It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SpooferJahk: This is not so much a bitching post because everything is going good for me to some extent, but more or less me voicing concern about my life right now...

I just graduated from my local community college with an associates in arts and science degree as a start for something bigger. I plan on going to a bigger and better school in the future though that won't happen until I can fork over the money for it and decide on what I want to do. Currently, I plan on working for quite some time to build up enough currency so I can move on and to kind of start my life since it was so hollow before and after college. This is where my concerns come in, I didn't work at all during my time in college because I used this time to fight some nasty demons that were disturbing me since my days in high school. At the end of high school, I was a very angry, bitter, socially awkward person who honestly didn't give a crap about anything. The angry, bitter, and not caring part is gone but I am still very socially awkward thanks to many different factors.

What is bothering me is that, will I be able to make friends and have a relationship in the future and near future? I mean, people honestly scare the living daylights out of me because I am afraid that any action I do will set off some sort of alarm that will make them just blast me to oblivion. It's almost like my mind is set to a 1984 mode where I am afraid that if I do something wrong, I will get canned because I didn't follow a proper procedure. This whole mindset is because of a couple of things, throughout my schooling before college I was bullied frequently and I was never able to get help from anyone. All I was told was to ignore it, despite it being both physical and mental abuse. I was frequently labeled as a fag and got bitch slapped, shoved into stuff, kicked in the shins, and my property destroyed. The other factor was that I was friends with a guy that I used to consider my best friend, but the thing is though is that he hated it when I was being myself the whole time I was friends with him.

This guy HATED it when I would bring up what if scenarios, talk about things he is not familiar with, laugh at stuff that is stupid (I couldn't admit to liking Family Guy or American Dad in front of him without him snapping at me for liking idiotic crap), and getting him to try new things. It also didn't help that he was a general asshole to me by implying that anything I did was wrong and would avoid talking to me because he was annoyed of the stuff I did, despite it not being anything bad. This has got me into this position where I am afraid to even be myself in front of anyone even if they don't care what I am doing. When someone walks into the room where I am doing something, I stop being afraid that I will be yelled and raged at for doing something. A good example is when I am listening to music, I must shut it off if someone comes near the room I am playing it in because I am afraid of them lashing out at me for listening to something that they do not approve of. This affected me because this was all done by someone that I thought at the time cared about me and generally enjoyed my presence, and to find out that all I did was just a nuisance to him just affected myself psychologically being permanently afraid of being myself in front of anyone, even if they truly cared about me.

As a result of this, I have not made any new friends outside of two that I was friends with before but wasn't really being a good friend to because of that guy I mentioned earlier. I have yet to have a girlfriend because I honestly don't know where to start and I am afraid that showing who I am will just make every female scoff and beat me for trying to even be friendly to them. I also get that same feeling when I talk to males as well, feeling like if I were to try and be friends with them it will all end in disaster since I don't know how to initiate a conversation without it ending in awkwardness. I have been getting slightly better at overcoming this problem thanks to breaking off ties with that friend I mentioned earlier, but I still have that problem and I can't say I know how to properly fix it. I would seek counseling but after a disaster with a counselor in high school trying to get me into Child Protective Services because of a meltdown from stress, I can't trust any form of psychological help at all and have yet to be convinced that going to seek it will result in everything getting better.

Ok this post did involve me getting a bit bitchy and emo. Sorry for the long post but I just had to spill this out somewhere and I feel that the GOG community will probably respond to it better than anyone else, I hope.
it kind of depends on what kind of girl you want to be with - you have a choice to make you know? no girl wants to be "just anybody" although ironically most girls try to act as inconspicuously as possible.
did you ever consider that a lot of girls are just unbelievable insecure? that's why they tend to fell for dickheads, cos most dickheads behave like they have no problems with self esteem and that's attractive to girls. they want some of that cos they don't have it.
notice also how most guys are happy to play around to just get laid. girls especially sensitive, emotional girls, are easy to play, so most females will have a history of feeling like they've been treated like shit, and they may well have convinced themselves they deserve no better.
it's an evil circle. but i support the thought that you need to Work up your self esteem. after all you've got a lot to be proud of, you've shown determination, a will to carry Things through, to banish the demons from your life. yousound like a right on guy, and you should believe in yourself enough to not be afraid of girls, even if there is bound to be moments of awkward silence, think of those moments as getting you closer to the other person. if you can endure an awkward silence with someone, then you have what is called "a moment"...
Hawk52: Not a good day overall.

I went to my doctor to talk about my depression medication and other issues. Of note, was I woke up a few weeks ago with temporary blindness in my left eye. This concerned me.

I came out finding that in eight months, I've somehow gained A HUNDRED POUNDS, and my blood pressure has skyrocketed up to dangerous levels. What happened? Hell if I know, nothing has changed that I'm aware of. I'm being put on new medication, and they strongly urged me to keep in regular contact.

