It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

josh72718: No offence taken, friend. Without steam? Do you mean like this
http://www.minijuegos.com/juego/sonic-cd
(it's in spanish, my mother tongue)
MarkoH01: Its simple. Normally steam games require you to have steam running to download AND to run the game. If you run a normal steam game by clicking on the executable without having steam running in the background you will get an error message. So you will have to start steam and log in to your account. However there are some games for which you don't even need to have steam installed after you have downloaded them. You can download the game, store the files wherever you want and then uninstall steam completely.

Long story short: Don't start the steam client, search for the game executable and double click it. If the game is starting and saving/loading you can be pretty sure that it belongs on this list. If you want to be 100% sure try to copy the files of the game to another PC or run them in a virtual PC.
I see, I tested these games and all work offline, (not sonic cd) you can add them to the list,:)
MarkoH01: Its simple. Normally steam games require you to have steam running to download AND to run the game. If you run a normal steam game by clicking on the executable without having steam running in the background you will get an error message. So you will have to start steam and log in to your account. However there are some games for which you don't even need to have steam installed after you have downloaded them. You can download the game, store the files wherever you want and then uninstall steam completely.

Long story short: Don't start the steam client, search for the game executable and double click it. If the game is starting and saving/loading you can be pretty sure that it belongs on this list. If you want to be 100% sure try to copy the files of the game to another PC or run them in a virtual PC.
josh72718: I see, I tested these games and all work offline, (not sonic cd) you can add them to the list,:)
Please stop saying "they work offline" since there is a offline mode in steam as well but you still would need to have the steam client running to start the games in most cases.
thraxman: Question: does anyone know if the original Lucius runs without steam? 2 and the demake do but the first is not listed. As it has more patches than the GOG version, I was wondering if it is DRM free like the rest.
Grargar: Last time I tried, it would refuse to launch without Steam. Let me give it another shot.

Edit: Nope. It still won't launch without Steam.
OK thanks for checking it anyway.
josh72718: I see, I tested these games and all work offline, (not sonic cd) you can add them to the list,:)
MarkoH01: Please stop saying "they work offline" since there is a offline mode in steam as well but you still would need to have the steam client running to start the games in most cases.
I am so confused right now. But I'll stop saying it. :)
MarkoH01: Please stop saying "they work offline" since there is a offline mode in steam as well but you still would need to have the steam client running to start the games in most cases.
josh72718: I am so confused right now. But I'll stop saying it. :)
Why are you confused? It is not difficult.

1) Game executable can be started without ANY steam running
=> game should be in this list

2) Game executable can be started only with steam running in background but you don't need to be online
=> game should not be on the list

3) Game executable can be started only with steam running in background and need to be online

So even if you don't need to be online in the example of 2) you still need to have steam running to launch the game and so such a game should not be on the list. So it does not matter if you can play online only or offline as well - important is if you can play it without running the steam client at all.
josh72718: I am so confused right now. But I'll stop saying it. :)
MarkoH01: Why are you confused? It is not difficult.

1) Game executable can be started without ANY steam running
=> game should be in this list

2) Game executable can be started only with steam running in background but you don't need to be online

3) Game executable can be started only with steam running in background and need to be online

So even if you don't need to be online in the example of 2) you still need to have steam running to launch the game and so such a game should not be on the list. So it does not matter if you can play online only or offline as well - important is if you can play it without running the steam client at all.
Okey, very well explained, ty
Okay, everyone, we're updated again! :D

MarkoH01: I just looked at the list and I found something strange about the part where the "steam_appid.txt numbers" games are listed. There seem to be two games (Adventure Kid and Super Robocade) that don't belong there and they weren't even mentioned in this thread here at all. Is this a new form of spam?
Yeah, there was something really weird going on with a bunch of the games in that list. I deleted what wasn't supposed to be there.
Okay, I just added Aviary Attorney to the list. :D
Oddworld: New & Tasty

Save games work!

Win10 Pro 64bit
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Save games works!

It takes some time to load, 10 sec+. Just wait....
It also creates a file "TheBureau.exe.****.STEAMSTART" (5 kb) everytime when you start the game. You can delete the file after playing, but not nessesary.

Win10Pro 64 bits.
pedrovay2003: ONE FINAL NOTE
This list is for people who don't mind installing Steam onto their PCs, and who don't mind buying games through Valve's service.
Well, *I do mind* installing Steam on my PC and buying from Valve, but since you can activate keys on the website and download games by using SteamCMD, I've been doing some tests lately. Here's my results:

Freaking Meatbags (Linux)
Hero Generations: ReGen (Linux)
Meltdown (Linux)
Nuclear Throne (Linux)

These 3 games are completely DRM-free and do run without even having the Steam client installed.

Then I've also tried a couple of free games and these are the ones that work without the need of Steam:

The Secret of Tremendous Corporation (Linux)
Think To Die (Linux)
Think To Die 2 (Linux)
Post edited December 06, 2017 by muntdefems
I've tested more Linux games:

Bridge Constructor Medieval
Hive (it detects that Steam is not running and informs you that it's running in DRM-free mode instead)
Shutshimi
Siralim (you need to execute the 'runner' binary instead of the 'run.sh' script)
Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun

And then I've tested Volume's Windows version with Wine Staging v2.21. I see it's included in the steam_appid.txt Games section of the wiki, but I didn't notice any difference with or without the steam_appid.txt file. In both cases the game notices that Steam is not running and informs you that the "online portions of the game are disabled", whatever those may be (see attached screenshot).
Attachments:
nosteam.png (478 Kb)
You _can_ play any Steam without the client....
*sigh*
OldFatGuy: You _can_ play any Steam without the client....
But not without logging into your account. At least not without using nocd patches, steam emulators or other tricks.
Post edited December 07, 2017 by MarkoH01