It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deals so good, you won't want to fall asleep.
You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.
*This is probably not a good idea
**This is definitely not a good idea
***This is totally safe, though****
****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON
Post edited November 13, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
BTW, Ultima VII is a Must Own for any and all serious RPG gamers. Though some Ultima fans beg to argue that Ultima VI was the best one.
foxworks: I must say I am going through withdrawals now that this sale has ended. For me the sale format was addictive. But it wasn't just the sale itself. Like others, I hadn't participated in the forums before now. It was great to experience a community rally around each title that appeared in the sale, sharing their favorite games, keeping lists of what has come and gone and what's to come, the trading, and of course, the giveaways.

While nothing was more frustrating to see a game title hog the spotlight for hours, it was this downtime that made the community shine the most. Today's gaming world seems obsessed with the latest AAA games and the technology that drives them and shuns a game that's over 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing some of the newer releases, but unfortunately, many of today's "pretty" games have lost something. It's simple, these older games were just more fun. This community relishes these older gems which is refreshing.

I was surprised to see how many games I missed in their initial release. Learning about these games from other members gave me interest. My initial shopping list grew leaps and bounds. I now have a library of games that will keep me busy for years with some of the best RPG titles ever produced. And I get to experience them now for the first time.

Thanks to all who dedicated their time in making this forum what it is. Also, thank you to GOG for supporting these games and giving us this forum.
Yes, I´ve played a lot of modern games and not many games today from big publishers are making me feel the same joy I had as a kid. I had almost given up all hope and then the indie games came and showed the AAA games how you can do great games without a big budget.

Kickstarter was something I only heard about when I watch a video from Total Biscuit talking about the game "No Time to Explain" but it was Double Fine´s adventure that really got me into the whole Kickstarter thing and after this I´ve seen so many "vets" from the industry that I remember fondly from the "golden days of gaming". Kickstarter and the indie games have given me a new hope for the industry, and I feel as a kid once more=).
foxworks: I must say I am going through withdrawals now that this sale has ended. For me the sale format was addictive. But it wasn't just the sale itself. Like others, I hadn't participated in the forums before now. It was great to experience a community rally around each title that appeared in the sale, sharing their favorite games, keeping lists of what has come and gone and what's to come, the trading, and of course, the giveaways.

While nothing was more frustrating to see a game title hog the spotlight for hours, it was this downtime that made the community shine the most. Today's gaming world seems obsessed with the latest AAA games and the technology that drives them and shuns a game that's over 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing some of the newer releases, but unfortunately, many of today's "pretty" games have lost something. It's simple, these older games were just more fun. This community relishes these older gems which is refreshing.

I was surprised to see how many games I missed in their initial release. Learning about these games from other members gave me interest. My initial shopping list grew leaps and bounds. I now have a library of games that will keep me busy for years with some of the best RPG titles ever produced. And I get to experience them now for the first time.

Thanks to all who dedicated their time in making this forum what it is. Also, thank you to GOG for supporting these games and giving us this forum.
CorranHorn: Yes, I´ve played a lot of modern games and not many games today from big publishers are making me feel the same joy I had as a kid. I had almost given up all hope and then the indie games came and showed the AAA games how you can do great games without a big budget.

