It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deals so good, you won't want to fall asleep.
You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.
*This is probably not a good idea
**This is definitely not a good idea
***This is totally safe, though****
****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON
Post edited November 13, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
deathmyrk: *snip* I don't know why Ultima VII isn't, hasn't been as popular as other PC titles.
Dang, I really could've used this game 15 years ago!!
cjc7: Hi Everyone, hope everyone is doing fine and well..
Just stopped in to see if GOG posted the stats yet ?

This forum refuses to die ... ha ha ..Love it... :)
Best to all of you ....
donsanderson: No news from GOG yet.
Thanks for the update, Wish I could stay with you guys here for awhile , but must run , I check on you all latter tonight (my tonight ) see you all then I hope... Your are all the best forum group ever, glad I was lucky enough to be a part of it.
Bye for Now
looking forward to the stats hey any blues aroiund ?
any news on when we get to see some stats ?
mawihtec: looking forward to the stats hey any blues aroiund ?
I'm sure they are lurking around here somewhere... Always watching...
CorranHorn: Kickstarter was something I only heard about when I watch a video from Total Biscuit talking about the game "No Time to Explain" but it was Double Fine´s adventure that really got me into the whole Kickstarter thing and after this I´ve seen so many "vets" from the industry that I remember fondly from the "golden days of gaming". Kickstarter and the indie games have given me a new hope for the industry, and I feel as a kid once more=).
Chandoraa: Allow me to hijack your post in order to introduce an idea that's been buzzing around my head for a while
I agree with everything you said, Chandoraa. The developers on Kickstarter (video games or anything else) absolutely LOVE the idea of Kickstarter, because if they have a successful project (that carries forward and makes money even after Kickstarter), they have no one asking for a cut. That's what venture capital is for.

I don't Kickstart, but I don't tell other people they shouldn't unless they ask... :)

In all seriousness, if you are going to Kickstart something, you have to think about it as a consumer and decide that the value you get for your contribution is worth it to you. It's a very personal thing.
high rated
You enter a dimly lit room.Within this room, you spy a table right in the very center. It is a humble table with the usual amount of legs (4), and very table-like. On the table there is a pile of neatly stacked documents. The contents of the documents are precisely handwritten in electric blue ink. It would appear to be charts filled with columns of numbers and game titles.

>read documents

Your fingers tremble with anticipation as you rifle through the documents and your eyes greedily take in the contents. Your eyes land upon the words "TOP SECRET GOG.COM SALES STATS". You miss the little note written in cursive on the bottom of the first page. The note would've read "TheEnigmaticT, we need to have a meeting about meetings. Signed G." Since you didn't see this note, it reads nothing and you'll never find out who the mysterious G. actually is. This game hopes you know that.

>examine documents

You think to yourself "AT LAST! I have found the secret stats! I shall proceed to the General Discussion forum and gloat, perhaps I can sell this TOP SECRET information and become rich beyond my dreams!" You proceed to take this vital information with you. You stuff the documents into the inner pocket of your somewhat fashionable sports jacket. Suddenly, behind you a door creaks open and a mysterious gentleman walks into the room.

>start panicking

Sorry, this game does not understand "start panicking".

>look at room

You furtively look around the room, hoping that there is an exit but, alas, there is only way out. The mysterious gentleman continues to walk calmly towards you.

>examine gentleman

The gentleman is rather mysterious.So mysterious that the writer of this script is unable to describe him and besides, they don't pay by the word anymore so why bother? The gentleman stops right in front of you, a hint of a wry smile on his lips. He extends his hand and speaks only two words. Two very important words. Two words uttered calmly with a slight hint of a Russian accent.

"Papers, please!"

(I hope you enjoy this response. Inspired by an article about Douglas Adams and how he tried to shake up the tried and true standards of the venerable text adventure :) )
JudasIscariot: You enter a dimly lit room.Within this room, you spy a table right in the very center. It is a humble table with the usual amount of legs (4), and very table-like. On the table there is a pile of neatly stacked documents. The contents of the documents are precisely handwritten in electric blue ink. It would appear to be charts filled with columns of numbers and game titles.

>read documents

*Snip*

"Papers, please!"

(I hope you enjoy this response. Inspired by an article about Douglas Adams and how he tried to shake up the tried and true standards of the venerable text adventure :) )
Love it!!!

