It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ghorpm: I have a real cool story about Christmas spirit and non-material gifts. And it happened like an hour ago!

... A few years ago I organized a Christmas event and visited an orphanage to show some cool physical experiments ... Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

Best Christmas gift ever!
How wonderful! That's a great response to your having given one of the greatest gifts of all - Inspiration.
bjgamer: ...Gentlemen would take a cloven orange and present it to a lady. If she accepted it, then the gentleman would bite a single clove from the orange to sweeten his breath, and claim a kiss. ... It is still in practice today over the Twelve Nights of Christmas among the period Renaissance performance groups and historical societies in the USA. ;)
skimmie: I see! Thank you for the thorough explanation !
You are welcome ... just don't ask how I met my wife. ;)

Not in for the GA, but Thank You skimmie and PaterAlf for continuing this again this year and please let the wife and I know if you'd like a little elf-help. :)
Ghorpm: Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

That is an awesome story and a very successful outreach! I love doing public physics experiments too!

By the way, you can pimp the balloon experiment by using some transparent green balloons in the dominoes line. If they are transparent enough, they will stay whole and the next red (or black) one behind that will still pop!
high rated
Ghorpm: I have a real cool story about Christmas spirit and non-material gifts. And it happened like an hour ago!

A secretary called me and said that someone was looking for me. A young woman was waiting for me in a parlor and she asked me if I knew who she was. Much to her surprise I did. A few years ago I organized a Christmas event and visited an orphanage to show some cool physical experiments like these (just a few examples):
Mousetrap Fission
Stylish balloon popping
Levitation is easy
Fire from above
and she had been asking me tons of questions back then so yeah, I did remember her. Much to my surprise she told me it had been exactly eleven years ago and she considered it to be a life-changing moment for her. She checked my publications record so she knew where I work and decided to visit me. Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

That's a wonderful story and a very rare gift. I work as a social worker and educator for nearly 20 years now and even in my profession it doesn't happen really often that you meet people again after years and they tell you that what you did or told them changed their life. Whenever that happens it feels like the best thing in the world, because you realize your work really means something (even if it very often doesn't feel that way).

And you really must have made an impression, if she even went to the time and and effort to figure out where you work now and came by to say thank you after eleven years!

A secretary called me and said that someone was looking for me. A young woman was waiting for me in a parlor and she asked me if I knew who she was. Much to her surprise I did. A few years ago I organized a Christmas event and visited an orphanage to show some cool physical experiments like these (just a few examples):
Mousetrap Fission
Stylish balloon popping
Levitation is easy
Fire from above
and she had been asking me tons of questions back then so yeah, I did remember her. Much to my surprise she told me it had been exactly eleven years ago and she considered it to be a life-changing moment for her. She checked my publications record so she knew where I work and decided to visit me. Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

Best Christmas story!
skimmie: Now that's an original decoration! Never heard of anythin like that. Is that a local thing or just something your grandmother used to do?

Santa loves that smell as well and left a present in your stocking!
bjgamer: It does smell wonderful, but there is actually a bit more to the tradition behind it. This tradition actually dates back to Medieval times. Clove was brought back from the holy lands and prized in many European courts. Medieval herbalists knew of its antiseptic properties and its ability to kill germs and dental pain. However the Christmas courtly tradition regarding this simple 'decorative pomander' was actually a courtly game of flirtation. Gentlemen would take a cloven orange and present it to a lady. If she accepted it, then the gentleman would bite a single clove from the orange to sweeten his breath, and claim a kiss. (Only bite the clove, never the orange - bad manners.) Afterwards, the lady would carry the orange with her flirtatiously, until she wished to bestow it on a gentleman and claim a kiss herself and pass the orange on to him. ;) It is still in practice today over the Twelve Nights of Christmas among the period Renaissance performance groups and historical societies in the USA. ;)
That is very good to know! Thank you!
Post edited December 12, 2019 by misteryo
Ghorpm: Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

Lifthrasil: That is an awesome story and a very successful outreach! I love doing public physics experiments too!

By the way, you can pimp the balloon experiment by using some transparent green balloons in the dominoes line. If they are transparent enough, they will stay whole and the next red (or black) one behind that will still pop!
Yeah, I know :) I just posted a random video to show the idea. In reality I usually bring three lasers so that we can experiment and measure what is the maximum distance that it can still pop a balloon depending on laser power and wavelength. For IR laser you can also show how easily its power can be absorbed by water.
we just started to decorate home. :D
PaterAlf: Whenever that happens it feels like the best thing in the world
Oh yes!

