It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: Insults are weak nowadays, and also autist is used to mean someone who obsesses over little details when doing/saying things irl/online.
zlaywal: That some words often used as an insult doesn't mean it is OK to be used. The usage of a disorder also demeans the struggle of people that clinically diagnosed with it or the people around them who live with the side effect.

Same with the use of "My OCD" by someone who never diagnosed with it to justify their preference. For example, if someone said "I want to buy this xx game so I can complete owning the series cause of my OCD hehe".

For people that have really live with OCD or autism, life's not a joke and people shouldn't treat them or their disorder as a joke.
I never argued for/against insulting people with that reply, but to clarify my position on such:

Imo if a person does have a disorder or belong to a group they should be free to use it as such....some people find joking about their problems makes them more bearable, and it's good for them to be able to do so.

Also some should also be able to use some things if their intent isn't to mock those with said problem...context/intent should matter when judging such people, basically.

Also/an aside: as one with OCD/some tism signs I could care less if one jokes about it...it ain't harming me physically or even mentally(as I choose to not let it get to me in the first place). I realize not everyone will be able to do so, however, but most should be able to physically/mentally ignore such or not let it get to them.

GameRager: Insults are weak nowadays, and also autist is used to mean someone who obsesses over little details when doing/saying things irl/online. I sometimes get called an autist elsewhere for how I structure replies how I do.
DadJoke007: In that context, the insult would be used correctly. But using it because you're annoyed over someone's playstyle? That's just stupid.

The correct use of the insult would be to call me an autist for getting annoyed over this detail, that I could accept.
Not everyone uses terms correctly(like some calling people x-cist/x-phobe as a blanket shutdown of a dialog or those on the other side calling everyone that three letter word that starts with S and ends with W) either due to stupidity/lack of proper understanding of how to use them or just blind sheep behavior.

kai2: People should treat one another with respect, tolerance, and understanding, but there will always be those who refuse to act respectfully and those who take offense even when none is meant.

The other day I was screamed at by a 70+ year old woman for opening a door for her. She was hobbling with a cane and I became "You ^#&*#^ patriarchal mother#$%." When even acts of kindness or respect are taken as disrespectful acts of aggression, I don't know what to think anymore.

And yes...

Coming from a family that suffers from severe PTSD from a lifetime of Emergency Services and Public Safety, hearing "children" say they're "triggered" is angering and ridiculous.
That's why I "laugh" when people say we could eliminate problems in society by teaching people not to do them/making them jailable offenses. As others have said, some don't care or are crazy and won't listen and it's mostly those types who do such things, so teaching people won't do much of anything in most cases.

Also, sadly saying to some that saying they are triggered all the time/for minor stuff is offensive somehow to them...even if it offends you that they are saying it their offense is considered more worthy/acceptable by some because they are more PC as seen by some.

Disclaimer: I also have ocd/etc and suffer actual triggers from various things and have severe panic attacks where I can;'t move/think clearly for a good amount of time. When others say a few words triggered them & they sit there able to do/say stuff without panicking it just irks me to no end.

Yet I remain mature/calm and choose to just let them go(sometimes with a few civil but choice words) on and ignore them for the most part...unlike how they would likely treat me if I said/did the wrong thing.

======================
Addition: Heck, I defend some who get treated poorly here and one user calls it bad/a hero complex and insults me over it, and another just recently told me to f off(basically) after all the good things I said to them/times I stood up for them because I dared question them on one thing they said. Some people can be rude....we just have to deal with it and move on as best we can.
Post edited June 02, 2019 by GameRager
Yes to all. I agree. Joking can be much more positive than negative and context is very important. Many people either overlook context through negligence or on purpose to bolster an angry argument. People in general just need to take a breath and step back. There's a word of difference between a flippant comment or joke and using a term to demean someone.

And when I spoke on "triggered" and PTSD. I do accept that people have anxiety issues and ther's a lot of severe psychic trauma, but when I hear "children" trying to use the terminology for their politics of victimization it's angering. How many times have they had a loaded weapon in their mouth or fought to keep a familiy member from killing themselves or awoken to find their loved ones screaming from reliving agony "flashbacks?" They (children) are equating real, devastating psychic trauma to them not getting their way or feeling somewhat uncomfortable or having their beliefs challenged. That is ridiculous IMHO.
Post edited June 02, 2019 by kai2
kai2: Yes to all. I agree. Joking can be much more positive than negative and context is very important. Many people either overlook context through negligence or on purpose to bolster an angry argument. People in general just need to take a breath and step back. There's a word of difference between a flippant comment or joke and using a term to demean someone.
Some people often take words the wrong way, get upset over perceived slights......

Heck, I don't like pointing people out but take Wishmaster777 in the last page of obduction, for example. I replied to one of their posts saying they were basicaly trolling with what they said and they ranted about it/called me names, then when I told them not to/that I reported them they started claiming they were in the right 100% and I was in the wrong and basically goading me on again......even after I said to stop egging me on and that I wanted to stop the offtopic for civility's sake/to keep the thread ontopic.

I even offered to talk via PM and that user would rather keep talking a rudely about me in public instead of taking it to PM.

Oh well, some just like confrontation I guess. I just hide their latest post and reported it again while ignoring it....no sense getting stressed after all.

