It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Talk to a manager and request to be moved elsewhere? Not sure there's much else you can do except to listen to music while you work.
Jekadu: So, after a month of working in the preparation area of a thrift store, I've concluded that the senior co-worker at the table I work at is a jerk. His only way of voicing negative criticism is to chew me out about it, something that leaves me in a poor mood for the rest of the day and negatively impacts my productivity. Aside from taking the job very seriously, he is often cranky from joint pains, and today he decided to cancel his sick leave and show up at work before lunch, putting him in an even worse mood. The guy is more than twice my age, and, as he's a bit of a workaholic and works full time, is unofficially in charge at the table. He's got little patience for mistakes, and often expects me to know exactly how he wants me to do something.

How do you guys deal with co-workers that have essentially no leadership skills?
Offer to make him a drink and Slip 2 Rohypnol in his drinks! AGH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Post edited November 14, 2013 by fr33kSh0w2012
Jekadu: So, after a month of working in the preparation area of a thrift store, I've concluded that the senior co-worker at the table I work at is a jerk. His only way of voicing negative criticism is to chew me out about it, something that leaves me in a poor mood for the rest of the day and negatively impacts my productivity. Aside from taking the job very seriously, he is often cranky from joint pains, and today he decided to cancel his sick leave and show up at work before lunch, putting him in an even worse mood. The guy is more than twice my age, and, as he's a bit of a workaholic and works full time, is unofficially in charge at the table. He's got little patience for mistakes, and often expects me to know exactly how he wants me to do something.

How do you guys deal with co-workers that have essentially no leadership skills?
how old are you then?
xyem: To the white-van driver who decided to tailgate me so close I couldn't even see your headlights in my rearview mirror and thus had headlights shining into my side mirrors so I couldn't see if it was safe for me to switch lanes to let you pass and then decided to flash their lights at me as I gently slowed down, from the 70mph I was doing, because you were creating a dangerous situation, undertake me and then flash their hazards at me when you got in front:

Please wrap yourself (and only yourself) around a tree before you hurt someone else.
gbaz69: +1 glad you are safe.

I've had people driving on other side of road, come into my lane comming head at me, SEVERAL TIMES.
That was really bad, specially the one time that happened to me on a bidge! No way I could avoid them.

I love how cops put dozens, if not hundreds of lives in danger during chases, just putting that out there.
I had a 4wheel driver come blaring out of a crested T intersection where i had right of way, while the roads were wet.
Luckily i was paying attention to the road and swerved into the oncoming lane to avoid an accident and luckily said lane was empty.
It was just out of school zone time. Would of been good if it was a family coming up the road having an argument. That'd be at least one count of manslaughter/reckless driving occasioning death thanks mate and one less dickhead in my home town.
nijuu: GOG letting sale of Jack Keane 2 clog up the promo sale for hours. LOL
and now Eador... i went out and mde myself lunch ... came back... still going.

Plant drugs on them. slip minute amounts into their stuff daily so they fail drug screenings. pay a hooker to make up a faux harassment claim, and i suppose you could write it out as a formal complaint to that persons superior as it's managements job to make sure all the worker bees can be productive and feel like coming back day after day. After all if you didn't they'd have to suddenly find replacements and go into costly measures to recruit someone new.

Just explain the situation in a calm manner remembering the core rule that the problem is the problem, not the person (even if it is the person and they should go die in a house fire).
Post edited November 14, 2013 by MaceyNeil
Jekadu: How do you guys deal with co-workers that have essentially no leadership skills?
Well, if he is your co-worker and not your supervisor, either take it up with your supervisor, ignore the man, or yell back. Cranky old guys will be cranky no matter what option you choose. Ask other employees how they deal with the old bastard. Whatever you do don't show up for work late, those old bastards wake up before a rooster crows and hate when fellow employees are late no matter how good the excuse.
If he is your supervisor then you are in for a wonderful job. Suck it up and learn to do things his way or find another job.