Kickstarter was something I only heard about when I watch a video from Total Biscuit talking about the game "No Time to Explain" but it was Double Fine´s adventure that really got me into the whole Kickstarter thing and after this I´ve seen so many "vets" from the industry that I remember fondly from the "golden days of gaming". Kickstarter and the indie games have given me a new hope for the industry, and I feel as a kid once more=).
Castle of Ilusions... Oh my god, tears...
Soccorro: Castle of Ilusions... Oh my god, tears...
Sadly never played it but I remember that game being one of the reasons I wanted a Megadrive/Genesis=).
Soccorro: Castle of Ilusions... Oh my god, tears...
CorranHorn: Sadly never played it but I remember that game being one of the reasons I wanted a Megadrive/Genesis=).
It was so great! And World of illusion of course with mickey and donald! i played it with my dad when i was about 6 years old. i still remember how we beat the game together. It is a game with coop elements, like helping the other player reach a high point and then pull the other one up with a rope or pulling donalds fat bottom through small passages because he doesn't fit through otherwise. Play it, i swear you won't regret it!
deathmyrk: BTW, Ultima VII is a Must Own for any and all serious RPG gamers. Though some Ultima fans beg to argue that Ultima VI was the best one.
Yeah, they do, but they're wrong. VII is the ultimate goodness of all that is Ultima. Especially with all its addons. No wonder it went downhill from there.... Now I'm waiting for Shroud of the Avatar. That looks like a step in the right direction.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by Cardian
Soccorro: It was so great! And World of illusion of course with mickey and donald! i played it with my dad when i was about 6 years old. i still remember how we beat the game together. It is a game with coop elements, like helping the other player reach a high point and then pull the other one up with a rope or pulling donalds fat bottom through small passages because he doesn't fit through otherwise. Play it, i swear you won't regret it!
Will try and get it if the remake isn´t any good then, remember this game and I think I´ve played it at a store or seen others play it but I never have owned the game myself or even own a Sega console (I´ve rented a Master Systetm or at least I have a memory of doing so=)).
Post edited November 20, 2013 by CorranHorn
BTCentral: Check out what I found on sale elsewhere today... clearly wasn't enough of this recently :p
The horror...
CorranHorn: After reading about Jack Keane in this tread that game has now become a game I probably will get in the future, just to see for myself if it´s as bad as many seems to think it is=).
I think the real reason JK2 got so much grief is that it was substantially overpriced for a point-and-click adventure -- at least relative to the sale, thus dragging the sale down because people weren't interested in it at the price point. Of course, the reviews for certainly didn't help. And I say this as one devoted to the prophet Keane.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by gogbot
I spent way too much and picked up the following:

Chronicles of Riddick: The Dark Atheana - I've long heard good things about CoR and the sci-fi theme looks like a lot of fun.
Expeditions: Conquistadors - the historic theme mashed with HOMM style gameplay seems like a winner.
Giana Sisters - fun detailed levels with a unique twist.
Rayman Origins - after playing some Giana Sisters I got on a platformer kick and thought Rayman might be fun with the kids (it is, my 5 year old enjoys it).
Don't Starve - I'm a sucked for survival/roguelike games and the open world theme is cool.
Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - after a HOMM hiatus since part 2 was out I'm looking forward to revising.
Aquanox 1/2 - the free floating physics looks like fun, these were impulse buys (once I got one, I felt I should have both).
Rogue Legacy - with my new appreciation for platformers and a fondness for roguelikes Rouge Legacy seems promising, so far it's fun but punishing (I need to build up my legacy more).
Wing Commander 4 - I wasn't ever into flight simulators but decided to see what the buzz is about.
Tales of Monkey Island - I enjoyed the original Monkey Island games, a remake seems like a fine idea.
Defender's Quest - I love RPGs but dislike Tower Defense so caved in to all the glowing reviews to give DQ a chance.
Ultimate Underworld 1-2 - more dungeon crawling please.
Spellforce Platinum - turn based strategy games are usually fun.
Populus: The Beginning - I enjoyed the original Populus so the sequel might be fun.
Myst - I missed the boat when it first was around so now seems as good a time as any to catch-up.
Chaos Engine - the retro arcade vibe seemed good, but I'm still trying to get use to playing it with a modern gamepad.
Reus - an impulse buy, I'd eyeballed it a few times and the price seemed right.
Psychonauts - I almost beat Psychonauts on PS2 but it got glitchy towards the end, looking forward to revising it.
Beyond Good & Evil - I gave in to the hype after years of hearing how awesome BGE is.
Hotline Miami - wanton violence stealth game with retro graphics and chiptunes... sounds like my kind of game.
Assassin's Creed - it seems popular, so might as well give it a try. I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum (modern action gaming?) so might like this.
Syberia - point and click adventure games are fun.
Soul Reaver - impulse buy.
Two Worlds II - yeah, actions RPGs! [even though I already have it on Steam]