And if that wasn't enough, when I got home, I dislocated my patella sending me screaming down to the ground in horrible pain and am back to walking with a limp and a major sad frown.
have you been screened for diabetes? that would explain the symptoms you describe
I think I have the flu, shit! The flu while not quite as severe can be just as debilitating as cancer. On the plus side I have an excuse to avoid the B&B guest for a few days. :D

My luck the B&B guest the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games.
Post edited June 15, 2013 by tinyE
tinyE: I think I have the flu, shit! The flu while not quite as severe can be just as debilitating as cancer. On the plus side I have an excuse to avoid the B&B guest for a few days. :D

My luck the B&B guest the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games.
Nevermind, I read your post wrong. I thought you said the B&B guesst the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games.
Post edited June 15, 2013 by langurmonkey
tinyE: I think I have the flu, shit! The flu while not quite as severe can be just as debilitating as cancer. On the plus side I have an excuse to avoid the B&B guest for a few days. :D

langurmonkey: You are joking yes? If not, I feel sorry for you.
I don't think so, about the flu anyway. The cancer comment not really joking either. At least when I was on chemo I was loaded all the time; you can't really do that with the flu. Well you could but it would look bad. :P
langurmonkey: You are joking yes? If not, I feel sorry for you.
tinyE: I don't think so, about the flu anyway. The cancer comment not really joking either. At least when I was on chemo I was loaded all the time; you can't really do that with the flu. Well you could but it would look bad. :P
Nevermind, I read your post wrong. I thought you said the B&B guests the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games. Don't worry man, the guests will probably be a married old couple.
Post edited June 15, 2013 by langurmonkey
tinyE: I don't think so, about the flu anyway. The cancer comment not really joking either. At least when I was on chemo I was loaded all the time; you can't really do that with the flu. Well you could but it would look bad. :P
langurmonkey: Nevermind, I read your post wrong. I thought you said the B&B guests the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games. Don't worry man, the guests will probably be a married old couple.
Your missread made me laugh which right now is the best medicine. Thanks. :D

I'm going to curl up and try to sleep this thing off. Later.
langurmonkey: Nevermind, I read your post wrong. I thought you said the B&B guests the next few days are going to be a pair of curvy nymphos who crave wild hot sex with dorks who love the Settlers games. Don't worry man, the guests will probably be a married old couple.
tinyE: Your missread made me laugh which right now is the best medicine. Thanks. :D

I'm going to curl up and try to sleep this thing off. Later.
I'm glad I did something that helped your situation. Later.
SpooferJahk: ...I couldn't admit to liking Family Guy or American Dad in front of him without him snapping at me for liking idiotic crap...
What the hell man! I think the real dork was your so called friend. Not liking Family Guy! What the hell!
I tend to avoid people like that myself. Eventually you just say fuck it, I am who I am, and I don't care what people think. You'll get there, and there are a lot of women out there that like us misunderstood dorks. Just try flirting here and there with a smile. It doesn't matter what the girl looks like. After you practice the flirt down it gets a lot easier, and eventually you will get a surprise flirt back. It may be from a girl you have no interest in, but don't let that stop you from continuing to flirt. Not only will it give you more self-confidence, but it will give the girl your not interested in some self-confidence.
Not sure what music, you enjoy, but it doesn't matter if it's Bieber. Whatever you like, own it man. I always got a kick out of the young kids riding in their cars playing eminem or whatever hip hop was trendy with their trunks rattling. I'd turn on 'Kill Em All or even Cannibal Corpse and blow their lousy little subs away. The looks I'd get with CC playing was priceless.
Hawk52: Not a good day overall.

I went to my doctor to talk about my depression medication and other issues. Of note, was I woke up a few weeks ago with temporary blindness in my left eye. This concerned me.
I2: have you been screened for diabetes? that would explain the symptoms you describe
Yeah, the temp blindness my brother had one day, and he stayed overnight in the hospital and is now diagnosed with some form of diabetes. They had a real hard time getting his blood sugar to the right level. Keep on top of that stuff man. I'm hitting 40 this year, and the last time I saw a physician was probably 5 years ago. 40 is the year I start to have annual visits, at least that's what I like to tell myself.
Post edited June 15, 2013 by jjsimp

Get some sleep, and get well. I'm sure you can peek out your bedroom window at your guests to make sure there are no nymphos running around. Of course, you may freak them out going Norman Bates on them.
jjsimp: What the hell man! I think the real dork was your so called friend. Not liking Family Guy! What the hell!
I think it was after that one South Park episode, which made fun of the Family Guy series, where people became afraid to let the world know they like the series.

I think what we need is a Family Guy Pride marches, to regain people's self-esteem.
SpooferJahk: This is not so much a bitching post because everything is going good for me to some extent, but more or less me voicing concern about my life right now...
Been there... I've gotten the advice to "just ignore them" when being bullied myself. Obviously this just expresses that the person who gives out such advices has no real solution themselves. In my case this left me with some pretty misanthropic world view in the end.

