It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: Perhaps a chain and a padlock then?
Thought about it. They've gotten pretty chummy with this other cat as well. I've been thinking about getting a puppy. Or maybe a small sentry bot armed with nerf darts.
the_bard: Thought about it. They've gotten pretty chummy with this other cat as well. I've been thinking about getting a puppy. Or maybe a small sentry bot armed with nerf darts.
Careful with the puppy idea, those things used to eat my dog's feces every night. Really gross.
orcishgamer: Careful with the puppy idea, those things used to eat my dog's feces every night. Really gross.
Raccoons to eat the poop of the lawn and goats to eat the grass. Ah, there's the life...
high rated
orcishgamer: Careful with the puppy idea, those things used to eat my dog's feces every night. Really gross.
the_bard: Raccoons to eat the poop of the lawn and goats to eat the grass. Ah, there's the life...
Funny that someone else is having problems with these things, as I have a fat assed raccoon pulling shingles off of my roof, and sorry about your loss of food.

I first noticed this little beast a few months ago, after a tree limb fell on the roof from the neighbor's maple. It happened about 3:30 am, I went out, saw the limb had fallen, and figured I'd check closer in the am since it had not broken through the roof.

I wake up to some noise, go out, and there is this fat raccoon having a good old time hanging on/climbing up a gutter that was intact the night before; furthermore, the chubby little bastard pulled down the soffit underneath that section of gutter.

To make a long story shorter, spent a bit replacing everything, and lo and behold, scratching noises on the roof weeks later. It was him, not intimidated by my threats in the least, pulling shingles off of the roof! After 1200 bucks, I was in no mood for his shit, but found local animal control does not have traps, ordinances against the discharge of firearms (live in a suburb,) and neighbors who keep/feed their cats outside, so no way to really get rid of him.

Researched, and found they don't like coyote piss, but really don't want to be spreading this stuff around, as coyotes are in the area as well, and don't want them coming here for a hot date.

If you figure out a way to deal with this guy, let me know, otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a humane trap, and putting him in the woods a couple of hours away.
HereForTheBeer: If they don't want one for a boyfriend, then how do the nice guys eventually get married? ; )
JMich: One of the studies I had read some years ago claimed that females of any species want the strongest possible male to father their child (which usually means douche/asshats) and a softer, more caring one to raise them. Which would probably mean that douches are boyfriend material, while good guys are husband material, don't ask me how this works out...
Must strength necessarily "cancel out" the ability to be soft and caring?

Why do you think that strong usually means douche? =)

Studies I've seen indicate that most people of both sexes put traits such as kindness and warmth above anything. As far as I can remember, many women also look for the ability to acquire resources, commitment/stability etc. Many men are slightly more attracted by physical appearance. Exceptions exist, of course.

Anyway, I think it's quite natural that many women (and men) prefer to have children with partners who show signs of good health, good physical capacity, fertility etc. I think being able and willing to take care of oneself is a welcome trait with most people. :)
Post edited April 15, 2012 by Primate
Dischord: ...
Since you're willing to use a firearm, get your local bow hunter to skewer the bastard.
Well just because it's a "humane" trap doesn't mean that you have to be humane AFTER you catch him. Unless your local laws are VERY strange, there shouldn't be any issue with you just killing him after you capture him, as long as you don't use a gun. Though you might need to call animal control to dispose of him afterwards, depending.
high rated
Dischord: ...
orcishgamer: Since you're willing to use a firearm, get your local bow hunter to skewer the bastard.
Good idea, but kind of thought of the firearm at a time of extreme frustration.

Damned thing is just being what it is, and guess I'm just going to have to get the trap, and move him along :-)
Dischord: Good idea, but kind of thought of the firearm at a time of extreme frustration.

Damned thing is just being what it is, and guess I'm just going to have to get the trap, and move him along :-)
Just be careful. There are laws in some places that prohibit relocating the little furballs. The coyote piss maybe a valid option. Read your other post btw. Just been a bit busy today. I'm not worried about mine atm. That's the craziest shit they've done in awhile. We'll see what happens around here. Hope you get it sorted. They keep it up around here and it's gonna be on.
Post edited April 15, 2012 by the_bard
high rated
Dischord: Good idea, but kind of thought of the firearm at a time of extreme frustration.

the_bard: Just be careful. There are laws in some places that prohibit relocating the little furballs. The coyote piss maybe a valid option. Read your other post btw. Just been a bit busy today. I'm not worried about mine atm. That's the craziest shit they've done in awhile. We'll see what happens around here. Hope you get it sorted. They keep it up around here and it's gonna be on.
Will check laws, thanks, but think I'll be ok.

If not, system will give me no choice other than to ascertain the cheapest fine, and deal with accordingly.

If close, tip of the hat goes to the raccoon, if not, guess I'll be digging a hole.

Ideally, the thing will just go away, but things seldom work so nicely.
high rated
the_bard: Thought about it. They've gotten pretty chummy with this other cat as well. I've been thinking about getting a puppy. Or maybe a small sentry bot armed with nerf darts.
Not sure if it will help or not, but had a return of a few raccoons last night, up to their antics of pulling on stuff and running around.

They weren't afraid of me in the least, but I got to thinking about the coyote urine, had none, but pitched a 16oz bottle of ammonia up there, and they hated it.

I don't expect the effect to last long, but might be something to keep in mind. They didn't return last night, and I pitched it at about 8:30, but will see tonight in a couple of hours.

Good luck.
Dischord: Not sure if it will help or not, but had a return of a few raccoons last night, up to their antics of pulling on stuff and running around.

They weren't afraid of me in the least, but I got to thinking about the coyote urine, had none, but pitched a 16oz bottle of ammonia up there, and they hated it.

I don't expect the effect to last long, but might be something to keep in mind. They didn't return last night, and I pitched it at about 8:30, but will see tonight in a couple of hours.

Good luck.
They generally don't fear humans. Hit a few of them with a golf club and convince them they're in the wrong on that one, imo.
the_bard: Someone/thing broke into my fridge last night and stole the hamburger meat I had prepped for burgers today. I've got a pretty good idea who it was.... -__-
I laughed at your misfortune. Lure them with ground meat mixed with the hottest peppers you can find. Hide, record the scene and share with us.
My bicycle was stolen. Hope the insurance company pays quickly, since I can't really go anywhere now.
AlKim: My bicycle was stolen. Hope the insurance company pays quickly, since I can't really go anywhere now.
Don't you ride snowbears in Finland?