It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

johnnygoging: This show is only tangentially connected to the previous shows. You can just go in without having seen any of them and that's the way they intended it.
Breja: You know, I'm really not sure if it is. If they wanted the show to be as accesible to new audience as possible they wouldn't bring in Sarek as a key supporting character, or Harry Mudd, or make the main character Spock's "sister" and make the old USS Defiant a plot point. I honestly don't know what the intention here was.
I think those connections are not crucial to understand the plot, it's more of a bonus or a reward to the old-time fans. As I have said before, I have seen very little of TOS, but I had no problem watching the Harry Mudd episodes (I only learned he was a character from TOS when I read online comments about him). Actually, if I started watching TOS now, he would be "the con man from Discovery", not the other way around.
Breja: You know, I'm really not sure if it is. If they wanted the show to be as accesible to new audience as possible they wouldn't bring in Sarek as a key supporting character, or Harry Mudd, or make the main character Spock's "sister" and make the old USS Defiant a plot point. I honestly don't know what the intention here was.
Caesar.: I think those connections are not crucial to understand the plot, it's more of a bonus or a reward to the old-time fans. As I have said before, I have seen very little of TOS, but I had no problem watching the Harry Mudd episodes (I only learned he was a character from TOS when I read online comments about him). Actually, if I started watching TOS now, he would be "the con man from Discovery", not the other way around.
Actually he would be "the murderous psycho from Discovery who is now a humorous con man" because Discovery can't get anything right, but it's all so dark and edgy, man!

Anyway, such a change in perspective is all the more reason to watch the shows in their proper order, to see the original as it was meant to be, without prequels messing with it for you.
Post edited March 25, 2018 by Breja
Breja: Anyway, such a change in perspective is all the more reason to watch the shows in their proper order, to see the original as it was meant to be, without prequels messing with it for you.
That's an excellent reason for following the airing order (getting the same experience as the original viewers), and that's what I usually do. But when I started TNG I wasn't planning to get involved with the whole franchise. The other shows came along naturally, but the little I've seen of TOS wasn't too impressive. It feels dated, and I'm not talking only about visuals (I know, a product of its time...). Which is a pity, because I know some of the stories are considered masterpieced by the long-time fans. And I don't have that special connection most fans have with the TOS characters (my Spock is Data, my Kirk is Picard, my Scotty is O'Brien, my Bones is the EMH Doctor). The good part is that TOS is not disappearing any time soon, so whenever I feel the itch for "new" Star Trek (and I happen to have the time - 3 full seasons is a lot for me) I can give it a try.
Sjuan: A question about this series: Can I look without having seen the original? I would like to see the original, but it is very long. Maybe if this series generates a fascination with the franchise, I would see little by little the original :)
If you're curious about Star Trek please don't expose yourself to the filth that is Discovery. It would totally give you the wrong impression of the franchise.

Just start with TOS and work your way up from there. Hell even Voyager and Enterprise are masterpieces compared to Discovery.
Breja: Anyway, such a change in perspective is all the more reason to watch the shows in their proper order, to see the original as it was meant to be, without prequels messing with it for you.
Caesar.: That's an excellent reason for following the airing order (getting the same experience as the original viewers), and that's what I usually do.
Following the airdate order is the mistake #1 for any series. What you should follow is the production order. In case of TOS, the most obvious thing is disappearing McCoy in the airdate order.

Fortunately TOS and TNG can be somehow watched in the airdate order too, but to get most out of it, you should still follow the production order. At least they didn't do any real crazy things, such as Seinfeld moving one entire episode from season 2 to season 3 in the airdate order...
Caesar.: That's an excellent reason for following the airing order (getting the same experience as the original viewers), and that's what I usually do.
PixelBoy: Following the airdate order is the mistake #1 for any series. What you should follow is the production order. In case of TOS, the most obvious thing is disappearing McCoy in the airdate order.

Fortunately TOS and TNG can be somehow watched in the airdate order too, but to get most out of it, you should still follow the production order. At least they didn't do any real crazy things, such as Seinfeld moving one entire episode from season 2 to season 3 in the airdate order...
I actually did that for Firefly (the air order makes no sense), but I never noticed anything strange in TNG. I think the last time I noticed something like that was when Fringe moved an unaired episode from season 2 to the middle of season 3, which resulted in a dead character apparently coming back to life without an explanation.