Make him FEAR you...so he will think, if he chews you out again, he will be sleeping with the fishes...
Post edited November 15, 2013 by monkeydelarge
Jekadu: How do you guys deal with co-workers that have essentially no leadership skills?
monkeydelarge: Make him FEAR you...so he will think, if he chews you out again, he will be sleeping with the fishes...
Be sure to leave time in your day's work schedule for a meeting with the folks in HR. ; )

You could always try chemical warfare: eat lots of broccoli and beans.
monkeydelarge: Make him FEAR you...so he will think, if he chews you out again, he will be sleeping with the fishes...
HereForTheBeer: Be sure to leave time in your day's work schedule for a meeting with the folks in HR. ; )

You could always try chemical warfare: eat lots of broccoli and beans.
Maybe he could do what the guy in Fight Club did?
My Macbook Pro just went down last night. The hard drive went down like 6 months back and I finally finished getting everything back up and running like it was before just a few weeks back. Not to mention I just spent 100 bucks on a new battery. Its an older model and I have put god knows how many hours on it so I knew I was going to have to buy a new one sooner or later, but having it go down just a few weeks after I got everything back up and running is just a big kick in the teeth. Absolutely infuriating. There goes my Black Friday money. I guess I cant complain. I have been using Mac's since the Macintosh was released back in 1984 and this is the first Apple computer I have ever owned that broke down. Not a single repair, except replacing hard drives, in almost 30 years of computing. Still sucks big time!!!
Post edited November 15, 2013 by RighteousNixon
OK, I am still pissed about my computer, but things just went from terrible to amazing! My wife told me I should link my American Express Rewards account with my Amazon account and use my points to buy a new computer. I didn't even know you could link your American Express Rewards account with Amazon. When did that option become available?Whats even more amazing is it only took about 30 seconds to link the 2 accounts. All I had to do was enter the billing zip code and the 4 digital security number and they were linked. Anyways, I wound up having a lot more points than I thought I did. I thought I had around 175-200k and I had almost 3 times that amount. I guess it pays to use my card for all of my business expenses. It wound up being just over $4100 in cash value. Needless to say, I purchased the new 2.3 Ghz Macbook Pro with a 3 year warranty and I still have $1200 left. As much as I would have liked to avoid the whole situation and have my original laptop still functioning, I guess I really cant complain. I had a new computer ordered in under 12 hours and my Black Friday funds are intact. All in all, not much to bitch about really.
Whenever I go a few weeks without shaving and then finally do shave it looks like my chin has fallen off.
tinyE: Whenever I go a few weeks without shaving and then finally do shave it looks like my chin has fallen off.
Then I suggest to keep only shaving your face.
tinyE: Whenever I go a few weeks without shaving and then finally do shave it looks like my chin has fallen off.
Telika: Then I suggest to keep only shaving your face.
Gotta shave the chin; I don't want to look Amish.
Unfortunately, we aren't all blessed with strong chins. :(
RighteousNixon: OK, I am still pissed about my computer, but things just went from terrible to amazing! My wife told me I should link my American Express Rewards account with my Amazon account and use my points to buy a new computer. I didn't even know you could link your American Express Rewards account with Amazon. When did that option become available?Whats even more amazing is it only took about 30 seconds to link the 2 accounts. All I had to do was enter the billing zip code and the 4 digital security number and they were linked. Anyways, I wound up having a lot more points than I thought I did. I thought I had around 175-200k and I had almost 3 times that amount. I guess it pays to use my card for all of my business expenses. It wound up being just over $4100 in cash value. Needless to say, I purchased the new 2.3 Ghz Macbook Pro with a 3 year warranty and I still have $1200 left. As much as I would have liked to avoid the whole situation and have my original laptop still functioning, I guess I really cant complain. I had a new computer ordered in under 12 hours and my Black Friday funds are intact. All in all, not much to bitch about really.
You are very lucky to have such an intelligent wife. :)
Post edited November 16, 2013 by monkeydelarge
You know that feeling when you are searching your hard drive for a pdf article that you know you have even already read but that you can't find anywhere ? Well HWRWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH