It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

johnnygoging: yeah it was kind of red flag when they said, in press before the show had come out, that they were changing the Klingons from just basically being the Russians.
Sounds like only Klingons they know are the TOS ones.

DaCostaBR: No, the romans can speak english through the whole thing, but it means the gauls can't speak english too.
I was typing reply to this and then I realised something that blew my mind.

In older series Klingons speak Standard, the Federation language, and universal translator can't or just doesn't translate Klingon.
Because everyone can understand them but then they start to speak Klingon instead of Standard/English and suddenly people who doesn't know the language don't know what they are saying.
Never realized that until now. :-)
johnnygoging: anyway I didn't mind the last episode so much. I thought it was pretty good. I actually missed the part where they were on a shuttle. I came back to it right in the middle of it somewhere just before they got captured. so I didn't know what the reason was (wasn't) that they were in this situation and I just assumed it all made sense. hah
There's also the painful stupidity of Harry Mudd using his pet with a listening device inside to spy on the other prisoners for the Klingons. I mean, why would the Klingons need that? It's their own holding cell on their own damn ship, they can have as many cameras and listening devices installed in every inch of the room as they want.

And the "what a twist" with the mirror at the end. Because I guess through the looking glass there's another dimension of space mushrooms. Ah well, I guess at least we'll get to see a spaceship fight Jabberwocky eventually. I hope they have vorpal phasers.
The writers stole pretty much everything from an indie game. This is plagiarism in its purest form, really.

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.no/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html
wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

wow. that's just... wow. just wow.
To be honest Trek isn't entirely a stranger to borrowing from others. Still, that does look pretty damning, and a powerhouse of a franchise ripping of an indie game looks particularly bad.
Borrowing is one thing. In this case they stole the whole damn thing. Characters, scenes, lore, everything.
If this is true, someone will need to start preparing some explanations... Not the part about some characters having the same skin color (which is reading too much into it), but the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
Stig79: The writers stole pretty much everything from an indie game. This is plagiarism in its purest form, really.

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.no/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html
Unbelievable. I knew Discovery had bad writing but now they're ripping story elements off of an indie game. That's just shameful.
Caesar.: If this is true, someone will need to start preparing some explanations... Not the part about some characters having the same skin color (which is reading too much into it), but the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
The skin colour is relevant given the rest of the similarities\copies. Isolated, of course, it would have been a nothing issue.

Even those scenes you see in the gifs are almost identical.
Caesar.: the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
Well, it wouldn't exactly make sense to change it, it's not a made up name.
Caesar.: If this is true, someone will need to start preparing some explanations... Not the part about some characters having the same skin color (which is reading too much into it), but the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
Change what word? Tardigrades are also referred to as 'water bears' and are tiny organisms that, as it turns out, are considered to possibly be one of the most hardy living creatures on the planet. Speculation is that they could likely survive a planet-killer like an asteroid strike or something even worse that would kill off pretty much everything else.

*edit* I read an article about them not long ago, and now it seems they're now in the mainstream. Look for all kinds of references to them in the near future - especially in speculative fiction.
Post edited October 19, 2017 by GR00T
GR00T: Change what word? Tardigrades are also referred to as 'water bears' and are tiny organisms that, as it turns out, are considered to possibly be one of the most hardy living creatures on the planet.
Ah, thanks for info. It was indeed too much if someone was dumb enough to take not only the plot elements, but also names. There are still too many similarities, though.
GR00T: Change what word? Tardigrades are also referred to as 'water bears' and are tiny organisms that, as it turns out, are considered to possibly be one of the most hardy living creatures on the planet. Speculation is that they could likely survive a planet-killer like an asteroid strike or something even worse that would kill off pretty much everything else.
There's nothing wrong with Star Trek using Tardigrades. After all, Star Trek has used real science in their shows to try and explain some of the things the shows discover. What isn't real is a giant tardigrade which I thought was dumb. It was like I was watching one of those shows or movies that takes a real animal and makes them big (King Kong, Godzilla, Journey to the Center of the Earth, B&W giant grasshopper horror movie, etc.). It makes the show completely unbelievable. What makes it worse is that it wasn't even their idea and they had to take it from an indie developer. I just think it's a new low for CBS.
GR00T: Change what word? Tardigrades are also referred to as 'water bears' and are tiny organisms that, as it turns out, are considered to possibly be one of the most hardy living creatures on the planet. Speculation is that they could likely survive a planet-killer like an asteroid strike or something even worse that would kill off pretty much everything else.
BenKii: There's nothing wrong with Star Trek using Tardigrades. After all, Star Trek has used real science in their shows to try and explain some of the things the shows discover. What isn't real is a giant tardigrade which I thought was dumb. It was like I was watching one of those shows or movies that takes a real animal and makes them big (King Kong, Godzilla, Journey to the Center of the Earth, B&W giant grasshopper horror movie, etc.). It makes the show completely unbelievable. What makes it worse is that it wasn't even their idea and they had to take it from an indie developer. I just think it's a new low for CBS.
I asked about it on the shows official Facebook page. My question got deleted within a minute.
Stig79: I asked about it on the shows official Facebook page. My question got deleted within a minute.
I smell a section 31 conspiracy afoot. :P

On a serious note, that indie developer should really look into this. I think there are too many similarities to be a coincidence.