It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: OT how is airline travel in Finland?
Talking about Finnair international flights:

- Extra small seats in economy class. I've seen smaller only in Air Canada or something like that.

- Food or luggage doesn't cost extra. Food is bad, but you have some options (vege/kosher/whatever), and you even get one beer or one glass of wine without extra charge.

- Being able to select your seat in economy class nowadays costs extra. Earlier it was free, at least when you ordered the ticked online.

- Even the economy class feels semi-modern. You have these small screens with every seat where you can watch pretty new movies that are probably not even on DVD yet. Those multimedia units have even some games, but they are pretty bad. I mean, a generic Snake variant was probably the most advanced game in there. Even old Nokia phones had better games.

- Air hostesses are nice, but old. Don't even think of slapping them on the butt or making sexual remarks, they'll hit you with a tray to head if you do. Especially the male air hostesses.

- I don't think Finnair has crash-landed even once, and no other fatalities either, unless someone got a heart attack during a flight. So purely from a statistical point of view, they are a secure carrier. I recall there might have been a case some Finnish drunkard claiming he has a bomb, but he was probably referring to his bottle of Koskenkorva.
Post edited July 19, 2013 by timppu
i suffer from fear of flying. the kind where you're panisking that you might panick and start behaving completely bonkers and Thus be a risk for everyone. so i was hugely relieved when i learned the personnel simply put you in strips (i was gonna say they simply strip you but i guess that has different connections). i've thought about maybe bringing my own strips and asking them to strip me up just to be on the safe side. but maybe they would think that i was just into weird sex...
Anyone know how to keep flies off their monitor? They keep dropping their little fly vomits all over it.
tinyE: Anyone know how to keep flies off their monitor? They keep dropping their little fly vomits all over it.
Yes. Buy some citronella candles and light them near your monitor. Then flies won't bother you monitor anymore because they will keep away from the candles. They hate the smell those candles make.
Post edited July 19, 2013 by langurmonkey
Sent a text message by mistake to a girl I'm interested in. Said message was about her and my... feelings towards her.

Spent an entire afternoon taking the cat out of the bag. It's out, now.

Girl says everything's just fine, she doesn't feel the same way about me, but that's no reason for things to get awkward between us, from now on.

Things will most surely get awkward.
Post edited July 19, 2013 by groze
I hate it when you ask a girl out and they say yes, but then never actually get around to going out with you- always an excuse... just say no so I don't waste my time with you.
FireMyth: I hate it when you ask a girl out and they say yes, but then never actually get around to going out with you- always an excuse... just say no so I don't waste my time with you.
At least you've worked up the courage to ask a girl out. Is it messed up that I've never even kissed a girl yet?
FireMyth: I hate it when you ask a girl out and they say yes, but then never actually get around to going out with you- always an excuse... just say no so I don't waste my time with you.
What a bitch. Just move on to the next.
sauvignon1: At least you've worked up the courage to ask a girl out. Is it messed up that I've never even kissed a girl yet?
No, it is not messed up. Your time will come.
Post edited July 20, 2013 by langurmonkey
They switched off my augmentations and activated my kill-switch.

That's what it feels like, anyways. I have had this fucking headache *literally* every single fucking day since May of last fucking year. It has been getting significantly more painful in the last two weeks. It makes it harder to use my computer and play video games (pretty much the last thing I love doing), painkillers don't do shit, and my doctors can't figure out what the hell is wrong with me. Apparently, I am "normal".
tinyE: Anyone know how to keep flies off their monitor? They keep dropping their little fly vomits all over it.
langurmonkey: Yes. Buy some citronella candles and light them near your monitor. Then flies won't bother you monitor anymore because they will keep away from the candles. They hate the smell those candles make.
You da man! Thanks! :D

and as for the girl thing, ummmm nothing for 20 years here so let's not lie to the poor guy. I stopped asking girls out ten years ago because I got tired of hearing the same excuses. :P
Post edited July 20, 2013 by tinyE
AdamR: They switched off my augmentations and activated my kill-switch.

