It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kaboro: Change some channels but its like the TV is stuck on the 1984 channel.
Orwell knew what's up. He knew how fascism operates, he knew how obvious lies are repeated until taken for truth, that's why quoting his works is so "inappropriate" right now. We struggle with the issue of civility while we imbibe wholly civil obvious propaganda lies daily.

Orwell knew that art is always political, either adheres to and therewith strengthens the political status quo or challenges it, but I've all but given up quoting him here, because the GOG forum often feels like the 1984 channel just as well.

Orwell just couldn't have foreseen how modern technology makes control so much easier. How it makes propaganda so much more attractive, how strategically it could be disseminated, and how indifferent people would be to swallow wagonloads. Orwell thought fascist regimes couldn't arm their citizens to the teeth, because the citizens would turn against he regime. Boy do we see how wrong he was these days.
Post edited November 17, 2018 by Vainamoinen
d3adb01t: I go out of my way to help someone, but instead of getting thanked they make smart remarks and insult me.
Then they feel compelled to tell everyone (including complete strangers) how terrible I am.
This reminds me of many instances, on this website (though typically on one of the game specific forums), that I would provide advice or information only to be met with something to the effect of "thanks guys". I am not a guy, so please don't call me one.
kaboro: Change some channels but its like the TV is stuck on the 1984 channel.
Vainamoinen: Orwell knew what's up. He knew how fascism operates, he knew how obvious lies are repeated until taken for truth, that's why quoting his works is so "inappropriate" right now. We struggle with the issue of civility while we imbibe wholly civil obvious propaganda lies daily.

Orwell knew that art is always political, either adheres to and therewith strengthens the political status quo or challenges it, but I've all but given up quoting him here, because the GOG forum often feels like the 1984 channel just as well.

Orwell just couldn't have foreseen how modern technology makes control so much easier. How it makes propaganda so much more attractive, how strategically it could be disseminated, and how indifferent people would be to swallow wagonloads. Orwell thought fascist regimes couldn't arm their citizens to the teeth, because the citizens would turn against he regime. Boy do we see how wrong he was these days.
Maybe Orwell couldnt have foreseen how technology makes control easier but the idea was already there in the 50s and 60s. The french sociologist Jacques Ellul wrote several books on the subject, showing how technology is a necessary tool for control. His books "Propaganda the formation of Men's Attitudes" written in 1962 seems prophetic today, but it also helps understand better whats going on.
His books "The Technological System" and "The Technological Society" show that the present state of the world has been foreseen decades ago, and it was inevitable, because humanity failed to see the pitfalls of technology and thus lost control over it.
low rated
kaboro: Maybe Orwell couldnt have foreseen how technology makes control easier but the idea was already there in the 50s and 60s.
I do think Orwell saw that technology facilitates control (the TV set in 1984 is ample proof of that), but what was impossible to grok was how it would happen. And, of course, how willingly we would offer our privacy in exchange for the teensiest bit of convenience or even visibility. How complicit we would readily be in seeing this ploy succeed.
kaboro: Maybe Orwell couldnt have foreseen how technology makes control easier but the idea was already there in the 50s and 60s.
Vainamoinen: I do think Orwell saw that technology facilitates control (the TV set in 1984 is ample proof of that), but what was impossible to grok was how it would happen. And, of course, how willingly we would offer our privacy in exchange for the teensiest bit of convenience or even visibility. How complicit we would readily be in seeing this ploy succeed.
Once the technology is there, its only a matter of time before it will be used as a means of control.
People lost their privacy (together with a great deal of civil rights) after the terror scam, or scare if you prefer.
Thats when the true assault on privacy started, and its continuing today.
Because of GOG's idiotic rules, im not allowed to post links because i have negative rep, but please google the article "the hypocrisy of the internet journalist" by Quinn Norton, it talks about how insidious the mechanism is, going well and beyond the stuff we give away unknowingly or uncaringly on social media.
low rated
kaboro: Once the technology is there, its only a matter of time before it will be used as a means of control.
That's a horrifying thought. Maybe it's entirely correct, and I just don't want it to be. I guess that advancements in technology will always have to come with a clear cut moral stance, or they're worthless and damaging. "Tech won't build it" and the like.
tinyE: I just saw a commercial:

Black Friday, Starts Monday

Huh?
I guess it's similar to how the holiday season begins somewhere during the first half of October here.
tinyE: I just saw a commercial:

Black Friday, Starts Monday

Huh?
AlKim: I guess it's similar to how the holiday season begins somewhere during the first half of October here.
Some business here have been having Black Friday sales for over a week now.

We don't even have Thanksgiving.
AlKim: I guess it's similar to how the holiday season begins somewhere during the first half of October here.
Caesar.: Some business here have been having Black Friday sales for over a week now.

We don't even have Thanksgiving.
I saw a comedy show do a skit about a business that went:

It's the Going Out of Business Store's 'Going out of Business Sale'!
Post edited November 18, 2018 by tinyE
I AM NOT A VERY GOOD STAR RULER
Also kerblam was like a sub-par sarah jane episode. And I was so looking forward to it. Because Lee Mack.
Telika: I AM NOT A VERY GOOD STAR RULER
STAR RULER

*rimshot*
Was playing Ultimate General, battle of Chickamauga, and had all the victory objectives except one bridge. Had three brigades pushing towards the last point when the time ran out. Lost the battle. Campaign defeat screen pops up. Talk about rage quit.

So much for winning back the lost cause. Even in a damn video game it all comes down to a freakin' technicality.
Emob78: Was playing Ultimate General, battle of Chickamauga, and had all the victory objectives except one bridge. Had three brigades pushing towards the last point when the time ran out. Lost the battle. Campaign defeat screen pops up. Talk about rage quit.

So much for winning back the lost cause. Even in a damn video game it all comes down to a freakin' technicality.
Games with time limits like that are terrible.
Another fucking C-Scan tomorrow.

Pretty soon I'm going to start glowing. :P That will be cool!
Post edited November 20, 2018 by tinyE