Seriously though, this den of geeks are all about getting stats to crunch and process and reanalyze. (At least I know I am.) :-)
We know a couple things already. Unless the sales counter was a complete lie, nearly every posted offer sold out. And toward the end, quite a few otherwise-popular games were near a saturation point at those prices for whoever was still watching the sale. Their sales slowed to a trickle.
Ok, as i promised earlier on, those are the games i bought during the promo.
I had to divide the post into two parts because the forum wouldn't let me publish it. Too long, i guess. XD

Nevewinter Nights 2 Complete - Already own a physical copy, but since this was uber-cheap, i thought "why not buying it just for the expansions"? So, it was the first game i bought, during 2nd round.

Neverwinter Nights Diamond - Bought during the 3rd round. I thought "I have the physical copy already and both expansions from the Chaotic Edition of Neverwinter Nights 2, but i don't have Kingmaker. Also, a backup copy can always be useful (i was near the end of the promo, severely tired and mentally injured, so at this point i tried to justify any impulse buy with poor excuses)".

Tropico 3 Gold Edition - I never owned this game but i saw the boxed copy in stores a couple times and was always curious about it, but never enough to buy it at full price. Well, let's try it now.

Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete - My sister's husband, which has been a friend of mine for 20+ years, always told me that this was one of his favourite games. I even picked up HOMM V because of his suggestion but i didn't like it very much, but i've read the description and the reviews of this one and it seems that it's considered the highest point in the series, so why not give it a try? Bought.

Heroes of Might and Magic V Bundle - What? You just said you bought it and you didn't like it! Why buying it again, you idiot! Uh...maybe i didn't play it for long enough. The reviews seem favorable, so i think i'll give it another chance. Impulse buy, may regret it.

Thief Gold - I tried Thief III some time ago and i never started playing it seriously because it was SO hard. But looking at reviews it seems apparently this is way better. Let's give it a try.

Thief II - Last title i bought round 3. I waited that long and slept about 3 total hrs in 2 days, so it better be good as reviewers say.

Thief III - As i wrote before, i stopped playing it because i found it to be too hard. But i'm no coward and i'm a more experienced gamer nowadays. I know i can beat the bastard.

Master of Magic - Looks like Civilization with magic fantasy elements. No brainer buy.

Leisure Suit Larry: Greatest Hits and Misses! - LSL fan here, so it's a no brainer. I'm a sucker for point-and-click adventures. I was introduced to Larry games by my mother, actually. She used to play King's Quest, Police Quest and LSL when i was a child. In fact, that's how i learnt my basic english (those games used to have a parser and at the time games weren't translated, you know, so i played with an italian-english dictionary on the desk. Lots of fun.
(P.S. Yeah, i know it's supposed to be a game not suited for children, but my mother has always been very open-minded and she found it really amusing rather then erotic, so she was totally fine with letting me play it).

Geneforge 1-5 - Never heard about it, but from description, screenshots and reviews it seems a really old-school style rpg. I'm a pen-and-paper rpg player, i loved gamebooks, and i absolutely love old school crpgs, so i'm suddenly interested. Bought.

Rise of the Triad - Uh...mistake buy. I thought it was the original classic, not a reboot. Bought it without looking carefully. I would regret it but it was cheap enough that it's actually ok even if the game seems rather mediocre.

System Shock 2 - Already own a physical boxed copy, but i'm lazy and a pre-packaged, pre-emulated copy seems like it may save me some time. Also, this way i won't ruin the original disc. Bought it as a backup copy.

Sacred Gold - I've heard it's a decent Diablo clone. Bought it.

Deus Ex GOTY Edition - Same as System Shock 2. When i emulated it it didn't work very well (the speed wasn't correct and the text windows closed too quickly) so i had to find a workaround patch on the internet made by a programmer that was a fan of the game. I wonder if the GOG version works fine. I'll see.

Master of Orion 1+2 - I love strategy games and i love classic space sci-fi, therefore titles like this one look so charming to me. Good reviews as well, and i don't know the series but i've already heard about it. Seems like something i may like to play. Bought.

Planescape Torment - Same as System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. Already own a copy but i like the backup. I still have to finish the game, too (dropped it halfway despite really liking it), so this may be a good chance.

