It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tarnicus: <snip>
Yeah, it's tough. Every one of our pets over the years has had something come up: a couple cats to kidney failure, another to something the vet couldn't figure out but I think was pneumonia, and our last dog died from lymphoma. Sucks ass. The worst thing we did was to hang on too long, and we're determined to not let that happen this time. But still, if we can extend the 2-6 month prognosis up to 2-3 good, pain-free years then we'll consider that option.

We do appreciate the kind words. People have pets to add something good to their lives, and it's rough that we have to watch them pass after giving us the love and affection. Or in the case of cats, after they've allowed us to serve as their slaves for a dozen years or so. But we do it anyway, and do it over and over again.

And are happy to do so.
HereForTheBeer: Yeah, it's tough. Every one of our pets over the years has had something come up: a couple cats to kidney failure, another to something the vet couldn't figure out but I think was pneumonia, and our last dog died from lymphoma. Sucks ass. The worst thing we did was to hang on too long, and we're determined to not let that happen this time. But still, if we can extend the 2-6 month prognosis up to 2-3 good, pain-free years then we'll consider that option.

We do appreciate the kind words. People have pets to add something good to their lives, and it's rough that we have to watch them pass after giving us the love and affection. Or in the case of cats, after they've allowed us to serve as their slaves for a dozen years or so. But we do it anyway, and do it over and over again.

And are happy to do so.
It really is challenging. Our lives are generally so much longer than those of our beloved animal companions. I have never felt the same loss from losing a human as I have an animal companion. The closest was the recent passing of my grandfather, and I am glad he found rest at 97 after a very challenging life.

On topic (sadly) is that my ex of 11 years had one of her cats Pepper euthanised today. I lived with Pepper for 6 years. She had dementia and was a funny old thing but very loving. I shed a tear for her today, may she rest well.
Getcomposted: Sorry, I needed to unload a bit. :(
I'm not going to say any BS like "I know how you feel." Because nobody knows exactly how others feel, and what they have to go through.
And unfortunately, I don't have any good advice to give. Except... just hang in there.

Depression in an evil fucking beast. Not much is worse than your own brain turning against you. It doesn't make any sense, and it isn't fair. But I believe people who suffer with it (and similar problems) are the strongest people in the world.
For me, that belief is kinda what keeps me going. Even though I feel weak and pathetic most of the time, I realize that I am incredibly strong to have made it this far. As much as I loathe my existence, I am proud that I have survived this long. Hence my forum title.

Just know that I'm thinking about you, and I hope things get better. I'm not good at this whole "communication" thing, but my PM box is open if you ever want to chat, or vent, or just yell at me.
Sage103082: I am tired. I am burned out. I am alone.. I am not sure I can keep my head up anymore.

I am tired of the hate, the petty bullshit, the drama.

I am done being walked on.
*huuuuugs, lots and lots of hugs!*

I am so sorry that you are feeling so tired, Sage. If you need anything at all, let me know. Like maybe a pound puppy or teddy ruxpin ;)
Tekkaman-James: jumper madness
Thanks for the story. Between starting my own car and assisting others, I jump start a few cars a year. It's good to be reminded I need to be safe about it, as it's easy to grow comfortably incautious.

If the other driver is keen to help, like you, I watch carefully and let them. But if they screw up the connection order or placement (and your fellow motorist did both) I insist on doing it myself. (Even if it makes me sound stiff.)

Quick thinking on your part-- and I'm happy to hear your hands are doing well.

edit:
Just wanted to make clear I'm not suggesting you were incautious. I can't identify what caused the fault, either. I agree with you though, it sounds like a short. Perhaps his cables were garbage? Many are.
Post edited November 27, 2014 by grimwerk
Sage103082: I am tired. I am burned out. I am alone.. I am not sure I can keep my head up anymore.

Correct. Correct. Incorrect. Incorrect (but you are the best judge of that).

Correct, correct, correct.

Correct, but don't stop walking :)
HereForTheBeer: Not great news on Oscar. The vet says if we do nothing it's about 2-6 months. If we do palliative care that might stretch it out to a year. We can also try a four-week radiation treatment to shrink the tumor, and then perform surgery to remove as much as possible. There could also be some follow-up chemo. Slim chance that this last would 'cure' it, but cancer would more than likely make a reappearance sometime down the road. If we go with surgery, he would end up losing his right front leg since it's spreading into the areas of the shoulder joint. Very expensive option.

We're going back the the UW early Friday to get a KittyCATscan. This should tell us whether or not it hit the lymph node or lungs. If it did then we'll just do the palliative treatment. Not sure what to do if it hasn't spread to the bad areas. I think he'll be fine missing the leg but a reappearance of tumors will always be looming on the horizon.

