It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MonstaMunch: Despite it supposedly being the dry season, the last few days have been surprisingly cool and wet here, and friends in Thailand have said it's been the same there.
Believe me, for the tourists coming from Finland now, your "cool" 25-30 Celsius degrees feels quite hot right now. :)

But as a matter of fact, when I was in Thailand three years ago (I think?) in January, the nights were sometimes surprisingly chilly even for me. The days were very nice (dry, around 25-30 Celsius degrees, felt like Finnish summer at its best), but the nights seemed to go down to 11-15 Celsius degrees, and as there was no heating at all in our motel and insulation was non-existant, it was pretty much the same temperature indoors. I skipped my morning showers, too cold for that, had to wait until noon or so.

(We were actually pretty close to Cambodian border back then...)

That year, I think they even reported the temperature going below zero at nights on some parts of north Thailand (Chiang Mai?), and some drunkards etc. dying of it when they forgot to get a blanket when they went to sleep.
Post edited February 21, 2012 by timppu
timppu: there was no heating at all in our motel
Reminds me of when I showed my girlfriend photos of the house I lived in growing up in England - she pointed to a radiator on the wall in the background of one of the photos and asked "what's that?" :p
Sitting in the office, counting the seconds till I can go. I have loads of work, but a nasty headcold and absolutely no motivation. I'm also alone in the office and can't go until 4 pm (Yes, I know, still very early, but I'm basically a freelancer). On top of that, due to being alone here, I have to also do all the "day business" which is neither in my paygrade nor my contract. I'm way to nice for this world...

And now not even a Startopia release! The first thing I'll do when I'm home is the airport level of MW2...
So when my 3G internet service gave me "1GB of high speed and then unlimited limited speed" and I got only 40k a second up in the mountains I assumed my fast and slow speeds were roughly identical. Well... nope. Now that I have burned through my GB of "high speed" I download at a whopping 4k a second and it takes 5 minutes to load facebook.

Awesome.
Well I am working at a new place now . It's nice and all, except that there are so many people here. It's something that takes me a while to get used to seeing all those people work tick-tock, tick-tock, tick- tock like drones in some star wars factory. It frightens me a little since I have this paranoid fear around me that they are all going to attack me or something. Completely irrational I know.....But it does affect me greatly seeing so many people since I can't seem to focus and my mind is like this huge whirlpool of thoughts now, it's all black in there - not just any black though more like a dracula friggin' black and everything seems to be just going to hell at the moment....I feel that I have become very uncoordinated and can't seem to get out of mesh.That's not the only thing though as I can't seem to be able to effectively build a rapport with the people here since I don't quite understand social conventions.....lot of stress here and it's driving me friggin up a wall.. I am a journalist and my job hinges greatly on how well I can talk to people and as of now I can't - I get very confused with facial expressions and I understand that you're supposed to make eye contact and all...maybe I have ADD or something. ...I am 25 years old btw.
Post edited February 23, 2012 by Lionel212008
Some people are real hypocrites... and they deny it all!!
We are all relatively hypocrites for believing in civilization, no?

nijuu: Some people are real hypocrites... and they deny it all!!
edit
Post edited February 25, 2012 by Lionel212008
I'm still sick. No sport, no drinking, no sex. Sitting all day at home, playing videogames and screaming at people on the internet. Damn, it's like being fifteen again!

I hope the pizza is coming soon ...
SimonG: I'm still sick. No sport, no drinking, no sex. Sitting all day at home, playing videogames and screaming at people on the internet. Damn, it's like being fifteen again!

