It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One of my friends told me I should buy the simcity 2000 windows edition off amazon. The gog version is dos. He says the windows run better and music plays.

Any opinions???
I don't know about the differences between the 2 versions, but keep in mind that you'll get little or no support from Amazon. It's an old game, it might be safer to go with the one that is supported as working with your current setup.
taniawi: One of my friends told me I should buy the simcity 2000 windows edition off amazon. The gog version is dos. He says the windows run better and music plays.

Any opinions???
I don't think that there are any significant differences between the editions. The main ones I see coming up are related to the cheat codes that work in one versus the other. And GOG is selling the Special Edition which was released in part because the previous edition wouldn't work in Windows IIRC.

EDIT: That looks like the same edition that you'd be buying here. For $50 rather than $5.99 that you'd pay here.
Post edited October 18, 2011 by hedwards
I have 2000 on disc, Special Edition, and it works just fine on XP and Vista. Is the one here on GOG really a DOS version?
doccarnby: I have 2000 on disc, Special Edition, and it works just fine on XP and Vista. Is the one here on GOG really a DOS version?
But you have a 32bit operating system right?

SimCity 2000 cd is a 16-bit installer. 16-bit appplications don't run in 64-bit operating systems.

So yes it's a DOS version by necessity.
Post edited October 18, 2011 by Kabuto
doccarnby: I have 2000 on disc, Special Edition, and it works just fine on XP and Vista. Is the one here on GOG really a DOS version?
Kabuto: But you have a 32bit operating system right?

SimCity 2000 cd is a 16-bit installer. 16-bit appplications don't run in 64-bit operating systems.

Ah, ok. Makes sense, I guess.

It would be great if GOG could make both the windows and DOS version available with games like this, but I figure they can't or won't do that for whatever reason.

doccarnby: Ah, ok. Makes sense, I guess.
It doesn't really make sense, but I suppose that at some point you have to stop including libraries that are compatible with 16bit programs. Although it doesn't really make sense to me seeing as the processors can still handle 16bit programs.
KOC: It would be great if GOG could make both the windows and DOS version available with games like this, but I figure they can't or won't do that for whatever reason.
When there's both a DOS and a Windows version available, GOG always goes with the DOS version. I guess this is because DOSBox is so reliable and easy to set up, whereas getting old Windows games to run can require serious work.
hedwards: It doesn't really make sense, but I suppose that at some point you have to stop including libraries that are compatible with 16bit programs. Although it doesn't really make sense to me seeing as the processors can still handle 16bit programs.
More a 'makes sense that GOG would do that' then 'makes sense that they would remove support for 16-Bit installers.'
KOC: It would be great if GOG could make both the windows and DOS version available with games like this, but I figure they can't or won't do that for whatever reason.
spindown: When there's both a DOS and a Windows version available, GOG always goes with the DOS version. I guess this is because DOSBox is so reliable and easy to set up, whereas getting old Windows games to run can require serious work.
Well, not always. But 90% yes :P
spindown: When there's both a DOS and a Windows version available, GOG always goes with the DOS version. I guess this is because DOSBox is so reliable and easy to set up, whereas getting old Windows games to run can require serious work.
I know, I know ... but still, the choice between the two versions would be nice.
Kabuto: SimCity 2000 cd is a 16-bit installer. 16-bit appplications don't run in 64-bit operating systems.
The installer, however, would not matter one bit regarding GOG, due to them using their own InnoSetup-based installer anyway.
Kabuto: SimCity 2000 cd is a 16-bit installer. 16-bit appplications don't run in 64-bit operating systems.
Miaghstir: The installer, however, would not matter one bit regarding GOG, due to them using their own InnoSetup-based installer anyway.
16-bit windows applications don't run in 64-bit OS's. The installer is irrelevant.
Post edited October 19, 2011 by Kabuto
Miaghstir: The installer, however, would not matter one bit regarding GOG, due to them using their own InnoSetup-based installer anyway.
Kabuto: 16-bit windows applications don't run in 64-bit OS's. The installer is irrelevant.
You mentioned the installer though, the application itself could still be 32-bit (and I have no idea wether or not that is the case in this case).