free from the internet (in order to focus).

So, I hope this chance of finally grabbing the sword like a holy diver, won't elude me.
Your threads like these carries the spirit of a noble heart.
What a friendly and detailed request - amazing. Unfortunately it seems as if the game is not on the list atm. But I hope I am wrong and zeo still has some spare key and just forgot to add it to the list. I keep my fingers corossed.
Post edited May 22, 2017 by MarkoH01
Gerin: Thank you very much zeo and heartburnron for Hoven
Your welcome Gerin. Hope you enjoy the game!

Can I have Monster Truck Destruction please Zeo? Think my boys will have fun playing that...
Post edited May 23, 2017 by heartburnron
Links: Hello zeogold: could I have Comix Zone?
Granted.
Erikspilivink: Hi! May I request Chivalry: Medieval Warfare if it is still available?
Also granted.
MarkoH01: What a friendly and detailed request - amazing. Unfortunately it seems as if the game is not on the list atm. But I hope I am wrong and zeo still has some spare key and just forgot to add it to the list. I keep my fingers corossed.
It's actually one of the available games I listed in the update, I have just unfortunately been much slower in updating the list than I should be thanks to some bad real-life setbacks (got a few tests coming up, a family member ended up in the hospital). I should presumably have everything up by the end of the week if my schedule goes as planned.
heartburnron: Can I have Monster Truck Destruction please Zeo? Think my boys will have fun playing that...
Granted as well.
Post edited May 23, 2017 by zeogold
MarkoH01: Well - at least the TV show will get an ending in this life ;)
So will the books. I mean, there's nothing to suggest Martin won't live to 120, right? RIGHT? :-S

MarkoH01: (And also: I really don't understand people who want movies/series to follow the book(s) exactly. Both medias follow different rules. What works great in a book might be awful in a movie or a series. Last but not least: Martin has written several episodes of the show so no - no fan fiction and even if it were, it is not bad at all.)
Well, there's a difference between acceptable deviations from the source material (which still should be kept to a minimum imho) and doing an in-name-only adaptation. Also, when so many elements of a book/comic book/video game/whatever prove to be so allegedly unfilmable as to warrant heavy rewrites, then why insist on filming it in the first place? There's nothing wrong with a good story not having a movie adaptation. And there's definitely nothing wrong with book/comic book/video game/whatever fans not being ripped off with an adaptation that throws key elements out of the window.

Again, I can't give an objective estimation on how guilty of this A Game of Thrones is, since I haven't watched a single episode of it, but going only by internet spoilers (which is another debate entirely), I can tell there's been some utterly crazy stuff going on (looking at you, season 5). Pretty sure Martin didn't write those episodes.

But yeah, to each their own and whatnot, I was just putting my original question in context.
zeogold: A Game of Thrones - Genesis
Chandoraa: Did Martin have anything to do with the writing, or is it just bad fan fiction?
Bad fan fiction. Much like Dune 2. :P

Serioustly though. While GoT: Genesis looks like a very bad game (I haven't played it, just judging by reviews), that doesn't mean that how good is the game is measured on how close it to the book or movie it's based on. There are great games that use only basic premise (like aforementioned Dune series or 90-s colsole platformers based on Disney shows) and mediocre games, that use a lot of content from movies they are based on.
I wish to thank Zeo and Sergeant_citrus for your kind generosity, downloading the game right now and I believe you have made my week filled with the enjoyment of a nice new game :)
Post edited May 23, 2017 by Erikspilivink
Chandoraa: Well, there's a difference between acceptable deviations from the source material (which still should be kept to a minimum imho) and doing an in-name-only adaptation. Also, when so many elements of a book/comic book/video game/whatever prove to be so allegedly unfilmable as to warrant heavy rewrites, then why insist on filming it in the first place? There's nothing wrong with a good story not having a movie adaptation. And there's definitely nothing wrong with book/comic book/video game/whatever fans not being ripped off with an adaptation that throws key elements out of the window.

Again, I can't give an objective estimation on how guilty of this A Game of Thrones is, since I haven't watched a single episode of it, but going only by internet spoilers (which is another debate entirely), I can tell there's been some utterly crazy stuff going on (looking at you, season 5). Pretty sure Martin didn't write those episodes.

But yeah, to each their own and whatnot, I was just putting my original question in context.
Why do they make such movies and shows in the first place? The obvious reason would be money - but don't forget the benefit. There are several people who weren't aware of the books and who are now reading those because of the show. Also sometimes a series/movie can add something new only this medium is able to do. Something which gives the original material a new addition. Not the same as the original, different but great in its own way.

And I say it again: the show is NOT bad. I have seen so many series in my life and this a high quality product. One may have different opinions on the content but just the production value is awesome for a simple TV series - it looks much like a movie imo. You should really not just disregard a show just because it's different from a book - you will miss many good films and shows this way...even PC games often differ a lot from the original and today they are classics (think of Blade Runner i.e.). If you don't like something - all right but I would never condemn something which I have never experienced myself.

