It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

oldschool: With a funding goal of 25K, I think this has a good chance of suceeding.
Even if not, at least there is a product at the end, and much more likely to hit the 25k, than the 250k listed in the old drive.

Demo is still early but crashes alot, as others have posted, and as near as I can gather from the rpgcodex thread, it doesn't much care for Win7 x64. I played around with it a little, and get random crashes as well, but can't really isolate them to any specific cause. The developer used Xp x32 to code and test, so I might set up a partition with that loaded if I can't find another way to stop the random crashes. (Running 7 x64 now.)

It still has that "Old Skool" feel, and am looking forward to monkeying around with it.
nijuu: "Only pledges will get DRM-free copies of Grimoire once it is completed."

Only just noticed this. No GOG then?
This is interesting though, and comes from Indiegogo campaign comments tab:

"Cleve Blakemore said 2 hours ago

I think GOG is a really good channel of distribution for the sort of people who would want to play it, in particular. Steam meh but I will add it to Greenlight soon anyway just for the exposure."
Post edited February 19, 2013 by Dischord
JudasIscariot:
Grimoire demo! http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-demo-availabe.75724/page-90#post-2502606

GOG something something!
For people having trouble with the demo, if you left the game in the default install location, you might want to move it someplace outside of Program Files such as c:\grimoire or whatever. A lot of issues with the demo seem to be related to permissions. Even if you move it I would recommend running it as administrator because of some DLLs that it needs to have permission to access.

Personally, I tried leaving it in the default location just to see what happened but I did run the installer as administrator (not sure if that has any effect at all on the installation ultimately) and then I also set the executable to run as administrator. So far, I have only seen one reproducible crash (when exiting the story screen) and otherwise the game has run flawlessly in some cursory testing for about 45 minutes. During this time I visited all screens (I think) and explored a dungeon, overland, fooled with settings, did some combats, move chars around in my party, tested saving, loading, exiting, reloading saves, etc. No crashes.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit SP1 and my GPU is by ATI. The GPU driver is at default settings (let app decide for everything).

What I've done hardly constitutes careful testing but it does seem relatively stable for me compared to other reports I have been reading. I did not mess with any other compatibility settings at all by the way - just running as admin and it seems fine other than one obvious bug which others have reported too.
Sielle: Hmm.... UI is VERY cludgy, but that may just take some getting used to.

Big problem is it had a fatal crash less than 5 minutes into the game. I'll mess with it a bit more tonight to see if it was a random fluke.
UI is modeled after Wizardry. It is old school deliberately by design. This is part of the charm and appeal of the game to at least a certain audience including myself. There are however some enhancements Cleve has stated he still wants to make to it, including the addition of tooltips.
Post edited February 19, 2013 by dirtyharry50
JudasIscariot:
ShadowWulfe: Grimoire demo! http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-demo-availabe.75724/page-90#post-2502606

GOG something something!
Might want to wait another day for an improved installer that might help avoid at least some of the issues people are having (the permissions stuff). Cleve posted yesterday:

"I have to get a new installer with Communist override for Windows 7. Tomorrow I will put up a new version. "

So there should be an updated installer soon that I'd guess will install outside of Program Files.
dirtyharry50: UI is modeled after Wizardry. It is old school deliberately by design. This is part of the charm and appeal of the game to at least a certain audience including myself. There are however some enhancements Cleve has stated he still wants to make to it, including the addition of tooltips.
And I love the wizardry 8 UI, but this is no where near as clean. Extra clicks when you're trying to just attack with an equiped weapon (And it doesn't even explain what the difference is between a slash, bash, thrust, etc etc), very little explanation about the UI (such as having to figure out that you need to assign a task to every party member before you can execute the turn). It's not at all intuitive or clean. You're defending and making excuses for it because you want it to succeed, but in it's current state the UI is utter crap.
dirtyharry50: UI is modeled after Wizardry. It is old school deliberately by design. This is part of the charm and appeal of the game to at least a certain audience including myself. There are however some enhancements Cleve has stated he still wants to make to it, including the addition of tooltips.
Sielle: And I love the wizardry 8 UI, but this is no where near as clean. Extra clicks when you're trying to just attack with an equiped weapon (And it doesn't even explain what the difference is between a slash, bash, thrust, etc etc), very little explanation about the UI (such as having to figure out that you need to assign a task to every party member before you can execute the turn). It's not at all intuitive or clean. You're defending and making excuses for it because you want it to succeed, but in it's current state the UI is utter crap.
I think "utter crap" is a wee bit overstated but I'll admit I see this through some rose tinted glasses, yes. The UI doesn't make me feel upset. I'm sorry it seems to for you. Anyway, you could jump in on the thread over at rpgcodex and offer your feedback and suggestions. He's visiting and posting to it daily.