----------

Soccorro: i have never been able to understand the concept of a jury. who thought it would be a good idea to leave such decisions to uneducated people!?
HereForTheBeer: "Of the people, by the people, for the people." The idea being of getting those people who don't live in the ivory towers of the government justice system to be the ones looking at the charges. The criminals and victims theoretically come from situations like you and me, so you and me are in a decent position to look at the case from the eyes of those directly involved. The jury members are probably closer to the day-to-day realities of the accused and the victims than are the attorneys and judges.
Not all educated people live in ivory towers. Maybe some hundreds of years ago, only the middle class and high class could educate themselves but today, even a homeless person can educate himself or herself. Educated simply means not ignorant and there are all kinds of educated people. There are educated people from all races, classes etc. I see no benefit from having a jury of ignorant people. I see no benefit from having a jury of people who have never left their small little town and watch stupid TV shows 24/7. Just like I see no benefit from having a jury of people who let emotions rule their minds. Such a jury is not only useless but dangerous. And this world is populated by a lot of stupid people. These people obviously should be exempt from jury duty but they are not. A jury "of the people, by the people, for the people" sounds nice on paper and would work in the perfect world but in the real world, it's an epic fail.

Never take shit from people without making them pay for their insolence. Bending over and taking it all the time from people might buy you some peace but it also buys you a slow death. Wise words from the movie Highlander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOKsOveYD0

Happy Thanksgiving!
Post edited November 27, 2014 by monkeydelarge

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling tired and alone. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug and tell you what a wonderful person you are. I don't know how anyone could treat such a sweet person like you poorly. You are one of the strongest, wonderful, kind and loving person I have ever met.

I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, even if it's just to yell at or vent to. I know you must be going through so much, and that it can take it toll. But you are a incredible woman and I hope that things will be okay.
Beaten with the racism stick again. Doesn't happen terribly often - most FInns either don't notice that I'm only half Finn, or they don't mind, or they notice and do mind but keep it to themselves - but it always ruins my day when it does.
AlKim: Beaten with the racism stick again. Doesn't happen terribly often - most FInns either don't notice that I'm only half Finn, or they don't mind, or they notice and do mind but keep it to themselves - but it always ruins my day when it does.
ow yep that feels terrible. half finnish, half ...?
What's up with all those hugs lately? They are spreading like a virus.
AdamR: I'm not going to say any BS like "I know how you feel." Because nobody knows exactly how others feel, and what they have to go through.
And unfortunately, I don't have any good advice to give. Except... just hang in there.

Depression in an evil fucking beast. Not much is worse than your own brain turning against you. It doesn't make any sense, and it isn't fair. But I believe people who suffer with it (and similar problems) are the strongest people in the world.
For me, that belief is kinda what keeps me going. Even though I feel weak and pathetic most of the time, I realize that I am incredibly strong to have made it this far. As much as I loathe my existence, I am proud that I have survived this long. Hence my forum title.

Just know that I'm thinking about you, and I hope things get better. I'm not good at this whole "communication" thing, but my PM box is open if you ever want to chat, or vent, or just yell at me.
For someone who is not good at this whole "communication thing" as you stated, you delivered that message beautifully :)
grimwerk: Thanks for the story.
[snip]
Quick thinking on your part-- and I'm happy to hear your hands are doing well.
[snip]
Just wanted to make clear I'm not suggesting you were incautious.
[snip]
Perhaps his cables were garbage? Many are.
Thanks for the reply. My hands are doing very well. Only one of the many burns was more than superficial, but it too is healing quickly. Your sentiment did not making me think you were implying anything negative, so don't worry. The other driver claimed they bought the cables that day, but that certainly doesn't mean they weren't poorly made and/or defective.

Thanks for taking my tale as a cautionary one. I will certainly be much more attentive and alert the next time I have to do this.
To all those who have issues with depression and anxiety, all I can suggest is that you keep your mind occupied with other things. I've had to deal with depression and anxiety since my teens and programming has been my saving grace; sitting in front of a computer writing code is like retreating into another world for me and it helps my mental state in a big way. As corny as it sounds, find that special place that brings you some amount of peace, if only temporary. Well, it works for me anyway.

Chin up! your fighters, all of you.
qux: To all those who have issues with depression and anxiety, all I can suggest is that you keep your mind occupied with other things. I've had to deal with depression and anxiety since my teens and programming has been my saving grace; sitting in front of a computer writing code is like retreating into another world for me and it helps my mental state in a big way. As corny as it sounds, find that special place that brings you some amount of peace, if only temporary. Well, it works for me anyway.

Chin up! your fighters, all of you.
Yep I have found out, that reading helps a lot. H.P. Lovecraft... aaahhh yes, The Cthulhu Universe...