It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Emob78: I told you that your lifestyle was going to have a hilarious ending. Your illness is but a symptom of the disease. And it only gets funnier from here on out.

You should have taken more time away from work. Time is money, and you're dead broke, pal.
HereForTheBeer: Haha - you may be right. But now I'm sitting at the hotel with a free day. Using it to rest and hope that this sinus infection or whatever it is runs its course. And hey - driving yesterday got me out of shoveling the driveway and sidewalk last night. Unfortunately, it fell on her and she's also under the weather. And taking today off, too.

Sadly, I love this work: the Hero Complex is hard to get past. To stretch things a little, it's like the job equivalent of an RPG: travel to a far away place, customer gives you a quest to solve their problems, you slay the beasts that invaded their machine, and they shower you with praise and gifts (pay the invoice). Return home the victorious hero, regale the wife with stories of the glorious deed, repair the armor and weapons (restock the inventory and buy tools), and mount the trusty steed (Subaru Forester) to journey forth for the next quest.
Hey, if it makes ya happy... who am I judge?

I just mention that because I've known career warriors like yourself before, and almost to a man they crashed and burned... sometimes violently and with much pomp and circumstance. Some people don't mind swallowing life and choking on the bone. If you decide that's the life for you... then please, learn some basic Heimlich maneuver techniques. Sometimes life gets stuck in the throat and wants to come back up the hard way.
HereForTheBeer: Haha - you may be right. But now I'm sitting at the hotel with a free day. Using it to rest and hope that this sinus infection or whatever it is runs its course. And hey - driving yesterday got me out of shoveling the driveway and sidewalk last night. Unfortunately, it fell on her and she's also under the weather. And taking today off, too.

Sadly, I love this work: the Hero Complex is hard to get past. To stretch things a little, it's like the job equivalent of an RPG: travel to a far away place, customer gives you a quest to solve their problems, you slay the beasts that invaded their machine, and they shower you with praise and gifts (pay the invoice). Return home the victorious hero, regale the wife with stories of the glorious deed, repair the armor and weapons (restock the inventory and buy tools), and mount the trusty steed (Subaru Forester) to journey forth for the next quest.
Emob78: Hey, if it makes ya happy... who am I judge?

I just mention that because I've known career warriors like yourself before, and almost to a man they crashed and burned... sometimes violently and with much pomp and circumstance. Some people don't mind swallowing life and choking on the bone. If you decide that's the life for you... then please, learn some basic Heimlich maneuver techniques. Sometimes life gets stuck in the throat and wants to come back up the hard way.
Judge away! Really, feedback helps. Sometimes it's the outside, unconnected viewpoint that shines the best light on a problem.

If it weren't for the travel and all that comes with it, this would be an ideal job for me. No boss, different workplace all the time, some weekdays at home, talk to a lot of different people... But being away takes a toll. Without kids it's probably not as tough on us as it is for other folks, but there's still a price to pay.

The other downside is that I've convinced myself I need to be available to customers all the time. Much of that has to do with the nature of this industry: a broken machine can be a really big deal to a small shop. That, and I don't want to miss out on a parts sale. Vacation time has taken the brunt of this.

I'm trying to deal with those in two ways. First, I'm expanding my parts lineup. The more stuff I put in my catalog the less I need to travel to earn a living; eventually I'd like to transition to parts-only and offer phone support as a freebie because getting them to call you in the first place - for whatever reason - is a big step to selling parts. The second is that I'm starting to think about the continuation of the business once I decide it's time to slow down or retire. I've built up something here and would hate for it to just disappear at retirement, not to mention figuring out what to do with my parts stock at that time. To that end, I need to find someone worth a shit that I can train on the machines, customer service, and the like. And he or she would have to be willing to travel.
fr33kSh0w2012: Hell Sounds Like my day EVERYDAY I am Sick and Fucking tired of being Bitched at all Day and Halfway into the fucking NIGHT EVERY NIGHT

I Live in a Broken Body Intestine cramps, Hip Cramps from my Shattered right hip, Cramps in my shoulder which hangs out my Shattered Right shoulder socket, IBS feels like my intestines are BEING PUMPED UP ALL DAY

Hey Kids Enjoy your perfect Little bodies now because someone somewhere in the near future is going to rip yours to shreds for Shits and Giggles

Passing Out FROM PAIN OH YAHWEH I NEED A NEW BODY!

somedays I feel Like Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNLl7_W0ds from the pain
Yeah, life's not easy. I can sorta relate since I'm disabled. I'm not in pain or anything but I do know what it's like for your body to not work right and it sucks! So hang in there, mate.
jepsen1977: Yeah, life's not easy. I can sorta relate since I'm disabled. I'm not in pain or anything but I do know what it's like for your body to not work right and it sucks! So hang in there, mate.
In some ways you are lucky, in others not so, I also have Asperger's Syndrome as well. Really Intelligent yet socially awkward.

