It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AdamR: Nope. I live in a spot where five desserts meet each other.
tinyE: You live here?
I fucking knew it!
+1 for doing exactly what I knew you were going to do.
tinyE: You live here?
AdamR: I fucking knew it!
+1 for doing exactly what I knew you were going to do.
Thank you for having a sense of humor about it. On subject it seems you live on Tatooine and I live on Hoth....so similar yet so different.
monkeydelarge: Do you live on an island?
AdamR: Nope. I live in a spot where five deserts meet each other.
We have a hospital, plenty of doctors, and like 80 freaking dentists - but no mental healthcare.
The region used to have a few psychiatrists, but a few years ago they all moved, retired, or died. Now the closest one is literally 190 miles away.
If you see Jabba The Hut, tell him, he will have his money soon.
My grandma might become blind :(
Soccorro: My grandma might become blind :(
Sorry to hear that. Mine is also blind - in my grandma's case it's a good thing, though, because it keeps her from acting out all the insane ideas her schizophrenia gives her... uhm, what I actually meant to say: even if she went blind, it's not the end of the world. My grandma learned to take care of herself despite being a nutjob. Also evil. Incredibly evil. Of course it takes a lot of support from the family but presuming that your family actually likes your grandmother everything's gonna be fine.

Also, what's the issue anyway? A cataract ("Grauer Star")? If so, that stuff is very treatable via medication and surgery.

Edit: Oh yeah, what I actually came to this thread for (but totally forgot about because a loved one going blind is infinitely worse): after someone's recent attempt to reset my Steam password today I discovered that I had lost access to my Origin account - client wasn't able to log in anymore, password wasn't recognized, password recovery didn't work. Support first wasn't able to help me, for a second it even seemed that they had messed up and made things even worse and told me to call the hotline - an hour after the chat I got access again, though, using my same old password that had been refused dozens of times for several hours. I don't know whether the support guy fixed the issue after our chat, maybe it was just some weird server issue (which oddly enough only affected this one account - other accounts worked and support was also able to make the system send me an email to my correct address which didn't help me regain access, though), but still I'm freaking out with all the scamming and phishing going on lately...
Post edited February 03, 2014 by F4LL0UT
I'm sorry to hear about that. My grandma, who's 83, also suffers from severe macular degeneration, has cataracts in both eyes and had a tumour behind one. She's had various operations - mostly unsuccessful - but she takes it in her stride and keeps making jokes about it, bless her.
jamyskis: I'm sorry to hear about that. My grandma, who's 83, also suffers from severe macular degeneration, has cataracts in both eyes and had a tumour behind one. She's had various operations - mostly unsuccessful - but she takes it in her stride and keeps making jokes about it, bless her.
Gotta love people with that kind of spirit.
F4LL0UT: Sorry to hear that. Mine is also blind - in my grandma's case it's a good thing, though, because it keeps her from acting out all the insane ideas her schizophrenia gives her... uhm, what I actually meant to say: even if she went blind, it's not the end of the world. My grandma learned to take care of herself despite being a nutjob. Also evil. Incredibly evil. Of course it takes a lot of support from the family but presuming that your family actually likes your grandmother everything's gonna be fine.

Also, what's the issue anyway? A cataract ("Grauer Star")? If so, that stuff is very treatable via medication and surgery.

Edit: Oh yeah, what I actually came to this thread for (but totally forgot about because a loved one going blind is infinitely worse): after someone's recent attempt to reset my Steam password today I discovered that I had lost access to my Origin account - client wasn't able to log in anymore, password wasn't recognized, password recovery didn't work. Support first wasn't able to help me, for a second it even seemed that they had messed up and made things even worse and told me to call the hotline - an hour after the chat I got access again, though, using my same old password that had been refused dozens of times for several hours. I don't know whether the support guy fixed the issue after our chat, maybe it was just some weird server issue (which oddly enough only affected this one account - other accounts worked and support was also able to make the system send me an email to my correct address which didn't help me regain access, though), but still I'm freaking out with all the scamming and phishing going on lately...
shes still in her sixties. and cannot speak german. her husband died long ago and 2 of her 3 sons don't want to talk to her anymore, which has incredibly stupid reasons such as her being a liability or simply boring. Shes afraid of the surgery and doesn't want to become blind.
Soccorro: shes still in her sixties. and cannot speak german. her husband died long ago and 2 of her 3 sons don't want to talk to her anymore, which has incredibly stupid reasons such as her being a liability or simply boring. Shes afraid of the surgery and doesn't want to become blind.
Oh my... that's one sad story. :(

I hope she'll find the courage to do the surgery. My GF already had surgery on her eyes because of a cataract when she was a child and a few additional ones in her teens, her dad recently (just a few days ago) also had the same kind of surgery, he's in his late fifties now. Both of them don't consider that kind of surgery that bad in retrospect. It's just natural that people freak out when they think of having surgery on their eyes (my GF's dad certainly did at first) but clearly it's not that bad. Also my GF's dad is gonna have more surgery in a few weeks and after the previous surgery he's perfectly calm thinking about it. Hope you guys will be able to calm her down.
monkeydelarge: Do you live on an island?
AdamR: Nope. I live in a spot where five deserts meet each other.
We have a hospital, plenty of doctors, and like 80 freaking dentists - but no mental healthcare.
The region used to have a few psychiatrists, but a few years ago they all moved, retired, or died. Now the closest one is literally 190 miles away.
Ouch, that really sucks. That's a really really big distance, if people with mental illnesses are similar in the States, it's really hard to overcome, with lack of money, not owing a car, lack of energy and fear of travel. Holland isn't even that big, measured north to south.
monkeydelarge: If you see Jabba The Hut, tell him, he will have his money soon.
:D Thanks for that. Made me smile.
Does anyone else feel like half his life is over? I mean I'm 21 and still trying to get into university. And when im finished (I hope it'll go fine) then i might be around 30. I have waited for nearly 2 years straight now and it feels like i'm wasting my time.
Soccorro: Does anyone else feel like half his life is over?
At 21 you are feeling that way? You still have a lot more fun years coming your way. Try 40...on surveys I am now in the 40-59 category. I guess I need to start going to play Bingo and get one of those rascal scooters.
Soccorro: Does anyone else feel like half his life is over?
jjsimp: At 21 you are feeling that way? You still have a lot more fun years coming your way. Try 40...on surveys I am now in the 40-59 category. I guess I need to start going to play Bingo and get one of those rascal scooters.
I just turned 38 a few days ago and I'm hurting big time in that regard. It's not so much that I've lived half my life it's that I've waisted have of it. I literally haven't accomplished anything which is both depressing and kind of funny; you'd think in 38 years one would accidentally do something.
tinyE: I just turned 38 a few days ago and I'm hurting big time in that regard. It's not so much that I've lived half my life it's that I've waisted have of it. I literally haven't accomplished anything which is both depressing and kind of funny; you'd think in 38 years one would accidentally do something.
You accidentaly made a bunch of us cover our monitors in saliva and bits of food, so that's a thing you did.