I hope the pizza is coming soon ...
KIEL DA NOOBZ!!!111!!ONE!!
Everything pretty much sucks today. My job is meandering of a straight path right down to hell and I am staring at the goddam depths of the abyss - Nothing seems to working out and my story looks like an absolute piece of crap - the problem is that I know it's a piece of crap and I can't seem to do anything about it- I just can't seem to get the damned quotes for my article coz everyone's acting like an arrogant snob and I don't seem to have any confidence anymore - Just wanna go home, take a nap and play baldur's gate or something.The thing is that this is my dream job and I am screwing it up since I can't seem to talk to people..everyone presumes that I am a moron or something since I can't seem to apply myself. I could work for a magazine on computers and gaming, that would be fine but I just can't seem to get the hang of my current beat that's on plastics and polymers - that stuff just seems to annoy me...Moreover I have always been a bit of a rebel so like when someone tells me to do something, I do the exact opposite - it's just the way I am - I don't like work well under authority but that's screwing me up...I don't even know what the hell is wrong with me...my colleagues hate me too and I am pretty much friggin' ostracized by everyone at the moment - I think it's all funny though, bloddy hillarious if you ask me since I am now like friggin' parody or something...I don't even know whom I should consult and that's why I am asking random folk on the internet for advice. The whole situation has me pretty sick to the stomach and I really wanna go puke or something.
Post edited February 27, 2012 by Lionel212008
Resumes are bull****. Recruiters are ***wipes.
Lionel212008: Everything pretty much sucks today. My job is meandering of a straight path right down to hell and I am staring at the goddam depths of the abyss - Nothing seems to working out and my story looks like an absolute piece of crap - the problem is that I know it's a piece of crap and I can't seem to do anything about it- I just can't seem to get the damned quotes for my article coz everyone's acting like an arrogant snob and I don't seem to have any confidence anymore - Just wanna go home, take a nap and play baldur's gate or something.The thing is that this is my dream job and I am screwing it up since I can't seem to talk to people..everyone presumes that I am a moron or something since I can't seem to apply myself. I could work for a magazine on computers and gaming, that would be fine but I just can't seem to get the hang of my current beat that's on plastics and polymers - that stuff just seems to annoy me...Moreover I have always been a bit of a rebel so like when someone tells me to do something, I do the exact opposite - it's just the way I am - I don't like work well under authority but that's screwing me up...I don't even know what the hell is wrong with me...my colleagues hate me too and I am pretty much friggin' ostracized by everyone at the moment - I think it's all funny though, bloddy hillarious if you ask me since I am now like friggin' parody or something...I don't even know whom I should consult and that's why I am asking random folk on the internet for advice. The whole situation has me pretty sick to the stomach and I really wanna go puke or something.
I've been there mate. 7 years ago, I started my job in a printing office - not my dream job since I wanted something more creative but I still got to use the same software so didn't "lose my edge" so to speak. Thing is, my colleagues were draining the life out of me. One woman basically treated me like shit because she feared I'd take her job (and I did later on, to be fair) and she basically riled three other woman up against me. I was very liked by the male colleagues and the women who weren't in my office (which proved that this one jealous colleague was the cause) except for one male colleague who was my superior and would boss me around and treat me like shit. Even the boss didn't have any authority over him since this guy was hired in a deal between a customer and him (this guy was the son of a big chief in a very big Belgian oil company).

Things got better though once that one woman was fired - I got more respect (except by that one guy still, because he felt threatened by me) and in the end, even though the company went bankrupt a few months back, they still call me for help and help me out in turn.

Basically, don't give up - things can change and it's often just a few things that cause people to act the way they do. I know, it's very hard to speak out when you lack the confidence or when you know people will be extra judgemental of what you have to say. It's a game of patience I guess - but either you need to sit it out or find another job.
nijuu: Resumes are bull****. Recruiters are ***wipes.
If you mean recruiters as in temp agencies (that's what we call them here though they aren't temp at all) and the like, then they're the worst thing to happen to the job market in the past 100 years. They greatly pollute the economy and severely leech off everyone involved.

Companies go to them because
a) it's easy to fire someone and quick to hire someone so limited risk
b) they have a large database of people to contact for jobs
c) there's loads of them so more chance of finding someone

On the other hand, employees get used like cattle - given false promises, you can get fired at the end of the week without any reason given, it's a lot harder to get a full term contract, it's loads of extra paperwork, if anything is wrong, they give zero help.

I got a new job now but dear LORD, the two months I was at home was enough to make me hate them even more than I already did. I got over 30 calls from temp agencies in less than a week and they all promised jobs that weren't true, already taken or nothing like what I put on my resume <.< .
Post edited February 27, 2012 by Red_Avatar
another diy disaster.

just moved house.
decided to lay flooring in the loft.
missed the screw and drilled through my hand.
swore and jumped up.
hit my head on roof support.
fell down and drilled through my leg.
honestly, it was somewhere between final destination and mr bean!
nicked the artery.
spent the morning in surgery.
spent the afternoon lying here fighting this bloody touchscreen.

diy - drilling into yourself - don't do it!!!!!!
I hate the laundrette system here. You have to reserve your turn online, which would be great if you could enforce it in any way. But since you can't, I haven't been able to do my laundry normally for the past two weeks; someone has always nicked my turn. This happens all the time and I'm fed up with returning to the laundry in the night to wash things that should've been dry by then if not for some stupid nimrod nicking my turn.

How frustrating can such a basic chore be? First-world problems.
Post edited February 28, 2012 by AlKim