It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deals so good, you won't want to fall asleep.
You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.
*This is probably not a good idea
**This is definitely not a good idea
***This is totally safe, though****
****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON
Post edited November 13, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
Infin8ty: What compatibility settings do you have? And do you have all of DX9 (Steam may install this for you when starting older games, so you may not have downloaded it yourself)? Also, for comparison, what GPU?
MysterD: I should note - I have Sacred 1 + UW from Retail.
All patched up to their last official patch.

Yep - I've had numerous other older Steam-games install DX9.

For compatibility settings on both S1 Gold + S2 Gold:
Windows XP SP2 Mode (remember, SP3 caused A LOT of games to not work properly or even at all);
Checked box on Disable Desktop Comp + Visual Themes;
Run as Admin.

Also, I should note - UAC is turned OFF.
Sacred 2 made me download a bunch of random C++ redistributables. I was very perplexed about that.
85 Copies left. I was just playing Hotline Miami, didn't think I would like it but it has an attitude about it I enjoy.
Infin8ty: What compatibility settings do you have? And do you have all of DX9 (Steam may install this for you when starting older games, so you may not have downloaded it yourself)? Also, for comparison, what GPU?

Windows XP SP2 Mode (remember, SP3 caused A LOT of games to not work properly or even at all);
Run as Admin.

Is it Win7 x86 or x64? x64 may be the killer here.
CarrionCrow: What's great about this thread is that while the game order/speed/amount or whatever has pissed me off from time to time, the people have been good.
True. Very true.
Le sigh, Husband and I want to run out for about an hour, but we're both afraid if we leave, the few games we wanted will go through. Le sigh. D: Oh well, there is always tomrrow I suppose, lol.

Run as Admin.

Infin8ty: Is it Win7 x86 or x64? x64 may be the killer here.
How many times do I have to say? I'm running 64 Windows 7.
xenxander: I have direct-x 11 installed, and I have run it with and without winxp compatibility. all checkmarks in config, none.. any combinations of them.

It won't run.
DX 11 came with Windows 7 & 8. That doesn't mean that you don't have to update the DirectX runtime, though.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Could someone please cut the line to Miami?
This is really getting boring...

Three thieves and Ms. Croft to the rescue please!

It's 4:33 here. I need some sleep... O_o
xenxander: I am running:
windows 7 64bit

video card: ASUS Nvidia 550 TI

direct-x 11 installed.

Sacred Gold won't run. Period. End of story.
Xen, I'd highly recommend you check the specific game's subforum, as it's way more likely that someone in there has had the same issue than here in the general forum, especially on a thread that deals with a sale and not a specific game.

That's one of the reasons (arguably the main reason) GOG keeps game-specific subforums.

Run as Admin.

xenxander: I am running direct-x 11, not 9.
You can have both, DX is just a graphics library for games to access. All you need are the proper .dll's on your machine in the proper folders (installing does this for you).
Daz12380: can i ask what is fisticuffs?
You don't know what fisticuffs is?
*gasps*
Barbarians! I'm surrounded by barbarians!

Fisticuffs is where two people grasp each other's forearms with their left hands, and proceed to punch each in the face with their right. First person to let go loses.
CorranHorn: Both?
xenxander: "Both" what?

yes, it's windows 7, 64.
Meant for you and your friend since you are saying that it works on his computer. I had games that won´t start on this computer since I´m using a 64-bit version, Splinter Cell 3 is one such example.
Post edited November 16, 2013 by CorranHorn
Infin8ty: Is it Win7 x86 or x64? x64 may be the killer here.
xenxander: How many times do I have to say? I'm running 64 Windows 7.
I'm asking the other guy who can play it for comparison....
jasperline: Le sigh, Husband and I want to run out for about an hour, but we're both afraid if we leave, the few games we wanted will go through. Le sigh. D: Oh well, there is always tomrrow I suppose, lol.
Any game in particular you guys we looking for?
xenxander: I am running:
windows 7 64bit

video card: ASUS Nvidia 550 TI

direct-x 11 installed.

Sacred Gold won't run. Period. End of story.
groze: Xen, I'd highly recommend you check the specific game's subforum, as it's way more likely that someone in there has had the same issue than here in the general forum, especially on a thread that deals with a sale and not a specific game.

That's one of the reasons (arguably the main reason) GOG keeps game-specific subforums.
True Story. The subforum for Dungeon keeper 2 was a lifesaver when it wouldn't run correctly for me.