People ask me how I'm feeling I always say "Getting there" or "Reasonable" how do you have a comeback to Reasonable, LOL some days my body feels like plastic!

It's so funny when I'm being FRANK with people they think I'm being Rude and disrespectful, Not at all.
jepsen1977: Yeah, life's not easy. I can sorta relate since I'm disabled. I'm not in pain or anything but I do know what it's like for your body to not work right and it sucks! So hang in there, mate.
fr33kSh0w2012: In some ways you are lucky, in others not so, I also have Asperger's Syndrome as well. Really Intelligent yet socially awkward.

People ask me how I'm feeling I always say "Getting there" or "Reasonable" how do you have a comeback to Reasonable, LOL some days my body feels like plastic!

It's so funny when I'm being FRANK with people they think I'm being Rude and disrespectful, Not at all.
Oops, sorry that I was rude to you in another thread. I'm an aspie as well but life experience means that I can detect sarcasms and jokes much better than 30 years ago. Our social instincts aren't good but we can learn.
fr33kSh0w2012: In some ways you are lucky, in others not so, I also have Asperger's Syndrome as well. Really Intelligent yet socially awkward.

justanoldgamer: Oops, sorry that I was rude to you in another thread. I'm an aspie as well but life experience means that I can detect sarcasms and jokes much better than 30 years ago. Our social instincts aren't good but we can learn.
Just wanted to know what that Plane Bullshit was about?!?

I'll be turning 33 this year and I feel every bit 3000 years old right now!
Post edited February 06, 2016 by fr33kSh0w2012
justanoldgamer: Oops, sorry that I was rude to you in another thread. I'm an aspie as well but life experience means that I can detect sarcasms and jokes much better than 30 years ago. Our social instincts aren't good but we can learn.
fr33kSh0w2012: Just wanted to know what that Plane Bullshit was about?!?

tinyE's answer to my post about craton was a joke, he knew I was not writing about croutons. The plane thing meant that it passed over your head, it means that you did not get it. Sorry if this offend(ed) you. I drank tonight which lower my anxiety issues which lower my inhibitions.
fr33kSh0w2012: Just wanted to know what that Plane Bullshit was about?!?

justanoldgamer: tinyE's answer to my post about craton was a joke, he knew I was not writing about croutons. The plane thing meant that it passed over your head, it means that you did not get it. Sorry if this offend(ed) you. I drank tonight which lower my anxiety issues which lower my inhibitions.
I see My humour is more DRY HUMOUR I really didn't get it.
Dead pixels on the screen. This sucks.

Yeah, first world problems...
viperfdl: Dead pixels on the screen. This sucks.

Damn, How?
viperfdl: Dead pixels on the screen. This sucks.

fr33kSh0w2012: Damn, How?
Don't know. My guess: Warranty expired...
fr33kSh0w2012: I'll be turning 33 this year and I feel every bit 3000 years old right now!
Yes, I know the feeling of feeling much older than you really are from the pain of life. Not so old though, at 19 I felt as tired as if I was 300 years old and it gradually improved, when learning to deal with my mental illness. By the time I was 30 I felt like 90, at 40 I felt like being just pensioned and now I'm 45 I feel like I can deal with some more work of (volunteer's) working life.

Hope the feeling of being old lessens for you too? Like maybe sometime feeling like being around since the Middle Ages instead of Ancient Egypt?

It must be hard, having to deal with asperger as well as a mom that's mentally ill and a broken body on top.
viperfdl: Don't know. My guess: Warranty expired...
That's nothing. My screen's stand just broke when I adjusted the webcam recently. And it's damage not covered by the warranty (also I think it has expired by now anyway). I just managed to grab the screen before it feel flat on its face. Luckily I managed to get a new stand quickly that uses the openings meant for wall mounting so I guess I'm still better off than you are.
I like my job, it's better than most, but.... I wish there was a perfect place to work at! I know, we can all dream right?
android0025: I like my job, it's better than most, but.... I wish there was a perfect place to work at! I know, we can all dream right?
Now I'm curious. What is your idea of a perfect place to work?