It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
Hello, my name is Toughy McToughguy and my fragile masculinity is inextricably bound to whether or not I can complete horror games. I, being the manly man that I am, have completed this game without any modding. This monumental achievement (which only hundreds of thousands of other people have achieved) has reaffirmed my manliness to myself. When I hear that others might be able to complete the game without the requisite manliness such as I possess, it takes something special away from me. Now I could just ignore it because it's a game I finished two years ago and I probably never intended to play it again in the foreseeable future, but this is a personal slight against my manhood.

P.S. If someone is having fun in ways I don't like, then they're not really having fun. So cut that out and stop having fun.
babby: P.S. If someone is having fun in ways I don't like, then they're not really having fun. So cut that out and stop having fun.
Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do, except perhaps my wife and some of her friends. Oh yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point.
How dare people play Cuphead stages on the lowest setting. Why it's not as if there's incentive to try the harder difficulties or something. Stop enjoying games in ways that are not in line with what I consider the "proper" way to enjoy them. :D
I like how this thread has twice the number of comments that SOMA's original release thread had (I suppose everyone was excited about the System Shock rerelease that day)
Neat upgrade.

I got it based on my friend's pitch "Great horror story with not much threat there". Well, not the best description :). I eventually stopped playing it because the creatures actively discourage me from exploring which was what got me interested in the first place. If I want speedrun, I can just watch a long play on YouTube.

I had the same problem with Alan Wake which I actually finished but limited resources combined with respawning enemies
stopped me from searching for novel pages and another story parts which was the main draw.

Too bad, it won't be possible to switch the mode on and off.
LittleCritter: I always felt like the hide from the monster horror gameplay was needless ballast to an otherwise stellar sci-fi story.
This.
Rinu: I eventually stopped playing it because the creatures actively discourage me from exploring which was what got me interested in the first place.
Same here. In Theta Labs there was so much story scattered around in bits and pieces, but the monster made exploring everything really hard. This design did not work for me. Quitted there.

It seems the creators did not believe that the SF experience would not sell well enough without attracting hardcore horror fans. Too bad for hardcore SF aficionados with a lower threshold for horror fiction (we pussies), or for reloading (that pursuit in the sunken submarine, another major offender).
Post edited December 02, 2017 by Carradice
babby: Hello, my name is Toughy McToughguy and my fragile masculinity is inextricably bound to whether or not I can complete horror games. I, being the manly man that I am, have completed this game without any modding. This monumental achievement (which only hundreds of thousands of other people have achieved) has reaffirmed my manliness to myself. When I hear that others might be able to complete the game without the requisite manliness such as I possess, it takes something special away from me. Now I could just ignore it because it's a game I finished two years ago and I probably never intended to play it again in the foreseeable future, but this is a personal slight against my manhood.

P.S. If someone is having fun in ways I don't like, then they're not really having fun. So cut that out and stop having fun.
Everybody knows real men play horror games because that is what real men do. They have fun because that is what real men do with horror games therefore whoever ever played horror games not the real men way must not be real men and they cannot have any real fun because that is what real men have with their horror games and they are not real men because they are pussies and everybody knows because they do not play horror games the right way which is the real men's way.
Carradice: Everybody knows real men play horror games because that is what real men do. They have fun because that is what real men do with horror games therefore whoever ever played horror games not the real men way must not be real men and they cannot have any real fun because that is what real men have with their horror games and they are not real men because they are pussies and everybody knows because they do not play horror games the right way which is the real men's way.
And if they don't dance then they're no friends of mine!
QC: .. Also, 2 years since I've talked in the forums. ..
Hey QC, hope you're doing fine! Great to see you around.
babby: Hello, my name is Toughy McToughguy and my fragile masculinity is inextricably bound to whether or not I can complete horror games. I, being the manly man that I am, have completed this game without any modding. This monumental achievement (which only hundreds of thousands of other people have achieved) has reaffirmed my manliness to myself. When I hear that others might be able to complete the game without the requisite manliness such as I possess, it takes something special away from me. Now I could just ignore it because it's a game I finished two years ago and I probably never intended to play it again in the foreseeable future, but this is a personal slight against my manhood.

Nice! :-D

Problem: some of the manly MacManlies here won't get the sarcasm in your post! ;-)
BTW, can I get this mod to use in real life?
muntdefems: Luckily Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore is taking a break, otherwise he'd find some worthy material in this thread. :P
When he gets back, though...
low rated
Breja: Yes, and I started calm and civil. Too bad you could not respond in kind. As for your explanations, they make no sense and have already been discussed by me before, like the ridiculous comparison to microtransactions you cling to.
You did not start civil, filling your posts with passive-aggressive non-insults and making the exact same jab at the start of every post is not civil or calm. It really is too bad that I chose to respond with something else other than the two non-points you repeated over and over again. I explained to you what even a child should be able to understand, in a simple and clear-cut way and yet you still refuse to even acknowledge it, instead going back yet again to "they didn't cut out a chunk of the game! you're wrong!! even though that's exactly what this new game mode does!", then you have the gall to tell me I'm the one clinging to a comparison I brought up a grand total of twice.
That awkward moment when you're trying to save face and end up looking like even more of an idiot.