Might and Magic 6-Pack - Looking at the name i pondered if this edition may possibly include some tricks to make me amazing abs, honestly. Well, abs or not, i know the series is a classic of the rpg genre but never played it. Easy buy.

Icewind Dale Complete - I have a boxed copy AND an economic plastic box edition that MAY already contain the expansions (never played those, in fact, so i don't know). Whatever. Good backup is good.

Startopia - Lemme check the description and reviews: "Kinda like Theme Hosp..." Bought.

Myst - Never played but always heard about it. Also, i'm backing the new game from the authors, Obduction, right now on Kickstarter. Bought.

Realms of Arkania 1-2 - Never heard of. Let's read the reviews: "uhm...RPG, ok...very deep and complex, ok...hard as hell...very well, i love those...'If you hate number-crunching, rolling 10 minutes to get just your first character as you want him to be or shy away of reading and understanding the manual throughly before you start, you might want to skip this'...are you kidding me? It takes me 10 minutes to decide THE NAME of my first character, don't be silly. I play pen-and-paper rpgs, what do you think, that i may be scared by a couple statistics? LOL. Funny guy...the characters get sick if they aren't dressed properly, you have to take in account temperature, food, sleep, cure wounds...you have negative stats...uh, i wonder if any of those ever played MERP or Cthulhu. This sounds like a piece of cake in comparison. Actually, i didn't think a crpg may be so deep. If it's anything like they describe it, it's pretty close to pen-and-paper. I love it. Such a level of complexity...that's something you'd never find in modern games. Only old computer games (and sometimes indie games) may have a similar depth. Instant buy.

Sim City 2000 - I loved the original Sim City as a kid, and when the newest Sim City came out i was excited about it, but everybody seem to complain about how small the map is and how dumbed down the gameplay is compared to Sim City 2000. Since the game is favorably compared against the newest one, why don't buy it instead? Let's grab it.

Lands of Lore 1+2 - Never played it, but i've heard the name and it looks fine from the pictures. I'm a sucker for rpgs almost as much as i am for point-and-click adventures, yet i didn't play many first-person crpg, as a kid, so i bought it.

Eschalon Book 1 - Looks like an old shool rpg, so i'm fine with this one. Bought.

Little big Adventure - Already own a SEALED boxed copy in my game collection. Having a digital copy will let me play it while preserving it. Deal.

Little big Adventure 2 - I own a boxed copy of this one as well. Not sealed, but whatever. I bought the first one, let's buy the 2nd one as well (this is a clear sign of how my mind's reasoning had stopped working properly due to sleep deprivation at this point).

Star Control 1+2 - I'm an active and respectable member of the largest and most important game collectors online community in Italy, gamescollection.it, and i came to know the series, which i never heard about, a couple years ago during a discussion on Gamescollection's forum, from a member that is a legitimate retro guru (he is 45, ten years older then me, amazingly versed in every possible form of art and culture and extremely humble and nice). Since he told me this series is pure gold, and i have an absolute respect for the man, i DEFINETELY had to buy those.

The Chaos Engine - Always heard about this game but never had a chance to play it. I loved the Bitmap Brothers games, at the time, and from what i see it seems decent enough. Bought.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by Shendue
Don't Starve - Didn't have any intention of buying this, and i purposedly ignored it during second round, but then a trillion people started crying about the fact they missed it because it was the greatest indie game ever done or something like that, so i became curious about it. In fact, i'm intrigued by the concept of survival games, but i was a little burned by my experience with Lost in Blue on Nintendo DS, that was really intriguing but ultimately boring, especially due to the annoying dead weight-like girl you have to take care of in that game. Well, at least in this game there's no sign of other survivors, so let's give it a try. Bought.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - I liked a lot Escape from Butcher Bay. Never bought this because it's essentially the same game plus a minor sequel, but at this price it's a steal. Bought.

Shelter - Like Don't Starve, this is a game i ignored during round 2 but was strongly suggested to be interesting by several people on the forum, so i bought it due to general consensus and sleepy-induced lack of judgement.

Ultima Underworld 1+2 - I already had Ultima IV to VII from a previous promo plus Ultima Savage Empire and Ultima Martian Dreams free, so wtf not.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - I was really undecided on this one because i'm not much into RTS games (i prefer turn-based ones), but i like the space setting and someone told me you can pause the game at will to micro-manage the units, so in the end i decided to buy it, even considering that a lot of people in the forum was praising it.