Both the kids who bullied you and your "friend" have hurt your self esteem pretty bad and your first priority should be to recover from that. Looks like you are on your way to this recovery already as you severed contact with this "friend". Now you probably think about why this happened to you and the answer may be that you are "different". Bullying seems to be some social phenomena that happens when one group of people subconsciously decides to single out and get rid of "the weakest" one to somehow enhance the strength of the group as a whole. The subconscious part is the thing to take note of. I'm pretty sure none of the persons that hit on you may be able to give a solid reason for their actions. Most will probably say that it wasn't correct of them doing it.
I don't want to imply that it is your fault for being hit on. It is not. They are guilty without a question. But for you to finally deal with this whole complex it may be a good idea to identify your "otherness" and accept it as a genuine personality trait of yours.

Think about whether you may borderline Asperger's or if you are just introverted or if it is even some other thing that singled you out. For the introverted among us it is good to know that about 50% of all humanity are introverted and that this is absolutely no flaw. There are solid resources in the net for introverted people that give advice on how to accept ones introversion even if society suggests that we should "overcome" our failures.

On the topic of friends and girlfriends I would suggest that you at first (re-)grow some self esteem before you open yourself up to new people. There's always the possibility of getting burned and with your self esteem on it's current level this could throw you in some circles of depression.
When I've been in a similar situation I started to find new peers to talk to online. It was the high time of IRC and bulletin boards. I didn't realize it immediately but over the course of a few years I've grown to be an integral part of pretty large online community and I even called people my friends who I never met in real life. The thing is that for us "awkward people" it's simpler to express our thoughts in well written forum posts instead of the hectic face-to-face discussions.

On another note. Try to think about whether you understand "social norms" and their unwritten rules. I know I don't and that bothered me for the larger part of my life. I came to accept my awkwardness. Most people just see me as an arrogant guy as I finally don't have to openly show my inability to tell which greeting phrase may be appropriate and who to greet on what time. As I've grown older I somehow blended out of society. I don't get recognized as much as others but on the other hand I seem to be equally invisible to people with bad intents.
Post edited June 16, 2013 by itti
itti: On the topic of friends and girlfriends I would suggest that you at first (re-)grow some self esteem before you open yourself up to new people. There's always the possibility of getting burned and with your self esteem on it's current level this could throw you in some circles of depression.
When I've been in a similar situation I started to find new peers to talk to online. It was the high time of IRC and bulletin boards. I didn't realize it immediately but over the course of a few years I've grown to be an integral part of pretty large online community and I even called people my friends who I never met in real life. The thing is that for us "awkward people" it's simpler to express our thoughts in well written forum posts instead of the hectic face-to-face discussions.
Yeah, I agree 100%. He shouldn't be thinking about girlfriends until he grows a strong self esteem. If not, the consequences can be very horrible for him and maybe horrible for others too. A person with no self esteem is simply not ready for that kind of stuff. One needs to crawl before walking. One needs to walk before running. You can't just go from crawling to running.

SpooferJahk: ...I couldn't admit to liking Family Guy or American Dad in front of him without him snapping at me for liking idiotic crap...
jjsimp: What the hell man! I think the real dork was your so called friend. Not liking Family Guy! What the hell!
I tend to avoid people like that myself. Eventually you just say fuck it, I am who I am, and I don't care what people think. You'll get there, and there are a lot of women out there that like us misunderstood dorks. Just try flirting here and there with a smile. It doesn't matter what the girl looks like. After you practice the flirt down it gets a lot easier, and eventually you will get a surprise flirt back. It may be from a girl you have no interest in, but don't let that stop you from continuing to flirt. Not only will it give you more self-confidence, but it will give the girl your not interested in some self-confidence.
Not sure what music, you enjoy, but it doesn't matter if it's Bieber. Whatever you like, own it man. I always got a kick out of the young kids riding in their cars playing eminem or whatever hip hop was trendy with their trunks rattling. I'd turn on 'Kill Em All or even Cannibal Corpse and blow their lousy little subs away. The looks I'd get with CC playing was priceless.
I2: have you been screened for diabetes? that would explain the symptoms you describe
jjsimp: Yeah, the temp blindness my brother had one day, and he stayed overnight in the hospital and is now diagnosed with some form of diabetes. They had a real hard time getting his blood sugar to the right level. Keep on top of that stuff man. I'm hitting 40 this year, and the last time I saw a physician was probably 5 years ago. 40 is the year I start to have annual visits, at least that's what I like to tell myself.
Nothing wrong with not liking Family Guy... I personally find Family Guy extremely entertaining but not liking the show doesn't make someone a bad person.
Post edited June 16, 2013 by langurmonkey
I heard you can get Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 on 3DS. Now I want a 3DS just for that. It's too expensive just for that, though.
This is the soundtrack to my sadness.
Not so much bitching as it is a question: I want to learn to draw, but one of my reasons for doing so is rule 34. Does this make me a bad person, am I wanting to learn for the wrong reasons?