It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It always seems to be dark like night in the world of Deus Ex...

*looks out of the window*

So homely!
Attachments:
deusex.jpg (417 Kb)
Post edited January 25, 2018 by timppu
Matewis: A bit of friendly plunder
Dejavous: Wait?!?! the Romans had M-16's and fatigues?!?
and nukes, lots and lots of nukes
timppu: ...
Awesome! Can't wait to play this game (queued for a while)! Do you use any mods perhaps?
ciemnogrodzianin: Awesome! Can't wait to play this game (queued for a while)! Do you use any mods perhaps?
Yeah I installed the GMDX mod on top of the GOG version, as I saw so many people recommend it on the Deus Ex subforum, calling it the best and definite Deus Ex mod that still is faithful to the original (apparently meaning that doesn't really change the game, besides fixing bugs and improving the graphics somewhat; so not like that Redux mod for Fallout Tactics that replaced many weapons and some other items, replaced companions, changed the difficulty levels to harder etc.).

However, it was some earlier GOG version on top of which I installed GMDX. It seems nowadays there's some other mod (Revision?) included with the GOG version, so I am unsure if GMDX can just as easily be installed on top of the Revision version of the game?

The main reason I looked for a mod was that the vanilla GOG Deus Ex (which I downloaded several months ago) didn't run correctly on my PC, severe graphics errors already in menus, making the game unplayable. So I needed to use some mod, and went with GMDX instead of Revision. I guess that is why nowadays GOG is also including that Revision mod, so that the game works ok on modern computers out of the box.

I first had some "problems" with the GMDX mod, mainly that all the text and user-interface icons were far too small if I changed the resolution to 1280x720 or higher within the game, and also some default colors in the user interface made some text even harder to read, like tiny dark red text on grey background.

However:

- There are options within the game to change the user-interface colors, so I did that, which already made the text more readable (but still too tiny).

- Then I noticed that if I changed the game resolution from the GMDX launcher, and not within the game options while the game is running, then the text would be scaled well to higher resolutions, and there is even an option within the GMDX launcher to zoom the user interface and text if you want them even bigger (but that was not necessary for me).

So I was earlier ready to play the game in 800x600 or even 640x480 resolution just in order to read the text easily, but after finding that one out, I am now happily running it in 1920x1080 resolution, with everything crisp and clear and text quite readable, even the logs with smaller text.

Yeah my eyes are not as sharp as before. I've always had a bit of "vision" even when I was young (ie. I can see sharp far away, but reading small text near not as much) but I've done without glasses up until now. Now I'd really need to invest on reading glasses at last, I guess. Or maybe a monocle, that should raise interest among others!
Post edited January 25, 2018 by timppu
This poor guy must be the butt of all jokes.
Attachments:
hehehe.png (184 Kb)
Pandora.
Attachments:
Vythonaut: Can you elaborate, please?
ciemnogrodzianin: Just a lot of nice screenshots from flight simulator made me think you're a fan of flying :)
Oh, yes i am indeed; hopefully i'll be able to log some civilian flight time sometime later, but for now i have some races to attend to. :) But here are some older favourite flying pictures from MSFS2004:
Attachments:
Vythonaut: ...
Wonderful! :)
By the way - do we have (here, on GOG) anything interesting in flight simulators category? Something rather casual than hardcore? ;) For someone fascinated with screenshots like these?

