It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Everyone loves Christmas, but what about Boxing Day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPcwiLSaJBY
I'm late in saying this, but thanks for the gift of J.U.L.I.A.!
TheDudeLebowski: Everyone loves Christmas, but what about Boxing Day?

In the Netherlands, there is no boxing day. We have two days of Christmas :) we actually call it first and second Christmas day
Post edited December 27, 2018 by skimmie

skimmie: In the Netherlands, there is no boxing day. We have two days of Christmas :) we actually call it first and second Christmas day
We got St. Stephen.

skimmie: In the Netherlands, there is no boxing day. We have two days of Christmas :) we actually call it first and second Christmas day
Interesting. Is that the 24th and 25th, or 25th and 26th (boxing day for some)?

It seems here in USA more neighborhood associations demand all decorations be down on January 2nd. Maybe it is because so many people now put them up Thanksgiving weekend. I rather miss when it was more customary to put them out from Yule through the full twelve nights of Christmas (January 6th).
bjgamer: It seems here in USA more neighborhood associations demand all decorations be down on January 2nd. Maybe it is because so many people now put them up Thanksgiving weekend. I rather miss when it was more customary to put them out from Yule through the full twelve nights of Christmas (January 6th).
Christmas officially ends on January 6th here, with the arrival of the Three Wise Men (our traditional gift bearers). So nobody in their right mind would even think about taking down Christmas decorations until January 7th.
bjgamer: Interesting. Is that the 24th and 25th, or 25th and 26th (boxing day for some)?

It seems here in USA more neighborhood associations demand all decorations be down on January 2nd. Maybe it is because so many people now put them up Thanksgiving weekend. I rather miss when it was more customary to put them out from Yule through the full twelve nights of Christmas (January 6th).
That's 25th and 26th. 24th is Christmas Eve.
There's not really a set date that people start with their Christmas decorations here, although most people wait until after 'Sinterklaas' (a Dutch festivity on 5th December, specifically for children). As for taking down the decorations; I stall that for as long as my family can stand it :)
bjgamer: It seems here in USA more neighborhood associations demand all decorations be down on January 2nd. Maybe it is because so many people now put them up Thanksgiving weekend. I rather miss when it was more customary to put them out from Yule through the full twelve nights of Christmas (January 6th).
ConsulCaesar: Christmas officially ends on January 6th here, with the arrival of the Three Wise Men (our traditional gift bearers). So nobody in their right mind would even think about taking down Christmas decorations until January 7th.
We have a similar tradition in our family, Christmas for us does not end until Twelfth Night and the arrival of the Wise Men. So while I may have to take down the outer decorations, our private decorations and household observance remain until January 7th.

skimmie: That's 25th and 26th. 24th is Christmas Eve.
There's not really a set date that people start with their Christmas decorations here, although most people wait until after 'Sinterklaas' (a Dutch festivity on 5th December, specifically for children). As for taking down the decorations; I stall that for as long as my family can stand it :)
LOL. We like the lights and decorations, but there is such a thing as too long. It could be due to some people starting to leave them out all year that neighborhoods here began requiring our own 'boxing-it-up day'. I have to admit the holiday and decorating has gotten pretty commercialized now - I think this year stores skipped Thanksgiving and went straight for Christmas merchandise from Halloween. I think there are still some areas of the USA that do have Sinterklaas festivities still, but it has been a very long time since I saw one.
Post edited December 27, 2018 by bjgamer
Had no idea Boxing Day was solely a British/Commonwealth thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

Do you celebrate 2nd Christmas the same way?
PaterAlf: ‘Tis Christmas time again. Houses are decorated, Christmas trees are lit, and the GOG forums are full of good cheer! …. Or, are they? Where’s the festive music? Where’s the good food? It seems those in charge of the festivities have botched the job, and we’re left with half a party! So come one, come all, and help us make this a Christmas we’ll never forget! Who knows, you might even find a Christmas gift in your stocking (provided you made a Christmas wish list of course) as a reward…

Welcome everyone, to PaterAlf’s and skimmie’s Christmas Surprise Party. We’d like to learn a bit about other people’s Christmas traditions. What kind of (local) songs are a necessary part of your festivities? And what’s the must-have dinner (or lunch, or breakfast, or cookies, or waffles or whatever else you like to eat in the season of good cheer)? So, in order to find out, we need your input. Post your favourite Christmas song (link to a version we can all listen to, if you can!) or your best Christmas recipe, and, if you want, please tell us why you like it so much. Stories are a great Christmas tradition, too!