So far Giana Sisters, Rayman Origins, Don't Starve, and Rogue Legacy have been total steals for the price that I've enjoyed... now I just need to find more time for gaming.
dal4fsu: Theme Hospital - Still kind of shaking my head at this one. Don't really know why I did it at this point but oh well. Pure Impulse
Theme Hospital may seem cartoonish/cutesy but and I can see how the appeal might not be apparent immediately but it's a fun game, despite the lukeware premise/presentation.
dal4fsu: Theme Hospital - Still kind of shaking my head at this one. Don't really know why I did it at this point but oh well. Pure Impulse
undeadcow: Theme Hospital may seem cartoonish/cutesy but and I can see how the appeal might not be apparent immediately but it's a fun game, despite the lukeware premise/presentation.
I'm willing to give it a shot. It's like you said the initial buzz with it seems off though. I have heard it can be difficult though so it might present an interesting challenge.
undeadcow: Theme Hospital may seem cartoonish/cutesy but and I can see how the appeal might not be apparent immediately but it's a fun game, despite the lukeware premise/presentation.
dal4fsu: I'm willing to give it a shot. It's like you said the initial buzz with it seems off though. I have heard it can be difficult though so it might present an interesting challenge.
I'd been playing it for quite a while, and I enjoy it. It can get challenging, and a lot of folks really enjoy Bullfrog's style.
I'm fairly certain nobody actually cares about which games I own, but because it's fun to make a list, here's what I ended up purchasing:

Geneforge 1-5 - I remember playing one of these, probably one of the later ones, and really enjoying it. I never quite understood what was happening in this game world though, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.
Myst - Such fond memories of playing this with my family. We used to have Myst nights when we would gather around the computer and yell instructions at whoever was in charge of the mouse that day, hehe. Now I have my own copy. By now it's been long enough that I've forgotten most of the puzzles and their solutions.
Master of Orion 1&2 - Great game. I was never all that good at it, but I enjoy the gameplay and hope to get better at 4x strategy someday.
Book of Unwritten Tales - Bought this one on pure impulse, and started playing it while the rest of the sale ticked by. I am really enjoying it: probably not a lot of replay value, but it has already earned the few dollars I spent on it, in my estimation.
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Because I've never played it and am ashamed to have to admit that fact.
Ultima VII - Never delved into the Ultima world at all, but I succumbed to the hype and will see what it's all about.
Heroes of Might and Magic V - I was passionate about Heroes 2 and 3 when they first came out, but never looked at any of the later ones. Seems worth a shot. (I bought HoMM 3 just a week or two ago. Wish I'd known this sale was coming.)
Baldur's Gate - I vaguely remember playing Baldur's Gate 2, but my memories are dim, and I'm pretty sure I never tried the first one. Good chance to catch up.
Theme Hospital - My family had a copy of this game at some point, and I enjoyed the strategizing and humor of it. This is one I wanted to have available on my computer to pull up if I feel like it.
Puddle - At the end of the sale my brain cells were half exterminated and I clicked the purchase button on this one just because. But I don't regret it; I like to have a puzzle game on-deck so I have some option other than Solitaire for casual in-between entertainment.

Thanks to GOG for the opportunity to experience all these games, and to everybody in this thread for turning a weekend sale into a truly memorable event!
A different take...
Rather than posting all that you bought, what is the game(s) that you bought that you are most excited about or have discovered to be really incredible since you started playing them? (just post 1 or 2 here).

Bought lots and lots of games (16 I think), but since I have started playing them these two have really grabbed me as just incredible games:

Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Nexus the Jupiter Incident
Post edited November 20, 2013 by northern7
DalamarNL: Has there been any comment from the gog team about this sale somewhere in this thread? I'm wondering how they have experienced all of this. Thought things would sell faster, slower, etc.

Never tried it to be honest, but I am getting curious.
bradelli: I highly recommend it. I started by reading the first 18 pages of the manual which is a story. Then in the game, rather than skipping through dialogue, reading everything just made it so much more interesting. You can interact with almost any object in the game. I can't imagine how complex it must have been to program. Fantastic game
I started Ultima VII quite a while ago, and sadly I'd only played about 30 minutes worth before I had to put it away. I keep hearing so much great stuff about it, I REALLY want to get back to it!!