*Sorry for the venting/making this about me, btw*

kai2: And when I spoke on "triggered" and PTSD. I do accept that people have anxiety issues and ther's a lot of severe psychic trauma, but when I hear "children" trying to use the terminology for their politics of victimization it's angering. How many times have they had a loaded weapon in their mouth or fought to keep a familiy member from killing themselves or awoken to find their loved ones screaming from reliving agony "flashbacks?" They (children) are equating real, devastating psychic trauma to them not getting their way or feeling somewhat uncomfortable or having their beliefs challenged. That is ridiculous IMHO.
Agreed, but in today's world it's "UN-PC" to even say that their triggering isn't as valid as actual serious stuff like you mentioned...clown world it is.
Post edited June 02, 2019 by GameRager
Online message boards are a difficult place. It's easy to connect with many people and share thoughts, but it's difficult really see the very real person behind the words. I try to act the same online as I would IRL but even then it's difficult to discern context without seeing a face. We're reacting to sentences written with relatively little thought (mainly reflexive writing) and trying to decide the character of the person behind the words... not very easy IMHO without looking into their eyes. Oh well, I'm rambling. Sorry... maybe I should just play a game? Ha.
Post edited June 03, 2019 by kai2
kai2: Online message boards are a difficult place. It's easy to connect with many people and share thoughts, but it's difficult really see the very real person behind the words. I try to act the same online as I would IRL but even then it's difficult to discern context without seeing a face. We're reacting to sentences written with relatively little thought (mainly reflexive writing) and trying to decide the character of the person behind the words... not very easy IMHO without looking into their eyes. Oh well, I'm rambling. Sorry... maybe I should just play a game? Ha.
As long as it isn't run by a little clown puppet on a tricycle. 0.o ;)

(Your words ring true, though......I just found it "funny" how[just like people saying words trigger them too much] Wm basically said I was forcing them to reply to them by writing my replies....as if I put a figurative gun to their head and forced them physically to respond:\)
Post edited June 03, 2019 by GameRager
dtgreene: What does that have to do with anything?

(Yes, I redacted part of your post here.)

Anyway, given a certain topic that was posted (I will not identify it or link to it here), and the fact that "low rated" topics no longer automatically appear as read (at least for me), I think I need a new rule; if a topic has a misleading title, I *will* downvote the initial post.
GameRager: What if a person has trouble with english or uses a title to draw attention to a worthwhile cause/issue and basically misleads for a good cause/purpose?
That was clearly not the case in the topic in question; the topic title was clearly intended to be misleading.

In cases where the bad topic title was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, I will err on the side of not downrating such topics (unless there's another reason to do so, of course).
GameRager: What if a person has trouble with english or uses a title to draw attention to a worthwhile cause/issue and basically misleads for a good cause/purpose?
dtgreene: That was clearly not the case in the topic in question; the topic title was clearly intended to be misleading.

In cases where the bad topic title was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, I will err on the side of not downrating such topics (unless there's another reason to do so, of course).
Sounds good...btw I know that's not the case but I was asking in general when asking such.
DadJoke007: Why is it trendy to use "autist" as an insult online?
Probably for the same reason that "gay" was used as an insult for many years.
kai2: Coming from a family that suffers from severe PTSD from a lifetime of Emergency Services and Public Safety, hearing "children" say they're "triggered" is angering and ridiculous.
It also dilutes the meaning of the word, as it makes it harder to tell if something is a real trigger or not.
Post edited June 03, 2019 by dtgreene
doronnorod: Do you even believe in God ?
tinyE: Actually no.
Not that it's any of your business, but I'm an atheist.

And before you answer think. because they are cracking down on personal attacks in here; a rule that even I am subject to, have been disciplined for, and have agreed to refrain from breaking from here on out.
You had to be subjected to that rule because your personal attacks against others were downright shocking. You viciously insulted their mothers, families among other stuff.

I remember a time when you were a lot more jolly good fellow who would make jokes and brighten everyone's day.
tinyE: Actually no.
doronnorod: I remember a time when you were a lot more jolly good fellow who would make jokes and brighten everyone's day.
No, I'm afraid you have me mistaken with Al Roker.
kai2: People should treat one another with respect, tolerance, and understanding, but there will always be those who refuse to act respectfully and those who take offense even when none is meant.
Yeah,well
Vacation Over, season kicks into full gear today.

This post could actually go into the Happy Thread. It all depends on whatever experiences await me for the next four and a half months. :D
I've been having a terrible bout of flu. It's been a long time since I've fallen ill and I was awarded with a hacking cough that wouldn't stop like a broken record. Coughing while sitting, coughing while standing, coughing while sleeping. Can't do anything as it will suddenly strike and erupt like a volcano. I've already seen the doc and am trying several stop-gap remedies. Hoping it will all heal up sooner than later.
tinyE: Vacation Over, season kicks into full gear today.

This post could actually go into the Happy Thread. It all depends on whatever experiences await me for the next four and a half months. :D
Yes, some people's vacation is other people's work.

I happen to be lucky to only work as a volunteer, so I have control over my own holidays. I always take 6 weeks off in the summer, in line with the schoolchildren. Even though I have no children myself, the schoolholiday rhythm fits my mental recovery just fine. After 8 weeks of work I'm usually quite done mentally and a holiday starts. Though May holiday till summer holiday is the most hefty stretch, as I have a full season of work under my belt. My bitching for today is that I'm dead tired. Already looking forward to 6 weeks of rest still 6 weeks away.
Post edited June 03, 2019 by DubConqueror
tinyE: Vacation Over, season kicks into full gear today.

DubConqueror: Yes, some people's vacation is other people's work.
Well....kind of.

I'm wearing ripped jeans and a Pink Floyd tie-dye and that constitutes my work clothes. :P
Not to mention, as I'm typing this, I'm technically working.