It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

sikkboy: couldn't make it through the first 3 episodes bad acting poor plot and over use of CGI ,I came back a few episodes later ( first series is always a bit iffy ) worse than Enterprise with some of the worst dialouge I've heard...You saved us etc Klligons that have no honour
I agree with everything except Klingon part, there have been (or will be?) Klingons with no sense of honour. Few of them were responsible for the destruction of Enterprise-D (plus the fact that the plotline was necessary in order to reuse effects from STVI:TUC).

sikkboy: Orville feels more like Trek and I'll wait for season 3 of The Expanse,this trash belongs in the 2$ special bin
Yeah. Although that series sure went down fast.

The first episode was absolutely brilliant, with even some scene-to-scene parodies from Star Trek (most notably when the captain approaches the ship for the first time in a shuttle, which was straight from ST:TMP). The take on "The Cage" was hilarious too. But already few episodes further the episodes only had few jokes here and there (which often aren't that funny) and it's hard to tell whether the series is trying to be serious in a disguise of funny, or whether their comedy just peaked at the pilot episode and reverted to boring nonsense scifi with few gags added to keep the series in the comedy genre.
Post edited February 22, 2018 by PixelBoy
I agree that everything ended very abruptly, as I was expecting a more exciting confrontation with the Klingons, but you can hardly get more Star Trek than Michael's final speech (despite the weird editing). The best part for me, though, was Tilly! I love when she plays Killy. And hopefully next season she will take more responsibilities.

Also, Georgiou survived, so we might have more Michelle Yeoh in the future!

LootHunter: do you remember how Federation-Dominion war ended in DS9?
My thoughts exactly. Both wars ended with the Federation aborting their own semi-unknown plan to commit genocide by giving the cure/solution to a leader of the other faction, as a diplomatic good gesture, after the crew rebelled against that plan. In Discovery it felt atoo rusehd, but maybe it's for the best. Apparently the lack of a defined focus this season (first the Klingons, then the spores, then the Mirror Universe, then the Klingons again but not too much) was a consequence of showrunners coming and going. With a more stable staff next season, I hope the stories will feel more robust.

I would also like a longer season, or at least dedicate more to "filler". Not because I don't like the serialized episodes, which I love, but because the stand-alones are the ones where we get to learn more about the characters and their interactions in their daily life. This season we only had the time loop one, but it was great seeing the characters in a totatlly different scenario (the party).

Overall I'd say Discovery first season was satisfactory. Definitely better than at least Enterprise and Voyager's first seasons. All my predictions for the finale failed horribly so I won't be playing the fortune teller for season 2, but I am already awaiting eagerly for new episodes.
Caesar.: The best part for me, though, was Tilly!

Overall I'd say Discovery first season was satisfactory. Definitely better than at least Enterprise and Voyager's first seasons.
Wat.
Post edited February 16, 2018 by Breja
Breja:
Tilly is displeased.

Both Tilly and I also hate posting links in the forum.
Post edited February 16, 2018 by Caesar.
Caesar.: Apparently the lack of a defined focus this season (first the Klingons, then the spores, then the Mirror Universe, then the Klingons again but not too much) was a consequence of showrunners coming and going. With a more stable staff next season, I hope the stories will feel more robust.
I personally doubt that.

Burnham starts a mutiny to prevent Federation-Klingon war from starting, but fails and ends up courtmarchalled. Then she is taken to Discovery to participate in research of new secret weapon that would turn the course of war. But captain of Discovery, Lorca has his own agenda as he is actually from Mirror Universe and still plotting against the Emperror. Discovery's crew defeats Lorca's Empire, saves the multiverse and returns just in time to stop Klingons from annihilating Federation.

It looks like this plot was consieved from the start. And it even looks kinda cool as a pitch for the new show. Hoewver, the problem is - this is only ideas. To make them believable, sensible you actually need to write the script, fill the gaps, explaining and elaporating what is going on an how. Why Klingons started the war in the first place? How Burnham could stop them by mutineering? Why Discovery and it's crew appeared the only ones to be able stop both Terran Empire and Klingons achieve domination? What were character motives for various actions and why they succeeded (or failed)?

All those questions (or at least most of them) writers failed to answer. Unlike DS9 writers, who for example not only created the whole Section 31 to explain shady operations for supposedly good and honest Federation, but also went great length to make viewers understand Dominion motives. Not just - Tkuvma said, your Federation was going to devoid us from klingon identity - Because Tkuvma was an idiot.
Breja:
Caesar.: Tilly is displeased.

I'm sorry, I just continue to be absolutely baffled by how anyone can like Tilly. She's one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered in fiction. And that's saying a lot. She's like if a mad scientist combined Wesley Crusher, agent Leyla Harrison and Jar Jar Binks. I think the only way to make her even more annoying would be to give her chipmunk voice.
Post edited February 17, 2018 by Breja
Caesar.: Tilly is displeased.

