It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: Am I correct in my hypothesis that solder has a lower melting point than the metals the electronics are otherwise made of? (I notice that I never melt anything other than the soldier while assemblng the cheap soldering practice kit I used.)
Yes, correct, though you can burn the foil runs if you leave the heat on for too long.

Edit: Er, got ninja'd.
Post edited September 27, 2015 by HereForTheBeer
Who cut the butter into unspreadable cubes and then put them in the fridge?

It's like trying to mash dice into my toast.
low rated
grimwerk: Who cut the butter into unspreadable cubes and then put them in the fridge?

It's like trying to mash dice into my toast.
It was nes,he he he.
Tauto: ...
Such wickedness. I wonder if I can buy butter in sheets?
Translating English terms that do not have a direct Italian equivalent is such a pain in the ass sometimes... I'd never thought a language could need so many fancy variants of "hitting people with a blade" and "armor".
Niggles: rarely any health problems. Then last two nights sleepless. Last night worst - have suddenly a sore back from nowhere. Struggle walking getting out of bed. :/
monkeydelarge: Maybe you need a new mattress? A bad mattress can cause back pain and make it hard to sleep. A mattress should be firm but not too firm.
Sleep suspended upside down like the Batman. Does wonders for your back muscles. Makes you strong so you can do a better job fighting crime.
Niggles: rarely any health problems. Then last two nights sleepless. Last night worst - have suddenly a sore back from nowhere. Struggle walking getting out of bed. :/
monkeydelarge: Maybe you need a new mattress? A bad mattress can cause back pain and make it hard to sleep. A mattress should be firm but not too firm.
Used to sleep on a proper futon for 3-4 years. Last 12 months in a rather firm spring one. Was ok ,Twas only got back from phils where mattresses are rather too firm. maybe im just getting old and body starting to give up lol
Emob78: Sleep suspended upside down like the Batman. Does wonders for your back muscles. Makes you strong so you can do a better job fighting crime.
If I remember correctly, Bruce Wayne sleeps in a bed.
Emob78: Sleep suspended upside down like the Batman. Does wonders for your back muscles. Makes you strong so you can do a better job fighting crime.
monkeydelarge: If I remember correctly, Bruce Wayne sleeps in a bed.
Yes, but it's the Bat-Bed!
Hmm, lets see. Totally broke, no job, about to get kicked out of my house.

But at least I'm still good lookin' ^^ Who is that handsome devil in the mirror.

:Flips finger at world: Your gunna have to try harder than that f**kers.

Oh wait, I think I can make an emoticon of that;

nIm
Post edited September 30, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
On my main PC (ASUS G75VW laptop), the right-side fan has started making some irritating extra noises when it spins up, resonating somewhat. Sigh, I guess I need to replace it, before it breaks down... I already opened it enough to clean the fans from dust with compressed air, but that didn't affect the sound. I am unsure though if the fan is really breaking up or just become a bit loose (hence resonating), but whatever, I guess I will replace it.

I've already checked online, genuine CPU and GPU fans for ASUS G75VW costs around 25€ a piece, I'd probably change both fans at the same time, so that's around 50€ + postage.

While G75VW isn't the hardest laptop to open up, it still seems you have to take out like 20 or so screws. I'm just afraid I will forget which screw goes where, even if most of them are marked. Anyway, I guess after I've done it once, it feels easy. Too bad though the fans can't be replaced from the bottom even if they are visible there, but you need to remove the keyboard panel first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA

Or then I'll just bring it to some repair shop and they'll replace them, but I don't feel like paying extra for something I should be able to do myself. Heck, I change my winter tyres myself as well!
Post edited October 01, 2015 by timppu
Java reflection is terrible. Fuck it, I'm doing a workaround.
timppu: On my main PC (ASUS G75VW laptop), the right-side fan has started making some irritating extra noises when it spins up, resonating somewhat. Sigh, I guess I need to replace it, before it breaks down... I already opened it enough to clean the fans from dust with compressed air, but that didn't affect the sound. I am unsure though if the fan is really breaking up or just become a bit loose (hence resonating), but whatever, I guess I will replace it.

I've already checked online, genuine CPU and GPU fans for ASUS G75VW costs around 25€ a piece, I'd probably change both fans at the same time, so that's around 50€ + postage.

While G75VW isn't the hardest laptop to open up, it still seems you have to take out like 20 or so screws. I'm just afraid I will forget which screw goes where, even if most of them are marked. Anyway, I guess after I've done it once, it feels easy. Too bad though the fans can't be replaced from the bottom even if they are visible there, but you need to remove the keyboard panel first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA

Or then I'll just bring it to some repair shop and they'll replace them, but I don't feel like paying extra for something I should be able to do myself. Heck, I change my winter tyres myself as well!
Does it need to have Genuine fans? That seems like a lot of money for a simple piece like that. Had a similar thing on our satellite receiver - it was unique, in that the plastic frame was shaped oddly. They wanted $30 for it. So I bought a regular fan, used a Dremel tool to cut two corners at an angle so it would fit in the bracket, and saved $25.

To track the different screws, an egg carton will do the trick nicely. If you've never had a laptop apart before, it's not that difficult. There will most likely be a couple snap-in pieces so be careful not to break the tabs on those. Other than that, not bad at all. Kinda cool digging around in there, to see how they shoved a desktop inside that small package.

Good luck with it.
Life in general sucks.
Can't really argue with that.

It does have a few redeeming features though, like star trek and videogames.

I would like to take this time to quote Rocky Balboa;

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep going."

That is all.