For newer shows this shouldn't be a problem anymore, thankfully (with serialization becoming more and more common, stations can't mess with the order).
Caesar.: I actually did that for Firefly (the air order makes no sense), but I never noticed anything strange in TNG.
Well, the things were very subtle and maybe unimportant, but they were there.

"The fact that this episode was produced earlier in the first season than it aired creates a small error in continuity. This is because, in "Haven", Deanna Troi hasn't seen her mother for some time. However, in the previous episode to air, "Hide and Q", Deanna is away visiting her home on Betazed."

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Haven_(episode)
Post edited March 26, 2018 by PixelBoy
Klingons would un-conquer all human territory just because some bimbo on their homeworld runs around with a monitor with blinking lights on them? Sure, buddy. #notmyklingons
Other than that, I'm impressed that it wasn't shit like I expected, but an OK show. Paramount seems to have noticed that all explody bits don't make for one of these.
Post edited April 01, 2018 by AlienMind
Sjuan: A question about this series: Can I look without having seen the original? I would like to see the original, but it is very long. Maybe if this series generates a fascination with the franchise, I would see little by little the original :)
If you want something dark, edgy and "progressive", better watch Dark Matter.
If you want an engaging story with complex characters and deep (even phylosophical) meaning, watch Babylon 5.
If you want brave americans, who go where no american had gone before and kick ass of alien opressors, watch Stargate SG-1.
If you want space adventures, that explore all kinds of sci-fi ideas and at the same time bring thoughtful insight of real social problems, than Star Trek from TOS to Enerprise is what you need. (Though TOS and Voyager could be somewhat dull by modern standards.)
If you want to laugh, watch Orville.
If you want... frankly I can't think of a reason to watch ST: Discovery. Aside from a few gorgeously shot space scenes there is nothing worth watching.

P.S. But the answer to your particular question is "yes". Star Trek: Discovery has nothing in common with Star Trek except a few names and terminology.
Post edited April 01, 2018 by LootHunter
LootHunter: If you want to laugh, watch Orville.
Well, I think Lexx or Farscape is much more interesting in that way. :) Also, there is absolutely stunning animatronics in Farscape.
LootHunter: If you want brave americans, who go where no american had gone before and kick ass of alien opressors, watch Stargate SG-1.
Filmed by Canadians in Canada with mostly a Canadian cast/crew. :))

This never occurred to me, before you mentioned it.
Post edited April 12, 2018 by MadalinStroe
Andrey82: Well, I think Lexx or Farscape is much more interesting in that way. :) Also, there is absolutely stunning animatronics in Farscape.
Farscape is frellin' amazing. One of the best worldbuilding and storytelling experiences you will ever have on TV. It was able to pull off drama, comedy, romance, genocide and space puppets. What else can you ask?

http://78.media.tumblr.com/e96f939ec37c0e77fb0ab1c97d487e2a/tumblr_mfzfntbp5h1qzq48wo3_r1_400.gif
Andrey82: Well, I think Lexx or Farscape is much more interesting in that way. :) Also, there is absolutely stunning animatronics in Farscape.
Interestingly, I never thought about Farscape as comedy. Though I guess you are right - it's just this show is so many different things that jokes are only small part of what I remembered.

As for Lexx, I don't know - it's humor is quite specific and the stories can be quite unnerving.
LootHunter: If you want brave americans, who go where no american had gone before and kick ass of alien opressors, watch Stargate SG-1.
MadalinStroe: Filmed by Canadians in Canada with mostly a Canadian cast/crew. :))
But protagonists are still Americans, mostly. ;)

Actually, there are quite a lot of good sci-fi series filmed in Canada (at least partially).
Post edited April 13, 2018 by LootHunter
https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-young-spock-will-appear-in-star-trek-discovery-seaso-1825277277

It's like they're trying to make me not watch the next season. The whole prequel thing, and especially the "Spock's forgotten sister" angle is such a egregious albatros around the series' neck. Digging that hole deeper is the last thing they need to do. The last thing I want to watch is this show shitting all over TOS even more.

Move on. Move to some new, continuity-free area of space like the Delphic Expanse in Enterprise. Time travel to post Nemesis future. Jump dimensions permanently to some whole new universe. Just move on for fuck's sake.
Post edited April 16, 2018 by Breja
Let's watch the episode first and then decide if it was worth it or not. He is only appearing in flashbacks, after all.