PaterAlf: And you really must have made an impression, if she even went to the time and and effort to figure out where you work now and came by to say thank you after eleven years!
Yeah, that's pretty shocking indeed! She told me that first she contacted the orphanage and apparently they kept records of such events so she got my name. Then she simply used Web of Science and found my current location. Initially she wanted to send a letter but as it turned out we live in the same city so she visited me instead.

... A few years ago I organized a Christmas event and visited an orphanage to show some cool physical experiments ... Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

bjgamer: How wonderful! That's a great response to your having given one of the greatest gifts of all - Inspiration.
Yes, but I was not even aware of it back then :) I just wanted to do something nice I never thought that it would have such an impact on somebody. My mind is still blown :D
misteryo: Best Christmas story!
And they say that such things only happens in movies :D
Post edited December 12, 2019 by Ghorpm
high rated
I also got an early Christmas gift: A new cheese store opened right around the corner.

Yeah, I know that's by far not as amazing as Ghorpm's story. But what can I say, I really like cheese. :D
Ghorpm: Some of them are typical for different regions in Poland (I believe #5 is from Łowicz), some of them are pretty old design (#4 an #1 in particular) but I cannot really recognize them all that well. ~2 years ago I tried to learn more about them but sadly there are not so many source materials.
Thanks.
It's sad, when interest in these things gets lost and they have mostly been passed down by storytelling/teaching, because then, those who want to learn (about) them, might not be able to find someone to tell/teach them and there is no (or next to no) written information of some kind about those things.
But at least there are pictues of Pajaki, so if one really wants to start "their own Pajaki-tradition" (without someone telling/teaching them), they could try their hand at recreating one of those or maybe even create their very own based on common ground between all of those designs. :-)
Post edited December 12, 2019 by FlockeSchnee
That's a nice read.

Sadly I don't really have anything as good to write here. There are two things I remember though.
First, when I was child in the advent everyday we were going to church (it was called roraty - dunno about English name), the thing was, every year we were making special lantern that we carried with us, often out of cardboard (but some parents were more creative :P), this days you can buy them easy but back then (from what I remember) you had to make them yourself. Obviously the fun part was that it was always dark outside when we were going, and at the church the lights was off at the beginning, and the lantern where obviously glowing. :)

The other thing I remember was that when my grandma was still alive every year we put at her house Christmas stable (kind of common I know), the figures was quite old and it was fun to do... this days we somehow we don't do this anymore (well, no kids around anymore) but I still have them somewhere. :) Ah... this were good times (apart of that small tradition that made me sick from nerves every year). :P
PaterAlf: I also got an early Christmas gift: A new cheese store opened right around the corner.

Yeah, I know that's by far not as amazing as Ghorpm's story. But what can I say, I really like cheese. :D
Many years ago, I was seriously thinking about emigrating from the Netherlands to New Zealand (where I'd lived for a year). The lack of proper cheese stores and high quality cheese (compared to the Netherlands, where there's multiple dedicated cheese stores in even small towns) was one of the (admittedly many) considerations that made me decide not to go through with it.

(By which I mean to say: I understand your happiness!) :)
Post edited December 12, 2019 by gogtrial34987
PaterAlf: I also got an early Christmas gift: A new cheese store opened right around the corner.

Too bad the Internet doesn't have a way to physically send cheese over it, because then you could put it in people's stockings. ;)
The best decoration I find for Christmas is the color RED.

I make sure that almost everything in my house is colored red (Santa's color).

From red sofa covers, to red blinders sticking to the windows, to red toilet paper, to red clothes, to red shoes, to red slippers, to a reddish Christmas tree, to reddish apple pie, I try to make everything in the house red.
After all red is the color most associated with Christmas.
sasuke12: The best decoration I find for Christmas is the color RED.

I make sure that almost everything in my house is colored red (Santa's color).

From red sofa covers, to red blinders sticking to the windows, to red toilet paper, to red clothes, to red shoes, to red slippers, to a reddish Christmas tree, to reddish apple pie, I try to make everything in the house red.
After all red is the color most associated with Christmas.
If you like the color red that much, you must be secretly Chinese. (joking)