It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

monkeydelarge: I just saw a pic of your joystick.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m16_YxsBJsw/SwQb-ttRm6I/AAAAAAAAMNo/nlCRUzk7Fcg/s200/tinyAtariJoystick.jpg
Hope you know I'm just kidding. :P
That was just evil... and just as I was beginning to trust you.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m16_YxsBJsw/SwQb-ttRm6I/AAAAAAAAMNo/nlCRUzk7Fcg/s200/tinyAtariJoystick.jpg
F4LL0UT: That was just evil... and just as I was beginning to trust you.
Well let's not be so hasty here. That could be Andre the Giant holding that stick.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I'm sure your joystick is something like this.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/joystick_2.jpg
monkeydelarge: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I'm sure your joystick is something like this.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/joystick_2.jpg
could we please stop talking about Fallouts joystick?
OOOPS
Post edited June 08, 2014 by tinyE
monkeydelarge: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I'm sure your joystick is something like this.
That looks like an attempt to make gaming a social activity, since it would take at least three people to work that thing with any sort of effectiveness.

------

Incoming wall-o'-text bitch.

I was contacted by a used-machine dealer back around January, inquiring about moving a machine for a client who was looking to buy a used model. Sure, no sweat - just let me know where and when. I can train the new operators, too, plus do repairs.

The dealer got back with me about four weeks ago, saying they were finally ready to to the job. However, the previous owner was going to tear it down, move it, and set it up for them, and I was simply going to do the final tweaks and then train the guys. "Umm, it takes expertise to install one of these things. At least half the time that I come in after-the-fact, I end up undoing most of the incorrect installation so I can fix what was done improperly." The dealer said, "The previous owner has moved it a few times and says he knows what he's doing."

So they narrow it down to the week after Memorial Day, a short week due to the Monday holiday. "What days can you come in?" I'm open all week but would prefer to get there Tuesday or Wednesday so we have room on the back end in case things go wrong. I'm booked up for at least the following two weeks afterward and if there are any hiccups... "I'll talk to the customer to figure out the schedule." Sounds good, let me know.

"They want to have you come in Thursday so they have time to clean it up and paint it first." Really?

I get there, the machine is pretty clean, with a fresh coat of paint that it didn't need. Start off by checking the safeties and then explaining them to the operator. We then go to make our initial movements on the machine. Collision within 10 seconds. I investigate. Sure enough, the whole back end is built wrong. Wonderful. We spent the next thirteen hours over Thursday and Friday realigning the machine, and then have a whopping 5 hours for training and operational testing. GM is worried that his guy didn't get enough training and that we didn't do much testing. Gee, I bet you wish someone had suggested that I come in earlier in the week.

Oh, wait - I did suggest exactly that but a coat of paint was more important.

I get the guy sorta trained Friday afternoon and the GM comes over to tell me about the parts they'll be making on the machine. Says the material is really expensive (it's REALLY expensive) and he explains the tolerances they need to meet. The big piece has a tolerance within the machine specs; the tolerance for the little piece is below the machine specs. I tell him that there are no guarantees that it can hold that range. "It was doing it at the other shop before it was moved." Great, so they have this expectation, after machining a couple pieces of raw material, that it will be that tight every time.

Operator called me Friday, saying they were going to start production this coming Friday, but that the machine wasn't holding to their small-piece tolerance on some of the test runs. Yeah? They need +/- 0.005" (0.125mm) and the machine is rated for +/- 0.008" (0.2mm). "We need it to hit that range." He rattles off the sizes they're getting and the numbers are within the machine spec but outside their own spec. It's not made for that range in the first place, never mind the fact that the machine is 20 years old and has been set-up three times by someone who has no clue what he's doing.

So I'm predicting that this crap is going to fall on me, simply because they managed to hit their tolerance on a few sample pieces at the other shop. Wonderful. Oughta be fun explaining, again, that it's operating within the original design tolerance - no thanks to the guys who moved it and set it up 80% wrong - and that they don't get to pick their own arbitrary specs for the machine. The GM will be hitting panic-mode by Friday if I can't make it there by then (not likely, as I'll be 700 miles away this Thursday afternoon) and manage, somehow, to make it work better than the factory built it 20 years ago (REALLY not likely).
tinyE: OOOPS
OMG! What are you hiding!?
Soccorro: could we please stop talking about Fallouts joystick?
I also have a flight stick, maybe you feel more comfortable talking about that one.
tinyE: OOOPS
Soccorro: OMG! What are you hiding!?
Yeah, I need to know as well. I bet he made some remark that doesn't make any sense because you don't play Fallout with a joystick!
Exactly! Just like the one in the bottom left corner!
Post edited June 09, 2014 by F4LL0UT
Soccorro: could we please stop talking about Fallouts joystick?
F4LL0UT: I also have a flight stick, maybe you feel more comfortable talking about that one.
Soccorro: OMG! What are you hiding!?
F4LL0UT: Yeah, I need to know as well. I bet he made some remark that doesn't make any sense because you don't play Fallout with a joystick!
F4LL0UT: Exactly! Just like the one in the bottom left corner!
I was going to mention a mosquito bite but before I typed anything I accidentally clicked on the 'post my message'.
Happy now? :P
F4LL0UT: I also have a flight stick, maybe you feel more comfortable talking about that one.

Yeah, I need to know as well. I bet he made some remark that doesn't make any sense because you don't play Fallout with a joystick!

Exactly! Just like the one in the bottom left corner!
tinyE: I was going to mention a mosquito bite but before I typed anything I accidentally clicked on the 'post my message'.
Happy now? :P
LIAR! I bet you wrote something incredibly insulting as an answer to my previous comment. oh my god... I'm going to beat you up for that!
Yeah Soccorro, you figured me out. XD All the rude offensive shit I post with nary a shred of regret or remorse and NOW I'm trying to cover up a tasteless post. :P
The troll is at it again
Niggles: The troll is at it again
troll?
HereForTheBeer:
Oh man, that sucks. Don't you just love it when people can't be bothered with the whole "reality" thing? Don't trouble me with facts, sir, I want "new" performance at the "old and outdated" price point, post haste!
@HereForTheBeer

So what happened ???? I want to hear the end of the story.
And then lets get the rope.....:(