I'm driving ETS2 sometimes for the sake of easy relax, but looking at these screenshots I think it's a bit... well... earthbound?
Attachments:
Pew pew.
Attachments:
da_power.jpg (215 Kb)
no_mercy.jpg (194 Kb)
lanipcga: This poor guy must be the butt of all jokes.
I've always been intrigued by this game - how is the AI and general challenge compared to homm3?
Matewis: I've always been intrigued by this game - how is the AI and general challenge compared to homm3?
I love Lords of Magic, but it comes with a tricky learning curve. It's not nearly as accessible or intuitive as HOMM3, as there are certain core objectives and strategies that must be grasped in order to succeed. For example, you cannot hope to gain wealth, recruit armies, or research spells unless you liberate your Great Temple fairly early on. The first couple of game weeks can be challenging since you need to make the most out of a small party of troops (and any expensive mercenaries you can afford to hire). The real-time combat is also very unforgiving unless you learn how to keep your troops alive. Even your well-armored melee units will die quickly to enemy swarms, so instructing them to "parry" (similar to HOMM3's "defend" feature) will make them stand their ground and gain an important defensive bonus. Without using "parry" throughout the game, you'll get crushed. The AI is nothing special, so it's really the brutal combat mechanics that pose the most difficulty. Once you nail all the basics, Lords of Magic becomes very fun and immersive. It's probably not up to HOMM3's standard, but it's still a game I keep on returning to.
I wanted to take a screenshot of Ultima 9 but the picture is just black. why is that??
actually not the first game with that problem.
Post edited January 26, 2018 by springtoiffel
How many torpedoes will hit their target? Find the answer in the 2nd screenshot! (Atlantic Fleet) :)

Vythonaut: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Wonderful! :)
By the way - do we have (here, on GOG) anything interesting in flight simulators category? Something rather casual than hardcore? ;) For someone fascinated with screenshots like these?

I'm driving ETS2 sometimes for the sake of easy relax, but looking at these screenshots I think it's a bit... well... earthbound?
There are several interesting flight sims on GOG, but all of them are of the military kind so don't expect to be able to admire the scenery, at least not while you're dogfighting or evading missiles. Oh, and no relax time in those games either! Of course you could set up a custom mission in Falcon BMS and just fly around while admiring the scenery(-ies, if you take the time to download the extra theatres available), but it won't be anything like a civilian flight sim on the account.

If i'm allowed to suggest a non-GOG game for those relaxing gaming sessions, i'd suggest a game from the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, such as FS2004(FS9) or FSX(there's a demo available --> [url=https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXTrialVersion.aspx)https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXTrialVersion.aspx)[/i[/url]]. The only problem is that both require a fair amount of tweaking/addons to make them more beautiful (as in my screenshots) and that may translate to a significant amount of time searching for them (i can post a quick guide to help you if you're interested though). Other than that, don't feel intimidated if you don't have any prior experience in flight sims, since apart from the more complex airliners or the unstable vintage planes, there are many beginner-friendly single-engine airplanes to start with, such as Cessna 172 or the Piper Cub. Having said that, FS9 is also much cheaper than FSX, unless you opt for the steam version of the latter.
Attachments:
Post edited January 26, 2018 by Vythonaut
Matewis: I've always been intrigued by this game - how is the AI and general challenge compared to homm3?
lanipcga: I love Lords of Magic, but it comes with a tricky learning curve. It's not nearly as accessible or intuitive as HOMM3, as there are certain core objectives and strategies that must be grasped in order to succeed. For example, you cannot hope to gain wealth, recruit armies, or research spells unless you liberate your Great Temple fairly early on. The first couple of game weeks can be challenging since you need to make the most out of a small party of troops (and any expensive mercenaries you can afford to hire). The real-time combat is also very unforgiving unless you learn how to keep your troops alive. Even your well-armored melee units will die quickly to enemy swarms, so instructing them to "parry" (similar to HOMM3's "defend" feature) will make them stand their ground and gain an important defensive bonus. Without using "parry" throughout the game, you'll get crushed. The AI is nothing special, so it's really the brutal combat mechanics that pose the most difficulty. Once you nail all the basics, Lords of Magic becomes very fun and immersive. It's probably not up to HOMM3's standard, but it's still a game I keep on returning to.
That sounds very good to me thank you - perhaps for one day after I've somehow managed to finish HoMM3 :P
By the way, do you know anything about the concern raised by the top reviewr on the Lords of Magic page?