But just that you don't misunderstand me: of course I do respect your opinion and if you want to dislike it - go ahead. I am not hired by HBO or Warner or any other person who makes money with the show. So I don't need to care at all. :)

MarkoH01: What a friendly and detailed request - amazing. Unfortunately it seems as if the game is not on the list atm. But I hope I am wrong and zeo still has some spare key and just forgot to add it to the list. I keep my fingers corossed.
zeogold: It's actually one of the available games I listed in the update, I have just unfortunately been much slower in updating the list than I should be thanks to some bad real-life setbacks (got a few tests coming up, a family member ended up in the hospital). I should presumably have everything up by the end of the week if my schedule goes as planned.
Wow - finger crossing seems to help. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed so that your family member will get better soon.
Post edited May 23, 2017 by MarkoH01
Links: Hello zeogold: could I have Comix Zone?
zeogold: Granted.
Appreciate it, I hope to have something soon to add to the list.
LootHunter: Serioustly though. While GoT: Genesis looks like a very bad game (I haven't played it, just judging by reviews), that doesn't mean that how good is the game is measured on how close it to the book or movie it's based on. There are great games that use only basic premise (like aforementioned Dune series or 90-s colsole platformers based on Disney shows) and mediocre games, that use a lot of content from movies they are based on.
Yeah, I had already considered that. I don't equate game quality with faithfulness to its source material, it's just that I thought perhaps this game might be redeemed if the writing was good, since the gameplay has been almost universally panned. But meh, I think I'm going to pass anyway. My backlog is already big enough, I don't need to take a leap of faith with this game.

MarkoH01: Why do they make such movies and shows in the first place? The obvious reason would be money - but don't forget the benefit. There are several people who weren't aware of the books and who are now reading those because of the show. Also sometimes a series/movie can add something new only this medium is able to do. Something which gives the original material a new addition. Not the same as the original, different but great in its own way.
Yeah, I don't believe in forcing a story to people, specially through an adaptation that's inferior to the source material. If someone is "meant" to enjoy a story, they'll learn about it sooner or later. If not, hell a human's lifespan is not nearly long enough to enjoy every good story ever. Missing something because there wasn't some form of it on mass media is kind of an example of natural selection.

MarkoH01: And I say it again: the show is NOT bad. I have seen so many series in my life and this a high quality product. One may have different opinions on the content but just the production value is awesome for a simple TV series - it looks much like a movie imo.
I won't argue with you there, the production values for that show do look top notch.

MarkoH01: You should really not just disregard a show just because it's different from a book - you will miss many good films and shows this way...even PC games often differ a lot from the original and today they are classics (think of Blade Runner i.e.). If you don't like something - all right but I would never condemn something which I have never experienced myself.
I think information is key here. It should be stated beforehand just how faithful to the source material you intend to be. Whether you're going to try and tell the same story in the same way, you're just taking the characters and telling a story loosely based in the original, or you're reimagining it IN SPACE!!! That would at least give geeks an idea of how worthy of their attention the "new" version is. That is unthinkable, of course, because heavens forbid geeks are allowed to keep their money in their pockets these days. Also, that is not how a geek's brain works. Geeks feel an instinctive drive to watch/read/play/whatever anything bearing the name of something they enjoyed previously. Up to the point it clearly stops being worth it, which is often way before the last sequel/reboot/spin-off/whatever is thrown into the world. So what this geeksploitation is depriving us of is the privilege of remembering something fondly. Sure, we'll love the first incarnation, but as long as we love it enough, someone will make a handful more products based on it, so in the end our fond memories of the original will be tainted by the bitterness its follow-ups brought us. But that, again, is an entirely different debate.

You did pick quite a bad example to support your point, though. Blade Runner the movie never really intended to be a direct translation of the book, to the point of bearing a name that had nothing to do with the book to begin with. It is the superior product of the three in my opinion, it's visually stunning and way ahead of its time in terms of cinematography, but it's not without flaws. The book is deeper and gives quite more food for thought, though. The game does a great job of amalgamating both the movie and the book, although it falls short in the storytelling department due to being so open-ended.

MarkoH01: But just that you don't misunderstand me: of course I do respect your opinion and if you want to dislike it - go ahead. I am not hired by HBO or Warner or any other person who makes money with the show. So I don't need to care at all. :)
As do I respect yours, of course. This has been an interesting debate so far, and it proves one of my points that not all geeks are created equal, nor do they perceive fandom in the same way. Of which I am very much aware, hence my original question.

(Thread derailing? Whaddaya mean thread derailing? We're not even on a train here, you silly voice in my head? Nor are we sewing!)
Post edited May 24, 2017 by Chandoraa
May I request Postal 2? It looks interesting...
TheNerdyPlane: May I request Postal 2? It looks interesting...
Oh it is! :P trust me
May I request Limbo?