Breja: I'm sorry, I just continue to be absolutely baffled by how anyone can like Tilly. She's one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered in fiction. And that's saying a lot. She's like if a mad scientist combined Wesley Crusher, agent Leyla Harrison and Jar Jar Binks. I think the only way to make her even more annoying would be to give her chipmunk voice.
No need to feel sorry (unless you met face to face with Killy, and then not even an apology would save you from her rage). At first I found her annoying, but I think she has a lot of redeeming qualities. She is loyal, empathetic, open-minded and hard-working. She has acknowledged her own weaknesses and works actively to overcome them and fulfill her dream to become a Captain. And she is a great comedy relief (that's an acquired taste).

And above all, I think Tilly is the most relatable character. Most people imagine themselves as a Picard, Kirk or Spock if they lived in the Star Trek universe. But I would most likely be a Tilly (or even a Barclay), and I'm fine with that.
Caesar.: And above all, I think Tilly is the most relatable character. Most people imagine themselves as a Picard, Kirk or Spock if they lived in the Star Trek universe. But I would most likely be a Tilly (or even a Barclay), and I'm fine with that.
I actually think that's what annoys me so much. That she's so transparently this "fangirl self-insert" character as I call them. Like Osgood in Doctor Who or Rose in Last Jedi or the aforementioned agent Harrison. This (supposedly) "adorkable", nerdy, average looking character who's a fan of the franchise or main characters on an almost meta-level (Tilly can't be a fan of Kirk or Picard since it's a prequel, so she has the every Trekkie's "I wanna be a captain" dream).

I hate the obviousness of these characters, how there's zero subtelty to how they are written and I hate the very idea that the audience needs some special "relateable character". A character doesn't need to similiar to me for me to relate to them or care about them. Just needs to be well written. God knows I'm not much like Sonny Crockett or Connor McLeod or any number of other fictional characters I'm a fan of, and I never had a problem empathising with them. Characters like Tilly on the other hand feel pandering to me, almost condescending. And fuck that.
I finally finished watching. The orcs (so called klingons) apparenly eat humans, and have no sense of honor etc. Then the spore drive, I mean if the Federation had it in the 23rd century, they surely would've perfected it by the 24th for TNG, DS9, Voyager. Even Enterprise was better.
Breja: I hate the obviousness of these characters, how there's zero subtelty to how they are written and I hate the very idea that the audience needs some special "relateable character". A character doesn't need to similiar to me for me to relate to them or care about them. Just needs to be well written. God knows I'm not much like Sonny Crockett or Connor McLeod or any number of other fictional characters I'm a fan of, and I never had a problem empathising with them. Characters like Tilly on the other hand feel pandering to me, almost condescending. And fuck that.
It's not by any means a necessary requirement. I also liked Emperor Georgiou, and I promise I am not a backstabbing psycho (you'll have to take my word on that). It's just one of the reasons why I love Tilly.

But to each their own. It would be boring if everybody liked and disliked the same characters.

Off-topic: I had to look up who Osgood is in Doctor Who. I guess she didn't leave a big impression in me.
Post edited February 17, 2018 by Caesar.
So, I guess this thread is going into suspended animation for a while. Apparently we won't see season two until 2019. At least.

Also, I see there are rumors about the series not being quite the success we were supposed to believe. Still, that's just a video on YT, I can't find anything more substantial on what's said there, so it might be bullshit.
Breja: So, I guess this thread is going into suspended animation for a while. Apparently we won't see season two until 2019. At least.
From the same site about The Orville...

"What we found was that we can lean a little more heavier into the science fiction and not have to worry so much about knocking out a joke every page. The show is an hour and really can, and wants to, service its storytelling in a way that makes it a priority. The jokes come as they come, the comedy comes as it comes."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/feature/a847230/the-orville-season-2-release-date-cast-trailer-episodes/

Apparently, I was right when commenting The Orville above, and now they even admit that.

So, basically we have a Star Trek series that has abandoned Star Trek, and a comedy scifi series that has for all practical purposes abandoned comedy.

Damn, the state of scifi series today...

Any chance there is a scifi series out there somewhere that is actually good and true to its premise today?
Probably not.
PixelBoy: Any chance there is a scifi series out there somewhere that is actually good and true to its premise today?
Probably not.
The Expanse. So far at least it's really remarkably good and very consistant.

That said, there is nothing exactly wrong with a series doing some course correcting after the first season. It all depends on what it changes into.
Post edited February 22, 2018 by Breja
The Expanse is in my opinion the best sci fi i've seen in 20 years,STD struggles with cheap tricks,starship closing.... registry 1701....pffft gimme a break,overuse of CGI or bad CGI,wish they'd revamp Babylon 5

But i think those sci fi series belong in the 90's no use trying to rehash them,as fans will always complain make something new.That's were The Expanse and The Orville shine
Even though the season has wrapped up and the next one is way off, the series continues to suck through deleted scenes.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/bonus-scene-confirms-major-fan-theory-for-star-trek-di-1824057567

Apparently the super secret, rogue, illegal Section 31 operatives wear easily distinguishable black badges. Yeah, I remember the Cambridge Five wearing big red hammer-and-sickle pins on their chests all the time and no one ever noticing.