It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: Ditto. Been using offline mode for two years now. NEVER one problem.
MarkoH01: But you still will be dependent on the Steam client and maybe one day offline mnode won't work anymore - maybe after an update or reinstall. I still prefer my games to be runnable without any client at all.
No one is arguing Steam isn't DRM when they share their experience with offline mode. I get that every time I mention my successful use of offline mode. "Yeah but it's still DRM dude!!!" Yes, I know that. Thanks.
MarkoH01: But you still will be dependent on the Steam client and maybe one day offline mnode won't work anymore - maybe after an update or reinstall. I still prefer my games to be runnable without any client at all.
StingingVelvet: No one is arguing Steam isn't DRM when they share their experience with offline mode. I get that every time I mention my successful use of offline mode. "Yeah but it's still DRM dude!!!" Yes, I know that. Thanks.
I did not even mention "DRM" in my reply. Makes me wonder why you quoted me.
Okay, we're all caught up, and with a bunch of personal happiness from me this time when I got to this post:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/steam_games_you_can_play_without_the_steam_client/post888

When I was a kid, you used to be able to buy shareware floppy disk games at the local dollar store. I remember buying at least one every time I had been given my allowance, and one of them I picked up was Eternam. I was just thinking about this game not too long ago, but for the life of me, I had NO IDEA what it was called. I combed the internet, I posted in forums, I tried everything I could to get someone to point me in the right direction; I literally lost sleep over trying to figure out the title. Lo and behold, here it is, and not only available on Steam, but DRM-free, to boot. I will sleep well tonight.
StingingVelvet: No one is arguing Steam isn't DRM when they share their experience with offline mode. I get that every time I mention my successful use of offline mode. "Yeah but it's still DRM dude!!!" Yes, I know that. Thanks.
MarkoH01: I did not even mention "DRM" in my reply. Makes me wonder why you quoted me.
You know what I meant but be purposely ignorant if you want.
StingingVelvet: You know what I meant but be purposely ignorant if you want.
Dude, the thread is called "Steam games you can play without the Steam client". Get it? N-O-C-L-I-E-N-T. Why should it matter whether it's in offline or online mode?

Good for all of you for whom Steam's offline mode works so well, but it is completely irrelevant for all the intents and purposes of this thread. There was no point to bring it up.
muntdefems: Dude, the thread is called "Steam games you can play without the Steam client". Get it? N-O-C-L-I-E-N-T. Why should it matter whether it's in offline or online mode?

Good for all of you for whom Steam's offline mode works so well, but it is completely irrelevant for all the intents and purposes of this thread. There was no point to bring it up.
If you scroll up you'll see I was responding to other people's comments about offline mode. They said some things about offline mode that I thought my experience with it would help with. I don't need to be told the point of the thread in such an annoying way, thanks. I'm not a believer in "OMG NEVER GO OFF TOPIC FOR A MOMENT," nor is this a heavily moderated forum that is anal about such things.
StingingVelvet: I'm not a believer in "OMG NEVER GO OFF TOPIC FOR A MOMENT," nor is this a heavily moderated forum that is anal about such things.
You're right, I take back the "There was no point to bring it up" bit, sorry. I enjoy a good OT as much as the next person. But this doesn't change the fact that the whole 'offline mode' digression was off-topic in this thread. No wonder that sooner or later some regular responded to it pointing out that the offline mode is not really a solution for those who want their games completely de-attached of any client.

And I'm pretty sure MarkoH01 purposefully avoided using the 'D-word' in his reply. For the same reason it isn't used in this thread's title and it is used with a lot of reservations in the OP: in order to avoid sterile arguments in the lines of:

"But XXX is DRM!!!"
"No, it isn't! YYY is DRM!!!"
"Something you don't like isn't automatically DRM!!!"
"Yo mama is DRM!!!"
Etc, etc...
muntdefems: Etc, etc...
Fair enough, thanks for the understanding reply. I'm probably a little... irritable, let's say... on this forum lately, because the endless puritanism on certain topics drives me up the wall. Maybe I brought that into this thread a bit. I was just trying to tell some others offline mode worked for me for quite a while.

But yes, this thread is about removing the client altogether and let's get back to that.
StingingVelvet: Fair enough, thanks for the understanding reply. I'm probably a little... irritable, let's say... on this forum lately, because the endless puritanism on certain topics drives me up the wall. Maybe I brought that into this thread a bit. I was just trying to tell some others offline mode worked for me for quite a while.
It's OK, no hard feelings. My first reply wasn't completely devoid of irritability either. :P

StingingVelvet: But yes, this thread is about removing the client altogether and let's get back to that.
Let's get to it! *rolls sleeves up*
MarkoH01: I did not even mention "DRM" in my reply. Makes me wonder why you quoted me.
StingingVelvet: You know what I meant but be purposely ignorant if you want.
I did not want to offend you with my reply (if I did I apologize) and I also did not want to be ignorant on purpose. My question was genuine since I was wondering if you really wanted to quote me or another one.

I completely understood that for manyy offline mode is useful and for them it also means they are independent enough and I am fine with it - those probably don't need this list at all. I just added that you would still be more or less dependent on the client so for those of us who wanted to be completely independent offline mode alone won't be the solution. I don't care if some call Steam DRM or not I don't even care about the different definitions of "DRM" - I just want to enjoy the freedom to start my games whenever I want without any client at all. That is why I find this list so useful.
Groupees Remute XX Dos Nostalgia Bundle

Tested on Windows 8.1 - they all work fine without Steam except Noctropolis.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb
Madspace: To Hell and Beyond
Space Rogue Classic
Timelapse
Starship Titanic
Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri
The Labyrinth of Time
Z.A.R.

Good Bundle for $2.86
Heretic777: Groupees Remute XX Dos Nostalgia Bundle

Space Rogue Classic
Timelapse
Starship Titanic
The Labyrinth of Time
Z.A.R.

Good Bundle for $2.86
Please mention which among them are using DOSBox so pedrovay can add them to the relevant section.
Post edited July 24, 2018 by Grargar
Grargar: Please mention which among them are using DOSBox so pedrovay can add them to the relevant section.
Starship Titanic uses ScummVM v2.0, or at least the Linux version does.

Apart from that, here's a couple more games I've recently tested (all of them worked out of the box, unless noted otherwise).

1) Games not yet on the Wiki, and tested on Linux:

· A Trip to Yugoslavia: Director's Cut

· Alien Arena: Warriors Of Mars (only tested the offline mode with bots)

· Candle

· Holy Potatoes! What the Hell?!: needed the "steam_appid.txt trick" (664320)

· Princess Isabella: The Rise of an Heir: needed the "steam_appid.txt trick" (466490)

· SKYHILL: needed the "steam_appid.txt trick" (382140)

· SkyTime: needed the "steam_appid.txt trick" (513620). It only works in windowed mode, and even then it auto-sets to 854x480 no matter the resolution you choose. :\

· SweatShop

2) Games not yet on the Wiki, and tested on Linux with Wine set up as Windows 7:

· DreamBreak

· Mainlining

3) Game already on the Wiki, and confirmed on Linux:

· Slime-san: Superslime Edition: needed the "steam_appid.txt trick" (473530)
Heretic777: Groupees Remute XX Dos Nostalgia Bundle

Space Rogue Classic
Timelapse
Starship Titanic
The Labyrinth of Time
Z.A.R.

Good Bundle for $2.86
Grargar: Please mention which among them are using DOSBox so pedrovay can add them to the relevant section.
I ended up buying the bundle myself and tested the games on Linux. I can confirm that, as Heretic777 said, all games work fine out of the box without the Steam client, with the exception of Noctropolis (well, I couldn't get Time Lapse to work with Wine, so I'll just take Heretic's word for it :P).

As for making pedrovay's life a little easier, here's the details about the games:

1) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream and the aforementioned Starship Titanic use ScummVM v2.0

2) MadSpace: To Hell and Beyond, Space Rogue Classic, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, and Z.A.R., all of them use DOSBox v0.74

3) Finally, Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb and The Labyrinth of Time seem to be native Linux ports.
muntdefems: 1) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream and the aforementioned Starship Titanic use ScummVM v2.0
What a pity that the GOG version of Starrship Titanic is not using ScummVM 2.0 as well yet :(