That's what it feels like, anyways. I have had this fucking headache *literally* every single fucking day since May of last fucking year. It has been getting significantly more painful in the last two weeks. It makes it harder to use my computer and play video games (pretty much the last thing I love doing), painkillers don't do shit, and my doctors can't figure out what the hell is wrong with me. Apparently, I am "normal".
That is fucked up. Sounds like it could be a tumor. You should go to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion.
tinyE: OT how is airline travel in Finland? I'm talking about comfort, hospitality, timeliness. Do they charge you $5 for a bag with two stale peanuts. Do the flight attendants treat you like shit when and or ignore you when you ask for something? When they say the plane should be landing in 30 minutes do you quietly laugh to yourself and go back to sleep?
It's fine enough by me, but then again I have flown with Russian airlines in the past. I'm pretty sure that the Russian planes are alright by international standards and that not even the Russians would knowingly employ incompetent pilots, but for some reason every take-off and landing in a Russian plane has been terrifying for one reason or another. The Tu-154 is noisy during flight (little sound deadening?), so just imagine what it feels like during landing. It also rides very badly on the ground, which may be because of the runways or the suspension set-up (it's been designed to take off and land on substandard surfaces). Also, the seats are tiny, and I'm not even a big guy (about 68kg or 150lbs in Colonial). The Il-96 is statistically a very safe airliner, but again it's very uncomfortable in landing, mostly because the interior is made of cheap, hard plastics that rattle like a box of Lego bricks caught in an earthquake. I've forgotten what the small plane was called, but it was equipped with two propellers, chairs made from canvas kind of hanging off a steel frame like on a deck chair, some seat belts that looked like they served a decorative and legal rather than functional purpose, and not much else. It also smelled like chicken had been living in it. The chairs invoked much paranoia in me, but other than that the landing was actually quite pleasant because the stall speed was so low.

Can't really comment on the flight attendants, prices or what have you because I hate travelling; I just sort of deactivate until arrival, ignoring food, drinks and other trivialities in the process.

timppu: I don't think Finnair has crash-landed even once, and no other fatalities either, unless someone got a heart attack during a flight. So purely from a statistical point of view, they are a secure carrier. I recall there might have been a case some Finnish drunkard claiming he has a bomb, but he was probably referring to his bottle of Koskenkorva.
There have been a few fatalities, although the company wasn't called Finnair at the time. Yeah, it's been a while since the last one.

Hope you find out what's wrong with that noggin of yours.

langurmonkey: That is fucked up. Sounds like it could be a tumor. You should go to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion.
It's not a toomah...Sorry I couldn't resist.
Post edited July 20, 2013 by jjsimp

jjsimp: Hope you find out what's wrong with that noggin of yours.

langurmonkey: That is fucked up. Sounds like it could be a tumor. You should go to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion.
jjsimp: It's not a toomah...Sorry I couldn't resist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irKCgFrAORA
I love the internet.
Damn Humble Indie Bundle Android client PoS... I used to think it is pretty nifty, telling me when there are updated versions of the HiB Android games I've installed, but now it is acting like an ass. (It is still marked as "beta", are they ever going to mature the client from the beta status? The HiB Android client has been beta for as long as I can remember.)

The problems started when I installed many of my HiB Android games with it to our tablet. Suddenly I would get some odd Google error "414 URL is too long. That's all we know." whenever I tried to run the client.

After fooling around a bit (like deleting the client cache and such), I decided to start from the scratch, also in case there were some obsolete HiB game installers lying around stealing my preciously small tablet flash memory:

- uninstalled all my HiB Android games manually, one by one.
- uninstalled the HiB client
- tried to make sure there are no old HiB Android game installers lying around (not sure if I was successful)
- downloaded the HiB client again from HiB homepages, and installed it (now I didn't get the "URL too long"-error anymore)
- downloaded and re-installed all my HiB Android games all over again from within the HiB client

Some of the game installations were still somehow buggy through the client, ie. after I had downloaded and installed a game, the client still showed that it is not installed (while it was). Clicking the "install" button again caused the client to restart the download all over again. Anyway, only few games appeared buggy like this, so as they were installed already, I let it be.

But later when I started the HiB client again, now it doesn't detect any of the installed HiB games anymore, but shows the download button for all of them. Argh, sorry piece of...

Anyway, the games are installed now, maybe I'll just leave it to that for now. Let's see again if I buy any new Android games from HiB. I was once hoping that GOG client would be somewhat similar to this HiB Android client, but I'd hope it doesn't have similar shitty bugginess.

Ps. Can someone explain how the client treats your HiB Android game downloads (the .apk files, I presume)? Does it delete them after a successful installation, and if not, does it keep around several versions of the .apk files whenever there is a newer version of a game available that you download? Just asking as I was really running out of "disk space" with all my HiB Android games installed, and redoing it from the scratch did seem to free up space.

At the same time, I'm a bit annoyed that for some reason I seem to be receiving Steam client updates pretty much daily. Are they having some major problems with it now, requiring constant updates?
Post edited July 22, 2013 by timppu