As for mystery with slashes, bashes, etc. this game obviously needs documentation and this is just a demo to give people a test drive. All will be explained in due time I'm sure. I imagine you can appreciate a game with enough to it that one needs to read a manual to play it.
Sielle: And I love the wizardry 8 UI, but this is no where near as clean. Extra clicks when you're trying to just attack with an equiped weapon (And it doesn't even explain what the difference is between a slash, bash, thrust, etc etc), very little explanation about the UI (such as having to figure out that you need to assign a task to every party member before you can execute the turn). It's not at all intuitive or clean. You're defending and making excuses for it because you want it to succeed, but in it's current state the UI is utter crap.
dirtyharry50: I think "utter crap" is a wee bit overstated but I'll admit I see this through some rose tinted glasses, yes. The UI doesn't make me feel upset. I'm sorry it seems to for you. Anyway, you could jump in on the thread over at rpgcodex and offer your feedback and suggestions. He's visiting and posting to it daily.

As for mystery with slashes, bashes, etc. this game obviously needs documentation and this is just a demo to give people a test drive. All will be explained in due time I'm sure. I imagine you can appreciate a game with enough to it that one needs to read a manual to play it.
A manual would be appreciated, especially since I never played Wizardry 8 and am wondering why my chars can only do less than 10% damage to fish while their attacks are in the 40%?

Btw I doubt it's based on Wiz 8 as Cleve regularly says how much he hates that game, maybe the earlier 2? Never played any just guessing.
dirtyharry50: I think "utter crap" is a wee bit overstated but I'll admit I see this through some rose tinted glasses, yes. The UI doesn't make me feel upset. I'm sorry it seems to for you. Anyway, you could jump in on the thread over at rpgcodex and offer your feedback and suggestions. He's visiting and posting to it daily.

Perhaps utter crap is a bit harsh. Good documentation would really really help out most of my concerns with the UI (well that and tool tips, and if we're talking awesome wishes, keyboard shortcuts for common things). Unfortunately with the crashes, I can't really do much with it to see if it's something I want to pre-order.

Windows 8 x64, in case you're wondering.

McDon: A manual would be appreciated, especially since I never played Wizardry 8 and am wondering why my chars can only do less than 10% damage to fish while their attacks are in the 40%?

Btw I doubt it's based on Wiz 8 as Cleve regularly says how much he hates that game, maybe the earlier 2? Never played any just guessing.
Yeah, I didn't say Wiz 8. I think it's more Wizardry 7 and even there, it takes ideas from that but also other games he has said.

A manual will be awesome for sure. When I get one the first thing I will do is read and study it front to back. The game will be much more approachable and fun then. For the time being, I feel your pain. I'm lost without documentation too. I've had fun just fumbling around and checking it out but I don't know what I am doing more than half the time.
Post edited February 19, 2013 by dirtyharry50
A manual/cluebook/documentation is going to be released with the full-game, in the Indiegogo campaign you can pledge to get either a digital or physical copy of it. According to Cleve the crashes in the demo aren't bugs in the game's code itself, but are due to compatibility issues in Windows 7 architecture.
McDon: A manual would be appreciated, especially since I never played Wizardry 8 and am wondering why my chars can only do less than 10% damage to fish while their attacks are in the 40%?

dirtyharry50: Yeah, I didn't say Wiz 8. I think it's more Wizardry 7 and even there, it takes ideas from that but also other games he has said.

A manual will be awesome for sure. When I get one the first thing I will do is read and study it front to back. The game will be much more approachable and fun then. For the time being, I feel your pain. I'm lost with documentation too. I've had fun just fumbling around and checking it out but I don't know what I am doing more than half the time.
Yeah after seeing it was the guy replying to you who said, *facepalm. Anyway it seems pretty complex and confusing atm.
Just wondering anyone know the limits of the demo? Like how big the area you can explore is?

Sielle: Perhaps utter crap is a bit harsh. Good documentation would really really help out most of my concerns with the UI (well that and tool tips, and if we're talking awesome wishes, keyboard shortcuts for common things). Unfortunately with the crashes, I can't really do much with it to see if it's something I want to pre-order.

Windows 8 x64, in case you're wondering.
It is unfortunate that Cleve himself hasn't tested the game at all on Windows 8 and I don't know if anybody in his internal beta test crew did or not. I did read him mentioning that he hadn't run it on Windows 8. I would hope if he works out the kinks related to permissions, etc. on Windows 7, all will be well with Windows 8 too but he ought to get somebody testing on that.

On a bright note, he's getting something of a wider beta with this demo so hopefully this helps squash the major issues before he tries to release it.
Crosmando: A manual/cluebook/documentation is going to be released with the full-game, in the Indiegogo campaign you can pledge to get either a digital or physical copy of it. According to Cleve the crashes in the demo aren't bugs in the game's code itself, but are due to compatibility issues in Windows 7 architecture.
Sounds like he better have it sorted for the main release since many of the pledgers probably use Windows 7.
Post edited February 19, 2013 by McDon
Crosmando: A manual/cluebook/documentation is going to be released with the full-game, in the Indiegogo campaign you can pledge to get either a digital or physical copy of it. According to Cleve the crashes in the demo aren't bugs in the game's code itself, but are due to compatibility issues in Windows 7 architecture.
McDon: Sounds like he better have it sorted for the main release since many of the pledgers probably use Windows 7.
I think he will but then again, I believe babies can fly. ;-)
I haven't played it much yet but I'd just like to say that I'm on Win7 64-bit and as long as I run as admin, it seems to run perfectly fine.