To make things a bit more interesting, we’ve tied in a surprise giveaway of sorts. If you post a song or recipe, please also make sure to let us know if you’re in for the GA or not, and if you’re in, make sure your wish list is public (or set it to ‘friends’ and add us as friends, at least for the duration of the giveaway). We’ll be going around and dropping gifts in your stockings here and there if you participated (starting December 6th), so you MIGHT end up with a gift from us, sooner or later! Then again, you might not. After all, we’re just sharing for the fun of it; the GA is a bonus.
TheBigCore: I'm in for the giveaway.

As far as Christmas songs go, I always have this one playing at the minimum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BTYiy0Qi4

Can't go wrong with that at all.

In terms of Christmas traditions, my family and I usually eat roast beef sandwiches for Christmas Eve and then pasta on Christmas Day. We'll also have chocolate biscuits or whatever other chocolates we got for the occasion.
Santa loves chocolate (still)! He left a present in your stocking!
TheBigCore: I'm in for the giveaway.

As far as Christmas songs go, I always have this one playing at the minimum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BTYiy0Qi4

Can't go wrong with that at all.

In terms of Christmas traditions, my family and I usually eat roast beef sandwiches for Christmas Eve and then pasta on Christmas Day. We'll also have chocolate biscuits or whatever other chocolates we got for the occasion.
skimmie: Santa loves chocolate (still)! He left a present in your stocking!
Thanks for the gift.
BranjoHello: As for the Christmas songs, I don't really have a favorite one but like them very much in general. I like unusual things and a song called Christmas Island by Bob Dylan is pretty different and original. Unfortunately good ol' Bob don't like to share his stuff on YouTube so here is a link to some dude who is doing his best to cover for him.

No Christmas dinner can pass without the delicious Sarma. Here's the recipe. And the general rule is your Mom's/Grandmom's Sarma is the best Sarma in the whole world. :D

The optional giveaway is a nice touch and I'll say I'm in but in one condition. If one of you nice champs decide to visit my Christmas stocking please do so before the 11th of December or after 25th of December due to (all) Secret Santa event(s) going on between those dates. If that isn't the option I'll just be happy for other people's stocking getting something while I give this nice thread an occasional visit. ;)
Santa has a last game left. He left something in your stocking. :)
Master911: I would like to be in,

i rather like some of the songs that are on the tales from the crypt Christmas album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9A2h1D27M&list=PL1A560EC398D6CCF4
Because of these creepy Christmas songs you are probably afraid of Krampus. Your chimney (chat) is locked. You have to open it (or add me as a friend), if you want a gift from Santa. ;)
Post edited December 27, 2018 by PaterAlf
PaterAlf: Santa has a last game left. He left something in your stocking. :)
Thank you PaterAlf and skimmie as well! Hope you both had a very Merry Christmas and I'm sending you my best wishes for the year ahead of us! :)
high rated
The giveaway is officially over now and Santa says goodbye!

skimmie and myself had a great time with this thread and really enjoyed all the videos, recipes and stories that were posted. A big thank you to everyone who participated and helped to bring the Christmas spirit to the forum!

Feel free to post more Christmas-related stuff in this thread. Giveaway might be over, but that doesn't mean that the thread has to die (at least not for some more days). ;-)
Post edited January 03, 2019 by PaterAlf
Thanks to everyone who took part. It was a fun thread!