It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pedrovay2003: Okay, we're all updated again, including all of the SteamCMD Linux games. :D
Thank you, pedrovay. Appreciate you keeping this wiki up.

I have tried many games including JetSetRadio and it's disheartening to see them tethered with Steam.
pedrovay2003: Okay, we're all updated again, including all of the SteamCMD Linux games. :D
vidsgame: Thank you, pedrovay. Appreciate you keeping this wiki up.

I have tried many games including JetSetRadio and it's disheartening to see them tethered with Steam.
-sigh- Yeah was disappointed in that too. Same with Sonic Adventure 2. Though SA1 DX works at least...
vidsgame: Thank you, pedrovay. Appreciate you keeping this wiki up.

Exceed20XX: -sigh- Yeah was disappointed in that too. Same with Sonic Adventure 2. Though SA1 DX works at least...
I bought many cheap games on the chance they might run without Steam.
Exceed20XX: -sigh- Yeah was disappointed in that too. Same with Sonic Adventure 2. Though SA1 DX works at least...
vidsgame: I bought many cheap games on the chance they might run without Steam.
I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that at least once with all of this database building. xD
vidsgame: I bought many cheap games on the chance they might run without Steam.
Exceed20XX: I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that at least once with all of this database building. xD
Now I know how people with a large Steam collection who discovered GOG afterwards feel.
Fighting Fantasy Classics currently has a free book to check out for everyone. See here.

It runs fine without the Steam client and it's probably safe to assume the same is true for the other books as well.
Geralt_of_Rivia: Fighting Fantasy Classics currently has a free book to check out for everyone. See here.

It runs fine without the Steam client and it's probably safe to assume the same is true for the other books as well.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Windows build. I've just tried the Linux one and, while it doesn't need the Steam client, it:

a) Needs an internet connection in order to download each individual book

and, more importantly, b) Doesn't seem to be able to download the book's illustrations (it gets stuck at "0% downloading").

Is the same true on Windows?
Geralt_of_Rivia: Fighting Fantasy Classics currently has a free book to check out for everyone. See here.

muntdefems: I'm assuming you're talking about the Windows build. I've just tried the Linux one and, while it doesn't need the Steam client, it:

a) Needs an internet connection in order to download each individual book

and, more importantly, b) Doesn't seem to be able to download the book's illustrations (it gets stuck at "0% downloading").

Is the same true on Windows?
Yes, I'm talking about the Windows build. The illustrations seem to be build in there. I firewalled the game as usual but I have also tried to let the game access the internet just to see if there were any changes but there weren't any.

I can't say much about the other books though since I only have the free one. Doesn't SteamCMD download DLCs as well if you have them? Or do you have to download them with the appid of the DLC? I haven't downloaded any DLC with SteamCMD yet so I don't really know.
Geralt_of_Rivia: I can't say much about the other books though since I only have the free one. Doesn't SteamCMD download DLCs as well if you have them? Or do you have to download them with the appid of the DLC? I haven't downloaded any DLC with SteamCMD yet so I don't really know.
It's not that. The free Bloodbones book is not available as a separate DLC, so it cannot be downloaded with SteamCMD.

I've downloaded the Windows version and it works as you say. The thing is that Linux is not (yet?) supported on the store page, and the available build in the Linux depot doesn't include the free gamebook (as one could have guessed judging by the differences in size between depots).
Fortified is currently free on Steam.

The game works fine without the Steam client and can be downloaded with the command line downloader SteamCMD.

Multiplayer probably won't work though without the client.
For those interested. I have tried to run Vampyr without the client with no avail. It's a newly released game.

I've tried the following:

Q: How do you determine if a game or software is launcher-free on Steam?
A: Install the game or software and run it online the first time (this step is important as this finalizes the installation). Shut down Steam and temporarily move all the files in the root Steam
folder somewhere else, and rename/delete Steam.exe to something else temporarily. Locate game folder, find the program launcher .exe and run it. If the game doesn't start, then it requires
the client to be running; if the game starts, the game is launcher free.

Q: I did that, but it still won't work.
A: If you have already tried the above, then try deleting steam_api.dll and SteamworksNative.dll, if present, from that game's folder. NOTE: Some Steam DRM-free games (99 Spirits, War of
Human Tanks) work only when steam_api.dll is present, so delete it only if the game doesn't work with it present.

The second passage seems to be unnecessary since upon searching the game directory, I found no SteamworksNative dll feel free to prove me wrong or find another way to run this without Steam because I would be more than ecstatic.

It most likely will run fine with Wine although, I only tried with a 4th generation Intel CPU with integrated graphics.
Tooth and Tail currently has a free weekend on Steam.

The game also works without the Steam Client and can be downloaded through the Steam command line downloader SteamCMD.

So give it a try if you like RTS games. If you like the game it is currently 60% off here on GOG.
The first Shelter that's on the list works for Windows without the client.

It gives no problems as far as I could see in Wine but I only played for 20 minutes.
I've created a spreadsheet for the currently updated wiki. You could use it to keep track of the games in case they are on sale and any new games that are discovered to be client-free. There are three file formats.

Excel

ODS

PDF
Time to report the shitload of games I've tested recently.

First off, Linux games that work out of the box, or almost (see the included notes):

· Astro Emporia
· Caravan
· ClusterPuck 99
· Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!
· Crunch Time! (delisted from Steam: id 340550)
· Cubot
· Dead Ground
· Deity Quest
· Doodle Mafia (it doesn't require the Steam client, but it does require an internet connection in order to work)
· Doorways: The Underworld
· Downward
· fault - milestone two side:above
· Gunspell - Steam Edition
· ICY: Frostbite Edition
· Idioctopus
· Lara Croft GO
· Lion Quest
· Luna Sky (works after fixing some missing library dependencies)
· Megamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age
· Monochroma
· MouseCraft
· Munin
· Pinstripe
· PUSH
· Razenroth
· Reversion - The Escape (1st Chapter)
· Scrap Garden
· Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition (you need to tell the executable where to find the needed libraries: $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./SRHK_Data/Plugins/x86/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./SRHK)
· SLICE
· SOLITUNE
· Space Farmers
· Splasher
· Steamroll
· Stellar Interface
· Sunrider: Liberation Day
· The Dweller
· The Signal From Tolva
· The Story Goes On
· The Way
· Trackless (it seems unable to save; not sure if a bug or a consequence of running it without the client)
· Trulon: The Shadow Engine
· Tyranny (at least it worked OK during the recent free week-end)
· Unhack: (you need to create a symlink to your local 64bit version of libudev as 'libudev.so.0' and then execute the game by adding the game directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH: $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./nw)
· Vaccine War
· Voyage to Farland
· Yury
Post edited June 17, 2018 by muntdefems