Resonance - Point-and-click adventures are like cake for me. I never say no to a good one. And this one seemed like good cake from the reviews.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - Looks like the bastard child of Civilization and fantasy rpgs. Fell in love as soon as i got what the game was about.

Beyond Good & Evil - Always heard about it as an hidden gem that should be among the best games ever in history but never received the credit it deserved. I thought i should give it a try myself.

Baldur's Gate: The original saga - I have THREE boxed copies of BG. Original big box, BG + Tales of the Sword Coast big box and 2-in-1 collection plastic dvd box. So it's really a little bit overkill, but there's nothing like too much Baldur's Gate.

Postal 2 Complete - Postal is a really stupid game. But it's funny as a no-brainer. In no way it may be considered a good game, but you can play it from time to time to get a good laugh out of it the same way you watch a very stupid comedy movie sometimes just for some giggles. I never owned it, now i do.

Miasmata - Same as Don't Starve and Shelter. In fact, this looked to me like the most interesting of the trio, at first. Wasn't sure if buying this, but then i bought the other two, so why not this one as well. We'll see if i like it.

La Mulana - I've heard nothing but great things about this. Everybody i know that played it say it's fantastic, so i was just waiting for a sale to get it.

I Have no Mouth and i Must Scream - like for Little Big Adventure, i own a boxed copy that is still new and shrink-wrapped, therefore i neeeded a playable copy.

King of Dragon Pass - What sold me this game were the screenshots. I never heard of a civ-game that actually ASKS YOU QUESTIONS. This thing alone adds an interesting touch of realism to the game. Looks immersive and original, and those are things i like in games.

Duke Nukem 3D - Well, it's the Duke. You just don't say no to the Duke.

I also bought a couple things from the Humble Bundle store while keaning:

Papers, Please - Someone on the forum told it's very good. I disregarded it before as an original but most likely mediocre game just by the look of it earlier on, but after receiving positive feedback about it on this forum i decided to give it a chance. Well, i played it a bit and i must say the forum people were right. The game is pretty good and addictive. I suggest buying it.

Rogue Legacy - I didn't get it on the sale, but then i bought Papers, Please on forum's suggestions and i really enjoyed it. So, i wondered why forum people also praised this game and i looked for some videos. After watching some of the game, i decided i wanted it. At first i tried to trade for it on the forum, but since nobody seemed to have an extra copy, i bouhgt it on the Humble Bundle shop. I payed it a couple dollars more: still discounted, but not as much as on GOG. Well, at least, it's still DRM-Free.

Humble Weekly Sale - For a small price i got not only Expeditions: Conquistador, that was in the sale, but also other 8 games from the same company. Expeditions: Conquistador is not DRM free, unfortunately, but the collection of 4 Jagged Alliance games included is.

And got a few extra games from trades, too:

Divine Divinity on GOG
Cthulhu Saves the World on Steam
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning on Steam
Eschalon Book 2 on Steam
Hacker: Evolution on Steam
Knights and Merchants on Steam.

Traded and gifted some games and Steam keys.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience, the forum was full of awesome people and i got a lot of new games to play. I definetely don't need to worry about next gen consoles for a while. :D
Post edited November 20, 2013 by Shendue
Has anyone summoned The List?
howardc007: Has anyone summoned The List?
The holy text of the The List has stabilized in its current form so we might understand it at our mortal level. We can never be sure when it will transform again, so gaze in awe at all its glory while you have the chance.
gogbot: The holy text of the The List has stabilized in its current form so we might understand it at our mortal level. We can never be sure when it will transform again, so gaze in awe at all its glory while you have the chance.
All hail The List!
Shendue: I Have no Mouth and i Must Scream - like for Little Big Adventure, i own a boxed copy that is still new and shrink-wrapped, therefore i neeeded a playable copy.
LBA original copy? I envy you.
gogbot: The holy text of the The List has stabilized in its current form so we might understand it at our mortal level. We can never be sure when it will transform again, so gaze in awe at all its glory while you have the chance.
Geez, you guys sound like the Great Pattern worshipers from 4chan's /v/ :D