It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hedwards: It does, but then you get all these spam messages about games being on sale. If you've only got a handful like I do it isn't an issue, but for some people that list could be rather extensive.
Just because I've read this stupid argument for the second time now: You know that you can easily turn off wishlist notifications? It's just one click in the settings.

And seriously, I really can't understand people complaining about this giveaway. So you didn't get anything this time (neither did I), because you didn't use the wishlist? Get over it, it happens all the time. Companies give away stuff on Twitter, Facebook or somewhere else and if you don't use this kind of stuff (like me), you won't get anything.

Next time you will be more lucky and there will be a giveaway for you.
hedwards: It does, but then you get all these spam messages about games being on sale. If you've only got a handful like I do it isn't an issue, but for some people that list could be rather extensive.
PaterAlf: Just because I've read this stupid argument for the second time now: You know that you can easily turn off wishlist notifications? It's just one click in the settings.

And seriously, I really can't understand people complaining about this giveaway. So you didn't get anything this time (neither did I), because you didn't use the wishlist? Get over it, it happens all the time. Companies give away stuff on Twitter, Facebook or somewhere else and if you don't use this kind of stuff (like me), you won't get anything.

Next time you will be more lucky and there will be a giveaway for you.
TBH, what is it with you people completely missing the point here. GOG is in the business of making sales, annoying people and making them feel resentful isn't something that leads to people buying more games. It just doesn't.

Personally, I think that this was yet another tone deaf promotion that was handled in a ham-fisted manner. Folks can place blame all they like, it doesn't change the fact that some portion of the GOG community is less likely to buy games as a result. And it's not just the ones that received free games not buying the games they were given.

It's definitely a fair point about being able to turn off the notifications, but people have all sorts of reasons why they don't want to use the wishlist feature here and it's not a good business practice to punish people for using the site in ways that the seller doesn't intend.

Personally, it's unlikely that I would have played the games even if I had been gifted them, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel disrespected by GOG and somewhat concerned that they could do this again with a game that I'm actually interested in.

Probably the saving grace here is that the people in the forum are a minority of the total customer base, so there's probably not that much ill-will tha'ts been generated by this. Kind of reminds me of that stupid insomnia sale where they gave out so few games that by the time you saw what it was, the supply had already run out. Definitely does not encourage me to buy games here.
high rated
What the? How... I can't believe it! I just opened my Game Library and saw this: Minecraft: Story Mode and Batman: The Enemy Within arrived suddenly, but there were no emails about it in my box.

Thank you GOG! I don't know what to say, it's like a miracle!
Attachments:
miracle.jpg (26 Kb)
Post edited November 24, 2018 by Cadaver747
Some people really are complaining about not getting stuff for free? What are you, 12 ?
Aelran: I got Puzzle Agent (am I the only one?) and Batman: The Enemy Within.
Thanks GOG!
I also got Puzzle Agent too. I was wondering why?
PaterAlf: And seriously, I really can't understand people complaining about this giveaway. So you didn't get anything this time (neither did I), because you didn't use the wishlist? Get over it, it happens all the time. Companies give away stuff on Twitter, Facebook or somewhere else and if you don't use this kind of stuff (like me), you won't get anything.
I rarely use any social media, but I once got a free cruise from a Facebook thing.
Of course, I knew that it was a possibility when I entered that draw, and got extremely "lucky" with that, making my Facebook luck practically 100%. Had GOG done a draw like this among their Twitter followers or whatever, it wouldn't be an issue really. I don't have a Twitter account, so I still would have gotten nothing, but at least the parameters of that would be very clear.

keeveek: Some people really are complaining about not getting stuff for free? What are you, 12 ?
No offense, dude, but you must be 12 not to understand what we are talking about here.
Free stuff isn't the issue. It never was.

Just read back, few messages ago someone said that he unwishlisted Telltale games because they are probably gone soon, and that automatically excluded him and terminated his chances of getting them. Read back, someone else bought almost all Telltale titles, and didn't bother to wishlist a few remaining ones, and missed out on them. Some other people, who don't even remember wishlisting them, possibly clicked them semi-accidentally, got them.
No one knew this was going to be how wishlists are used.

This is about GOG users not being equal, and users themselves not being able to know what qualifies for something.

Had this been some kind of lottery, losing out would be just "meh whatever" thing.
Missing out on "free stuff", and more importantly, messages about game removals, just because you don't click one heart on the game card is the issue here.
I received Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. I'm happy about that. Would I have liked to get the second season of Batman, Puzzle Agent or Minecraft? Yes, I would have, but I didn't have them wishlisted so I didn't get them. Instead of looking at the games I didn't get, I'm happy with the game I got. GOG is under no compulsion to give me or anybody else free games. We don't even know why they decided to give away these games. It probably has to do with people using their wishlists. How many people who heard about this giveaway immediately added games to their wishlist? I'm sure a lot did. Every time there is a sale gog sends out emails saying which games on your wishlist are on sale and the prices. I've bought quite a few games because of those emails. I'm sure they looked at the metrics and decided giving away a few cheap games will greatly increase revenue. For those who keep complaining about not getting games or how it's unfair, stop it! Your entitlement is showing.
hedwards: And really, all the apologists on here make me sick. This screwed up right-wing ideology that's more or less destroying the world.
>Looks at the topic<
>Looks back at hedward's post<
>Looks at the topic<
>rubs temples<
This forum really is the drainpipe of the internet.
technohat: How many people who heard about this giveaway immediately added games to their wishlist? I'm sure a lot did.
How many would have done that, had GOG publicly told beforehand about these kind of giveaways?

