It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Barry_Woodward: There are many great games that sell for under $5.99. I'd hate to think GOG is passing on quality games just because of their price. What do you think?

Vote for this site feature:

Regular price points below $5.99!

Vote for these worthy games with price points below $5.99:

Ben There, Dan That! / Time Gentlemen, Please! ($4.99)
The Binding Of Isaac ($4.99)
Breath Of Death VII: The Beginning / Cthulhu Saves The World ($2.99)
The Misadventures Of P.B. Winterbottom ($4.99)
Samorost / Samorost 2 ($4.99)
VVVVVV ($4.99)
Wizorb ($2.99)
http://breakfall.ca/marvinsmittens
Yes, here's a good example, well 5 actually...

CompUSA used to sell jewelcase versions of games for 2.99. I picked up Serious Sam 2, Resident Evil I, SHOGO and Unreal (no Na Pali expansion) for 2.99 a piece after their time on the shlves was waning. All official releases mind you
That was a brick and mortar store.

Circuit City did it too. OfficeMax (still does) and Office Depot (still does). And Computer City back in 1994.
Post edited February 01, 2013 by u2jedi
u2jedi: CompUSA used to sell jewelcase versions of games for 2.99. I picked up Serious Sam 2, Resident Evil I, SHOGO and Unreal (no Na Pali expansion) for 2.99 a piece after their time on the shlves was waning. All official releases mind you
That's because brick and mortar stores only have so much physical space. Therefore, they have to get rid of old games to make room for new ones, and it's better selling them at a loss than throwing them away. Digital distributors don't work like that. For all intents and purposes they have infinite warehouse space, so there is no such thing as a clearance sale in DD.
u2jedi: Yes, here's a good example, well 5 actually...

CompUSA used to sell jewelcase versions of games for 2.99. I picked up Serious Sam 2, Resident Evil I, SHOGO and Unreal (no Na Pali expansion) for 2.99 a piece after their time on the shlves was waning. All official releases mind you

Circuit City did it too. OfficeMax (still does) and Office Depot (still does). And Computer City back in 1994.
The reason they can do that is because those old titles were already bought and paid for by the store, then written off as a loss when they didn't sell at full price. Once that happens, they could sell them for a penny and it still counts as a profit on the books. Digital distribution stores don't really have that option.

EDIT - Ninja'd!

EDIT2 - I should also mention that I have direct knowledge of this. I used to work in inventory control services, CompUSA, Circuit City, OfficeMax and Office Depot were all clients (never actually heard of Computer City).
Post edited February 01, 2013 by cogadh
hucklebarry: I think a new constant pricepoint might confuse some.
how would it be confusing? is this the same theoretical people that can't manage to install a game themselves unless steam walks them through it(you hear about them on the we want a client wishlists. "steam is easier its too hard to open a website to buy/download and install or run games from my computer without a client combining them. You're asking me to do TWO different things. Its fatiguing")? cause if thats what'd hold gog back from pricing some games at $3 should they really be worrying about people who likely can't feed themselves either?
besides how'd it be more confusing than a site with only a $6 and $10 pricepoint selling some games at $25 like it is now?
DCT: got my support, I don't see why there couldn't be lower non sale price points like 2.99, 3.99 and 4.99
SirPrimalform: There's no reason not to now they've broken out of their old two price point structure.
crazy_dave: I voted yes for this - it would allow GOG more flexibility on older games that can't be bundled and aren't worth $5.99.
Fenixp: GOG should cut price points altogether. It used to be good to force certain price on old games they have aquired (look! Everyone's price is the same!) But now, it's pointless.
couldn't think of anything else to say i couldn't just piece together from whats already there.

Malv0isin: Absolutely Yes.

It would help sales for sure, plus bring traffic to the site. GOG would be more competitive with Steam and Green Man Gaming as well.
for example
SimonG: I would pay 6$ for this!
Starmaker: But it's $2.99 on DotEmu, and if it goes up on GOG for more than that, it'll make GOG look bad.
SimpleUser: A cheaper price but without the freebies - wallpapers, avatars etc
how many people even care about wallpapers and avatars? do you buy games for them? its nice gog has it but
I'm certainly not paying double for something to get them. Also not paying double to have the same purchase on gog. its drm free on dotemu already so what'd be the point? sure it'd only be $3 more dollars but why?
(irrelevant but on the subject why is a scan of the manual something that'd be considered a bonus extra?)

I also didn't buy any of the d&d games here. I got them bundled elsewhere(their standard price elsewhere was lower than their diamonds of d&d discount sale price on gog and when the bundle went on sale recently they asked $10 for the lot of em(also drm free))
gog has to be able to compete and on some potential products(like some older games that don't fit neatly into a bundle -see examples in other people's posts) that would mean lower permanent pricepoints when they're already drm free elsewhere.

so I don't know why they wouldn't have a 2.99 price for some things but then again I don't run gog so whatever
Post edited February 01, 2013 by pseudonarne
Computer City

the retailer was sold to CompUSA in 1998 and liquidated

u2jedi: Yes, here's a good example, well 5 actually...

cogadh: The reason they can do that is because those old titles were already bought and paid for by the store, then written off as a loss when they didn't sell at full price. Once that happens, they could sell them for a penny and it still counts as a profit on the books. Digital distribution stores don't really have that option.

EDIT - Ninja'd!

EDIT2 - I should also mention that I have direct knowledge of this. I used to work in inventory control services, CompUSA, Circuit City, OfficeMax and Office Depot were all clients (never actually heard of Computer City).
Barry_Woodward: Each game in the X-COM series regularly sells for $4.99, vote for them on the wishlist:

X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror From The Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense
tfishell: I think something else is keeping these off the site.
Gee, you don't say. Take Two/2K not being onboard has a big something to do with that.
Post edited February 01, 2013 by mistermumbles
tfishell: I think something else is keeping these off the site.
mistermumbles: Gee, you don't say. Take Two/2K not being onboard has a big something to do with that.
No, I think it's something else.
Yes, they absolutely should. Steam does it all the time, and GoG has these games from the neolithic era...seriously. Get rid of the fixed price points.
It's not just the lower price points. I would like to see some games here at GOG that are selling for $7.99 or $12.99.
low rated
People are complaining Steam is ripping them off. In fact, GoG is the one who's ripping us off.

I never buy from GoG because of that. Fair price? Don't make me laugh.

I exist here because I won FTL from GoG and had to download it from here.
I would like to see more games sub 5.99 as I have most of the games already on disc, as regards the list, i only recognise Binding tbh.

If more old games were less expensive, I would take a punt on some if they were below 5.99.
zeroxxx: People are complaining Steam is ripping them off. In fact, GoG is the one who's ripping us off.

I never buy from GoG because of that. Fair price? Don't make me laugh.

I exist here because I won FTL from GoG and had to download it from here.
Care to elaborate?

Although sometimes I do wonder if some games are worth those 5 bucks (though I heard GOG makes sure they work on current OS, so that might factor in as well).

And to stay on topic: categorically.

P.S.: Quite ironic that you got to win the game, then :D (really does seem like only new people won games, so they'd join the site ... xD)
Post edited February 01, 2013 by Reever
I see there is general agreement that the pricing could be more flexible.

Interesting that not a soul has ever voted for the [Implement more flexible regular pricing] site feature.
I agree that some additional price points might not be a bad idea. Something like: