It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

vidsgame: The Linux version is 52gb vs 20gb for the Windows version. What's going on here? I have no idea.
Hmmm... looks like a case of sloppy depot configuration by the devs. As you can see there, depot#25002 should probably be marked only for Windows, but as it is it will be downloaded when you install the game on Linux too. Plus, for some reason the client must download and install both the 32-bit (depot#25001) and 64-bit (depot#25004) versions. You should probably be OK by only downloading either of the latter two. It can be easily done by using the SteamCMD client (the one we discussed recently with mike_cesara).

vidsgame: Anyway, yes it's really odd but there is a case. I bought Megabyte Punch thinking it could run on Windows back when I only ran Windows. On the list it says it's client free on Linux but apparently the Windows version is unable to start without Steam.
Oh, that sucks. It was me who reported the game working fine on Linux. I would hate it if I picked up a game confirmed on Windows, only to find that it doesn't work on Linux... :\
I see that Dungeon Siege I and II are on the list - does anyone know if Dungeon Siege III can be played without Steam too? Thanks.
muntdefems: More Linux games that worked out of the box without the client:
· POSTAL Redux
Also true for Windows (tested on Windows 10).
Pajama: I see that Dungeon Siege I and II are on the list - does anyone know if Dungeon Siege III can be played without Steam too? Thanks.
Just tried, but no, it's not possible.
Post edited June 24, 2018 by Grargar
Just wondering, is there any tool to automatically download and archive the games that don't need the client? Something to get the functionallity of gogrepo but for Steam, I mean.
Grargar: I see that Dungeon Siege I and II are on the list - does anyone know if Dungeon Siege III can be played without Steam too? Thanks.

Just tried, but no, it's not possible.
Oh, what a shame - thanks for taking the time to check it out.
vidsgame: The Linux version is 52gb vs 20gb for the Windows version. What's going on here? I have no idea.
muntdefems: Hmmm... looks like a case of sloppy depot configuration by the devs. As you can see there, depot#25002 should probably be marked only for Windows, but as it is it will be downloaded when you install the game on Linux too. Plus, for some reason the client must download and install both the 32-bit (depot#25001) and 64-bit (depot#25004) versions. You should probably be OK by only downloading either of the latter two. It can be easily done by using the SteamCMD client (the one we discussed recently with mike_cesara).
I downloaded it without. SteamCMD is an option I have explored but my terminal abilities are a bit limited due to the lack of memorization of commands. I mainly copy and paste anything having to do with command lines but I do have it in case of a rainy day.
vidsgame: Anyway, yes it's really odd but there is a case. I bought Megabyte Punch thinking it could run on Windows back when I only ran Windows. On the list it says it's client free on Linux but apparently the Windows version is unable to start without Steam.
muntdefems: Oh, that sucks. It was me who reported the game working fine on Linux. I would hate it if I picked up a game confirmed on Windows, only to find that it doesn't work on Linux... :\
It's fine. I've taken an even worst gamble with Vampyr. For now, I think it requires the client but I should probably test it on a Windows machine to be sure.

Update: It's strange, I'm having trouble even starting the Linux version of Overgrowth even within Steam so it'll take a while before I could get results. Weird because the Windows version seems to run on Wine without problems.

Update 2: Despite me updating Mesa, I'm still having difficulty running this. Anyone else could feel free to test this with Linux but as I've stated before, it most likely will run fine without the client.
Post edited July 06, 2018 by vidsgame
All three edpisodes of "Bear with Me" are runnable just fine without Steam client if you apply the steam_appid.txt (492630) trick. The game is already listed for Linux. I am glad that I confirm it for Windows (tested on 7/64 bit) as well.
Slipstream 5000 -- uses DOSBox and runs without Steam

Tempest: Pirate Action RPG -- worked for me without Steam client after deleting steam_api.dll

Volt -- wordked for me on Windows

All above was tested on Windows XP. They probably works on more recent Windows OSs too.
Quick update:

muntdefems: · Beholder: worked out of the box
Either I didn't pay much attention when I first reported it, or the game now needs the 'steam_appid.txt' trick in order to work without the client.
You can add:-

- Evil Defenders
- Munin

Both were tested in Windows and ran without Steam Client installed both with and without deleting the steam.dll files in the game folders. Zipped them up then unzipped to a different PC that has never had Steam on and both still ran fine. No appid.txt trick needed for either.
Spark the Electric Jester and The Disappearing of Gensokyo (a Touhou game) appear to work fine on Win10, Steam disabled.
Post edited July 05, 2018 by Exceed20XX
I am happy to be able to confirm that The Painscreek Killings runs fine out of the box without any Steam client after it has been installed. Tested on Win 7/64.
PARKAN: The Imperial Chronicles

Runs fine without Steam client. Tested on Windows 8.1
park_84: Just wondering, is there any tool to automatically download and archive the games that don't need the client? Something to get the functionallity of gogrepo but for Steam, I mean.
Considering how big the Steam community is I find a bit surprising not to find an existing tool to do whatever you can think of, but with no replies to the above post I guess that this is the case, right?
park_84: Considering how big the Steam community is I find a bit surprising not to find an existing tool to do whatever you can think of, but with no replies to the above post I guess that this is the case, right?
I'm pretty sure such a tool would exist a long time ago if Valve bothered to make explicitly clear which games need the client and which ones don't. Otherwise, the only way to know which games to download are community efforts like this thread or the Steam Wikia page (which are obviously incomplete and can become obsolete anytime a game receives an update and becomes client-dependant).