Most GOG users never even read the forums, so most GOG users are never going to hear about any of this.
PixelBoy: Just read back, few messages ago someone said that he unwishlisted Telltale games because they are probably gone soon, and that automatically excluded him and terminated his chances of getting them. Read back, someone else bought almost all Telltale titles, and didn't bother to wishlist a few remaining ones, and missed out on them. Some other people, who don't even remember wishlisting them, possibly clicked them semi-accidentally, got them.
No one knew this was going to be how wishlists are used.

This is about GOG users not being equal, and users themselves not being able to know what qualifies for something.
This and 100 times more this.

Should I honestly put ALL my "wished" games on the list here? That would be kind of a large list and make it quite pointless. I only do that to titles I want to have a closer eye on, given how useless the store is for tracking price changes.

They / GOG should have taken into account who bought Telltale titles in the last few weeks, how many Telltale titles are in one's account and so on. THEN you would have found a quite big base of people, who were really invested into those few missing and given away titles. Not someone who put them on a "list" and not much more.

The positive feedback they will get from this giveaway will be crushed by the negative feedback from those "excluded" by the giveaway. Negative publicity goes deeper and further today than good publicity.

GOG should try to keep their "fanbase" / old customers, because only they care about the store. Everyone else goes by prices / marketing / in-factor and goes to steam. Those people will take those gifts but will not buy regulary here.

Good work abount further alienating old users here GOG, "good work". Just like the last wishlist-giveaway which was a negative experience, too. :(
Post edited November 24, 2018 by Anime-BlackWolf
I regularly blame GOG for stupid things they do. At least stupid things as I see them, not all agree with me.

But to complain about this giveaway... Just disgusting.

I for one I am glad they did it and not only because I got one game for free.

Whiners everywhere, god damn it.
I'm a mean person.

I'm happy for the sweet gesture itself, and for the people who benefitted of it.

I'm happy for how strongly it annoys really terrible people. As all random (or semi-random) giveaways do.

Win win.

(And by that I mean : whaaaa gog is giving away for free a game that i had bought with money five years ago i is unfair to me i want a refund and apologies and my account closed. Steam would never do that to me.)
Post edited November 24, 2018 by Telika
high rated
hedwards: And really, all the apologists on here make me sick. This screwed up right-wing ideology that's more or less destroying the world.
Breja: >Looks at the topic<
>Looks at the topic<
>rubs temples<
This forum really is the drainpipe of the internet.
This topic has everything wrong with this community condensed into it. The entitlement and self-importance is through the roof.
Post edited November 24, 2018 by DarkSaber2k
high rated
PixelBoy: This is about GOG users not being equal, and users themselves not being able to know what qualifies for something.

Had this been some kind of lottery, losing out would be just "meh whatever" thing.
Missing out on "free stuff", and more importantly, messages about game removals, just because you don't click one heart on the game card is the issue here.
I still don't get it. So it's ok to exclude GOG users, who choose not to use Twitter or Facebook (which is also just one click on the "Follow me" button), but not ok to exclude users, who choose not to use the wishlist? What's the difference?
And is it also not ok to exclude users, who choose not to visit the site every day (or once a week) and because of that miss 48-hour giveaways? Or users who choose not to use Steam and because of that can't use GOG connect?

So to make it fair, GOG has to give a game to every single user every time they do a giveaway?
PixelBoy: Free stuff isn't the issue. It never was.
No, it isn't. But I truly believe that GOG isn't being deliberate about it or attempting to force people to use certain features. To me, it looks like GOG wished to hold a giveaway for these games, but, only to people who actually wanted them. Since GOG aren't psychic mind-readers and there is no crystal ball in GOG's lab either, the best way to find out who genuinely wanted these games is really through the wishlist.

Now some say, what about holding a general giveaway for 48hrs on the main site or something, so everyone will get a chance? I suspect that cost has probably something to do with it. In this round, they are giving away 5 different titles at one shot. That's a lot. Most of these giveaways are usually just for 1 game. It's probably cheaper after calculating all the totals to give them off to every wishlister than to a vast general public. The impact is also better. People will be more appreciative if they get a game they actually want, as opposed to a game they don't care about.

And well you know, similar logic could also be applied in other situations as well. If you hold a main site giveaway for a short limited time (like 24hrs), you are discriminating against people who don't visit GOG every day. If you hold a giveaway through the forums, you also discriminate against people who don't really visit the forum either.
Post edited November 24, 2018 by Nicole28